Welcome to Gaia! ::

Celestial Spirit

Well, it definitely plays a part in whether I pick it up or not, but I generally make my decision by opening it randomly one or more places and seeing what's going on/how well it's written there.

Edgy Fairy

19,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Dig Dig Dig! 250
  • The Edgiest 250
Unfortunately, I do judge a book by its cover a lot, but I also go by the name sometimes...

Romantic Loverboy

9,250 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
Without mincing words? Yes. All the time. I'll be honest, I've come to know my own tastes well enough that more often than not when I buy a book where the cover has given me pause I don't enjoy the book. Dunno how that's worked out but that's what usually happens.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I judge a book do if the cover looks like a piece of fantasy art off of the internet. A guy on a horse or a goblin with a dagger wont be enough to get me to look carefully at a book since crap fantasy is very common these days, and I don't feel like wasting my time.

Timid Bookworm

More often than I'd like to admit. Usually if I can tell by the cover that it's a romance, I won't pick it up unless I'm in a really particular mood. I do try to at least read the back cover summary, though.

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Oh yeah. If the cover is boring to me I am less likely to pick it up. If I get the tiniest bit interested to read the summary and go past the cover than I may pick it up. Just depends.

Popular Tipper

9,850 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Partygoer 500

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The cover is the last thing I'd consider when choosing books. The first thing I consider is the author (when I've read previous works that I liked from that author I don't read the synopsis anymore) and then the title or I skim through the first chapter. If it's well-written, I'll buy the book otherwise it's a waste of money.
norakun91
Oh yeah. If the cover is boring to me I am less likely to pick it up. If I get the tiniest bit interested to read the summary and go past the cover than I may pick it up. Just depends.
Generally if I decide not to buy a book, it's because I don't like the edition of the cover. I'll scout around other stores online or other bookstore to see what other copies are available...So I guess yes sweatdrop
I sometimes do this. It all depends of what the cover looks like too.

Nuclear Werewolf

I buy books by title and reputation these days, since I've gotten choosy in my old age. As I'm skimming through spines and covers in the bookstore, though, I do in fact judge a book by its cover.

I've realized that if it has CGI for the cover image, well, there's never any good to be found there. (It just looks so cheap!) Also all those damn YA and romance books with the uninspired photo manips with way too many layers and textures... It's bad enough on its own, but all of them are like that. Ugh.

I mean, there are some cheesy covers out there that have good stories tucked in there somewhere, and there are some classy-looking dust jackets that hide things which should never have been seen by human eyes... (Twilight and Eragon come to mind, but Palencar really didn't put much artistic effort into the latter, unless he just really sucks at dragons...) There's definitely no hard-and-fast rule out there, but generally how the book is advertised and how much care went into its visual design speaks for its genre and its target audience, which affects how much you enjoy the book.
I remember blind buying Polaris by Jack McDevitt for fifty cents because of the badass spaceship cover. Turns out it was pretty good.
i usually go for a book that has a creepy cover emotion_0A0
I don't. I judge a book by its cover and it's bad though because i shouldn't but when i see a cover that is visually appealing to my eyes i gravitate more to it. luckily that doesn't make me purchase a book. i always read the summary and if it doesn't make me interested i place the book back.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff