Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Corvidaen
I've made a little dent, I guess?

Whenever I see cheap copies in the thrift store, I usually get those, just so I don't have to go the library and I can collect my reading list, sort of. stacks of purdy paperbacks 3nodding

anyone passing through -- which one first, Catcher In the Rye, or Catch 22?

Just read what you like. No pressure. I love a good bargain too. Try amazon.com. You can get some used things for a penny and then 3.99 shipping.
LilithDraco
Corvidaen

Whenever I see cheap copies in the thrift store, I usually get those, just so I don't have to go the library and I can collect my reading list, sort of. stacks of purdy paperbacks 3nodding

Just read what you like. No pressure.

I meant more, if anyone has an opinion on which one I should get to first razz

Lavish Consumer

11,000 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Corvidaen
LilithDraco
Corvidaen

Just read what you like. No pressure.

I meant more, if anyone has an opinion on which one I should get to first razz

I haven't read either, but Catcher in the Rye sounds better to me after reading the descriptions of each of them. If you're interested in the military Catch 22 would be better for you.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
LilithDraco
lividdarkangel800
FindingJackie
lividdarkangel800
i've only read the original Dracula. it was good, i liked it a lot. not really interested in reading any others. i like supernatural fantasy, and there aren't any classics that are in that genre. not that i know of anyway. except maybe dune. gotta find that one.

Just curious, have you tried to read Edgar Allan Poe? Some of his stories might fall into the genres you like. Or Frankenstein, though I have not read it yet. There's always Tolkien's works or Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, too. Fantasy is a fairly recent genre, so true classics don't quite fit into the category, but those are some books that might help broaden your horizons. ^_^ There's also Balzac's Peau de Chagrin which I enjoyed quite a lot. I believe it was translated as The Magic Skin. I wish I could give you more recommendations, but I mostly read French literature and I often don't know what has been translated or not.

i consider Poe to be more horror than sci fi or fantasy. tried Tolkien, couldn't get through it. also tried Narnia that bored me to tears. ill have to give the Magic Skin a try. im slowly running out of books. i jut recently got the rest of the Enders game book but once i get through those i think ill be done with all my new books. i want to try Dance of Cloaks and give Eon another try.

Have you tried the graphic novels of Edgar Allan Poe stories, and Shakespeare? They may have them of others too. I'm sure there's got to be a Dracula one. I couldn't stand normal Shakespeare until I found graphic novels of each play and now I understand the plots. What do you think of a writer like Fyodor Dostoevsky?

ah dude! they make graphic novels of those?! i am so there! i bet the Tragedy of Julius Caesar would be amazing! i dont usually go by author; i go by the title. doesn't sound familiar though.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
FindingJackie
lividdarkangel800
FindingJackie
lividdarkangel800
FindingJackie
lividdarkangel800
i've only read the original Dracula. it was good, i liked it a lot. not really interested in reading any others. i like supernatural fantasy, and there aren't any classics that are in that genre. not that i know of anyway. except maybe dune. gotta find that one.

Just curious, have you tried to read Edgar Allan Poe? Some of his stories might fall into the genres you like. Or Frankenstein, though I have not read it yet. There's always Tolkien's works or Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, too. Fantasy is a fairly recent genre, so true classics don't quite fit into the category, but those are some books that might help broaden your horizons. ^_^ There's also Balzac's Peau de Chagrin which I enjoyed quite a lot. I believe it was translated as The Magic Skin. I wish I could give you more recommendations, but I mostly read French literature and I often don't know what has been translated or not.

i consider Poe to be more horror than sci fi or fantasy. tried Tolkien, couldn't get through it. also tried Narnia that bored me to tears. ill have to give the Magic Skin a try. im slowly running out of books. i jut recently got the rest of the Enders game book but once i get through those i think ill be done with all my new books. i want to try Dance of Cloaks and give Eon another try.

Yeah, Poe is more horror, but I figured if you liked Dracula maybe you'd enjoy Poe's works. Sadly, I can't remember specific titles. I read them a long time ago. As for Narnia, yeah, I took a shot in the dark with that one, since I don't know you. I absolutely loved it when I read it for the first time, but I was only 10 when I started the series, so, yeah... Have you ever tried reading the Iliad or the Aeneid? Again, the writing is something you'd need to get used to, nothing like current YA novels, but maybe you'd enjoy those stories more? By the way, if you don't care for Poe, I doubt you'll like The Magic Skin, so don't go on a quest to find and buy it. XD

i think i read the Iliad back in high school. i actually would like to read it again. whats the Aeneid about? it sounds familiar.

It's basically the Roman equivalent of the Odyssey. XD It's the story of Aeneas who, after his people lost the Trojan War, went away on a trip to find a new place for his people. Some of the places he goes through are the same as in the Odyssey (which I have not read, actually, so I'm telling you based on what others told me). It's good, though. ^_^

huh. that does sound good. i have more stuff to look into now. thanks!

Angelic Muse

15,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Forum Regular 100
lividdarkangel800
FindingJackie

It's basically the Roman equivalent of the Odyssey. XD It's the story of Aeneas who, after his people lost the Trojan War, went away on a trip to find a new place for his people. Some of the places he goes through are the same as in the Odyssey (which I have not read, actually, so I'm telling you based on what others told me). It's good, though. ^_^

huh. that does sound good. i have more stuff to look into now. thanks!

You're welcome! I'm glad I could find something good for you. ^_^

Anxious Giver

I am no where close to reading all the classics, but I sure wish that I'd have time to.

I always keep one lying around for me to read, but recently, I just don't have time sad
Only over the past couple of years I started getting into "classics", not purposely , just that my interest has been changing. Though if I am not interested in the plot I probably won't care to read it.

In a relationship with davidmerwin

Shameless Bookworm

25,050 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
i'd say i've read a few though they aren't my choice in reading material unless i absolutely feel the need to read one. (which isn't very often) my favorites though include:
black beauty
jane eyre
secret garden
little women
pride and prejudice

Dapper Gaian

550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
I've read many, but certainly not all classics. Some classics I've read are the following:

-Brave New World
-Lord of the Flies
-Slaughterhouse Five (18+)
-Julius Caesar
-Romeo & Juliet
-The Scarlet Pimpernel
-Siddhartha
-Things Fall Apart
-Inferno (Part 1 of Dante's Divine Comedy)

I've also read bits and pieces of other classics, such as Homer's The Odyssey and The Epic of Gilgamesh.

One classic I haven't worked with much yet that I really want to take a look at is Metamorphoses by Ovid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff