What animal BEST describes A Black Shield

Stalking Jungle Cats (ex Panthers) 0.25961538461538 26.0% [ 27 ]
Fierce and Loyal Wolves 0.42307692307692 42.3% [ 44 ]
Other - explain in thread 0.028846153846154 2.9% [ 3 ]
GOLD 0.28846153846154 28.8% [ 30 ]
Total Votes:[ 104 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 178 179 180 > >> >>> »|

Yeah, he'd probably brain us . . .

I'm fond of that technique, actually. I don't like getting loaded down with character description, because it often has very little to do with the story, whereas personality has tons of importance. Basically, we get hair color, and that's it. The most description we've gotten on a character is Zachary in book 3 when kari is staring at his wax mold.

Valiant Jackling

Tackling an injured person... we're horrible XD But it might be the only way to get him.... Maybe I can steal those crunches of this, then he can't run/hop away xd wait.... wait, he could use those things as a weapon... damn. Anyone have a staff? I can totally *try* and fight back, be a distraction... I know how to use one in a moderately trained sense

Not a wax mold, its marble. Sorry, geeky moment XD

I think i the first book Estora is said to be fair and blond... not positive on that though.

I'll have to look back in book three and find that part. I think the hardest part about making a Black Shield outfit will be finding a black jerkin (it's the one part I do remember them having, as I remember looking it up in curiosity). I did quick search (10-20 minutes) earlier today and I only found two (one was out of stock and the other looked more like a merc's jerkin rather than a bodyguard's one). Might be something you'd have to get at a Ren fair... over priced >___< I think things like that cost $100+ at those things. I feel my purse aching already. Definitely can't afford it anytime soon... and I think I might buy a saber before I make a Shield outfit.

And with the love of the books comes very soar fingers xd crying I was sowing trim onto my jacket today. The wool is thick and hurts to push the needle through after a while >__< Ah well, I'm not giving up until it's done XD

11,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
I was just about to correct you on that, Im think on my vacation im going to be taking my Rider series, its long enought that I wont get bored and it will be nice to re-read them again...
... Estora was blond and fair , and she might even have blue eyes but thats it. Yeah the Jerkin would be crazy hard to find cheap that and the Leather Bracers in black ... that would be next to impossible!
... ouch o.0 wool and stitching ... um if you have the chance try using a thicker needle then you can use tweezers or plyers to pull and push it throught the fabric when it gets to much!
I have to sit and re-read them books. It's usually an annual thing I do XD But I've been busy with other things as of late.

Bracers. Gack! I've wanted a pair forever! They aren't cheap, but they tend to be less than the jerkin (from what I've seen of ebay prices on bracers compared to Ren prices of jerkin's anyway). It's been a while since I looked for them, but I don't think black ones are too hard to find. It's finding them in a specific styling that is >__< But if you don't care you can find them in just about any primary or secondary color (and, of course, very easily in brown)

The nice thing about bracers though is you can totally cheat them with modern archery guards XD Bracers may be thicker, but the standard archery guard covers the same area of the forearm.

So really, if you ever wanted something to simulate it, compare pricing and design of bracers, archer guards and vambraces. They're all basically the same thing as far as coverage and overall look go.

As for sowing, I'm going to have to either use a band-aid or attempt it with a thimble. Using pliers would just make the process 10x longer. I'd take the soar fingers over that xp
We'd have to attack him injured - we wouldn't stand a chance against Fastion in good health.

I could have sworn it was wax . . . because Mirwell's statue thingy was wax because his head got cut off.

Yes, Estora is blond - it mentions her hair several times. Long blond hair down to her waist and curvy - that's about all we get.

Ohh, leather. . . good luck. I would think it'd be hard to find a jerkin in the right style - or something close - even at the ren fair. You'd have to haunt different fairs. Hmm, I want something sharp and shiny, but they're expensive too. D:

Ooch, good luck with that stitching! O__O

Valiant Jackling

That is true... but regardless, Fastion seems able to hobble as fast as he can jog xd Based on the description that I can remember

The Shield's jerkin makes me curious. Is it leather or just fabirc? I know from briefly looking them up, both exist. And I know leather tends to be hot. Last thing a Weapon would want is to pass out on the job <.< Especially during the hot summer months. Not to mention leather, when taken care of, has a shimmer to it (can be faint to sharp, depending on the kind leather and polish), unless it is soft, "rough" leather. I think leather jerkin's may be more battle ready clothing (as it would be far more hardy than ordinary cloth), but I'm not positive on that.

I don't remember Mirwell's, but I looked Zachary's up out of curiosity. It's marble (the one in the tombs, I'm assuming that's the one you were talking about. The one Karigan caresses and makes Fastion clear his throat over xd Oh Kari. You're so hopeless heart )

Actually, at Ren fair you get get a fairly nice sword for $100-300 (depending on the type). Not the best of swords, probably not good for mock dueling either, but they're really nice looking and good for hanging on your belt and you could hold them easily without fear of breaking (unlike cheapo swords that you get for like $20-50). I actually held this REALLY long sword (forget the name, but it's meant for taking out horse and rider) it was really nicely balanced given it's length and not heavy at all. Don't remember the price, I think that one was around 1k. Beautiful sword though (and huge!).

edit: I think it might have been a Zweihänder, looking back at the pictures of it and looking on Wiki for sword types. I don't want to put my pics on here (because they're actually of a friend holding it), but I found this image on google images of it: Zweihander
I bet they make weapons practice moving about on and fighting with crutches. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I always had the impression that it was leather - and if you stare at the front cover of book 3 it appears to be leather. It would be more hardy and more handy in a fight. And I seriously doubt that they would be weapons if they passed out from being hot. >>;

Haha, noo, I was talking about the statues in the museum, at the beginning of the book where Kari fights Amberhill. Those were wax - and she's comparing the wax Zachary to the real Zachary. =)
Haha, I'd forgotten about the one in the tombs. Don't you love how everyone but Estora knows that Zachary and Karigan are in love? That part made me laugh, because it'd never occured to me until then that Fastion knew.

Oy, that's more money that I have to dish out. Though I waaant one. T__T
I love sharp, shiny things. I'll be drooling at the ren fair this year.

Whoa, that is a freaking awesome sword. o_o

Valiant Jackling

Undoubtedly. They're supposed to be as deadly with a weapon as they are without... makes you wonder how many weapons/fighting style they know.... Black Shield's put ninja's to shame XD ... minus the climbing on walls part, that's just ulitmate win.

Ya, but I think covers are just interpretations on excerpts they are given from the publishing house. I don't think the author actually sits down and describes exactly what everything looks and feels like. The cover could have been any number of things, the artist just chose a tomb scene (I'm basing that off the memory of all the different Harry Potter 6th book covers I saw). And I do have to admit, Karigan looks more to be wearing a bulk vest then a jerkin. Jerkin's are supposed to be mostly form fitting and I have a hard time believe Brienne (I believe it was her that lent Karigan cloths...) is so much bigger than Karigan.

Haha. I always figured Fastion knew. He's highly observant and has a great liking for Karigan (and of course his king). And who knows what Zachary might mutter in his sleep for his watchful Weapon's to hear xd

Ya, decent swords aren't cheap, but compared to a good sword (duel ready) they are rather inexpensive. Extremely well made swords could cost you a few thousand, easy crying
I just re-read an excerpt from the 1st book. Estora has green eyes.

The other thing that caught me (as I had forgotten) was, Zachary totally bowed to Karigan at the end of the book.I thought that was pretty interesting, a king bowing to a commoner (a wealthy commoner, whom had saved his life from crazy Amilton, but a commoner all the same). But, then again, by the end of the book he was becoming quite infatuated with her.

11,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
Oh - Im convinced that all the weapons know that at least Zachary is in love with Karigan - it would be something they would notice (im also conviced thats one of the reasons they are so cordial to her - that and she keeps saving the king xD) ...
And Fastion and possible a few other Know its a mutual feeling (in Book Two Fastion is the one to tell Karigan how to find the king) but not everyone!
the Harry Potter Books have different covers because there is a US and UK publisher and when they were first released there were some art-copyright issues if I remeber correctly and then they made more "adult" covers for parents who like it too! - but yeah - the cover artist try to pick some of the most memorable parts of the books (most often the Climax)

I am SOO not allowed swords or knives until I move out - my father hath made it a decree XD - which really sucks. but i would have thought it leather as well, weapons endure harsh training so a little heat wouldnt bother them, and tooled leather wouldnt shine as well as provde a measure of protection to the wearer
By the covers I meant, there were a 3 or 4 different designs for the American one. I know different countries have their own versions, but I remember looking at the different covers being voted on or something around those means for the American version of the 6th book

My dad is against weapons in the house too... but I'd just have to hide it (I'm feeling rebellious XD ) <.< Then again, by the time I can afford one I might just have my own place anyway XP

I think Fastion might help gently push Karigan towards Zachary (though I doubt he would fix them together. That's something Estora has to do). Karigan has to get around Laren somehow and throwing Zachary and Karigan in different directions isn't healthy for either of them.

You can be really strong and durable but become victim to the heat. But that was why I asked the question. Haha. The outfit could be either material. Though... embroidering leather sounds hard, but they're such an elite group, the king would more than happily throw money into their gear.

11,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
Karigan Galadheon
By the covers I meant, there were a 3 or 4 different designs for the American one. I know different countries have their own versions, but I remember looking at the different covers being voted on or something around those means for the American version of the 6th book

My dad is against weapons in the house too... but I'd just have to hide it (I'm feeling rebellious XD ) <.< Then again, by the time I can afford one I might just have my own place anyway XP

I think Fastion might help gently push Karigan towards Zachary (though I doubt he would fix them together. That's something Estora has to do). Karigan has to get around Laren somehow and throwing Zachary and Karigan in different directions isn't healthy for either of them.

You can be really strong and durable but become victim to the heat. But that was why I asked the question. Haha. The outfit could be either material. Though... embroidering leather sounds hard, but they're such an elite group, the king would more than happily throw money into their gear.

Oh I didnt know about that, Ive always have the UK covers and when the 6th book came out I was living overseas so we didnt get much american news - thats kinda neat then.

hmmm - Im not sure I agree with you there Kari. Fastion might want to help our star crossed lovers but his duty to the order and the king would probabaly prevent him from acting, esp. now that Zachary is suposed to be hitched to Estora his duty would be more to the two of them then to KariganXZachary. ... as much as i hate to admit it - he would more likely help Laren than Estora.

well the thing is - if you grow accustomed to a certain temperature or climate you can withstand more - so if you get yourself used to constant heat or cold you cope better - ie canadians travel to Flordia in December and go swimming in Ocean, but people from Malaysia find a Canadian summer chilly.
Amberhill climbs walls. >>;

Hmm, I don't think Fastion would do anything. He may want to help Zachary and Kari get together, but his duty is to Estora now too.

Hmmmm, I wonder what things Zachary mutters in his sleep? twisted

Valiant Jackling

Well, if Estora figures the whole thing out and expresses a desire to, you never know.

And ultimately, we don't really know what the Black Shield would find better. Yes Zachary is betrothed, however, is a peaceful, calm Queen going to help keep the kingdom and their king safe? There are many options to consider when you think of how deeply devoted the Shield's are in protecting the royal family and the tombs (and thus their kingdom). Estora is politically the best choice, as blinded nobles are concerned. But as far as being battle ready, knowing the feel and reality of battle and understanding tactical maneuvers for a battle field, Estora runs rather short. She may have the ability to talk peace to waring provinces, but Mornhavon is not the kind of character to be swayed by anyone (even his own men from the sounds of it)

So with this huge war about to erupt, the scale begins to sway in my mind. And I just think the Black Shield would be very aware of it too. But that's just me XP

On the jerkin. Well, yes, but even so, Mexican's will tell you they cannot stand summers in Mexico. Its too hot (heard this myself when I was down there). I wish there was a way to contact Ms. Britain and pick her brain XD Not that I'm saying your wrong, they could easily be either kind. I suppose its my more OCD side that what's to know for sure XD I get weird when making cosplay things, I want them to be as accurate as possible, I always have to harp on myself to calm it down, it doesn't need to be perfect XD

11,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
Erailea
Well, if Estora figures the whole thing out and expresses a desire to, you never know.

And ultimately, we don't really know what the Black Shield would find better. Yes Zachary is betrothed, however, is a peaceful, calm Queen going to help keep the kingdom and their king safe? There are many options to consider when you think of how deeply devoted the Shield's are in protecting the royal family and the tombs (and thus their kingdom). Estora is politically the best choice, as blinded nobles are concerned. But as far as being battle ready, knowing the feel and reality of battle and understanding tactical maneuvers for a battle field, Estora runs rather short. She may have the ability to talk peace to waring provinces, but Mornhavon is not the kind of character to be swayed by anyone (even his own men from the sounds of it)

So with this huge war about to erupt, the scale begins to sway in my mind. And I just think the Black Shield would be very aware of it too. But that's just me XP

On the jerkin. Well, yes, but even so, Mexican's will tell you they cannot stand summers in Mexico. Its too hot (heard this myself when I was down there). I wish there was a way to contact Ms. Britain and pick her brain XD Not that I'm saying your wrong, they could easily be either kind. I suppose its my more OCD side that what's to know for sure XD I get weird when making cosplay things, I want them to be as accurate as possible, I always have to harp on myself to calm it down, it doesn't need to be perfect XD

Im excited to see what she does with amberhill, Did you know that he wasnt suposed to be as big a character, she said in a interview that "He wasn’t even supposed to have a name. He was just supposed to be an anonymous, minor walk-on character who caused some trouble to advance the plot, and then disappear." ... so I wanna know if she'll keep him or not ... I really wish she would.

And in the semi-distorted words of Mara(too lazy to find the quote): the Riders History is shrouded in mystery but they weapons LIVE as Enigma - and I think they like it that way. Well never really know what the weapons are thinking or how they feel about anything. esp. the kings decisions.

... oh and there technically IS a was for you to contact Miss Britian you know - on her website there is an address you can use for fan-mail. If you were truely desperate you could write her a letter ... oh and send her a picture of your Cosplay that would be neat!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff