Magnetic Lover

13,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
StarfruitPanda

One I haven't heard of.
And "First They Killed My Father".
Right, I'm switching from Women and Literature to Multicultural Literature.

Loved Sweetheart

8,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150
wearegliding5683

Lol, yeah multicultural sounds like it would be better.
Too bad you guys aren't reading something like The Namesake.
It seems like a good insight to Indian Culture. (I don't know the proper name)

Magnetic Lover

13,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
StarfruitPanda

Oh I think I have heard of that one.
I want us to read either, Memoirs of a Geisha (even though it's not a true story)
Or
How to Be an America Housewife (which is also not a true story)

Loved Sweetheart

8,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
wearegliding5683

Yeah, story may not be true but I'm sure the cultural aspect is.
I've actually read Memoirs of a Geisha. It was really good.
I'm not sure I can actually say the book was better than the movie or vice versa.
I just know they I love them both.

Magnetic Lover

13,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
StarfruitPanda

I really like the movie, but I think I like the book more.

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
StarfruitPanda
WickedREMY

Awe, I haven't read any of her stuff. Gimme a title so that I can check it out. LOL, as far as a bad fan, nah. You just haven't gotten around to it yet, is all. I'm that way with some of my favorite writers.

Hmm. I have yet to read Brinsingr. I'm very skeptical about it because Eragon was good, Eldest was slow, and though I've had Brinsingr for years, I can't bring myself to read it. How is Dreseden Files? I've seen the show, but haven't gotten around to reading it.

Hm... Try looking up the Farsala trilogy. Those were the first books by her I read. I can't really give you my favorite series by her, because I can't really pick a favorite... though, so far, it seems like she does everything in multiples. She doesn't have many standalone titles.

The thing I remember most when I read Brisingr was that I was surprised to find he had hired an editor for it. The dialogue was rather chunky and didn't sound very natural. And the main characters acted kinda bitchy at times. But I'll read the last book anyway once I get the chance just to find out what happens.

I've never seen the show, but I've heard in passing that the show doesn't really compare to the books. As far as the book series goes... It's my personal opinion that Butcher has trouble writing female characters well sometimes, and it was only kind of amusing until around book five, when the series suddenly picked up really quickly. But that's just a personal opinion.

Shameless Hoarder

StarfruitPanda
User Image
Me being poor is the only reason I am not drowning in books and games. xD

I refuse to re-sell my things. When I want a new game, and can't afford it, people tell me "well just trade in some of your old ones, you haven't touched them in years.." and I am like.. gonk how dare you suggest this thing! I need them so that I have the whole set. gonk gonk

I own uh.. almost every numbered Final Fantasy (excluding 14 - I wouldn't even own 11, but someone gave it to me for free.. for the xbox. Which I don't have.. but I kept the game anyway xD ), plus a few of the little off-shoot games, but I've only finished 5 of them.

I have played the others, though, at least.. I only own two games that I haven't started playing, though, and that's Dark Cloud 2, and DMC 3.

User Image

Loved Sweetheart

8,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
cerebral ulcer

That's the whole reason I got a nook, because I can't really afford to swarm myself in actual books. At least with the nook I can get a decent .pdf copy and throw it into an .epub format and I'm good to go. I stopped paying for real books (aside from when my nook mysteriously got destroyed -eyes my mother-) almost a year ago.

I think I'm going to actually sell my books at a yard sale this spring. Those and my DVD's. I have digital copies of everything. And I know that makes me sound like a non-collector, but I could use the extra cash and its taking up space. Though, I refuse to sell any of my series books or the ones I can't get digital copies for.

WickedREMY

Alright, I'll look up her stuff. See what she's all about.
How was Brisingr though? Was it as bad as Eldest? I mean, I might jump into it if I know someone else has actually read it and doesn't think it's horribly written. And I agree, the Eldest characters were rather bitchy, especially towards the end.

wearegliding5683

The book is definitely different, which always makes it more appealing.
I just love them both equally.
I wish I had more books like The Namesake and Memoirs of a Geisha.
I really do love the cultural aspect of them.

Magnetic Lover

13,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
StarfruitPanda

Yeah, I have a weird thing with Asia.
Though, I'm Korean and have more feelings for Japan.
No idea why.

Loved Sweetheart

8,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
wearegliding5683

I'm American and think we were way to Harsh towards Japan in WW2.
How's that for weird? I get crap for it all the time.

Magnetic Lover

13,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
StarfruitPanda

I probably should have stated, I'm Korean-American.
I agree, I started complain a little too much during 911.
Just because I think it's a little outrageous that some people make such a big deal of 911, but almost no one can name what days we bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Not only that, but they obviously don't know how many people we killed.

Loved Sweetheart

8,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
wearegliding5683

Yeah, I sorta wish people would shut up about 9/11.
Makes me completely un-American, but it's true.
I've brought up the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (I used to know the dates too), all I ever here is "They would've invaded us... etc".
I always spit back, maybe me, but we destroyed their entire culture not to mention the affects of the nuclear radiation on people that had nothing to do with the war.
I read the book Hiroshima for my History class a few years back, and it's just astounding what happened.

Shameless Hoarder

StarfruitPanda
User Image
I definitely understand needing extra cash and space. -nod- I have thought of selling my things, a lot, but I just.. can't bring myself to do it. I have digital copies with some of my blu-ray discs, and I could buy digital copies of most of my ps1 game (which I want to do) but what if the data gets corrupted? ):

I would like an e-reader, though. I could just never give up actual books. I am all about recycling, and not wasting things, and saving the trees... but I cannot give up physical books. xD I feel like I fail as a sort-of-environmentalist. The feel and smell of books just comforts me.

Still.. it would be nice to have. Could use it to read manga and things off Project Gutenberg so I'm not sitting at the computer, killing my eyes. Actually I just recently learned my local library has e-books and you can download them right off the site, which would be awesome for me.. (though idk how the collection is, you have to go to the library and have them set up an account for you..)

I don't like going to the library. I have social anxiety, and it's always heightened at the library because everything is so quiet and I am terrified I am gonna knock over a shelf, or get in trouble for being loud, which is ridiculous because I hardly even speak irl.. Also I'm paranoid that everyone is judging me. User Image

Sorry, I am all full of words today.. I intend to say a few simple sentences, and.. much more comes out. ><

User Image

Magnetic Lover

13,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Flatterer 200
  • Generous 100
StarfruitPanda

Yeah I always get the Pearl Harbor.
Then I'm just like. Yeah they killed what 100 some soldiers.
We killed about.. 80,000 soldiers, men, women, and children.
Yeah totally fair.

Loved Sweetheart

8,750 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
cerebral ulcer

I have back ups of all my digital copies and back ups of those back ups. I try to protect them as much as possible just because I know if I sell the discs there's a good chance I won't be able to get them back right away. Plus with redbox it's only a dollar and by the end of the rental I've got a copy of it.

As far as the e-reader and environmentalist aspect, I did a speech on that a few weeks ago. By the end of the first year you've balanced out your carbon foot print by buying an e-reader. It's astounding really. I do miss the smell and the feel of real books, but the fact that I've saved at least 3k in books over the past year is something I really can't over look.

Wait, what is Project Gutenberg?

I'm just as bad when it comes to my social anxiety. I hate going out of the house normally, people constantly looking at me or staring. I'm pretty sure they are judging. It's probably one of the biggest reasons why I love books. They don't judge. They just accept me no questions asked.

I'm alright with long posts, it beats those awkward posts where I'm not sure how to respond so I"m all "Soo, what do you like?" I'm really bad with that. Normally I can just talk to me in threads, but it's hard when some people don't give me much to go on, ya know?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff