Welcome to Gaia! ::

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

OP, since this forum is closing tomorrow, there really isn't time for a discussion. However, about 50% of the threads in here have asked the same question, so you can read through those to your satisfaction.

In (very) brief
• Exists because: As is, the teaching of history excludes the achievements/experiences/existence of people of color.
• Getting rid of it is not well-received because: Acknowledging racism is not racist/ silencing the acknowledgement actually helps racism remain entrenched.

Questionable Borg

Melancholy Melanoma
Mars_The_Hobo

You're making up reasons to justify the fact that you're racist.
Congrats.
Black people and their history ARE a part of "regular" culture.
Just like everyone else in this country.

rolleyes
How are they racist? I agree with them, we don't need a Black History month, I don't think it's necessarily racist, but I think its unecessary. Black history is American history.

Unbeatable Genius

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
Mars_The_Hobo
Melancholy Melanoma
Mars_The_Hobo

Congrats.

rolleyes

Then why do they need a Month? Why is treated as a separate thing from White History? Why claiming that treating the achievements of people of all colors as deserving of equal recognition in History makes me a racist?

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Como odio a los Gringos y sus ideas dementes y sin sentido!!!!!!! scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream
(Next On: When Frustrated Foreigns Attack!)

"Then why do they need a Month?"
As a black, I take offence to this.
This is like saying "you people".
We are blacks, not "they"
Watch your language.
WATCH YOUR TONE!
Lol.

Unbeatable Genius

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
Mars_The_Hobo
Why can't they just have a History? One that's it black, white, red, yellow, orange, blue with purple dots....
That's why I think it's racist to continue to celebrate this Holiday. The history of the Black people in the US shouldn't be special thing or something that has to be celebrated, it should be everyday run, of the mill history. Something you learn in school all year round. And of course Native American, Asian, Hispanic, Jewish, and whatever other ethnic group lives in the US too.

Because America is a MELTING POT that shows that it appreciates a lot of cultures by placing up holidays and stuff.
Why ask this question?
We know there are different people here.
It doesn't need to be pointed out that there is a month for blacks.
There are other months, too and NOT just on color, but for status, too.
Geek month and all sorts of stuff.
Wanna take away that, too?
We should just take away all the other stuff, too.
We're all not Chinese, right?
So, why do we have the Chinese New Year on US calenders?
It's because there are Chinese here, too.
In a country that is culturally mixed together though mishaps of the past, I appreciate that.
You travel all the way back to China to celebrate it, because it's not up on the calender's here?
Wanna stripe away what brings the color to place we live in today?
Black History Month is nothing bad nor racist.
It's just one that's heavily remembered because people know what blacks went through.
That's done so much, that people don't see the REAL meaning.
The month points at the fact that in a society and world where blacks were ignored and were not of equal rights to the rest of the people, chose NOT to stand down and overcame obstacles in their way, regardless of the odds against them.
It's not about anything racist.
It's not blacks fault that this month became famous for what it is.
If you wanna say Black History Month should be taken away, then take away every other little cultural or "racist" holiday.
Take down Halloween, that mocks the cultural Day of the Dead celebrated by Mexican cultures.
Take down Thanksgiving, that mocks the death of Indians who gave trust and got killed for it over land.
Take down Valentine's Day that ALSO mocks the death of people because the holiday SURELY wasn't based on love.

Thing is, you're looking at the WRONG thing here.
You're pointing out Black History Month, because it's publicized like a main stream holiday and saying it should be nothing special because not only black were the ones that went though things.
They have a month or day for like EVERYTHING and not just blacks.
So, your little wish of taking it away because we all "people that share the same history" is too unreal.
Stop aiming at this month because you don't know the meaning of it, if you're gonna say things like that.
You want this gone, then take away every other little holiday on our calender, that's basically a cover up on over what REALLY happend on that day.
Unlike the main stream holidays, you get the TRUTH of what happened in history and learn lessons from Black History Month, with the possibility of inspiration and understanding.
Not some commercialized lie, like the rest of the dumb holidays that are just celebrated by tons without knowing the meaning of it in the first place.
Let's all have ONE, BIG "We're-all-humans-in-this-history-and-world" holiday.
Let's all be the same big, dumb, grey, no colored (and no pun on blacks intended) world you want us to be.
Because I like how you people are pointing out Black History Month should not be up and claim it to be from good intentions and fairness of history and others, when you pointing it out like this makes it racist.
I see all these other holidays and months aren't a problem, huh?

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
To be fair, every month is dedicated to a certain race or whatnot (shows you how much I pay attention to them), but black history month is more publicized than the rest of them. What's really racist is how black history month gets all the media's attention while we hardly ever hear about any of the others. If all of them can't be blessed with all the damn fuss, then none of them should.

Lavish Millionaire

10,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Tycoon 200
youve taking history havent you. all of it is about the romans,greeks,english,and americans isant it. history is told from a european(white) point of veiw.
ps almost every culture is celebrated with there own month.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Melancholy Melanoma
Because then we would only learn about white history.
That's racist.

I'm gonna have to tip your posts. Well said.

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
Odio a los Gringos

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
Melancholy Melanoma
Mars_The_Hobo

Congrats.

rolleyes

Then why do they need a Month? Why is treated as a separate thing from White History? Why claiming that treating the achievements of people of all colors as deserving of equal recognition in History makes me a racist?

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Como odio a los Gringos y sus ideas dementes y sin sentido!!!!!!! scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream scream
(Next On: When Frustrated Foreigns Attack!)

Aged Gaian

Mars_The_Hobo

Congrats.

rolleyes

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
Melancholy Melanoma
That's racist.

*groan* Please learn to read. What I said it's that people don't need a Black History or an Native-American History or an Asian-American History or whatnot; they need A History, one that it's about all the peoples that have ever lived in America.
In my opinion, "Black History" is racist because it implies that Black people and their history aren't part of the regular culture; they're this other thing that live next to Us, but it's not part of Us.
I think you should stop promoting "Black History" and start promoting the teaching or an Integrated History all 12 months of the year.

Aged Gaian

That's racist.

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
Why can't they just have a History? One that's it black, white, red, yellow, orange, blue with purple dots....
That's why I think it's racist to continue to celebrate this Holiday. The history of the Black people in the US shouldn't be special thing or something that has to be celebrated, it should be everyday run, of the mill history. Something you learn in school all year round. And of course Native American, Asian, Hispanic, Jewish, and whatever other ethnic group lives in the US too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff