An anti 0.56361514090379 56.4% [ 3380 ]
Neutral 0.25212606303152 25.2% [ 1512 ]
A fan 0.078539269634817 7.9% [ 471 ]
EDWARD'S SO HAWT!!!1!1apple 0.029348007337002 2.9% [ 176 ]
Poll whore~ 0.07637151909288 7.6% [ 458 ]
Total Votes:[ 5997 ]
< 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 1943 1944 1945 > >> >>> »|

@Karura Koremanu: Adventures, indeed. rofl

Well, at least her mom was nice. Some kids' moms think their spawn can do no wrong, and are offended by the very idea that a bad thought might have existed in their child's mind.

Twitards can be pretty hilarious, though, I think.

I was in Borders Express yesterday, and saw the Twilight display they had. It was ridiculous, because it was on both sides of the little pseudo archway leading into the kids section, not to mention that there were about three other displays in such a tiny little store. rolleyes

I stared at it for a moment, said, "You suck!", and walked away. But that's because I'm weird. sweatdrop

•••

@Strawberryblonde33: Can't really comment on the three books after the first one, as I haven't read them, but I hear people say that a lot. From what I've heard about the plot, though, that sounds about right.

I also think she should've waited before publishing Twilight, to improve on her writing. Or maybe she could've gotten a good editor. Or an editor, period. : |

P.S. Is it bad that I kind of lol'd when I saw that random Naruto post in the Official Discussion thread? XD
Also, bought The Summoning while I was out. Had to order Pride and Prejudice and Zombies... The Summoning looks promising. All I can do is read and hope for entertainment somehow.
A fourth one?! My god...

Haha, New Moon was just as much of a lolfest as Breaking Dawn. If Bella can't function properly without Edward, she has some serious issues.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Twilight

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
A FOURTH one? But I remember being on the second one just a few days ago!

Twilight was PAINFUL to read. If I want a book that sounds like it was written by a 15 year old girl with access to thesaurus.com, I'd write a story myself. Plus, every other sentece was about how gorgeous Edward is. Who can honestly stand reading a book about how "hot" a guy is?

Also, I really have to question Bella. She is being stalked, yet she finds it romantic? I bet it's because Edward is teh hotz. She would never let an "ugly" guy do it. I also gotta ask... What makes Bella special? Edward has been alive for over a hundred years.He's probably run into hundreds of thousands of girls. Odds are, one of them would've smelt good enough to make him hot. Why is Bella the only one? Meyer never even bothers to explain... She also never bothers to explain their love. It's hard to tell that they "love" each other for reasons past looks and smell. This makes it infatuation, not love. When confronted by this, it's basically "They're in love because I said so!", similar to "They're vampires because I said so!". Which brings me to another point... When Meyer is confronted with a plot hole or story flaw, it always seems like her answers are made up on the spot. Comments on that?

Let's also make a quick discussion: which vampires and vampire media are better than Edward Cullen and Twilight, and why?
First off... "I Am Legend", the book. It looks at vampires in a scientific manner and explains their weaknesses. Plus, the vampires are more traditional. No sparkles.
"Tsubasa: The Resevoir Chronicles". At least these vamps actually live off HUMAN blood. A vampire who drinks animal blood is pretty much the same as a human who eats animal meat. It's not interesting.
"Blacula". I only saw the first 20 minutes or so (my little sister talks so much that it's impossible to watch a movie), but so far he's WAY cooler than Edward. Even though his "punches" look more like b***h slaps, at least he attacks people twenty minutes into the movie. Again, a vampire that acts totally like a human is NOT interesting.
"Vampire Knight". It's pretty interesting how there are differences between vampires who have always been vampires and vampires who were once human.

So, I like my vampires to be bloodthirsty. Makes it interesting. I've said it like, twice before, but a vampire who acts totally human is not interesting. Might as well make the character a human. I don't mind a few changes. Hell, little changes from time to time keep things from getting boring. But Meyer changed so much that there was little distinction from Edward and other vampires. Edward SPARKLED in the sunlight. That's stupid for any creature to do. Sounds like something made up by a little girl. I don't mind that he can survive in the sun, but couldn't Edward have just said "We don't really burn in the sun. That was made up" like they did in Tsubasa?

Edward also had no weakness. Without weakness, without anyone who can hurt them, there can't be an enemy. Without an enemy, there is no conflict. Without a conflict, there is hardly a plot. And no, two people who fall in "love" is not a plot. The cover is supposed to represent "forbidden fruit", but no one in the book says "Vampires and humans shouldn't be together!" and makes a real effort to try and stop them.
All of this talk about Twilight makes me really want to write my own vampire novel... saying that I actually LIVE in Washington maybe the description of the area and of the type of people who live there will be more accurate.

Seriously her descriptions piss me off. She should have just made up a town in an unknown state.
marshmallowcreampie
A FOURTH one? But I remember being on the second one just a few days ago!

Twilight was PAINFUL to read. If I want a book that sounds like it was written by a 15 year old girl with access to thesaurus.com, I'd write a story myself. Plus, every other sentece was about how gorgeous Edward is. Who can honestly stand reading a book about how "hot" a guy is?

Also, I really have to question Bella. She is being stalked, yet she finds it romantic? I bet it's because Edward is teh hotz. She would never let an "ugly" guy do it. I also gotta ask... What makes Bella special? Edward has been alive for over a hundred years.He's probably run into hundreds of thousands of girls. Odds are, one of them would've smelt good enough to make him hot. Why is Bella the only one? Meyer never even bothers to explain... She also never bothers to explain their love. It's hard to tell that they "love" each other for reasons past looks and smell. This makes it infatuation, not love. When confronted by this, it's basically "They're in love because I said so!", similar to "They're vampires because I said so!". Which brings me to another point... When Meyer is confronted with a plot hole or story flaw, it always seems like her answers are made up on the spot. Comments on that?

I've actually been thinking about the whole stalking aspect. And, ya know what? It could've been really interesting if SMeyer had explored that aspect of the relationship in depth, Or had even gone so far as to make that the focus of the novel: obsession. She could have drawn parallels between the idea of being a vampire (a parasite, basically) and and a stalker, and the comparison of Bella being helpless against that vampire, as helpless as victims of such crimes often feel.

Quote:

Let's also make a quick discussion: which vampires and vampire media are better than Edward Cullen and Twilight, and why?
First off... "I Am Legend", the book. It looks at vampires in a scientific manner and explains their weaknesses. Plus, the vampires are more traditional. No sparkles.
"Tsubasa: The Resevoir Chronicles". At least these vamps actually live off HUMAN blood. A vampire who drinks animal blood is pretty much the same as a human who eats animal meat. It's not interesting.
"Blacula". I only saw the first 20 minutes or so (my little sister talks so much that it's impossible to watch a movie), but so far he's WAY cooler than Edward. Even though his "punches" look more like b***h slaps, at least he attacks people twenty minutes into the movie. Again, a vampire that acts totally like a human is NOT interesting.
"Vampire Knight". It's pretty interesting how there are differences between vampires who have always been vampires and vampires who were once human.

So, I like my vampires to be bloodthirsty. Makes it interesting. I've said it like, twice before, but a vampire who acts totally human is not interesting. Might as well make the character a human. I don't mind a few changes. Hell, little changes from time to time keep things from getting boring. But Meyer changed so much that there was little distinction from Edward and other vampires. Edward SPARKLED in the sunlight. That's stupid for any creature to do. Sounds like something made up by a little girl. I don't mind that he can survive in the sun, but couldn't Edward have just said "We don't really burn in the sun. That was made up" like they did in Tsubasa?

Edward also had no weakness. Without weakness, without anyone who can hurt them, there can't be an enemy. Without an enemy, there is no conflict. Without a conflict, there is hardly a plot. And no, two people who fall in "love" is not a plot. The cover is supposed to represent "forbidden fruit", but no one in the book says "Vampires and humans shouldn't be together!" and makes a real effort to try and stop them.

My list:

The Forsaken - Probably one of my most favorite vampire movies ever. The characters are different and interesting, there's a crap load of action, there's actual plot that even goes so far as to extend beyond the film (I love open endings, so that helps). The vampires aren't sparklepires, and yet they retain that animalistic sensuality that vampires are supposed to have.

Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde - An actual interesting read. Very good characterization, and more of a 'beauty and the beast' type story than Meyer could ever dream of coming close to. It's a book for teens, but it doesn't treat its audience like complete dimwits; it's complex.

True Blood - Both the HBO show (though it's definitely intended for adults) and the books (at least the first one, as that's the one I've just started to read). It's a first-person novel about a girl who falls in love with a vampire, but there are actual reasons why she does, as opposed to him just being pretty. I've yet to find anything in the book that truly annoys me to any significant degree.

In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes - It's a great book, and there are three others in the series. It should be said that the author finished the manuscript for the first book when she was 13. The vampires are actual vampires, the characters have depth, and each book has an interesting plot.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
CasandraM
Version 4.0? Wow, last time I was in this forum it still version 1 with 1600 pages. User Image

Anyway, I liked the article on page 2. It hadn't really struck me yet the Meyerpires are so ridiculously over powered that they should be dominating the earth. Not hiding form humans and trying to blend in. stare

Agreed. An "apex predator", as it is called. It's a powerful predator with few natural enemies, such as a shark. However, in many ecosystems there are less sharks/apex predators than other animals. For the reasons stated... If there were too many apex predators, then they would eat all the other animals. Without the other animals they themselves would starve to death. Pretty simple concept... However, the Twilight guys are TOO "apex". Even sharks and lions don't get the catch every time.

To Haruna: Agreed. Twilight was so awful it made me want to go write a story just to prove that her writing style isn't that great when a 15 year old girl with access to thesaurus.com has the same level of skill as her. If I can improve my drawing skills I may make a comic. I love to make up stories in my head but I never write them because I'm a pretty terrible writer. A few of them involve vampires.

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
socialblasphemy

Thoughts on what draws people to Twilight so strongly?

It's a perfect world that the main demographic of the book wants to live in. Plus, Bella is just like many readers of the book (though not all): shallow, whiny, and want that perfect life where they meet an uber-hot guy. They can be with this gorgeous man literally forever, all while being eternally young and sexy. They can hang out out with their gorgeous husband and his gorgeous friends and family forever. As long as everyone is gorgeous forever, nothing else matters. rolleyes

Mega Hunter

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Mark Twain 100
My theory is that Bella was dropped on a head as a kid by her, what was the word in the book, "eccentric" mother. This led to severe brain trauma, enough to warp Bella's view of reality to the point that she's a misogynist, likes being abused, and is completely passive to violence and/or abuse.

Either that or the author is so stupid that she can't make a heroine for s**t.

(Secretly in favor of the second one.)

Eternal Sex Symbol

44,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Battle Hardened 150
ji-an
My theory is that Bella was dropped on a head as a kid by her, what was the word in the book, "eccentric" mother. This led to severe brain trauma, enough to warp Bella's view of reality to the point that she's a misogynist, likes being abused, and is completely passive to violence and/or abuse.

Either that or the author is so stupid that she can't make a heroine for s**t.

(Secretly in favor of the second one.)

It's been suggested that the book has hidden sexist/Mormon themes. Thoughts on that? The main female character has no aspiration other than to be with her man and have his kid. Pretty lame heroine (hehehe... heroine) if you ask me.
I died a little inside when I first noticed how much people loved this series. I am not surprised that young girls like horrible books like this because many of them are weak to glorified romantic dribble. Whether its written well or not. But Its not just them. It gets positive reviews all over the place. No matter the age or gender of the person. (much like Eragon) It just irritates me so much that wonderful books are ignored for stuff like this.

Anyways, I had tried reading Twilight because a friend raved about it, and now I know better than to let them suggest literature to me. I think my biggest problem with this book was the poor grammar and how the writer misused so many descriptive words. While I was reading I wanted to take a bright red pen to the book and edit everything in sight. As for the actual content it was boring and shallow. I gave up on the book less than halfway because it couldn't keep my attention. Also If I don't find the main characters interesting then I have no motivation to continue reading. And the main characters in this book were like cardboard cutouts. The whole thing seemed like a poorly written fanfiction.

It felt good to vent about this a little. biggrin

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
And now I've been blocked for 14 days~
I'm glad that Meyer had an opportunity to write herself up in a story *note the sarcasm* but give me a break. Her mary-sue/gary-stu stories are just horridly written, it continues on with the lack of plot and character depth and development. Granted I'll admit fully that I've read the first three books, and TRIED HARD to read the 4th. (I just couldn't stand it, so I skimmed.) And I've found through all the books she's done nothing to actually create a world that draws you into it, while her characters are all still one or two dimensional. Honestly you'd think that after carrying a story on through 4 books that there would be some kind of change (significant or otherwise) within the characters.
twilight is terrible
Karutan Koremanu
And now I've been blocked for 14 days~

Oh snap. gonk Why?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items