Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
X sansmerci
No, you are racist, and what you are saying is racist. It doesn't "sound racist" like a vevuzela sounds like bees, it sounds racist because it is racist.

Now, to get the coddling out of the way, that doesn't mean you're evil, or that you absorbed racist ideas in a vacuum, or any other stuff you may feel like being called out on being racist implies. It just means you are someone who thinks she's not a racist who is, and now you have the opportunity to check yourself.

Ways in which your post is messed up on a general being-a-person-in-the-world level
• Dismissing the right of PoC to talk about their history
• Acting simultaneously that some tidbit you learned about history is relevant despite being hundreds of years old and like there is a time limit on caring about injustice
• In general, telling people how long they are allowed to at all talk about their history and the ways in which what happened to their family in the past affects them now
• Stereotyping PoC as violent
• Suggesting flippantly that Black History Month is about Bringing the White Man Down
• Blacky
• Homophobic bs just for kicks

I'd like to say, after having read through your post, I doubt you seriously mean any of what you wrote, but this is the internet, so I'm assuming you both do mean every word and live somewhere that you honestly have not be taught to know better. So please also don't take offense and tell me about how I don't know you (because that's a given) because I have failed to detect this part or that part was facetious.

1. I never said anything about violence?
2. When I used racist terms such as "blacky" I was saying what I believed a racist person would say.
3. Homophobic bs just for kicks? wtf Im pansexual!
4. I didnt stereptype ANYone.
5. I didnt say anyone couldnt talk about thier history,
6. I didnt say black history month is about bringing the white man down. I only stated that White men have done more for history and society, but we dont have a White History Month. There wouldnt BE a Black History Month without white men.

Benevolent Gaian

17,225 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
You have not only failed, but you lack intelligence...please read properly about Black History Month before posting. Thank you...
giggleboxforevabby
adorna bones
giggleboxforevabby
adorna bones
No.

Please stop making threads.

Sincerely,
The Intelligent People of Tumblr

No, I wont stop making threads. If you dont like what I have to say you can get over it. The internet isnt about what you wanna hear. Its an opinion. Im allowed to have one!

With freedom comes responsibility. Don't try to talk of things that you have no knowledge and haven't attempt to properly learn about.

What makes you think I have no knowlegde of what Im talking about? I know exactly what Im talking about. You dont have responsibility over an opinion, you just have one.

Because I'm reading everything you're saying and know automatically that you have little understanding of this subject at all. You're just repeating the opinions and views of the misinformed and ill-educated. And you do have responsibility for an opinion. You can't just state ANYTHING and expect for it to be okay. The least you could do is delve deeper into your subject. That'll save you and many others from making fools of themselves online.

Twisted Nerves's Husbando

Demonic Sex Symbol

If you think there should be no Black History Month, you might as well say that there might as well not be a Native American Heritage Month (November) or Hispanic Heritage Month (September) either.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Saiuri Kamiya
If you think there should be no Black History Month, you might as well say that there might as well not be a Native American Heritage Month (November) or Hispanic Heritage Month (September) either.

There shouldnt be! Isnt every day a celebration of what every race, culture, BEING has done for us?

Demonic Sex Symbol

giggleboxforevabby
Saiuri Kamiya

There shouldnt be! Isnt every day a celebration of what every race, culture, BEING has done for us?

According to some, yes.
According to most: no.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
adorna bones
giggleboxforevabby
adorna bones
giggleboxforevabby
adorna bones
No.

Please stop making threads.

Sincerely,
The Intelligent People of Tumblr

No, I wont stop making threads. If you dont like what I have to say you can get over it. The internet isnt about what you wanna hear. Its an opinion. Im allowed to have one!

With freedom comes responsibility. Don't try to talk of things that you have no knowledge and haven't attempt to properly learn about.

What makes you think I have no knowlegde of what Im talking about? I know exactly what Im talking about. You dont have responsibility over an opinion, you just have one.

Because I'm reading everything you're saying and know automatically that you have little understanding of this subject at all. You're just repeating the opinions and views of the misinformed and ill-educated. And you do have responsibility for an opinion. You can't just state ANYTHING and expect for it to be okay. The least you could do is delve deeper into your subject. That'll save you and many others from making fools of themselves online.

Misinformed? Ill-educated? I have an associates degree in American and World History. I spent two months studying African American History. I might know alittle bit of what Im talking about.

Sunilu's Prince

Bachelorette

giggleboxforevabby

No, not when you turn on your television and you see a movie about Ancient Egypt ( which is in Africa ) being potrayed by white American actors that have absolutely had nothing to do with Egypt or what their people actually looked like.

The same goes with this one movie I saw: Prince of Persia.
Jake Gyllenhall?
Dressing up like a Persian man? Really....?
Why don't they get people who actually are of that race to do these movies?
Are all races being celebrated? Represented, EQUALLY?
Definitely not, when I see this s**t on the television.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Abducted and Probed
giggleboxforevabby

No, not when you turn on your television and you see a movie about Ancient Egypt ( which is in Africa ) being potrayed by white American actors that have absolutely had nothing to do with Egypt or what their people actually looked like.

Jake Gyllenhall?

That has nothing to do with this subject.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Abducted and Probed
giggleboxforevabby

Jake Gyllenhall?

"First of all black history month is to celebrate those black americans who did something to change the lives of many people.
Isnt that what certain days (such as Martin Luther King day?) are for?

Im not racist.

This is mostly about slaveryyy butttt:

I just wanna point THIS out.
Slavery started in africa. Among themselves. Africans sold eachother.
Yeah.

This is going to sound soooo racist but if you think about it, there wouldnt be a black history month without all the white people.

Im also just going to point THIS out.
I hate how some black americans today are still all kill the whitey! They enslaved us! Lets ******** wit em! xD

Slavery started in 1619. Its 2012. All of those poor people have passed away. None of those white MEN are alive now. The normal white women and men of today had nothing to do with that. Please get over it. Whitey didnt hurt blacky in this day and age. No im not saying that what happened wasnt wrong Im just saying why should the white people have to pay for it now?

Another thing! The pants sagging thing started with male black slaves. But only because their slave owner had a thing for black boys.

Yeah, pants sagging? started by homosexuals.

xD"

That was what I said. I didnt say s**t about tv. xD

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Saiuri Kamiya
giggleboxforevabby
Saiuri Kamiya

According to some, yes.

You dont know the opinion of every single person in the United States, dont say you do.

Sunilu's Prince

Bachelorette

giggleboxforevabby

Really? Lol, you crack me up. rofl
You don't even realize how much of a fool you make yourself seem.

Your own words, just now:
"There shouldnt be! Isnt every day a celebration of what every race, culture, BEING has done for us? "
So when you say "That has nothing to do with this subject," can't you see how I think you're a riot and can't recall recent comments you've made displaying your lack of intelligence, but vast well of ignorance?

Also you didn't aswer the questions.
I guess because you know it's true.
giggleboxforevabby
Shurinka
Why does this have to boil down to who suffered most?

Yes Native-Americans have it bad. Their land was stolen from them, diseased killed them, they were murdered, and now they're living on reservations. The same can be said for aboriginals in Canada and Australia (and let's not even go into the mess hole in many parts of Africa).

No one is saying that Black people are better and suffered more than someone else. This is not what black history month is about. Other minorities have months dedicated to them as well. And white people? They have the whole year.Turn the TV on and it is a celebration of good ole white America. Even our holidays-- Independence Day, Columbus Day, Presidents Day, Thanksgiving. Why fuss because there's a month for a person of a specific background? If you have to study it in school, then study it and move on.

Yes Africans sold others into slavery. Slavery is an old old old old concept. Does it make it right? Heck no. Does it give the Europeans a free pass for the slave trade? Heck no. But it happened. 300 years for our country and we are still living with the affects of it. White people get to live with privilege and minorities live with... well, it certainly isn't privilege. As for black people after slavery ended everything was not peace and love. They had to live with segregation, the KKK, lynchings, racism, prejudice... This is stuff that didn't happy only 300 years ago. The Civil Rights Act wasn't signed until 1964. That's 48 years ago. My grandma was born in 1939... so for 25 years of her life she had to live with racism that wasn't quietly swept under the rug because it's "wrong". And just because the Civil RIghts Act was sign doesn't mean everything just vanished. It's only been about two generations since then and people expect a big giant bandaid and everything is all better? No. And attitudes like those in this thread and many others aren't going to help either. It just reeks of ignorance and privilege.

Now I don't think white people should be eternally guilty because of slavery, segregation, Native-American genocide, gentrification, and the continuing racism that plagues our country. No. But it seems even to be aware of their privilege is hard. Complaining about months dedicated to minorities when there's praise for white America all year long is just ridiculous.

ok, with out white people, black people wouldnt even be here. there wouldnt be a black history month. So your saying that it was ok for africans to sell eachother but its wrong for white people to sell them? This is going to sound really racist but honestly, if your going to complain about stuff that happened sooooo long ago, go back to africa. Trust me, its much worse to be black in some parts of africa then it is here. Yes racism is wrong, very wrong and very stupid. But in case you havent noticed, being black has never been a minority. Not unless like 300 hundred years ago you were on the 1st or second boat.

No, you can't quite say without white people black people wouldn't be here. White people didn't enslave Japanese people, but they're here. Black people could have been here under different circumstances (although seeing how even today immigration is a touchy issue, there still would have been racism involved.)

The fact of the matter is that white people enslaved black people here in America. Hell, without black people America wouldn't have had such a great cotton trade!

And if you read what I said you would have seen that I never said it was right for Africans to have sold slaves. I DO NOT believe slavery is right, but it's just a fact of life that it happened here and elsewhere in the world (and continues to in other ways.) I am also NOT sore about slavery, I just think it's ridiculous to believe that the effects of it are going to be totally wiped out in four or five generations, when each of those generations had to fight against legal racism up until 48 years ago.

If I am going to complain, go back to Africa? Yes, that is a beautiful way to solve everything. But no. My people are from Africa, but I am not. I am an American. A black American. Slavery is OVER yes, but RACISM still persists. Not just against black people, but against any minority. There is prejudice, even against white people. This isn't something you can ship across the ocean to get rid of.

And girl, what are you talking about? Being black IS a minority. Black people make up 12.6% of America. (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html you can look here and see how many white people there are versus everyone else. They are the majority.) Maybe there are a lot of black people where you live (I know there is a lot of black people where I live-- cultural segregation) but black people have always been, and in America, will always be a minority. Along with hispanic people, japanese, chinese, indian, native, and so on. Yes things are MUCH better than it was before. There are minority people in high offices. There is no legal segregation. But it can still be much more better. Not just for black people, but for everyone.

Demonic Sex Symbol

giggleboxforevabby
Saiuri Kamiya
giggleboxforevabby
Saiuri Kamiya

According to some, yes.

You dont know the opinion of every single person in the United States, dont say you do.

Did you see me flat out type "I know the option of everyone in the United States"?
No. I took the opinions of most of the people that posted here.
I'm not going to end this conversation, seeing as how you're just trying to start
conflict.

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

giggleboxforevabby
X sansmerci
No, you are racist, and what you are saying is racist. It doesn't "sound racist" like a vevuzela sounds like bees, it sounds racist because it is racist.

Now, to get the coddling out of the way, that doesn't mean you're evil, or that you absorbed racist ideas in a vacuum, or any other stuff you may feel like being called out on being racist implies. It just means you are someone who thinks she's not a racist who is, and now you have the opportunity to check yourself.

Ways in which your post is messed up on a general being-a-person-in-the-world level
• Dismissing the right of PoC to talk about their history
• Acting simultaneously that some tidbit you learned about history is relevant despite being hundreds of years old and like there is a time limit on caring about injustice
• In general, telling people how long they are allowed to at all talk about their history and the ways in which what happened to their family in the past affects them now
• Stereotyping PoC as violent
• Suggesting flippantly that Black History Month is about Bringing the White Man Down
• Blacky
• Homophobic bs just for kicks

I'd like to say, after having read through your post, I doubt you seriously mean any of what you wrote, but this is the internet, so I'm assuming you both do mean every word and live somewhere that you honestly have not be taught to know better. So please also don't take offense and tell me about how I don't know you (because that's a given) because I have failed to detect this part or that part was facetious.

1. I never said anything about violence?
2. When I used racist terms such as "blacky" I was saying what I believed a racist person would say.
3. Homophobic bs just for kicks? wtf Im pansexual!
4. I didnt stereptype ANYone.
5. I didnt say anyone couldnt talk about thier history,
6. I didnt say black history month is about bringing the white man down. I only stated that White men have done more for history and society, but we dont have a White History Month. There wouldnt BE a Black History Month without white men.

Again, assuming you're interested in learning from other perspectives and genuinely do not mean the unfortunate implications. smile

ie:
Quote:
Im also just going to point THIS out.
I hate how some black americans today are still all kill the whitey! They enslaved us! Lets ******** wit em! xD

You may not have thought "Muahahah, I am going to imply there are a ton of black people who say 'kill whitey' and that anyone who cares about Black History Month is just butthurt over slavery to the extent that they are prejudiced against all white people" but that does not mean you aren't acting on the basis of stereotypes.

What, exactly, do you think are the implications of proclaiming that there should not be a black history month? BHM only exists because the way history is taught is itself white supremacist and glosses over the histories of PoC, saying that this pitiful olive branch that we will stop ignoring those huge parts and participants of history for a few weeks a year should go away is silencing. You talk about the individuals who were slaves and slave owners in the US pre-abolition being dead as though that means it should not be talked about or addressed. As though anyone still talking about it or about the last effects slavery has had on PoC in this country and the ways in which racism is deeply entrenched is people not being able to get over it. You literally say "Please get over it." as regards slavery.
That is saying people should stop talking about their history.

There is nothing in context to make your use of blacky seem at all a quote or anything short of sincere.

Being pan doesn't mean it's impossible to say things that are dismissive of queer experiences, as demonstrated by your OP pointing out that pants sagging was started by homosexuals with a bemused emote, implying the fuller sentiment "gays started it, and (people who sag) would not want to be considered gay, it's undesirable, isn't that funny!" It's out of nowhere, so even if we don't address whether the fact is a true one, the context frames it.

You implied it, with what put up as reasons Black History Month should not exist. You seem to have trouble understanding that language has a lot of coding to it that allows people to communicate without making every sentence an essay. Rather, you clearly understand it based on how you write, but you have difficulty accepting that others who disagree will read you as well and are under the impression that if you do not type certain words, you can plausibly deny such a message despite saying things that make it crystal clear.
Such as "Whitey didnt hurt blacky in this day and age. No im not saying that what happened wasnt wrong Im just saying why should the white people have to pay for it now?" How the ******** is talking for 20 minutes a day on average (at most) for four weeks about Black History making "white people pay" (unfairly)?

Or that tired gem of "we dont have a White History Month" Yes we do, it's called The Other 11 Months And Half of February. Let's be real here.

And "There wouldnt BE a Black History Month without white men."? As justification for why, aside from the existing white bent to history, we should really really go more out of our way to talk about white people's accomplishments?
If anything, that there would be no need for Black History Month if not for (the actual history of atrocities committed over race by dominant majority of white land-owning men and others who benefitted from their privilege and of history being taught & reframed to exclude both the faults of the majority and achievements of minorities) is something that weighs against your argument that there shouldn't be a time set aside to focus on black history.

I hope that some small amount of what I've written helps you to recognise in yourself what you may be saying that you either do not believe or have not really examined before. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff