9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Tsuki Hoshiko
giggleboxforevabby
First post

Most of that... just ignorance.

First off... Martian Luther King Jr. day is mostly celebrating the life and dream of MLK jr.
There is much more to the Civil Rights Movement than just him... so should we have a holiday for every single Afro-American martyr?

Also before there was a 'Black History Month' there was "Negro History Week" the second week of February because it was the birthdays of two Americans who greatly changed the lives and social condition of African Americans: former President Abraham Lincoln and abolitionist and former slave Frederick Douglass who also took whatever actions he could between education for black people and furthering the cause for Civil Rights.

Black History Month has nothing to do with being anti-white. At the time when it was just Negro History Week: schools in those days excluded all forms of history regarding Blacks, Asians, Mexicans, Native Americans, or just anyone that fell under the category of "colored" The colleges and small institutions that recognized Negro History Week was simply giving insight to their black students of their history so that they may learn the good qualities of their own race which at that time was often ignored or denied.

The one who changed Negro History Week to Black History Month was President Gerald Ford (who by the way was a white man) Black History Month has nothing to do with putting down white people or magnifying the slave trade, fact is EVERY country in the WORLD has had some dealings regarding slaves at some period of time. So theirs no dissing the 'white-man' for having slaves. Every race there is has had some dealings regarding slavery in their past

So... Now that in the 21st century where schools actually teach a thing or two on blacks that had impact either in America or in other parts of the world... Why do we still have Black History Month? (I'll get back to you on that a little further in this post)

Sagging is actually accredited to the Prison systems not slavery. It's unknown which specific race started it. Belts had been taking out of the prison systems to avoid being used as a weapon or a tool for suicide. Men who had been made into someone's (letter after 'A' ends with an 'itch') wore pants that weren't properly fitted on their waist as did those who had no problem with getting their salad tossed (if ya know what I mean). So the homo part was correct, just not the slavery part...
In the 1990s ignorant rap and hip-hop artists picked up on it as a trend without knowing its origins passing it on to ignorant youth who clearly don't have enough pride in themselves to dress properly.

So back to why we still have Black History Month in the modern century. Other than out of tradition its there for young blacks to day to look at their past and take some pride in what their race has accomplished, its there to shine some light on how stupid it is to willfully speak in 'Ebonics' when that horrid butchering of the English language was only a result of the lack of proper education. Its here so that the black youth of today would know that being 'gangsta' sagging pants, and falling into bull crap statistics is not what it means to be black, they're better than that and that's not what the people before them fought for. Black History Month is an aid for blacks to take pride in themselves and where they came from.

Is Black History Month effective for its purpose?
In this day and age... not really, by this time it's no different than any other annual tradition, besides no offense to this generation (I too am part of this generation) But a good deal of Generation Y is made up of idiots who are set in there ways and may not ever change until they take a big fall... and even that may not bring about change.

pants sagging was proven to have originated in the slavery days.
Do some research, and not wiki.

Beloved Lover

10,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I don't use wiki... a good deal my info comes from matc.edu/library
and the American Jail Association research website ...whenever my resource lets me in... that site is only for police and I'm under 21 (at least 7 months) so unfortunately I can't take a job in law enforcement yet

Business Businessman

9,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Beloved Lover

10,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100
giggleboxforevabby

pants sagging was proven to have originated in the slavery days.
Do some research, and not wiki.

sites you don't need a pass code for:

Not a single search engine brought up slavery in the topic of sagging pants... tell me did you actually read that somewhere did you make it up or did some misinformed person tell you that?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sagging
http://www.nationalconcernedofficers.com/pants_sagging.htm
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sagging-pants-history.html
http://fashionbombdaily.com/2010/02/26/black-history-fashion-trend-sagging-pants/

Business Businessman

9,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Dangerous Prophet

6,250 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
Vicious Ambition
Designer Genes
Vicious Ambition
Designer Genes
Vicious Ambition
Kyou Panda

Not even gonna what? It's true bro. In Europe and other Countries.

Black history month isnt all about slavery and Blacks even after slavery was done with were treated unfairly and unjustly. Police brutality all that. Think alot more into things before you post them.

Because white people don't get brutalized by police. rolleyes

They didn't back then. Please don't start an arguement with me. You'll most certainly lose.

So no white people were ever brutalized by police "back then"? I think for as long as law enforcement has had better weapons than civilians, and people have been around to be brutalized, that people of all types have been brutalized by police. To say that white people didn't get brutalized by police because it was acceptable to do so to darkies is just ludicrous.

Of course they got brutalized anybody breaking the law could have gotten burtalized but because of james crow laws and such the "darkies"(why you would use that word I have no clue) got the worse end of it.

I used the word "darkies" because it sounds funny.
ok so...why does black history month exist again?.... I bet if there was such thing as white history month every other race would have a fit (just putting it out there) (and im caribbean, not fully cacausion...mixed with ALOT)

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
dramallama
King Natedog of Darkness
heart

Beloved Lover

10,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Forum Regular 100
kani_san2
ok so...why does black history month exist again?.... I bet if there was such thing as white history month every other race would have a fit (just putting it out there) (and im caribbean, not fully cacausion...mixed with ALOT)

Black history used to be excluded from the education systems so some institutions held Negro History Week the second week of February due to that being the birth date of President Lincoln and Fredric Douglass. President Ford applauded the effort of that week being set aside for blacks to learn the achievements of their own race and he made the entire month of February Black History Month.
kani_san2

what more do they want?
im pretty sure they have everything eles

OG Member

giggleboxforevabby
First of all black history month is to celebrate those black americans who did something to change the lives of many people.
Isnt that what certain days (such as Martin Luther King day?) are for?

Im not racist.

This part (of my opinion) is mostly about slaveryyy butttt:

I just wanna point THIS out.
African Slavery started in africa. Among themselves. Africans sold eachother.
Yeah.

This is going to sound soooo racist but if you think about it, there wouldnt be a black history month without all the white people.

Im also just going to point THIS out.
I hate how some black americans today are still all kill the whitey! They enslaved us! Lets ******** wit em! xD

AFRICAN Slavery started in 1619. Its 2012. All of those poor people have passed away. None of those white MEN are alive now. The normal white women and men of today had nothing to do with that. Please get over it. Whitey didnt hurt blacky in this day and age. No im not saying that what happened wasnt wrong Im just saying why should the white people have to pay for it now?

Another thing! The pants sagging thing started with male black slaves. But only because their slave owner had a thing for black boys.

Yeah, pants sagging? started by homosexuals.

xD

You made some good points, but it's for those who didn't get their attention they deserved for their ideas/inventions/etc that changed man kind.

Lavish Millionaire

10,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Tycoon 200
InuBishounen
Kyou Panda
if they have black history month they should have white history month too (we were slaves a looooooooooong loooooong time ago too.)

You have to be more specific . What part of the white race are you referring too? The Anglo-Saxons? Way northern Europeans/Vikings? Any number of indigenous race of lightly coloured people?

It would be crazy if you grouped them all together in a holiday.

ive been reading every page just to see if someone would point this out rofl

Fashionable Survivor

red-tala9
InuBishounen
Kyou Panda
if they have black history month they should have white history month too (we were slaves a looooooooooong loooooong time ago too.)

You have to be more specific . What part of the white race are you referring too? The Anglo-Saxons? Way northern Europeans/Vikings? Any number of indigenous race of lightly coloured people?

I don't get why this isn't coming up more. xd It's not just "white" (which isn't actually white unless you're albino) and "black" (again not all who identify as black are that shade of crayon) and "Asian" (which is really so diverse it's crazy)

Lavish Millionaire

10,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Tycoon 200
InuBishounen
red-tala9
InuBishounen
Kyou Panda

I don't get why this isn't coming up more. xd It's not just "white" (which isn't actually white unless you're albino) and "black" (again not all who identify as black are that shade of crayon) and "Asian" (which is really so diverse it's crazy)

lol if you look at all the branches on the white and asian tree its insane. youve got the japanese,tai, chinese, maylay, philipino, ect(french,greman,polish,scotish) man theres alot of them rofl

Fashionable Survivor

red-tala9
InuBishounen
red-tala9
InuBishounen
Kyou Panda

lol if you look at all the branches on the white and asian tree its insane. youve got the japanese,tai, chinese, maylay, philipino, ect(french,greman,polish,scotish) man theres alot of them rofl

That's why whenever it comes up and someone's talking about what they have in them, I ask them specifics. Me I'm 1/2 Italian (father) and the rest is a mutt's line of Western Europe (mother). If there happens to be a map nearby I just wave my hand over Europe. xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff