Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

This thread is devoted to Franz Kafka and his philosophical novella, The Metamorphosis.

Kafka left many of his works unfinished, but even still is famous for his unique writing style and surreal content. The word "kafkaesque" is an adjective named after him:

dictionary.com
Kaf·ka·esque /ˌkɑfkəˈɛsk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kahf-kuh-esk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or resembling the literary work of Franz Kafka: the Kafkaesque terror of the endless interrogations.
2. marked by a senseless, disorienting, often menacing complexity: Kafkaesque bureaucracies.

The Metamorphosis is one of his most popular novels. It tells the story of a typical man, Gregor Samsa, a travelling salesman working to provide for his family. Within the first sentence, it becomes apparent that Gregor has a bigger dilemma: somehow, overnight, he has been transformed into a gigantic vermin.

It goes on to describe his many efforts to try to live with his insect-like state, but as I'd like to leave something for you all to read and discuss, I'll cut myself off. wink

So! Has anyone read the book? Anyone have positive or negative reviews, theories about, or expressions of pity for Gregor?

And please, let's put spoiler warnings if necessary. I wouldn't want to ruin the book for anyone!
It's one of the best books I read.

I think that Gregor Samsa's metamorphosis was based on the way he was treated by his family...but that's my guess...
I loved this book.

Franz Kafka was alienated, by his father and by the fact that he was a German speaking Jewish man. The way he wrote, to me, shows a lot of isolation and the need to come to terms with his father's disappointment.

Gregor Samsa was a reflection. Kafka's father was a selfish business man who didn't care much for his son, and the is how Gregor is treated when he becomes a vermin.

I absolutely loved this book.
Ah! That book was too depressing for me. It was still good, though.
It's a subtle and concise work of literary genius which embodies the essential social characteristics and pyschological atmosphere of human existence in modernity.
That book has the best opening sentence in the world!
I am desperate to read this book. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it, and I have a few other books in my way, specifically Dante's Inferno and Slaughter House Five, which have also been on my reading list for a long, long time.
Sergeant Sargent
I am desperate to read this book. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it, and I have a few other books in my way, specifically Dante's Inferno and Slaughter House Five, which have also been on my reading list for a long, long time.

You probably won't be able to find it on its own easily, because it usually is in a collection of Kafka's short stories. And it really doesn't take too long to read because it's so short if you were interested in it.
Kerashii
Sergeant Sargent

You probably won't be able to find it on its own easily, because it usually is in a collection of Kafka's short stories. And it really doesn't take too long to read because it's so short if you were interested in it.

I heard it was only around 60-70 pages.

Dapper Dabbler

Sergeant Sargent
Kerashii
Sergeant Sargent

I heard it was only around 60-70 pages.

I don't recall how many pages there were exactly, but it only took me a few hours to read. It's a very short book, and that's another reason I think it's so great. You don't need huge flowery words in every sentence to get a point across. biggrin

Sergeant, I hope you get to read it soon. (Off topic, but Dante's Inferno was excellent, too).

Dapper Dabbler

Kerashii
That book has the best opening sentence in the world!

Hahah, I agree. All the shopping bags I have from the bookstore, Barnes & Noble, have this sentence on them (along with a bunch of others, but still). It was neat to see when I first noticed it. razz

kawaii.milkshake
Ah! That book was too depressing for me. It was still good, though.

It is depressing. D:
Poor Gregor. Sort-of spoilers: I hated his father after the incident with the apple and didn't want to read anymore. sad
Sergeant Sargent

Slaughter House Five was brilliant, yet very disturbing. Dante's Inferno was great also.

Off topic, but I just thought I'd get that out. mrgreen
I thought it was a good book, but I still have nightmares about getting an apple lodged in my back. Irrational? Yes. Terrifying? You betcha.
Kerashii
Sergeant Sargent

I found the book on it's own...I still want to read the rest of Kafka's books though...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff