Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eizoryu
I only managed to make it through the first one because I was fresh off my Tolkien kick and young. As in, target audience young. And I love fantasy and dragons. But I tried the second book once it came out; didn't make it past the first third of the book. I got bored where he started talking about how much Eragon wanted to try and be with Arya but couldn't or some such thing. Put it down, never went back; got distracted with Harry Potter.

This coming from a gal who read TLotR in 7th/8th grade a total of three times and The Silmarillion shortly thereafter. I'm no stranger to long winded authors and I don't have much of an issue with description. But the Inheritance Cycle is just... Ugh. People have made the comparison between Eragon and Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Using those archetypes is fine; everyone does or has at some point. But at least make them your own, y'know? Don't take the entire hackneyed old plot and just change some names and the setting.

I loved The Hobbit. My favorite book in that series smile

5,850 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
I hate Eragon. I tried to read the book, but sometime BEFORE page 50, I just stopped reading. It couldn't get my attention at all. I tried to watch the movie sometime last year since it was on TV, but I couldn't watch it either cause I found it just as boring as the book. :/

Unbeatable Seeker

10,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
lebayum
I personally hated that series mad
So when people bring it up as an example of a young writer that got published it makes me sad, because I really don't think it's a good series. It doesn't help that I don't like fantasy in general, but... you know, it's still pretty bad.
Opinions?

I've always thought that that book would be amazing. I tried to find one but had no luck, because if I did, I'll ask my mom to buy me one xD .

Maybe I shouldn't buy one?
I remember everyone always talking about the book. I even had a friend who read over and over during lunch break.
The book cover already told me it wasn't going to be good. Glad I listened to my instincts.
...Eragon hate page?!!!!!!! I know why you guys didn;t like it...you read the wrong books before reading eragon and have a different way of thinking than us eragon lovers...
I loved The Hobbit. My favorite book in that series smile - lebayum

What's funny is after reading the Inheirtence Cycle, I can't focus on reading The Hobbit...

Devoted Cleric

RedWolf0135923
...Eragon hate page?!!!!!!! I know why you guys didn;t like it...you read the wrong books before reading eragon and have a different way of thinking than us eragon lovers...

The... wrong books? What on earth do you mean by that? Certainly having grown up reading Eddings' Belgariad didn't help my enjoyment because Paolini was so heavily influenced by Eddings' work and I just kept getting flashbacks. That's not to say that I'm lambasting him for lack of originality or whatever, everyone is influenced by what they read, but being so familiar with Eddings work made reading Eragon really distracting, because I kept going "wait, I've seen this character/scene/plot device before!" But I don't see how that means I read the 'wrong' books.

13,140 Points
  • Evolution Debut 250
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Waffles! 25
i didn't love this series entirely nor did i completely hate it. it was ok. i felt like in every one the pace lagged a bit especially with inheritance. i don't know if it had to do with editing or if the author really thought certain areas were absolutely nessecary or if he was just young. i have no clue.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff