11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Anyriss
The Whiskey Witch
Anyriss
The Goddess Chronicle By Natsuo Kirino

Based on Japanese Mythology, and by a Japanese writer.

I haven't read that one. Have you read Out by the same author? It's bloody gritty.

No. I was looking to read more by the author, but my library doesn't have any and I am short on funds.
Maybe one day.

I read Out. The first half was really good. The ending ruined the entire book for me. I'd buy it at like $1 not full price (half.com or ebay.com). Or better yet, I think I might have a copy. I'll see if I do, and if you want it, you can have it.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
thejade9
FindingJackie
thejade9

There are a lot of books by Japanese authors translated into English aside from Haruki Murakami.
For science fiction, readers should try Faust (short stories by many Japanese authors and one-shot manga) and Hiroshi Yamamoto's Stories of the Ibis. For Surrealism, try Banana Yoshimoto (Kitchen, Asleep). For drama, there are Amy Yamada (Trash), Yukio Mishima (Sea of Fertility series), and Oe Kenzaburo (The Quiet Life, A Personal Matter). One of the best (and considered the first novelist in the world) is The Tale of Genji by Shikibu Murasaki (aka Lady Murasaki). It really just depends on your taste.

I'll have to look for your suggestions. I haven't read any Japanese crime or mystery novels, though my students swear by them! 3nodding

Oh, I actually have The Tale of Genji and Yukio Mishima's Sea of Fertility series on my bookshelf. I have yet to read them. What did you think of them?
Also, for some very peculiar short stories that go really outside what we're used to in western culture, you could try Yoko Ogawa. Her stories are often quite unsettling, but it's an interesting read. smile

The Tale of Genji is great! It's long, but the prose is very well written. As for Yukio Mishima, I haven't read it yet, but my husband says it's a good series, especially the first two books.

I'll give Yoko Ogawa a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

I actually hated reading Tale of Genji, haha. I had to read it for my Japanese Early Literature course and it was hard for me to get through it. Meanwhile, I enjoyed reading Sei Shonagon (said to be Murasaki Shikibu's literary rival)'s The Pillow Book more.

But anyway, if you're interested, Modern Japanese Literature is a collection of short Japanese stories written by Japanese authors and translated by Donald Keene. I've had to read a few selections for my Japanese Modern Literature course over Spring quarter. Most of the stories in there are I-novels, or stories with events that correspond to events in an author's life, but they're an interesting read. Of all the stories in there, I liked reading Growing Up by Higuchi Ichiyo, Tokyo by Hayashi Fumiko, Hell Screen by Akutagawa Ryunosuke, and Old Gen by Kunikida Doppo. We also read Naomi by Tanizaki Jun'ichiro, Deep River by Endo Shusaku, The Pregnancy Diary by Yoko Ogawa (one of her The Diving Pool novellas. Unfortunately we didn't get to read the other two), The Catch by Kenzaburo Oe, The Dancing Girl by Mori Ogai, Diary of a Vagabond by Hayashi Fumiko, and TV People by Haruki Murakami. Personally I didn't like some of these, but you probably might!

Of all the books I've read in all three of my Japanese literature courses, though, I enjoyed reading Natsume Soseki's Kokoro the most.

Wheezing Gawker

3,450 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Contributor 150
thejade9
Anyriss
The Whiskey Witch
Anyriss
The Goddess Chronicle By Natsuo Kirino

Based on Japanese Mythology, and by a Japanese writer.

I haven't read that one. Have you read Out by the same author? It's bloody gritty.

No. I was looking to read more by the author, but my library doesn't have any and I am short on funds.
Maybe one day.

I read Out. The first half was really good. The ending ruined the entire book for me. I'd buy it at like $1 not full price (half.com or ebay.com). Or better yet, I think I might have a copy. I'll see if I do, and if you want it, you can have it.

Really? I thought the ending was quite fitting.

Anyway, Haruki Murakami is Japan's most relevant active author and is a favorite to win a Nobel prize. I always recommend his books.

User Image
I like reading books by Gail Tsukiyama. She is half Japanese and half Chinese.

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
It's not written by a Japanese writer, but Memoirs of a Geisha is that popular for a reason.
It's such a beautiful book.

Kawaii Otaku

14,475 Points
  • Novice Attacker 150
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Timely Contributor 100
Does Masashi Kimoto Count OuO (Writer Of Naruto)

Dapper Dabbler

Ven Loraine Jr
It's not written by a Japanese writer, but Memoirs of a Geisha is that popular for a reason.

I have to contradict this, because the author of this book not only butchered her story horrifically to make it more appealing and exotic to western audiences, but after swearing to leave the geisha he interviewed anonymous he used her actual name in the credits which scandalized her professionally. If you are interested in the real story, read Geisha: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki, the geisha Arthur Golden interviewed for his blasphemous book. Its an autobiographical account of her life as one of the most successful geisha in Japan. Its also great if you want to know more about real Geisha in general and is very informative and fascinating.

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Silver Corin
Ven Loraine Jr

I have to contradict this, because the author of this book not only butchered her story horrifically to make it more appealing and exotic to western audiences, but after swearing to leave the geisha he interviewed anonymous he used her actual name in the credits which scandalized her professionally. If you are interested in the real story, read Geisha: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki, the geisha Arthur Golden interviewed for his blasphemous book. Its an autobiographical account of her life as one of the most successful geisha in Japan. Its also great if you want to know more about real Geisha in general and is very informative and fascinating.

I completely agree with this. Golden at first wanted to write about a struggling geisha raising her son, but after he interviewed several geisha, he had to re-write the story. I would say that these kinds of things should be left to the professionals, like Mineko Iwasaki, rather than someone who has no experience in the field. The movie was a butchery of it all...how do you get Chinese actors to play Japanese people?

Dapper Dabbler

thejade9
Silver Corin
Ven Loraine Jr

I completely agree with this. Golden at first wanted to write about a struggling geisha raising her son, but after he interviewed several geisha, he had to re-write the story. I would say that these kinds of things should be left to the professionals, like Mineko Iwasaki, rather than someone who has no experience in the field. The movie was a butchery of it all...how do you get Chinese actors to play Japanese people?

Not to mention no one from any other culture has ever been a geisha, only Japanese women can become geisha. A western male probably isn't the best person to tackle that topic. Its a prime example of exotification and the age old all-asians-look-alike racism that is fostered in hollywood. emotion_facepalm

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Silver Corin
thejade9
Silver Corin
Ven Loraine Jr

Not to mention no one from any other culture has ever been a geisha, only Japanese women can become geisha. A western male probably isn't the best person to tackle that topic. Its a prime example of exotification and the age old all-asians-look-alike racism that is fostered in hollywood. emotion_facepalm

It's sometimes comical to watch, especially after living in Japan for some time. You just shake your head when people say, "I thought I'd see ninja on the streets."

But you know, Japanese people also do this as well. A good example is Banana Yoshimoto. If you've ever read Lizard and many of her other works (excluding Kitchen) revolve around the same themes: a woman dating a married or taken man while talking to foreigners or doing something English-related. You can tell that she's trying so hard to "Americanize" the story, but it just comes off as unoriginal and insincere.

Dapper Dabbler

thejade9
Silver Corin
thejade9
Silver Corin
Ven Loraine Jr

It's sometimes comical to watch, especially after living in Japan for some time. You just shake your head when people say, "I thought I'd see ninja on the streets."

But you know, Japanese people also do this as well. A good example is Banana Yoshimoto. If you've ever read Lizard and many of her other works (excluding Kitchen) revolve around the same themes: a woman dating a married or taken man while talking to foreigners or doing something English-related. You can tell that she's trying so hard to "Americanize" the story, but it just comes off as unoriginal and insincere.

Its true! Haha I only stayed there for six weeks, I did a homestay in high school and studied Japanese for three years in college. People who go over there will inevitably experience culture shock and be disappointed by the lack of "prostitute" geisha and ninjas ninja

I've never read anything by Banana Yoshimoto. I've only ever read Geisha: A Life and Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. Although when I was there it was interesting to go from being a normal white person in america to being a blond-haired-blue-eyed representative of my entire country in Japan, haha. Its kind of like how here we put random Kanji on things to make them sounds edgy and interesting, where as in Japan they put random English words on things for similar reasons xd

Fashionable Bookworm

11,500 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Silver Corin

Its true! Haha I only stayed there for six weeks, I did a homestay in high school and studied Japanese for three years in college. People who go over there will inevitably experience culture shock and be disappointed by the lack of "prostitute" geisha and ninjas ninja

I've never read anything by Banana Yoshimoto. I've only ever read Geisha: A Life and Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. Although when I was there it was interesting to go from being a normal white person in america to being a blond-haired-blue-eyed representative of my entire country in Japan, haha. Its kind of like how here we put random Kanji on things to make them sounds edgy and interesting, where as in Japan they put random English words on things for similar reasons xd

Not surprising. Wherever I worked or went in the States, people usually looked at me as a representative for all black people, so I'm not new to it here in Japan.

Well, if you've read Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore, you've got good taste. Haruki Murakami's books aren't trying as hard as Banana Yoshimoto's to be Americanized even though he's influenced by The Great Gatsby. My favorite Haruki Murakami books are The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, After Dark, 1Q84, and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. You should give them a try as well.

Dapper Dabbler

thejade9
Silver Corin

Not surprising. Wherever I worked or went in the States, people usually looked at me as a representative for all black people, so I'm not new to it here in Japan.

Well, if you've read Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore, you've got good taste. Haruki Murakami's books aren't trying as hard as Banana Yoshimoto's to be Americanized even though he's influenced by The Great Gatsby. My favorite Haruki Murakami books are The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, After Dark, 1Q84, and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. You should give them a try as well.

It was a bizarre experience for me because I'm used to being under the sheltered umbrella of white normality, but there I got a taste of what its like to be segregated based on appearance. I'm really glad I had that experience though, I wouldn't trade it for anything. The culture shock made me grow up a lot during the peak of my teenage self-centeredness too haha.

I definitely will! I have been looking for more books to read now that its summertime! 3nodding

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I've only read Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
Silver Corin
Ven Loraine Jr

I read the book purely as a fictional story and enjoyed it immensely. I disagree but thanks anyway, I know of that other book.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff