What animal BEST describes A Black Shield

Stalking Jungle Cats (ex Panthers) 0.25961538461538 26.0% [ 27 ]
Fierce and Loyal Wolves 0.42307692307692 42.3% [ 44 ]
Other - explain in thread 0.028846153846154 2.9% [ 3 ]
GOLD 0.28846153846154 28.8% [ 30 ]
Total Votes:[ 104 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 178 179 180 > >> >>> »|

I totally have to agree with you biggrin
Stupid movie directors, never mind books, DBZ the movie made my eyes and ears bleed even before it's release. O GOD WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THE STORY LINE! They made it like spiderman D:

For me, GR would make an amazing anime, though I am not sure Ms Britain would want that to happen as she has no clue about real anime and will think of normal american cartoons... you know, the crappy ones D:
She even mentioned something about if she didn't make readers get attached to her characters then they will be like cartoons... I can't remember exactly what it was but it was in one of her interviews.
Basically stating that cartoons have no feelings or emotions TT__TT

I don't blame her, she's not the only one I tell ya.

Valiant Jackling

Ace Ryn Knight
I think I would be hesitant to support an animated version of the series. I think a lot of the magic and fantasy would be lost in the translation to animation.

I can also understand how difficult it would be for anyone to embody a flesh and blood representation of these characters while remaining true to the spirit of the books and the air of high fantasy that comes with them, but I think it can be done.

I don't believe that special effects are an issue in any way, as there have been films and television programs that have had simply spectacular effects that could be applied to a screen adaption of the series..

That said I wouldn't be opposed to a live action t.v.show..

I'd give the thumbs up for a 2D animated movie, but not a cartoon (or anime). I don't know how I'd feel about it being in 3D though... as much as I love 3D animation there is a certain quality and magic about 2D that is simply irresistible.

I'd be cool about it going live-action too. It could make an excellent movie.

But no matter what genera it would be made in you would need people who love the book involved in its creation. If you don't you get crap for movies.

As for special effect. It has come really really far. It'd surprise you what they can do. Tehre have been times when I didn't think the effects were done in 3D, but they were. Actually, most movies you go see have VFX in them biggrin

And there are some super amazing American cartoons. I can name more that I like than I can anime wise. The reason Ms. Britain probably said that if people didn't feel for here character's they would be cartoons is because most cartoons don't follow a distinguished plot line. Each episode has their own thing going on and to be honest, most modern cartoons (anime and not) are garbage. Even though anime's are an extended story the vast majority of anime's I do like, I will admit I have no attachment to the characters what so ever, my reactions to the show are based more on the situation than my feelings for individuals (might just be me though). I remember loving character in cartoons that I grew up in. Now I watch modern ones and I don't have any attachment to them. Not to mention most cartoons these days have gotten vile with all the gross humor. The art of story telling is being lost on modern day cartooning. Very few memorable and well crafted cartoons are coming out - Avatar is one of those rare ones.

Avatar, by the way, may be using the "anime style" but Japan does not consider it an anime. Avatar is also far better animated than any anime I've seen and I used to be obsessed (so to speak) with anime when I was in high school

I personally shudder to think of my favorite GR characters being made into bishi's. Because bishi's are never loved for their personalities is always "OMG!!!11 He's so hot!! he's MINE!"

Valiant Jackling

Tarantellatears
To digress from the topic . . .: The Romeo and Juliet anime is adorable, but it's also really cliche. The opening is pretty though. =)

On topic:
Live action always spoils books for me though. I've only ever seen one GOOD book to movie adaptation that stayed true to the book, and that was LOTR - and even then they strayed, left things out, yada-yada. Basically, my main objection is that movies that are adapted from books tend to be half-hearted attempts at box-office sellers. The effects are never what they could be (I do understand that effects can be spectacular, but I've rarely seen them done well in an adaptation), and they try to change to story SO MUCH. They change endings, characters, plots . . . Basically, I don't trust the movie industry - I've had too many of my favorite books absolutely ruined by them. Gosh, just look at Ella Enchanted or The Golden Compass - or even Inkheart! AH! It drives me insane!

I just downright disapprove of a series. It would ruin it (I do speak from experience here).

Perhaps it's better off being left a book, the way we all love it. =)

Haha. You know, usually I would agree with you, but a part of me wants to disagree a bit here.

I took a class a few years back on movies made from book and it stressed (very deeply) that the movie is an interpretation of the book. There really is no way to get everything from a book into a movie (if its a book with any good number of pages) and the problem with movies is people watch them for entertainment. In books you tend to have times when there is a lull in the action, even if that lull is important to the plot. However in film, if you let that go on too long viewers lose interest. So its something of a back and forth juggling act. And really, sometimes scenes can just bite the dust or me merged with other ones.

Just look at Harry Potter. The first two movies stayed very true to the books, but they were boring as all hell. Then the 3 and 4 (I stopped watching them after 4 because I deemed them complete garbage) were more actiony and less book true.

That's why books into movies are hard. Finding that good safe ground between entertainment and true to the book is really hard.

So LOTR might not be 100% to the book, but they are really awesome movies that stay pretty close given how long the movies were and how thick each book was. And that only happened because Peter Jackson loved the books.And that's what you need. People who are in it for the love of the tale more than the money
I like avatar, it has great animation and all but I have seen animes with a better story line than it.
The thing about anime is the art, in america this art is VERY rare (as with avatar). I hate most american made cartoons for their art style, I can NEVER get attached to characters in american cartoons because the story line is never effective and ofcourse the art work is just not humanised enough (lol, is humanised even a word? xD).

Anime is just a masterpiece! <3 As I said before, its like reading a fantasy filled book.

A 3D movie that I loved is also anime style, Final Fantasy Advent Children.

GR should DEFINATELY be made into an anime series, I don't think a live action movie will ever work out =/

Oh, did you see the link I posted earlier? Romeo and Juliet, anime. Story is abit different with a fantasy element but still great. The art is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0YmTI_pFRM

Watch in HQ.
I've never heard Advent Children called an anime. It's not anime style, just made in Japan. Wikipedia calls it a CGI film, which is really just what it is.

To be honest, I think I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw GR as an anime. The books deserve much more love than that. Its not to say anime's don't have good stories, many of the ones I have seen do, but anime isn't all that well animated. By nature it has a limited animation style. Its just what it is. Not to say American cartoons aren't either, but that's why I have to say I'm completely against a cartoon show. And why I'm against anything anime style in general. (Um.. limited animation is like when you move your arm just your arm moves instead of how it actually functions where your shoulders and back go with the movement, even slightly. Or when you roll your eyes, just your eyes move. It was a style created out the need to make cartoons cheaper and faster to make)

It bugs me that when anime characters talk all that moves is their mouth. You'll have several seconds of talking and all that moves is the mouth, no expression change, or any other movement for that matter (and the lip sync, sorry to be blunt, usually is pretty bad too - referring to the subtitled kind, not the dubbing). You might, just might, have a blink. And anime expressions tend to be stereo typical. If you've seen it once you seen it all type of thing.

It probably comes from having studied animation. It's not to say I don't like anime. I appreciate it for what it is and I do have a few favorites (though I like them for their stories, not their animation), but if GR were to ever be animated in 2D I'd rather see it fully animated. Not limited. The fluidity of Disney films (not talking the Disnification of stories, but the style of their 2D movement) is more what I would want to see. Even if you hate Disney you could say, the style of movements in other great 2D films like Curious George (the newer film) and Iron Giant. Not to mention the art styles of Disney, Curious George and Iron Giant are brilliant. Anime is notorious for having character that look identical, just have different hair and clothing styles.

Its that fluidity of movement that is part of what makes 2D films magical I think.

Really, the only anime's I've come across that I like both story and animation for is the anime films of Studio Ghibli. But their movements aren't stuck in the limited style, they're actually pretty fluid if I can remember correctly.

...erm, sorry if it seems like a rant sweatdrop I'm just passionate about animation, so I like talking about it xp
I'll agree with Kari. I know when I'm outsmarted.
Really though, when I said an anime, I was thinking something on the lines of Ghibli. I have seen some beautifully animated anime that is extremely realistic in it's style. I wouldn't want just anyone to do it, but I do believe that anime can be realistic and beautiful in some cases. Disney does do excellent animation however - it's a shame they've switched over to CGI lately . . . I'm so psyched about the Princess and the Frog though - I miss their animated movies.

@ Era:
Well, I know that they have to leave some things out of the movie - it's hard not too when you're trying to squash an entire book into two-is hours. I get the necessity, it's just the things they decide to leave out or add that make me scratch my head. Take the HP 6 movie for example. They took out several action scenes in the book, and replaced it with one or two completely unnecessary scenes that didn't make sense. They sacrificed action for laughs, and the result was rather boring.

I will always support the people who genuinely love the books.

This isn't to say that I don't like movie adaptations that are different from the book - it just depends on how they're done. For example. Slumdog Millionaire the movie is COMPLETELY different from the book - and yet it's absolutely amazing. I believe there's a way to do adaptions/interpretations, and I approve of the ones who change things around, but keep true to the tone and voice of the story. I just think that not many people do so. =(

As for CGI - I know it's in almost every movie, I can tell, and it bugs the CRAP out of me. I understand the need for it, but I hate it because it's so BLATANT. There will be a scene, brilliantly shot, gorgeous, and the CGI, in my face. It spoils the whole thing. So . . . I'm not a fan of it - which is one reason I've been choosing to advocate animation here, because GR would take quite a bit of CGI.

I also vote animation because I've seen numerous anime/cartoons where I HAVE gotten extremely attached to the characters. I may just be weird though.

@ Rose: Yeah, I saw it. =)

Celestial Rose- Don’t get me wrong, I love anime- Code Geass is the best thing that ever happened to my life. I simply think that it would be more difficult to convey all the spectacular little intricacies of the book via an animated format. Believe me; I am NOT by any means in favor of a film adaptation, I would however be open to a television series.

Example- True Blood. It’s a show currently running on HBO. I find the show follows the books upon which it is based exceptionally well. The first season, which had a total of twelve episodes, was almost exactly part and parcel the entire first book of the series. Adaptations don’t always kill the novels upon which they’re based.

Tarantellatears- I think that the LotR movies are one of the better screen adaptations that exist today. I know they left things out but if I recall correctly that was because the timeline of events throughout the trilogy wasn’t exactly linear to begin with and the set up of events would have been difficult to follow on screen. I don’t believe GR would have that problem as comparatively the novels timeline/series of events are much easier to follow. I know. I just finished re-reading the LotR trilogy yesterday.

I also understand what you mean about Ella Enchanted. That was an abomination. Even though I thought Hugh Dancy was totally cute.

Eraliea-Thank You! That’s it exactly!

Karigan- Another fine point. I could support a Disney style of animation. Like something out of the company’s Renaissance period. The newer stuff, not so much.

Still think I could support a t.v adaptation. I’ve seen it done exceptionally well before and I believe the books would be suited to something more along those lines. The fact that we could get twelve to twenty hours per season of these most awesome characters is all the convincing I need.
Ace Ryn Knight

I also understand what you mean about Ella Enchanted.

My childhood, slaughtered before my very eyes. Sacrificed for cutesy rhyming and fairies dressed like sluts with glittery make up and fan girls and ogre butts (The original ogres were awesome!!! What's with that? Come on, break with tradition, make them smart Hollywood!) and singing elves who want to be lawyers. I cried and simultaneously wanted to kill someone in the most violent manner.

Yeah, the time-line for the books is pretty weird. If you watch the extras on the DVD there's an interview with Peter Jackson ranting about trying to put everything in linear order. =)
Personally, rather than seeing GR as any type of animated/live action media, I've always wanted to see it adapted into some kind of comic or manga. I find that with non-moving 2D forms, you can spend a lot more time on the art and you can also keep the story closer to the original. Maybe its just because I read so many webcomics or manga, but my own personal imagining of most stories (like, in my head) are in comic style, and GR is one of the ones I would most like to see illustrated.
firsthandtengen
Personally, rather than seeing GR as any type of animated/live action media, I've always wanted to see it adapted into some kind of comic or manga. I find that with non-moving 2D forms, you can spend a lot more time on the art and you can also keep the story closer to the original. Maybe its just because I read so many webcomics or manga, but my own personal imagining of most stories (like, in my head) are in comic style, and GR is one of the ones I would most like to see illustrated.

I LOVE YOU.
YESSSS manga is an excellent idea!

11,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
Son-of-a... Alway when Im away is when we get busy ... at least there is only a few themes.
Tour
Alot of authors like to skip Canada on their tours and not many travel outside of the states - but im with Kari if she came to NY (like near buffalo) I'd totally be able to see her since I live near the border. I'd suggest a petition to get her to travel more, but I'd rather have her writing really!
As for a Movie - I dont think Id mind so much the thing with a film adaptation is just that an adaptation not a direct copy ... I wouldnt really like an animated film I alway pictured the characters as Real in my mind and I dont think they could do the settings like the Green Cloak or Lost Lake in an animated feature ... Unless it was like advant children ... even Reniasance Disney just wouldnt work for me.
... Off topic Movie comment! but I just found out that M. Night Shyamalan is making a Live action Avatar movie its called "The Last Airbender" and looks pretty good actually.
Characters
I always pictured Kari similar to the the covers - thinner with narrow hips and a smaller build (I mean she cant even support a sword belt) and lighter and thinner hair ... but pretty much the same as the book ... but all the characters were pictured as human and real!
Twiganut
I just found out that M. Night Shyamalan is making a Live action Avatar movie its called "The Last Airbender" and looks pretty good actually.

It's basically the Avatar TV-series squished into a movie. I'm apprehensive about Shyamalan directing it though, because it's SO different from everything he does. Then again, the man seems set on surprising us. I hope it works out well, but I am extremely skeptical . . .
Sorry to dump the mess on you Twi - welcome back! ^^
Re Avatar: Its only first season - a bit more manageable to get into one movie but still. A bit of a daunting task.

And oh god the difference between film adaptation and a direct copy of the original work is one that so many people just do not understand. All of the HBP hate is really annoying me because people expect it to be an exact replica of the book. But yes, any other version we get (either animated or real or whatever) would be necessity be an adaptation. I wonder what they would cut or change?

11,750 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Megathread 100
Oh .. with my luck they would take out me Fave parts because they are the light comedic relief stuff ... srsly in the last few big movies adaptations ive seen my fave stuff is always missing crying ...
... oh and its not a mess It makes me happy to see this thread active really <3 I just hate playing catch-up!
Twiganut
Oh .. with my luck they would take out me Fave parts because they are the light comedic relief stuff ... srsly in the last few big movies adaptations ive seen my fave stuff is always missing crying ...
... oh and its not a mess It makes me happy to see this thread active really <3 I just hate playing catch-up!

Or you would have something like Transformers 2 - way too much sexual "humor"

But having light humor in an other wise serious film is important. It breaks it up and gives the viewer a light reprieve. But ya, a lot of those "light sections" would probably be thrown to the bonfire

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff