Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
I'll admit that I do also enjoy a great children's novel, but I also need more suggestions to read to my son. He is 5-years-old and enjoys a long chapter from a chapter grown up book from mommy. But Im running out of books to read to him. So far, we have finished the Ramona series, The Hobbit, Stuart Little, Charlote's Web, Narnia series, Half Magic , The Reluctant Dragon, Trumpet of the Swan, and all the grimm fairy tales.

What were your favorite children novels? Short stories? Etc.
What kind of stories did you enjoy as a child?

O.G. Gaian

Ooh... you got the EB Whites, good... Lewis, Tolkien... how about Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, maybe even start in on Harry Potter. I was four, maybe five when mom read me Black Beauty, but I'll readily admit that I STILL cry over it. What else... oh, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH... I'm still forgetting some. My "Children's Classics" set is in storage, too, dammit. xp

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Junie B. Jones books are funny. Definitely good for someone his age. I'm not sure how you would feel about it, but I think you could try A Series of Unfortunate Events. I feel like they are on par with the level of The Hobbit or The Chronicles of Narnia. I'll also recommend Maniac Magee and Loser by Jerry Spinelli. All the books by Paul Jennings in his Un- series are great. Particularly Undone!

Questionable Prophet

I have a really distinct memory as a child of my mom sitting on the edge of my bed, with a beautiful hard back edition of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. It had no dust jacket, but was a pretty bright red textured book.

But, you've already read the Narnia books.

I second the Series of Unfortunate Event and Harry Potter suggestion.

I would also suggest looking up some things by Diane Wynne Jones. She does more whimsical fantasy.

Some of my favorites of her's are "The Merlin Conspiracy", which I reread almost every year, , "Howl's Moving Castle", (and basically all the spin off of that one, such as "The House of Many Ways", and "Castle in the Sky"--which as more Indian mythology, which is coolio.) And then her book "Dog Star"is pretty good as well.
I don't recommend "The Game" though.

And I haven't read "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making" yet, but it's on my tbr list and sounds pretty good

Magnetic Phantom

Books that I remember my parents reading to me include a lot of Michael Ende.
He wrote The Neverending Story, but for some reason we never read that one.
Same goes for Momo, which I think is his second-most popular book.
I mostly remember Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver and The Night of Wishes.
Also books by Astrid Lindgren, mostly The Brothers Lionheart and Ronia, the Robber's Daughter.
(I think Mio, My Son is also good but I haven't read it yet.)
Not sure all of these are in print though.

I also liked Beatrix Potter's books.
And there's Tove Jansons' Momin books too.

I didn't read these as a child but recommend them nonetheless:
The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell
The Enchanted Forest books by Patricia Wrede
The City of Ember by Janne DuPrau

Desi the fuzzy fluffhead
And I haven't read "The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making" yet, but it's on my tbr list and sounds pretty good
I haven't read that yet either, but if you want a taste of it, there's a prequel story up on the website of their publisher.
Series of unfortuante events and Harry Potter are both amazing books for kids. Another series is Gaurdians of the Ga'Hoole. There's also Peter Pan and Anne of Green Gables.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Have you read The Phantom Tollbooth to him yet? It's a fantastic book and encourages critical thinking.

Tipsy Bookworm

I liked the Redwall book by Brian Jaques (I think that's how you spell it) also try the How to Train Your Dragon books

Wild Mystic

The Chronicles of Nick are good, but that's more teens than children's. The Nancy Drew books can by a little silly. If toy like Japanese stories with a dash of steampunk thrown in then o_o; oh shoot, I'll have to look that one up, can't think of the books. Terry Pratchett and the Disc Wold novels are kid friendly I think. And I'll always love the Box Car Kids and Chronicles of Narnia.
Um... What else? I don't know. I have a lot of books that come from the teen sections.

Hot Duck

Roald Dahl! When I was a kid I loved The BFG, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. When I got a little older, I would read them to my little brother and he liked them too ^^

Dapper Shopper

8,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Signature Look 250
Where the wild things are, Charlotte's web, Oliver Twist, Five Children and It, The Treasure Seekers, Pippi Longstocking, Robinson crusoe

Newbie Noob

6,900 Points
  • Fluff Rehab 200
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Flatterer 200
i would recommend kate coomb's the runaway princess (not necessarily catered towards girls; it's a fun story about an adventurous, trouble-making princess and her shenanigans in escaping from the castle (i'm not sure what # book it is in its series, by the way, so if you do plan on giving it a go, maybe you'd like to go through it in order)) and cornelia funke's dragon rider

i remember reading those in elementary school and really enjoying them

i also remember liking carole wilkinson's dragon keeper

maybe you'd like to look into those if you're looking for some lighthearted fantasy chapter books! biggrin
I'd recommend The Princess and the Goblin and At the Back of the North Wind by George MacDonald. They are both very cute and whimsical.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
my dad would read me the mouse and the motorcycle. it was a nice story. also black beauty. you could try the animorphs series, i loved that when i was younger and theres like 50 of them. i cant think of anything else at the moment. ill reply again if i think of something. although you could just goto a thrift store and grab a ton of books super cheap and see if he likes any of them.
Rangers Apprentice by John Flanagan is really good. It's a series though, the first book is the ruins of gorlan.
That's something I read recently and enjoyed very much, another really good series that is kid friendly is the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (don't judge based on the movie, the movie sucked)

growing up, best book I ever got my hands on and I plan to read to my children for sure when I get some (it's another series) Deltora quest by Emily Rodda. First book is the forest of silence.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff