Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hygienic Member

I've had to move one too many time to hear the whole "omg the weight of a real book is sooooo amazing omg" argument without laughing. Put that lovely book weight together in a box and lug it around for a while, preferably up and down stairs, and see how much you love it after that. Yeah no.

Bao Minh Li rolled 4 4-sided dice: 1, 4, 4, 3 Total: 12 (4-16)

Yeah they seem kinda pointless to have lol. I love having a book in my hands also. Sometimes I don't understand technology :3
Three years ago I woke up on Christmas morning to find a Kindle under the tree for me. Being a huge book lover, I was ecstatic because my mum wouldn't let me buy a lot of books because they were too expensive and cheaper on the Kindle. It was the only present I got and already had some of my favourites on it. That damn thing broke four times. The warranty replaced it every time and after 5 months of it we gave up. I lost about 30 books. Never again. NEVER. AGAIN.

Tipsy Prophet

15,775 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
I'm not a fan of electronic anything. Music, books, you name it. I want a physical copy. I like that I can hold it in my hands and say that it's mine, I earned it, and I enjoy having it in my home.

I love the idea of ereaders, but it's just not for me.

Original Sex Symbol

11,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I love having the actual book in my hands but I still plan on getting an iPad mini for my ebooks.

Sparkly Hunter

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Vatilla
Three years ago I woke up on Christmas morning to find a Kindle under the tree for me. Being a huge book lover, I was ecstatic because my mum wouldn't let me buy a lot of books because they were too expensive and cheaper on the Kindle. It was the only present I got and already had some of my favourites on it. That damn thing broke four times. The warranty replaced it every time and after 5 months of it we gave up. I lost about 30 books. Never again. NEVER. AGAIN.

And this is why I will stick with my nook.

I've had the same one for about two years now and haven't had a single problem.
worse than i seem
Vatilla

I've checked out Nooks and they look pretty interesting... I was considering saving up for one, as they have much better results than the Kindle... Not sure if it's worth it, though.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Books or e-books, they're the same for me. I'm after the content, not the smell and feel of paper. I love reading and e-books mean more opportunity and choices to find good books.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Selfia Rayonette
File sharing is nice as well when wanting to recommend instead of searching for a copy that may or may not be available/out of print.

This is one of the advantages of e-books. I'm into old books and it's a pain searching for good copies in bookstores, not to mention they're expensive too. The introduction of e-books opened up more possibilities for me. Now I can read rare, hard-to-find classics and out of print books.

What's more, I can choose specific short stories instead of getting compilations half of which I'm not interested in reading at all.

Selfia Rayonette
And the whole "I like the weight blah blah" argument makes me think that people seeing the rise of the phone preferring pink spiral cord wall phones and big brick cellphones instead of iPhones and Droids and whatnot.

LOL. I agree.

People complain too that these things won't last long. All you really have to do is to choose and use the gadgets properly. My old cell phone that's more than a decade old is still functioning and so are my other small gadgets. I don't see why e-readers would be any different.

It's not as if storage of printed books don't have problems. You have to place them where moisture, insects, and other elements won't damage them. There's also the type of paper to consider too.

Sparkly Hunter

6,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Vatilla
worse than i seem
Vatilla

I've checked out Nooks and they look pretty interesting... I was considering saving up for one, as they have much better results than the Kindle... Not sure if it's worth it, though.

I personally really like mine. I still prefer physical books but when I travel it's so much easier to throw my nook into my bag instead of carrying around 4 or 5 books.

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Not really. I do like the nook and the kindle but I prefer a book. But I would own one in the future cause it is better than toteing around a heavy bag of books. But I would probably buy the digital and paperback copy of the same book. 4laugh
Not interested in owning an e-reader of any kind.

I love having an acutal book in my hands and turning the pages.

Money isn't really a factor either.
If I want to get a cheap book, the used version of the actual book will always be cheaper than the e-book version.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I already have one, so I'm all set. It weighs a lot less than three shelves of books when moving time comes, that's for sure. Personally I always loved books for the stories and ideas they conveyed and not so much the flipping pages.

Ace Vampire

10,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
YES! ANOTHER PERSON THAT DOESNT WANT AN EREADER! THANK THE GODS! my argument is that they arent real books. they are electronically transmitted stories that dont have as much character as real books. my parents also like to joke that im getting a kindle or whatever for a present. i just glare at them and occasionally flick them off.

Invisible Browser

16,265 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Invisibility 100
I have no intention of getting an e-reader. I can hardly even stand them being mentioned. The closest to digital I'm willing to get is audiobooks, of which I've been able to find precious few that I like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff