Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Which of these is your favorite book series?

The Gunslinger (Stephen King) 0.055555555555556 5.6% [ 1 ]
Twilight (Stepheny Meyer) 0.055555555555556 5.6% [ 1 ]
The Myth Adventures (Robert Asprin) 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 2 ]
Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling) 0.5 50.0% [ 9 ]
The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) 0.22222222222222 22.2% [ 4 ]
I dont read books (duh) 0.055555555555556 5.6% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 18 ]
This poll closed on January 6, 2013.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Just a bit curious about what other people think. I like them all, but of course I have a favorite.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Of those, I'd say Harry Potter.

The Gunslinger started out VERY well, but after Stephen King's accident, most of his stories seem to putter about aimlessly like an old man, and his later books in this series are no exception.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was excellent for the first few books, but I was left with the impression towards the end that Douglas Adams had ceased to give a s**t. There was still the occasional joke, but the last couple of books were pretty dull, up until the '******** you' ending.

I don't consider the Hunger Games to be a series; the flow seems interrupted when you separate the books from one another, it's more like one big story that was broken into three pieces to sell more books. Even if it were broken in good places, a trilogy isn't long enough, IMO, to qualify as a series.

Twilight's a ******** joke, I don't even know why that's up there.

Haven't read myth adventures.

Favorite series to date would be Animorphs.

Liberal Ladykiller

There are so many great series books. I just finished the Giver series and really like that.
Exoth XIII

I didn't care much for the first few books of it. It seemed like she was learning how to write. It was blotchy with WAY too many mistakes. I found it interesting watching the author develop her skills as she went along though.

I can also agree with you about The Hunger Games, but think of The Lord of the Rings. It was written to be only one book, but JRR Tolkien was forced to break it into three novels because it was too long. It's possible the same thing happened here, though I have to admit that I'm not sure.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Ravinya Blayde
Exoth XIII

I didn't care much for the first few books of it. It seemed like she was learning how to write. It was blotchy with WAY too many mistakes. I found it interesting watching the author develop her skills as she went along though.

I'm afraid I cannot agree. I saw no real development. I did see some more interesting side characters later on, but I get the feeling she asked her friends for ideas, as far as developing them goes.
Quote:

I can also agree with you about The Hunger Games, but think of The Lord of the Rings. It was written to be only one book, but JRR Tolkien was forced to break it into three novels because it was too long. It's possible the same thing happened here, though I have to admit that I'm not sure.

I don't consider Lord of the Rings to be a 'series.' It's a trilogy. If you counted the Hobbit and Simarillon, you could call it a series, but I don't. The tones of these books don't exactly match the Lord of the Rings.
I don't really feel that Lord of the Rings could've been one book, though, without cutting out a LOT of material. The pacing is slow, and each book does break off without a cliffhanger.
It seems to me that is just JRR Tolkiens style. He put so much history and back story in everything that he did (the Silmarilian expluded, as it WAS the back story) that the pace remained pretty much sedate at all times, aside from the obvious parts. I can't help but add The Hobbit in as well, thus making it a series. The Lost Tales are also about Middle Earth by JRR Tolkien.

I had them at one time, but unfortunately never read them. They disappeared the way so many books seem to do around my family lol.

Original Fatcat

+ Series of Unfortunate Events biggrin

But honestly, there are an innumerable amount fantastical series
Out of those , I'd Have to choose The Hunger Games!!! rofl
Just a note, the first book was The Gunslinger, the SERIES was The Dark Tower.
ARepoMansDaughter

Oh wow! You're right! Sorry about that! I hate making silly mistakes like that.
Ravinya Blayde
ARepoMansDaughter

Oh wow! You're right! Sorry about that! I hate making silly mistakes like that.

It's no big deal, just thought you'd want to know.

Witty Seeker

10,150 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Junior 100
I have a lot actually. But I have been loving The Mortal Instruments series. ^^

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Out of those in the poll I don't really have a stand-out favorite. Twilight is definitely at the bottom of that list. I've never read the Myth Adventures books because I just can't get over how corny the titles are. H2G2 I've only read the first two books. Really loved the first one, the second was okay but nowhere near as memorable for me. The Dark Tower books I've also read the first two of, plus a few of the graphic novels. It's pretty great so far but I've heard it goes downhill in the later books. The Hunger Games was pretty decent, but not really a favorite for me. And Harry Potter I have a love/hate relationship with. I don't really like a lot about the books but the awesome fandom kind of makes up for it. Heck, I even played on a quidditch team for a couple years.

As for favorite book series that aren't on that list I've definitely got a few. The Wheel of Time by Brandon Sanderson (my username probably makes that pretty obvious), A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, Discworld by Terry Pratchett, the Alliance-Union books by C.J. Cherryh, Newsflesh by Mira Grant, and the Bordertown shared universe books to name a few.

Generally I'm a big lover of series. I love whole worlds that I can really get lost in and that I can really get to know.
Anja Sedai
The Wheel of Time by Brandon Sanderson (my username probably makes that pretty obvious)

I really should have added that one! It's one of my favorites too. Although, side note, it's just the last two novels which are written by Sanderson. The first twelve or so (sorry, too lazy to look up the number atm) were written by Robert Jordon. When he found out he was dieing of cancer he told his wife (who was also his editor, I think) to find someone to finish the books for his fans. He got all his notes together, wrote down where it was supposed to go from there, and his wife chose Brandon Sanderson.

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Ravinya Blayde
Anja Sedai
The Wheel of Time by Brandon Sanderson (my username probably makes that pretty obvious)

I really should have added that one! It's one of my favorites too. Although, side note, it's just the last two novels which are written by Sanderson. The first twelve or so (sorry, too lazy to look up the number atm) were written by Robert Jordon. When he found out he was dieing of cancer he told his wife (who was also his editor, I think) to find someone to finish the books for his fans. He got all his notes together, wrote down where it was supposed to go from there, and his wife chose Brandon Sanderson.

Yeah, not really sure why I typed his name instead. That's why I should never post when I'm tired. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff