Welcome to Gaia! ::

I personally hated that series mad
So when people bring it up as an example of a young writer that got published it makes me sad, because I really don't think it's a good series. It doesn't help that I don't like fantasy in general, but... you know, it's still pretty bad.
Opinions?

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I hated Eragon too. It was horrible.

Also, is that supposed to be a bunny in your signature? I can't tell.
Karutan Koremanu
I hated Eragon too. It was horrible.

Also, is that supposed to be a bunny in your signature? I can't tell.

Yeah, haha. That's my rabbit sitting on my book. biggrin
Is this more clear? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
YUS. Much better. It's so cute.
Karutan Koremanu
YUS. Much better. It's so cute.

Thank you smile

So why didn't you like Eragon? Anything specific?

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
It was so dull. It didn't capture my attention. Any book I don't enjoy and have to force myself to read through isn't a good book.

Ruthless Consumer

9,000 Points
  • Thread Flip 150
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
I struggled past the first page. I don't know how I made it to the second chapter. But I did. I know, I know, how on Earth did I do it?

And I love dragons! It's just Eragon... was dull. I watched the movie, but there's no way I'd watch it again. confused
monkey_squeak
I struggled past the first page. I don't know how I made it to the second chapter. But I did. I know, I know, how on Earth did I do it?

And I love dragons! It's just Eragon... was dull. I watched the movie, but there's no way I'd watch it again. confused

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of good books about dragons. I didn't like dragon rider either

Shadowy Rogue

12,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
The world is not beautiful

I love fantasy, but I though Eragon was pretty bad. It was really derivative and the writing did nothing to make up for it. Top it off with the fact that Eragon was a huge self-insert for Paolini. I never managed to finish the first book, which is rare since it was a gift and I always try and finish gift books. It's a shame because I feel like Paolini had the potential to be a good/interesting author, but with everyone eating up the mediocre crap he's putting out he's got little reason to improve.

Therefore it is.
I only managed to make it through the first one because I was fresh off my Tolkien kick and young. As in, target audience young. And I love fantasy and dragons. But I tried the second book once it came out; didn't make it past the first third of the book. I got bored where he started talking about how much Eragon wanted to try and be with Arya but couldn't or some such thing. Put it down, never went back; got distracted with Harry Potter.

This coming from a gal who read TLotR in 7th/8th grade a total of three times and The Silmarillion shortly thereafter. I'm no stranger to long winded authors and I don't have much of an issue with description. But the Inheritance Cycle is just... Ugh. People have made the comparison between Eragon and Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Using those archetypes is fine; everyone does or has at some point. But at least make them your own, y'know? Don't take the entire hackneyed old plot and just change some names and the setting.
Infinity Outlaw

I love fantasy, but I though Eragon was pretty bad. It was really derivative and the writing did nothing to make up for it. Top it off with the fact that Eragon was a huge self-insert for Paolini. I never managed to finish the first book, which is rare since it was a gift and I always try and finish gift books. It's a shame because I feel like Paolini had the potential to be a good/interesting author, but with everyone eating up the mediocre crap he's putting out he's got little reason to improve.

Therefore it is.

uhn... I didn't really think Paolini had a chance confused

Omnipresent Genius

15,075 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
I disliked it because of the purple prose and it felt too stereotypical of the fantasy genre.
I couldn't stand this book. I tried hard to finish it but it wasn't worth the pain.
It was damn boring. One of my friends was totally enthusiastic and loved this book. I never could understand her and I never will.

Girl-Crazy Genius

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I liked it TBH. I know it's derivative but I kinda like that style of fantasy. I did think the ending of the last book was an anticlimax though.

Shadowy Rogue

12,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
lebayum
Infinity Outlaw

Therefore it is.

uhn... I didn't really think Paolini had a chance confused

Eh, I think he potentially did because it's obvious he's got a pretty good love/knowledge of the genre and writing. And though I never made it past the first book I hear from friends who enjoy the series that in the later books he gets away from copying the exact Star Wars plot. I just feel like he was so young that he never really got a chance to develop his own style. He feels like a kid writing fantasy fanfiction. He snatches up bits from his favorite series and his writing feels like a poor imitation of high fantasy. I feel like he could have moved on from that eventually and come into his own if not for all the attention he received.

Therefore it is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces