Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,250 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
Sequels:
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing

Has anyone else read these books? I've never met anyone else who has read the series, and it's probably my favorite ever so it sucks that I couldn't discuss when I first finished... If you have, what did you think of the end of the series, or the series in general? If not, I recommend you go read them right now :3
Fancy Kyoko
Sequels:
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing

Has anyone else read these books? I've never met anyone else who has read the series, and it's probably my favorite ever so it sucks that I couldn't discuss when I first finished... If you have, what did you think of the end of the series, or the series in general? If not, I recommend you go read them right now :3

If anyone in here finished the trilogy, they'd be worthwhile debaters if/when they can arrive, actually, Kyoko.

Where do you want to start on the series?
Must we start with how much bad was in the Victorian Era that the trilogy has shown us, and the few good parts of it worth clinging towards?
Or must we begin in regards to the Order that Gemma's mom may have had connections with?

7,250 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
Javier Cross
Fancy Kyoko
Sequels:
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing

If anyone in here finished the trilogy, they'd be worthwhile debaters if/when they can arrive, actually, Kyoko.

Must we start with how much bad was in the Victorian Era that the trilogy has shown us, and the few good parts of it worth clinging towards?
Or must we begin in regards to the Order that Gemma's mom may have had connections with?

Ahh! I really loved the portrayal of the 1890's, actually. Not that I'm the biggest expert, but I feel that Bray's descriptions were always top notch. Though, really, I'm sure she tidied it up from what it was really like. I love that she always kept that silver lining, though, just to give the reader enough hope to carry on with her story. The biggest contrasting image that I really loved had to be the intense difference between Spence Academy and their 'safe' haven in the realms.

Everything about the mystery surrounding her mother and the connection she had with the Academy and the Order and Circe was just so masterfully written! I kept feeling like I had everything figured out, and then she'd change everything on me and I'd be guessing again!

The only thing I didn't like about the series was the ending, but perhaps that was mostly just because it was the end haha smile
Fancy Kyoko
Javier Cross
Fancy Kyoko
Sequels:
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing

Ahh! I really loved the portrayal of the 1890's, actually. Not that I'm the biggest expert, but I feel that Bray's descriptions were always top notch. Though, really, I'm sure she tidied it up from what it was really like. I love that she always kept that silver lining, though, just to give the reader enough hope to carry on with her story. The biggest contrasting image that I really loved had to be the intense difference between Spence Academy and their 'safe' haven in the realms.

Everything about the mystery surrounding her mother and the connection she had with the Academy and the Order and Circe was just so masterfully written! I kept feeling like I had everything figured out, and then she'd change everything on me and I'd be guessing again!

The only thing I didn't like about the series was the ending, but perhaps that was mostly just because it was the end haha smile

So whatever reasonable alterations were done in terms of overall portrayal, is done mainly to display a modicum of scraps of honest hope, amist a plethora of subtly nightmarish incidents, mystical or otherwise, humane or inhumane, etc or etc, pretty much, right?
If I mention that I enjoyed that they showed a portrait of Zeus's/Jupiter's Aunt Aphy/Venus in Rebel Angels, would you believe me even when I can't recall the exact Chapter for which it happened? (I feel there was a modicum of poignance with that portrait's appearance, if Monmouth himself mentioned anything!)

Indeed, where to begin on Gemma's mum and how she had to hide her true name and identity(highlight spoiler in white to avert public viewing) before meeting Gemma's dad and all that jazz that followed that lead up to her suicide, for that matter?

I mostly have questions about Gemma's mum's group I would like answered, such as regards to how they existed before, among other things, and what would become of them now, if they're still alive in the future or otherwise.

7,250 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
Javier Cross
Fancy Kyoko
Javier Cross
Fancy Kyoko
Sequels:
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing

So whatever reasonable alterations were done in terms of overall portrayal, is done mainly to display a modicum of scraps of honest hope, amist a plethora of subtly nightmarish incidents, mystical or otherwise, humane or inhumane, etc or etc, pretty much, right?
If I mention that I enjoyed that they showed a portrait of Zeus's/Jupiter's Aunt Aphy/Venus in Rebel Angels, would you believe me even when I can't recall the exact Chapter for which it happened? (I feel there was a modicum of poignance with that portrait's appearance, if Monmouth himself mentioned anything!)

Indeed, where to begin on Gemma's mum and how she had to hide her true name and identity(highlight spoiler in white to avert public viewing) before meeting Gemma's dad and all that jazz that followed that lead up to her suicide, for that matter?

I mostly have questions about Gemma's mum's group I would like answered, such as regards to how they existed before, among other things, and what would become of them now, if they're still alive in the future or otherwise.

Geesh, really broke out the thesaurus for that one, eh? razz Well, I do feel that any alterations she made she must have felt were entirely necessary based upon the tone and nature of her novel; in all truth it really was a very dark story, while she effectively kept up with lighthearted humor to diffuse tension where necessary. London at any time during the 1800's (though perhaps not so much in the later years? I would have to brush up my history on that one) was not what you might call the friendliest or the cleanest of places. I wish I could ask Mrs. Bray herself what her intent was, but my own understanding leads me to believe that if she had given London a more honest portrayal, she may have overloaded her readership with the depressing atmosphere. If we look for the same in the realms, however, it seems like the more pleasant London was shown as, the more nightmarish and corrupt the realms became, despite it's initial mythical and pleasant aura. So then, perhaps "nice" London was done so that the contrast could be that much more intense when the time came. I believe that the more semi-friendly, fairly bright atmosphere that she placed London in, at least through Gemma's eyes, throughout the majority of the novel was entirely intentional.

Unfortunately it has been a while since I've read through the entire series, so I'm not entirely sure what portrait you're speaking of, though I'm sure of its existence despite your slightly foggy memory, if you recall it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was any such thing, in any case.

I would really love it if Bray published a series of prequels of some sort, really. A thorough description of her mothers situation with the Order and everything that surrounds it, I feel, was only glazed over. If Bray had the desire to, I think they would only enhance the series rather than hinder it in any way. I can always hope, I suppose ^^
Fancy Kyoko
Javier Cross
Fancy Kyoko
Javier Cross
Fancy Kyoko
Sequels:
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing

Geesh, really broke out the thesaurus for that one, eh? razz Well, I do feel that any alterations she made she must have felt were entirely necessary based upon the tone and nature of her novel; in all truth it really was a very dark story, while she effectively kept up with lighthearted humor to diffuse tension where necessary. London at any time during the 1800's (though perhaps not so much in the later years? I would have to brush up my history on that one) was not what you might call the friendliest or the cleanest of places. I wish I could ask Mrs. Bray herself what her intent was, but my own understanding leads me to believe that if she had given London a more honest portrayal, she may have overloaded her readership with the depressing atmosphere. If we look for the same in the realms, however, it seems like the more pleasant London was shown as, the more nightmarish and corrupt the realms became, despite it's initial mythical and pleasant aura. So then, perhaps "nice" London was done so that the contrast could be that much more intense when the time came. I believe that the more semi-friendly, fairly bright atmosphere that she placed London in, at least through Gemma's eyes, throughout the majority of the novel was entirely intentional.

Unfortunately it has been a while since I've read through the entire series, so I'm not entirely sure what portrait you're speaking of, though I'm sure of its existence despite your slightly foggy memory, if you recall it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was any such thing, in any case.

I would really love it if Bray published a series of prequels of some sort, really. A thorough description of her mother's situation with the Order and everything that surrounds it, I feel, was only glazed over. If Bray had the desire to, I think they would only enhance the series rather than hinder it in any way. I can always hope, I suppose ^^

If the alterations weren't done, we basically would have ran into an emotionally depressive nuke to rival The Aeneid, the explosive impact of which would not only be enough to wind up running most of the readership to the gravity of such depression that there's silver-linings that are too few and far between to withstand the gravity for very long*spoiler for the Aeneid in white*(Aphy's heart growing 3 sizes further being one of those few silver linings I enjoyed!)but it would also, in Potter-world terms, spawn up armies of Dementors, to be blunt, right?

A Tartarus of a contrast to consider in retrospect, when one thinks about 'Nice' London and the Realms, which were already in rapid danger of being corrupted since the Tree of All Souls required purification!

You are not alone in those regards, albeit I know that the portrait of Aphy/Venus is canonically there in Rebel Angels, in fact!

That makes two of us, it would also be nice to know if Gemma's mother's position is meant to be hereditary or if the place in the Order must be earned and all that jazz, we could use more info on that group in retrospect, wouldn't you believe?

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
I'm such a huge fan!
Personally, I liked the ending...even though I was so sad at the time!
yeah, i loved these books! although i have to say i was sort of disappointed by the ending, even though i understood why it happened. but kartik got turned into a tree! and one cannot make out very effectively with a tree.

but, on another note, i think it's really cool how libba bray can write really well in very different settings. like, her other books, going bovine and beauty queens, are really good but soooo different from this series.

7,250 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
Aged Cherry Twizzlers
and one cannot make out very effectively with a tree..

That is probably the best thing I've read today, thank you for that :3

Though really, regardless of however it was intended and all her reasons behind the ending, I was still a little disappointed. I shipped that pairing hard from the first moment that there was an inkling of relationship hinted, it's sad that it didn't work out at all like I'd hoped.

I have to agree with you on Bray's diversity, though! Though I'm ashamed to call her my favorite author and say that I haven't ever heard of this Beauty Queens you speak of. Just another book I'll have to put on the list! smile
Fancy Kyoko
Aged Cherry Twizzlers
and one cannot make out very effectively with a tree..

That is probably the best thing I've read today, thank you for that :3

Though really, regardless of however it was intended and all her reasons behind the ending, I was still a little disappointed. I shipped that pairing hard from the first moment that there was an inkling of relationship hinted, it's sad that it didn't work out at all like I'd hoped.

I have to agree with you on Bray's diversity, though! Though I'm ashamed to call her my favorite author and say that I haven't ever heard of this Beauty Queens you speak of. Just another book I'll have to put on the list! smile

right?? of course, i almost always want a happy, romantic ending. i'm okay with stuff being predictable in this way, for the most part.

no worries! i think it just came out this past fall, anyway, so you're not that far behind the times at all smile

Magical Senshi

9,200 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I loved this series until the end of the last book. I HATED the ending.

4,150 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Market Browser 100
I recently finished a Great and Terrible Beauty. I am currently reading Rebel Angels. I cannot stand Felicity. She is the kind of girl who hangs with someone new because, she was fired of the old. Don't ditch your old friends. Also, I don't like how they manipulate her so they can go and enter the realms. I am secretly hoping that Gemma and Katrik will get together.
smile

7,250 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
Jassadi
I recently finished a Great and Terrible Beauty. I am currently reading Rebel Angels. I cannot stand Felicity. She is the kind of girl who hangs with someone new because, she was fired of the old. Don't ditch your old friends. Also, I don't like how they manipulate her so they can go and enter the realms. I am secretly hoping that Gemma and Katrik will get together.
smile

D'awe yay new reader! :3 Mmm, Felicity is probably my least favorite of the girls, she reminds me too much of someone I know in real life xD
Fancy Kyoko
Jassadi
smile

D'awe yay new reader! :3 Mmm, Felicity is probably my least favorite of the girls, she reminds me too much of someone I know in real life xD

@Kyoko

If the following white-colored spoiler isn't too much to ask, here it is.

Was she bi, too? razz

7,250 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
Javier Cross
Fancy Kyoko
Jassadi
smile

@Kyoko

If the following white-colored spoiler isn't too much to ask, here it is.

Was she bi, too? razz

Gonna colour my response white as well, just in case:
No, actually, apparently she's not. I thought so for the longest time, but I guess she's just... touchy haha smile Not that that's what would have bothered me about her of course~ smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff