Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cute Mage

9,700 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Tipsy 100
User Image

So I'm looking for some books to reads this summer while I'm traveling, but honestly,
I am super picky and I haven't been able to find anything decent lately.
Either the protagonist annoys me or there is too much romance.
I loved the Percy Jackson series, the Abhorsen series and of course Harry Potter,
but I hated Hunger Games and Maximum Ride with a passion.
Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Feral Elder

The Outlander series is love. Author's Diana Gabaldon.

Charles de Lint has some good ones, too -- I think it's called the Newford series... anyway, my favorites were Someplace To Be Flying, Memory and Dream, and Spirits in the Wires.

Eloquent Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Have you read Shade's Children? It is by the same author as the Abhorsen series.

Wheezing Gawker

faolan
Someplace To Be Flying

So good.

Disappointed that he took the YA route with The Blue Girl but I still have Dreams Underfoot and The Ivory & The Horn to start. I don't find his books often in the used book store. >:/

Feral Elder

ff wave length gg
faolan
Someplace To Be Flying

So good.

Disappointed that he took the YA route with The Blue Girl but I still have Dreams Underfoot and The Ivory & The Horn to start. I don't find his books often in the used book store. >:/

Yeah, though I can kind of see why he did -- the majority of his audience must fall into the category anyway, I figure (though even as a kid I pretty much hated the genre, myself). I love the short story collections, though -- I've got those two and Tapping the Dream Tree. I'd even go so far as to say that to get the whole picture of what's going on, you need to get the little extras in the short stories, alongside what's in the novels.

Oh! How did I forget mentioning these before?? Marion Zimmer Bradley -- now, she wrote a lot, over a very long career. And personally, I don't usually much care for the "alternate universe" kind of setting, which describes most of her novels. I lean more toward... I guess you'd call it "plausible fantasy." Anyway, she's got two series of that sort: the Avalon series and the Light series. Mists of Avalon is pretty much her most well-known novel (and if you can imagine a version of the Arthurian legends told in such a way as to seem plausible, you must have already read this one). The Light series is set in more modern times, though. It's... distantly related to the Avalon series, but not dependent on it. And then there's The Firebrand, which is more or less the same formula as Mists (instead of the Arthurian legends from Morgan's point of view, it's the Trojan war -- The Illiad, the Odyssey, and The Aeneid -- from Cassandra's point of view). All are definitely well worth the read.

Bashful Exhibitionist

17,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
If you don't mind heavy reading I recommend Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.
Summer reading seems to be the best time for apocalypse stuff and sci-fi. Roger Zelazny's books from the Nine Princes in Amber are great. My favorite book in that series is probably the second, which is Guns of Avalon. Gene Wolf is great, Shadow of the Torturer wonderful. I think this summer I might punish myself with Frank Herbert's Dune books, or some of the War Hammer books (there are so many). xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff