Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
@ The birth control book- OH GAWD. It is written in all capslock! gonk That is awful. Was this even edited? How does this have more 5 and 4 star reviews than 1 stars? (the 1 star reviews are numerous)

Oh wow, so it was written by a woman. .___. This is just... weird. And... xD I think that is an old picture of her on the cover or something. Who does that unless if it's a biography? That is one of the worst covers I have ever seen. And it costs... 135 dollars. Seriously, that is absolutely insane for any book unless if it's a text book or very large informative text such as an encyclopedia.

Hehe, but this review made my day:

Quote:

My wife and I were actually quite impressed with this item. Between the two of us it took 9 days to finish and I must say I found it hard to get used to during the first few sittings, but gradualy became more comfortable as time went on.

Although neither of us paid too much attention to the content, the sheer volume and quality of the paper contained within was pleasantly suprizing. The paper feels crisp, heavy and tough, yet the pages seperate with just the slightest tug of a thumb and forefinger.

The only real controversy this book created for my wife and I was mostly my fault. You see after I finished the last page I was too lazy to replace the book with another and I left the empty cover sitting on top of the sistern. Let me tell you I copped a nagging!

Overall the item was an interesting change, but we found it a bit expensive and not as suitable as the regular stuff available at the supermarket. Together my wife and I have decided just to stick with normal sorbent two-ply rolls from now on, and would suggest others do the same.

The reviewer implied they used it as toilet paper. emotion_awesome 4 star review. Good to know that not so many people approve of it.

EDIT: Yeah, I see no positive ones. They're really sarcastic and they amuse me.

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Belethiel
@ The birth control book- OH GAWD. It is written in all capslock! gonk That is awful. Was this even edited? How does this have more 5 and 4 star reviews than 1 stars? (the 1 star reviews are numerous)

Oh wow, so it was written by a woman. .___. This is just... weird. And... xD I think that is an old picture of her on the cover or something. Who does that unless if it's a biography? That is one of the worst covers I have ever seen. And it costs... 135 dollars. Seriously, that is absolutely insane for any book unless if it's a text book or very large informative text such as an encyclopedia.

Quote:

My wife and I were actually quite impressed with this item. Between the two of us it took 9 days to finish and I must say I found it hard to get used to during the first few sittings, but gradualy became more comfortable as time went on.

Although neither of us paid too much attention to the content, the sheer volume and quality of the paper contained within was pleasantly suprizing. The paper feels crisp, heavy and tough, yet the pages seperate with just the slightest tug of a thumb and forefinger.

The only real controversy this book created for my wife and I was mostly my fault. You see after I finished the last page I was too lazy to replace the book with another and I left the empty cover sitting on top of the sistern. Let me tell you I copped a nagging!

Overall the item was an interesting change, but we found it a bit expensive and not as suitable as the regular stuff available at the supermarket. Together my wife and I have decided just to stick with normal sorbent two-ply rolls from now on, and would suggest others do the same.

The reviewer implied they used it as toilet paper. emotion_awesome 4 star review. Good to know that not so many people approve of it.

After looking at that book, I feared for our future. I still unfortunately do to some extent.

Unsealed Dabbler

Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

Quote:

After looking at that book, I feared for our future. I still unfortunately do to some extent.
I don't know, stumble upon sent me to it as a result of a "humor" search, all the sarcastic 4 and 5 star reviews made me quite happy. It was funny even if the writer was serious.

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

Quote:

I don't know, stumble upon sent me to it as a result of a "humor" search, all the sarcastic 4 and 5 star reviews made me quite happy. It was funny even if the writer was serious.

Crazy enough though, some religious nuts do go for that, but yeah, I can see the humor in it for some people. I'd like to find someone to riff that book. XD

Prodigal Mage

Belethiel
Oh, no no no... what I meant by that was that not all men, or the only male in the story should be portrayed that way. :l You know, the same way Twilight appears misogynistic by portraying women as weak and stupid?

I wouldn't want to read a story that makes men look like monsters, if the controlling psychopath was the only male main character, it would bother me. There needs to be someone who is opposite of him, sane and loving. It's just to avoid unfortunate implications, you know? Just to say, "Hey, not all men are predators or only after sex."

I see your point about a hypothetical story in which every male character is portrayed as a monster, but if there's a story with only a single main male character (the antagonist, in this case), then to me it is what it is--a single character who happens to be the villain of the piece. It's a man being portrayed as a monster, not men, so if someone is offended, well, okay, but I really don't think it's an author's job to pander to every single member of a potential audience and hope that something doesn't offend them. To me, a story like the one you suggested would be stronger if the female character does not find herself a male ally--to show that she is strong in and of herself, that she does not need a man to rely on.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Belethiel
... How... how can people think it's romantic? I wouldn't mind if this guy turned into a villian, a predator who preyed on naive women with low self esteem. That would be interesting to read about, and even better when the woman wises up and turns against him. Of course, it would have to be played right so it doesn't look like misandry.... a good balanced for that would be the protagonist finds an ally or falls in love with, a perfectly normal man.

Too bad I'm only interested in writing fantasy and science fiction. emotion_awesome And I may be to young and immature to write about such things and do it well.

Nonsense! (I lol'd) You're never too young to write about love! But you can be too young to depict it accurately.

Meyer: 6
James: A very, very, VEEEEERY ******** up 13 year old boy

To clarify, I say "boy" not to discriminate, but because this book is so mysoginistic I can't help but assume that mysoginistic women hate their gender so terribly and wish to be born in the other.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Alexander J Luthor
Belethiel
... How... how can people think it's romantic? I wouldn't mind if this guy turned into a villian, a predator who preyed on naive women with low self esteem. That would be interesting to read about, and even better when the woman wises up and turns against him. Of course, it would have to be played right so it doesn't look like misandry.... a good balanced for that would be the protagonist finds an ally or falls in love with, a perfectly normal man.

Too bad I'm only interested in writing fantasy and science fiction. emotion_awesome And I may be to young and immature to write about such things and do it well.

Nonsense! (I lol'd) You're never too young to write about love! But you can be too young to depict it accurately.

To clarify, I say "boy" not to discriminate, but because this book is so mysoginistic I can't help but assume that mysoginistic women hate their gender so terribly and wish to be born in the other.

Maybe James has an inner psychotic yet "EWWWW! GIRLS!" 13-year-old boy in her that's just waiting to come out. I don't know.

@Bele: Depends on how you write the love. If you "sledgehammer" it into our heads that these people are in love, then you're doing it wrong. If you show it in a genuine yet not as subtle way, then it'll be worth reading to the audience.

But Bella Ana doesn't see that through Gaston her life is going to be shitty. She doesn't see his motives or the true reasons on why he wants her.
(I can't force myself to call him Christian. I like that name too much.)

Unsealed Dabbler

Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

Quote:

Crazy enough though, some religious nuts do go for that, but yeah, I can see the humor in it for some people. I'd like to find someone to riff that book. XD
The people who take books like that seriously are the ones that make me wary of organized religion anymore. I don't know that you could find anyone wiling to buy the book to riff it.

Slightly more on the original topic, I got an email today from one of the places I get review copies from using Fifty Shades of Grey as a standard for their new line of "hot" erotic romances. It made me sad for the publishing world.

Demonic Businesswoman

10,825 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Review Fifty Shades of Grey? Scary.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
haunting heaven
Belethiel
Oh, no no no... what I meant by that was that not all men, or the only male in the story should be portrayed that way. :l You know, the same way Twilight appears misogynistic by portraying women as weak and stupid?

I wouldn't want to read a story that makes men look like monsters, if the controlling psychopath was the only male main character, it would bother me. There needs to be someone who is opposite of him, sane and loving. It's just to avoid unfortunate implications, you know? Just to say, "Hey, not all men are predators or only after sex."

I see your point about a hypothetical story in which every male character is portrayed as a monster, but if there's a story with only a single main male character (the antagonist, in this case), then to me it is what it is--a single character who happens to be the villain of the piece. It's a man being portrayed as a monster, not men, so if someone is offended, well, okay, but I really don't think it's an author's job to pander to every single member of a potential audience and hope that something doesn't offend them. To me, a story like the one you suggested would be stronger if the female character does not find herself a male ally--to show that she is strong in and of herself, that she does not need a man to rely on.

Yeah, I would rather have her that way too, now that I think about it. 3nodding

An author does need to be careful, though. :v I don't want to offend people as far as portrayals of certain people go. (and I do have to be careful... not all of my characters are white or straight) I'll write what I believe to be right, though, I don't believe in censorship.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Alexander J Luthor
Belethiel

... I meant sex, and well... in a story like that, there would be rape or something. ._.

Hey man, I never met a transgendered person who hated the sex they were born with because they were born in the wrong body. Nah, she just thinks she should be subservient because that's how her parents raised her.

Prodigal Mage

Belethiel
haunting heaven
Belethiel

Yeah, I would rather have her that way too, now that I think about it. 3nodding

An author does need to be careful, though. :v I don't want to offend people as far as portrayals of certain people go. (and I do have to be careful... not all of my characters are white or straight) I'll write what I believe to be right, though, I don't believe in censorship.

whee

True--or, anyway, an author should not go and try to deliberately offend people. But, yes, an author should write what she/he believes to be right, and if someone is offended, then, ya know, that's life. xD At least then the author can stand behind what was written instead of cringing and saying, "Well, I didn't mean it like that..."

Super Lunatic

9,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Belethiel

Quote:

The people who take books like that seriously are the ones that make me wary of organized religion anymore. I don't know that you could find anyone wiling to buy the book to riff it.

Slightly more on the original topic, I got an email today from one of the places I get review copies from using Fifty Shades of Grey as a standard for their new line of "hot" erotic romances. It made me sad for the publishing world.

That would sadden me as well, Grey is obviously a douche.

6,300 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Heckler 50
Oh god... I really wish I didn't read that...

Unsealed Dabbler

Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals
Tympest
Doctor Murdoc Niccals

That would sadden me as well, Grey is obviously a douche.
Obvious even just from the sporking, it would be terrible if romance novels as a whole started following James' example.

NightfallDuet
Review Fifty Shades of Grey? Scary.
Thankfully I didn't sign on to review it, drek like this would turn me off of trashy romance for a long, long time. I'm still wondering how there's three books of it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff