Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Seeker

Morgan Freeman feels it is ridiculous. So therefore it is.

Profitable Gatekeeper

7,450 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
We can get rid of these special history months when it is taught equally with white history first. If we get rid of it now, when will it ever be taught?
Annata Cannata
We can get rid of these special history months when it is taught equally with white history first. If we get rid of it now, when will it ever be taught?

heart
Call me Rainleaf

So Morgan Freeman is basically God to you?
I'm guessing because he was in one of his movies...?
giggleboxforevabby
xXG-StacksXx
R U SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we were slaves we had 2 deal with segregation we desreve bhm scream

YOU were never a slave. YOU have never really had to deal with real segregation. BHM isnt about what people deserve, its about society. Please do a little reseach before you post stupid stuff.
but its still recognizin our herotige

Vicious Phantom

7,550 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Annata Cannata
my hero lol

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
xXG-StacksXx
giggleboxforevabby
xXG-StacksXx
R U SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we were slaves we had 2 deal with segregation we desreve bhm scream

YOU were never a slave. YOU have never really had to deal with real segregation. BHM isnt about what people deserve, its about society. Please do a little reseach before you post stupid stuff.
but its still recognizin our herotige

Every race has their h-e-r-i-t-a-g-e.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Annata Cannata

it is! There just isnt as much written down as there is white history.

Questionable Borg

giggleboxforevabby
Mayor Gravity
Bashelia Peppita
Patricia_Baker14

Well you didn't have to come off like a total a**. 'Most ignorant and racist thing I ever read' Yeah, that's such a friendly debate. What you should've done was said something along the lines of 'Well I think' or 'I believe'. Not coming off with hateful words in the very first sentance.
I'm sorry but it's just that I'm so frustrated with people in this forum proclaiming that white people are a 'discriminated minority'. I have seen the opposite countless times.
Me too, and white aren't a minority, which shows how stupid people really are.

Actually, your stupid. I NEVER said that being white is a minority, I said it was BECOMING one.
I'm aware of what you said, but my point still stands.

Whites may be becoming a minority, but it will take forever for it to actually happen.

High-functioning Bunny

18,125 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
giggleboxforevabby
First of all black history month is to celebrate those black americans who did something to change the lives of many people.
Isnt that what certain days (such as Martin Luther King day?) are for?

Im not racist.

This is mostly about slaveryyy butttt:

I just wanna point THIS out.
African Slavery started in africa. Among themselves. Africans sold eachother.
Yeah.

This is going to sound soooo racist but if you think about it, there wouldnt be a black history month without all the white people.

Im also just going to point THIS out.
I hate how some black americans today are still all kill the whitey! They enslaved us! Lets ******** wit em! xD

AFRICAN Slavery started in 1619. Its 2012. All of those poor people have passed away. None of those white MEN are alive now. The normal white women and men of today had nothing to do with that. Please get over it. Whitey didnt hurt blacky in this day and age. No im not saying that what happened wasnt wrong Im just saying why should the white people have to pay for it now?

Another thing! The pants sagging thing started with male black slaves. But only because their slave owner had a thing for black boys.

Yeah, pants sagging? started by homosexuals.

xD

Not being racist or anything but are you white? I know your avatar is brown but...wtf. You know what...I take that back because I have White friends that obviously know the significance of Black History Month stems from more than just slavery.

"I hate how some black americans today are still all kill the whitey! They enslaved us! Lets ******** wit em! xD"

I agree with you here regarding those individuals. Except for the fact that I have never heard anyone in this day and age say whitey. I agree that the pants sagging thing is ridiculous. I don't know about it starting with slavery though. I've always been told that it started in prisons. I know that African's enslaved each other. Slavery existed in every corner of the world.

The point of the month is to look back on what happened in THIS country.
The problem with you and so many other people is that you can't think past slavery. Apparently the only thing schools teach during Black History Month these days is slavery. When I was in k-8th grade I learned about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Frederick Douglas, George Washington Carver, Booker T. Washington, Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, Madame C.J. Walker, Ella Fitzgerald, W.E.B. Dubois, Jackie Robinson, Toussaint L'Ouverture and may more.

People who recognize Black History Month know that slavery is over but racism is still rampant today. Anyone who believes otherwise is either sheltered or naive. They recognize the fact that a lot of us who are descendants of the slave don't know our origins. We don't have a native language, cultural foods, or traditions. What we have is the history and traditions that started in this country. Our history is slavery and the Civil Rights Movement. Our culture is soul food, Spike Lee movies, stories written by May Angelou, The Color Purple, Roots and music such as blues, jazz, rap, hip-hop and r&b. (A little country and rock).

This isn't all I eat, read listen to and watch. I love to experience other people's culture and experience what makes them unique as well. Basically enjoying what makes the U.S. the U.S. The individuality and differences that can be expressed.

Your argument is that we don't need Black History Month. With this argument, we don't need Asian Pacific Heritage Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Women's History Month, Chinese New Year, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Easter, Ramadan, Japanese Restaurants, Mexican Restaurants, St. Patrick's Day Parade, Gay Pride Parade...because it's just so unnecessary and unfair for an individual race, color, sexual orientation, sex or religious group of people to have a specific month, week, day or hour to be able to celebrate who they are.

We can all live in a society like in the books Matched and Crossed by Ally Condie. (Good books by the way.) Where there is nothing that can make you stand out from the next person. Everyone reads the same poems, listens to the same music, watches the same movies, eats the same food and wears the same clothes.

Ok these are very extreme cases that probably won't happen but the bottom line is we need Black History Month.

High-functioning Bunny

18,125 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
giggleboxforevabby
Annata Cannata

it is! There just isnt as much written down as there is white history.

Please, please, please tell me what state, city and school you went to because the people there must be far ahead of their time. What school is this that teaches the history of all cultures equally? Do they teach literature, art, history and music from all cultures as well? I don't mean in a specific class like African American literature or Latin Music. I mean a class titled Survey of Literature that talks about contributing authors from several different communities and backgrounds. Or a World History class that isn't Euro-centric. It may talk about other countries but from a European point of view. Because that's how it was for me. If I wanted to learn about literature from other cultures, I had to sign up to take African American Literature or Spanish Literature or Chinese Literature, etc. Likewise for other subjects. And then...some White people have the nerve to call this reverse racism! They think it's not fair that there is a specific class for certain cultures. rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Princess Joe-jo
giggleboxforevabby
First of all black history month is to celebrate those black americans who did something to change the lives of many people.
Isnt that what certain days (such as Martin Luther King day?) are for?

Im not racist.

This is mostly about slaveryyy butttt:

I just wanna point THIS out.
African Slavery started in africa. Among themselves. Africans sold eachother.
Yeah.

This is going to sound soooo racist but if you think about it, there wouldnt be a black history month without all the white people.

Im also just going to point THIS out.
I hate how some black americans today are still all kill the whitey! They enslaved us! Lets ******** wit em! xD

AFRICAN Slavery started in 1619. Its 2012. All of those poor people have passed away. None of those white MEN are alive now. The normal white women and men of today had nothing to do with that. Please get over it. Whitey didnt hurt blacky in this day and age. No im not saying that what happened wasnt wrong Im just saying why should the white people have to pay for it now?

Another thing! The pants sagging thing started with male black slaves. But only because their slave owner had a thing for black boys.

Yeah, pants sagging? started by homosexuals.

xD

Not being racist or anything but are you white? I know your avatar is brown but...wtf. You know what...I take that back because I have White friends that obviously know the significance of Black History Month stems from more than just slavery.

"I hate how some black americans today are still all kill the whitey! They enslaved us! Lets ******** wit em! xD"

I agree with you here regarding those individuals. Except for the fact that I have never heard anyone in this day and age say whitey. I agree that the pants sagging thing is ridiculous. I don't know about it starting with slavery though. I've always been told that it started in prisons. I know that African's enslaved each other. Slavery existed in every corner of the world.

The point of the month is to look back on what happened in THIS country.
The problem with you and so many other people is that you can't think past slavery. Apparently the only thing schools teach during Black History Month these days is slavery. When I was in k-8th grade I learned about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Frederick Douglas, George Washington Carver, Booker T. Washington, Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, Madame C.J. Walker, Ella Fitzgerald, W.E.B. Dubois, Jackie Robinson, Toussaint L'Ouverture and may more.

People who recognize Black History Month know that slavery is over but racism is still rampant today. Anyone who believes otherwise is either sheltered or naive. They recognize the fact that a lot of us who are descendants of the slave don't know our origins. We don't have a native language, cultural foods, or traditions. What we have is the history and traditions that started in this country. Our history is slavery and the Civil Rights Movement. Our culture is soul food, Spike Lee movies, stories written by May Angelou, The Color Purple, Roots and music such as blues, jazz, rap, hip-hop and r&b. (A little country and rock).

This isn't all I eat, read listen to and watch. I love to experience other people's culture and experience what makes them unique as well. Basically enjoying what makes the U.S. the U.S. The individuality and differences that can be expressed.

Your argument is that we don't need Black History Month. With this argument, we don't need Asian Pacific Heritage Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Women's History Month, Chinese New Year, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Easter, Ramadan, Japanese Restaurants, Mexican Restaurants, St. Patrick's Day Parade, Gay Pride Parade...because it's just so unnecessary and unfair for an individual race, color, sexual orientation, sex or religious group of people to have a specific month, week, day or hour to be able to celebrate who they are.

We can all live in a society like in the books Matched and Crossed by Ally Condie. (Good books by the way.) Where there is nothing that can make you stand out from the next person. Everyone reads the same poems, listens to the same music, watches the same movies, eats the same food and wears the same clothes.

Ok these are very extreme cases that probably won't happen but the bottom line is we need Black History Month.

Well religious holidays really have nothing to do with race, I wasnt saying there shouldnt be some way to celebrate what people have done for themselves, I was just saying it doesnt seem right to dedicate a whole month to something when weve had worse happen. Where Im from there is alot of asians, mexicans, and white people. I was born at six months so I do appear to be white (my skin pigment didnt finish) although if you took a look at my parents (very VERY dark people) you would think I was adopted. I never said BHM was all about slavery. Everyone ELSE said that. I said I hate how it boils down to that. The pants sagging thing did start with african slaves. I believe we already have certain days to celebrate what certain people have done for us, I just think its wierd to celebrate them twice. I said from the begining that this was only my opinion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff