Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite little-known fantasy books are? As someone whose written an obscure fantasy book, I have a personal interest in seeing the ones languishing in obscurity get some love. This isn't a place for your Wheel of Times or your Song of Fire and Ices. I want to know what fantasy books do you love that even people who read fantasy seem never to have heard of? Tell us about it a little--what's it about, why do you like it?
I'm not sure how obscure it is: Wolfblade by Jennifer Fallon (or generally anything else written by her).
Well, I've never heard of it. What's it about? Why do you like it?
I only have one author that isn't wellknown that I like to read: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. I have yet to find many who've read her Keisha'Ra series (it's about shapeshifters).
It's a political fantasy based around the life of the sister of a king. The characters are great and it doesn't rely too much on magic (which I think can get really annoying in fantasy books).

Profitable Prophet

My favorite fantasy horror book is Troll: A Love Story by Sinisalo.

It was funny and disturbing.
BreathLessX
I only have one author that isn't wellknown that I like to read: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. I have yet to find many who've read her Keisha'Ra series (it's about shapeshifters).

I really liked this series, as well as her vampire books.
Tithe,Valiant and Ironside by Holly Black...well anything by Holly Black really! I love her work. Another good one is The Blue Girl by Charles De'Lint smile

Aged Noob

9,050 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
The Pendragon Adventures by DJ MacHale. I don't know how truly obscure it is, but I have yet to meet another person who has also read it. Its kind of sci-fi too in some of the books. I think it's really good anyways. Lol. smile

Blessed Sex Symbol

7,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
Not too sure if obscure, but as far as I know the fanbase is pretty small so I guess that counts for something, but the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

I listened to them on audio book because my favorite actor narrated them and fell head over heals in love with the series.

Heroic Smoker

The Magic and the Healing. It's about veterinarian's taking care of magical creatures in a land called The Crossroads. It's also got a subplot about evil invading armies and stuff. I'd seriously recommend it for anyone who likes urban fantasy. Also Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds and anything alse by him.
siya24
Tithe,Valiant and Ironside by Holly Black...well anything by Holly Black really! I love her work. Another good one is The Blue Girl by Charles De'Lint smile

Oh, The Blue Girl! I read that one. That one definitely should be more appreciated. It's the only book about faeries I've ever read that was actually good, and in which faeries were actually interesting. It's a wonderful take on the original mythology surrounding fae.
The Johannes Cabal series by Jonathan L Howard
It isn't only my favorite obscure fantasy series; it's my favorite series altogether.

Tipsy Bookworm

Lunar Light by Penelope Fletcher is pretty good.

Magnetic Phantom

The Crimson Bears / A Hundred Doors by Tom LaFarge
It's about two young bears and their adventures.
Apparently it is too obscure to be properly repesented on goodreads. sad
Amazon has some reviews of it, though.

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

Great Game by Dave Duncan

Prospero's Children by Jan Siegel

Dreamhunter / Dreamquake by Elizabeth Knox

Also Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster

Oh and Dragonworld by Byron Preiss and Michael Reaves.
Sounds far more generic than it is - and there are really nice illustrations too.

(You should probably not plug your own book, btw.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff