Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashful Smoker

Divergent by Veronica Roth is one of the best books I have ever read!!! I HAD to finish it once I started reading it even though a part of me wanted to drop it so the amazing story would never come to an end. But unfortunately I finished it in a day and now I'm stuck waiting for the next one. For those who have read it: do you think it could overtake the Hunger Games?
Both books share some similar aspects and themes but, personally, I think that overall Divergent was more relatable and thus, better. It just seemed much more realistic, though that could be because it is set in a future closer to us then the Hunger Games was. There was also always something happening in the story that kept me enticed and I never found myself bored reading the book whereas the Hunger Games dragged in some areas.
So, I was just curious to what everyone else thought smile

Bashful Smoker

Has no one read it yet? D:
It was released earlier this month but still...

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Wait, you thought the Hunger Games dragged? Meh.... to me, it was very fast paced.

I want to read it, it sounds very interesting. 3nodding

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I'm quite intrigued to read it, I'll keep a lookout for it! I wasn't that fussed about The Hunger Games but Divergent sounds interesting.

5,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
THG was boring as hell. I can't comment on Divergent, but after reading the summary... I ******** want to.
                A lot of people haven't really read Divergent out of the publishing and booknerds world. Mostly due to its newness and all, but it will get there, eventually. One of the reasons for this (the fact that not a lot of people have read it right now) is because there are a bunch of dystopians coming out because of The Hunger Games being published and starting a trend that replaced the Twilight mania, so there are many dystopians to pick and choose from, and thus some look a likes that really blur in with each other. And besides, I've heard a lot of people say
                "[that shiny dystopian concept]. . . better than THG?"

So really, it doesn't matter. But I've read it though. I think it's okay. I think the only thing that made me like it besides its shoddy worldbuilding outside of Chicago (besides chicago, nothing outside it is even mentioned!) and a few other things (like why it became the world it was, because it's not really a dystopian when you remove all the things that make it shiny and high concept) was that its ability to keep the reader wanting to turn to the pages, and the last 50 pages where somehow everything became interesting.

Probably the problem of the book is that it follows the trend of the heroine/hero is different and able to think outside the box while everyone is like cattle and follows what they are told to do. When really, if you put everyone in this world and sort them in the five factions, chances are that a majority are able to be in more than one faction, if not, all.

But it probably will end up getting popularity despite it not topping the charts to #1 as the publishers hoped, because factions = s**t that people will probably end up eating.

Bashful Smoker

Belethiel
Wait, you thought the Hunger Games dragged? Meh.... to me, it was very fast paced.

I want to read it, it sounds very interesting. 3nodding

Only a bit smile Mockingjay though dragged a lot in the beginning.
I loved Divergent, but I have trouble comparing books to other books in terms of which one is "better." Especially considering the whole Divergent series isn't out yet. I don't think either one is really better than the other, they're just different. Divergent's pacing was better, the "villain" was better, and the love relationships were better. However, I prefer Hunger Games' ending because I didn't have to suspend disbelief anywhere.

But if you want to know which one I love more (comparing first books only), I'd say Divergent over Hunger Games.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
Rose Relyt
I loved Divergent, but I have trouble comparing books to other books in terms of which one is "better." Especially considering the whole Divergent series isn't out yet. I don't think either one is really better than the other, they're just different. Divergent's pacing was better, the "villain" was better, and the love relationships were better. However, I prefer Hunger Games' ending because I didn't have to suspend disbelief anywhere.

But if you want to know which one I love more (comparing first books only), I'd say Divergent over Hunger Games.

Ah, but The Hunger Games was more like a Man vs Society conflict. :v No true villan early on. President Snow shows up in the second book, and doesn't play much of an active role.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
this little secret
                One of the reasons for this (the fact that not a lot of people have read it right now) is because there are a bunch of dystopians coming out because of The Hunger Games being published and starting a trend that replaced the Twilight mania, so there are many dystopians to pick and choose from, and thus some look a likes that really blur in with each other. And besides, I've heard a lot of people say
                "[that shiny dystopian concept]. . . better than THG?"

... Hopefully that trend will kill the brainless vampire books... I noticed the trend to.

I haven't read any recent dysutopias except for Skinned and Uglies, wich were published before The Hunger Games. I really want to read Mazerunner... I heard good things about it. I just hope the new books will present stable concepts and statements about where society is going, or where it could go if we're not careful. That is what a good dysutopian novel does, it should make you think. That's why I love dysutopian books like The Giver and Farenhiet 451. 3nodding
Belethiel
... Hopefully that trend will kill the brainless vampire books... I noticed the trend to.

I haven't read any recent dysutopias except for Skinned and Uglies, wich were published before The Hunger Games. I really want to read Mazerunner... I heard good things about it. I just hope the new books will present stable concepts and statements about where society is going, or where it could go if we're not careful. That is what a good dysutopian novel does, it should make you think. That's why I love dysutopian books like The Giver and Farenhiet 451. 3nodding

Not a lot of recent ones presented concepts or statements about where the society is going or what could happen if we're not careful. (They were built because of the trend.....) Instead it was OH NOEZ! WE CANNOT BE TOGETHER BECAUSE THIS DYSTOPIAN SOCIETY IS TEARING US APART! (Basically, star-crossed lover books that happen to have a dystopian backdrop.)

Mostly they were about shiny ideas to make people want to buy it. But some books were better though, they didn't follow that trend. Unwind was definitely a good one. *nods* But for now, I'm waiting for the good ones to come out and to read some of the dystopian classics.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
this little secret
Belethiel

Not a lot of recent ones presented concepts or statements about where the society is going or what could happen if we're not careful. (They were built because of the trend.....) Instead it was OH NOEZ! WE CANNOT BE TOGETHER BECAUSE THIS DYSTOPIAN SOCIETY IS TEARING US APART! (Basically, star-crossed lover books that happen to have a dystopian backdrop.)

Mostly they were about shiny ideas to make people want to buy it. But some books were better though, they didn't follow that trend. Unwind was definitely a good one. *nods* But for now, I'm waiting for the good ones to come out and to read some of the dystopian classics.

The Hunger Games was about government control, war, and poverty, in my opinion. And, Katniss and Peeta's romace didn't always take center stage. :v It had decent ideas behind it, although they weren't as well-defined as I would like them to be. Still, it was a good book.

I hope they don't do the same thing to dysutopias as they did with vampires... as in make them vapid and dumbed down, sugarcoated... they're supposed to be raw, they should make us look at ourselves and want to change. 3nodding

Blergh... Unwind looked so interesting, but I just went "Meh..." at the second page. It felt like I walked into a pre-existing series rather than the beginning. I hate that. Maybe I'll give it a second chance one day...

I suggest Skinned and Uglies if you're looking for the classic dysutopian feel, but they're fresher. Skinned is about radical technology and human life, while Uglies is about body image and the media.
Belethiel
this little secret
Belethiel

The Hunger Games was about government control, war, and poverty, in my opinion. And, Katniss and Peeta's romace didn't always take center stage. :v It had decent ideas behind it, although they weren't as well-defined as I would like them to be. Still, it was a good book.

I hope they don't do the same thing to dysutopias as they did with vampires... as in make them vapid and dumbed down, sugarcoated... they're supposed to be raw, they should make us look at ourselves and want to change. 3nodding

Blergh... Unwind looked so interesting, but I just went "Meh..." at the second page. It felt like I walked into a pre-existing series rather than the beginning. I hate that. Maybe I'll give it a second chance one day...

I suggest Skinned and Uglies if you're looking for the classic dysutopian feel, but they're fresher. Skinned is about radical technology and human life, while Uglies is about body image and the media.

Hunger Games is getting a lot of popularity because of the movies, I think. I'm really hoping they're good because Hunger Games and I have a nice history together. We made some nice memories~

I do think the romance trend in dystopian may change. Just hoping Matched and Delirium do first because they're the books that started the romance trend XD

I was going to give up Unwind at one point when I was reading it, probably at the beginning because I wasn't really interested and thought, "Meh." but I decided to keep on going to see as to why people liked it.

I should probably read Skinned as I've already read Uglies. I was meaning to but I only found the sequel to it.

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
this little secret
Belethiel
this little secret
Belethiel

Hunger Games is getting a lot of popularity because of the movies, I think. I'm really hoping they're good because Hunger Games and I have a nice history together. We made some nice memories~

I do think the romance trend in dystopian may change. Just hoping Matched and Delirium do first because they're the books that started the romance trend XD

I was going to give up Unwind at one point when I was reading it, probably at the beginning because I wasn't really interested and thought, "Meh." but I decided to keep on going to see as to why people liked it.

I should probably read Skinned as I've already read Uglies. I was meaning to but I only found the sequel to it.

No, it's popular because it's good, and the books got publicity before the movie came. It got an award, and it's a best seller. On top of that, I've never seen people get so excited about book movie casting. O.o

I dunno... Delerium is pretty new. I think The Hunger Games started it, actually. The newer books just focus on love instead of the dysutopia, and what makes the world the way it is. Delerium has an excuse, love is the reason why the world is bad. Or rather, the absence of love. It's a very interesting concept...

Ruthless Survivor

5,750 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150
I am a DIE HARD Hunger Games fan... I'v read the first book, no kidding, 17 times XD... But I Totally agree that Divergent is better wink emotion_kirakira I'm reading it for the 3rd time tonight... When I read Divergent for the first time ( a few months ago) my jaw dropped. I've never known a girl more like me than Tris, Short, blue-grey eyes, pale, stubborn, hard-hearted @ times, seeing crying as weakness & lack of control of emotions... even her fears... & I love heights & doing Adrenaline Junkie things... the only differences I can see is: she has a long face, long, slender nose, and her body is built like a 12 yr old. I'm a bit thick/full as they say... I LOVE Divergent & I took the test from the FB page & (sure enough) I got Dauntless *haha*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff