• Popular Thread 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
NEW RULES:
-No posting post to incite flaming or trolling
-No encouraging trolling
-No targeting other users
-Any abusive behavior will be reported

Let's do a better job with this one, guys!

4/29/09-
Epic screencap that shows that Gaia(and Louie!) is still epic:
User Image

6/3/09-
Please ignore any of PUSH PUSH Lady Lighting's posts on this thread.

6/21/09-
New link added to the Cool Stuffs list.

7/10/09-
New links added to the Cool Stuffs list! Thank you for the links, Moi Fah. ^^

12/24/09-
Poll finally added! And also Happy Holidays!!!
Original first post:
Ane the panther
Hello everyone, welcome the the largest (I think) Twilight critique thread on Gaia!

This topic was born when I began reading Twilight for my bookclub and wasn't impressed. I began to search the forums for like-minded people. When I didn't find topics, I decided to create my own, in order to balance out the amount of topics praising Twilight.

10/15/07
After a short adventure in the recycle bin, "Anyone else can't stand Twilight?" is back home in the book forum. We're now accepting housewarming presents. whee

Note to fans: Even if you enjoyed Twilight, if you're up for some debating, feel free to join in. We always love to get new opinions (and people). Also, if you are a fan, we'd like to know WHY you like it, not just that you do like it (if you know what I mean).

Just be aware that this is our home turf. We (as far as I know) don't mess around in the pro-Twilight thread, so please respect that this is our place to rant, debate, and carry out random off-topic discussion when not doing either of the two preceding things. We do welcome brave fans who wish to debate or chat with us, but you must understand that we may not always be civil. While in an ideal world we would all be able to debate in an intelligent polite manner, that may not always happen here. You chose to come here to argue with us, so expect to have your arguments cut up into a million pieces and burned. If it gets too rude or intense for you feel free to leave at any time. You come here voluntarily, and you may leave voluntarily too. No one is forcing you to stay here.

User Image
^Art by Firinafel^

Why we hate Twilight

- Bella and Edward = Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu respectively

- Being clumsy is not a character flaw!

- Ms. Meyer's vampires are perfect. We respect her attempt to do away with the classical image of vampires, however, she made them super fast, strong, beautiful, etc.... She also did away with their weaknesses. And they shine, that speaks for itself.

- If the first 200 pages of your book rely on the mystery of a character's identity, don't slap "First, Edward was a vampire" on the back cover. (We realize this is not Ms. Meyer's fault, and the choice was made by the publishers. However, this isn't a "Why we hate Stephenie Meyer" list, it's why we hate Twilight. So I would consider this a legitimate reason.)

- The author constantly repeats certain things that she's already described in full detail. (Bella's extremely noisy truck, Edwards 'perfectness', how bad she was at volleyball, etc.)

- Ms. Meyer's first-person POV sucks. She just can't pull it off. Why is that? Because she doesn't find a way to explain anything but Bella. We never get to know how Edward works because Bella never thinks it, of course, and Ms. Meyer shows no other way of expressing it.
(NOTE: We all know about Midnight Sun, so please don't bring it up as you're sole argument for this point. We've heard it all before, but the fact is that, Ms. Meyer shouldn't have to write another book to explain things that should have been shown in the original.)

- Much too little actual conflict in the story. But this probably stems from having flawless main character.

- She threw away the best part! The actual falling in love! It's supposed to happen slowly... there's supposed to be intimacy and sweetness and awkwardness. But no. It's right-off-the-bat in love. They both know it instantly. From then on it's just fighting to stop his species from keeping them apart.

- Why do they love each other anyway? She smells good and he’s hot… what?

- It's just not healthy to teach young girls that True Love involves the guy watching you while you sleep. Not to mention the messes in New Moon, omitted for spoiler reasons.

- Edward is HOT. We get it. Good for you.

Thanks everyone who contributed to THE LIST. Especially Minari, most of this is an abridged version of some of her best points. heart

Our Policy on Spoilers: We ask that you mark all spoilers for both Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. However, I'm sure people will slip up, so if you haven't read either book yet and don't want anything spoiled for you, tread carefully!

Cool Stuffs
The Poison Apple- An awesome critique site
TwilightSucks.com - Another site making fun of Twilight
The Poison Apple's LJ community.
The Twilight guild- If you like to book or just want to debate on the fans' home turf.
The real Edward Cullen
Edward Cullen - Abusive Boyfriend.- by Aldorel
The Starfish Effect- an anti-fic by me.
The Uncyclopedia entry on Twilight
Another LJ community poking fun at Twilight
Dominic Knight's blog - Keep and eye open for some awesome essays here.
A Parody
A Lemon at Dusk- A Twilight chapter-by-chapter review
You are Bella
Paper Shredder Reviews: Twilight Sucks
Encyclopedia Dramatica's article of Twilight
You'd like to add to the list, please PM me.
How did the last one get canned? It didn't even last twenty pages!

7,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Ravitacus
How did the last one get canned? It didn't even last twenty pages!

-sigh- We gotta do a better job with this one.
No, seriously, what did we do?

7,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Astrid-157

Encouraging trolling and flaming...
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157

o.o
Did a troll come in here or something? Or were just talking about it?

Oh wait, must make this relevent:
Twilight sucks, peeps. Go read Volpone.

7,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Astrid-157
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157

o.o

No, the mod said we were encouraging trolling, flaming, and abusive behavior....

What's Volpone?
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157

o.o

No, the mod said we were encouraging trolling, flaming, and abusive behavior....

What's Volpone?

Grumblegrumble

It's a hilarious play from the British Renaissance about this guy name Volpone and his servant who are hoodwinking these rich guys into thinking Volpone's loaded and is going to die any minute. So these already rich guys are giving him stuff to make sure that they become the heir to Volpone's riches.

7,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Astrid-157
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157

o.o

What's Volpone?

Grumblegrumble

It's a hilarious play from the British Renaissance about this guy name Volpone and his servant who are hoodwinking these rich guys into thinking Volpone's loaded and is going to die any minute. So these already rich guys are giving him stuff to make sure that they become the heir to Volpone's riches.

Wow, that does sound better than Twilight!

Dapper Lunatic

Makothecrane34
Astrid-157
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157

o.o

What's Volpone?

How odd. I thought that having someone who likes Twilight like me talk about how people who hate the series have better things to talk about concerning Twilight.

Anyway I'm back, I didn't meet any Twilight fangirls and the subject of Twilight never came up.

7,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Gai Ketoji
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157
Makothecrane34
Astrid-157

o.o

What's Volpone?

How odd. I thought that having someone who likes Twilight like me talk about how people who hate the series have better things to talk about concerning Twilight.

Anyway I'm back, I didn't meet any Twilight fangirls and the subject of Twilight never came up.

Ah, bummer, man.
I'm off to eat dinner but wanted to post here before I go.

Twilight.
The only Twilight I like is Twilight Suzuka!

This leaves em stuck. My signature. Do I put Cowboy Bebop's Edward on it, or Outlaw Star's Twilight Suzuka instead?

7,850 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Lapinporokoira
I'm off to eat dinner but wanted to post here before I go.

Twilight.
The only Twilight I like is Twilight Suzuka!

This leaves em stuck. My signature. Do I put Cowboy Bebop's Edward on it, or Outlaw Star's Twilight Suzuka instead?

Cowboy Bebop's Edward! I love that little spaz!
honestly i think its because the whole vampire romance thing has been beaten to death. and it bothers me further that all edward does is whine through the whole series. *shrug* i dunno i guess i am more of a world of darkness vampire fan, that and alucard and police girl... now those are vampires!
I'm starting to think someone is getting butthurt over these threads

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces