Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Codger

Saberie
Most of America's history and historical figures are white-oriented. With Black History Month, we can focus on what black people did to help move this country forward, since not much of it is covered in the history books (other than MLK, Rosa Parks, civil war, and civil rights movement.)

Thus keeping it still separate. If we pushed to have more of other people's contributions in history books....

Dapper Fatcat

Ayamae Akahana
Saberie
Most of America's history and historical figures are white-oriented. With Black History Month, we can focus on what black people did to help move this country forward, since not much of it is covered in the history books (other than MLK, Rosa Parks, civil war, and civil rights movement.)

Thus keeping it still separate. If we pushed to have more of other people's contributions in history books....
Probably because the average American school year doesn't last long enough to cover everything, so they set one month out of the year dedicated to learning Black American History to make sure it isn't left out.

Liberal Codger

Saberie
Ayamae Akahana
Saberie

Probably because the average American school year doesn't last long enough to cover everything, so they set one month out of the year dedicated to learning Black American History to make sure it isn't left out.

...but why can't they just put that into their regular teachings? When I was in school (which was not long ago at all) I don't seem to remember a month devoted to learning about what the Asian or Latin-Americans did for this country. I don't think it's really fair. If it was all blended together, it would be more fair.

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Ayamae Akahana
X sansmerci
• Why should there be a Black History Month?
Since the recording of history has been dominated by white people to the extent of erasing the experiences, achievements & existence of people of color, we have a month where teachers can fill-in all of that.

• Doesn't Black History Month make people more racist?
No.

• But it says BLACK and that points out how we're different colors?
People do not suddenly notice differences because of this or any other period set aside for people to acknowledge and preserve minority cultures.

Racism is not individual acts of meanness but systematic oppression of some and favoring of others that is embedded into society. Refusing to talk about it, and so on, is not anti-racist. It is silencing people of color in favor of allowing white people to continue to not acknowledge or confront their privilege.

Why can we not all just be "people". I'm talking about eliminating all the labels. I'm not saying refuse to talk about it, I'm saying make it a non-issue. Why can't we just look at one another as other humans instead of "Oh, that white guy" or "yeah, that black chick"?

By having these different months for different "races", there's a certain amount of separation. If they were all combined...

Simply eliminating the words "black" and "white" as descriptors now would not fix a blessed thing. Ideally you already call everyone people, but "just seeing people" is actually something that allows racism to continue. When you don't see color, you wind up assuming everyone else's experiences are like your own, which for white people (those who most commonly use the phrase) means you're refusing to see how PoC are affected and what they face every day.

That we need to actually sit down and say "okay, non-white people existed, here's the cliff notes of what they did" is frustrating and not at all a good thing, but getting rid of the bandaid will not fix the wound.

It's really really not as simple as just "making it fair." Things are still so very disparate that people will need to be pro-actively anti-racist for a while yet before we come anywhere close to actually having a society that isn't racist.

Gracious Phantom

9,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Generous 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
This may seem harsh but fudge it, I'm going to be honest. Looking at it from an outsider's perspective, the whole widespread racism in America is ridiculous. Nearly everyone on the continent of North America is a colonist, whether they went over there willingly or not. White people have no reason to feel superior to black people because they were the refuse of Europe. Many went over because they were not wanted by people from their own countries, largely for religious or political reasons. Black people have no right to get on their high horse about slavery either. After all they were enslaving their own people long before whites ever set foot in Africa. Sure, even white people were enslaved by other white people. Also who sold these African slaves to the white slave traders? African slave traders. That was the way of the world then, why cling on to it and blame people today? Slavery happened in other countries too, yet there doesn't seem to be as much resentment as there is in the US.

There is a term used where I live for Americans. It's not very nice and although I don't use it much myself, I think it will back up my point. Americans are seen as a b*****d or illegitimate race. Why? Because apart from Native Americans there is no such thing as the American race. It's a mix of everything with practically no source. Which to me makes the degree of racism unbelievable. Pretty much every American is a mix of different races so why hate others who are in the same boat as you? Labeling black people African Americans is not logical. Taking that logic and applying it generally, white people should be branded European Americans and the only ones who could truly call themselves American are the Native Americans.

In response to the OP, I don't think there should be a Black History Month as it should be taught in schools generally. However until this happens I guess it's a good idea.

Unbeatable Genius

8,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
Ayamae Akahana
Why can't it just be Human History Month? Honestly, stuff like this is the reason why there is still racism, because we look at eachother as "black" or as "white" or as "asian" or "mexican". I do not celebrate Black History Month because of this. To me, it's stupid. A person made a historical contribution. The color of their skin shouldn't have to be noted.

This is like my position on the use of the word "******". If it is applied to EVERYONE, regardless of color, it is no longer racist. :I

There is only one race, the human race. I hope people can run with that.

Actually, as a black guy, speaking, it's pointing it out like this that makes it kinda racist.
It's nice to care, put you have to make it seem in a way where it's not so... yeah.

Black History Month isn't anything to be celebrated.
It's a reminder of the accomplishments that black people have made throughout this history, regardless of how hard it was on black at the time they were trying to make the accomplishments.
It's more of a motivational thing that can motivate blacks through hardships.
And, it's not just a black thing.
When people can realize "Wow... Despite having some very heavy odds against them at that time in history and society, maybe I too as a person can endure and pass through my own hardships as well" it becomes a motivational thing for all people and not just blacks because us as humans ALL have problems.
It's "Black History Month" because it just so HAPPENS that those people who hard hardships and had it the hardest were black and they have that in common.
Not just because they are black.
It's nothing racist.
Ayamae Akahana
Why can't it just be Human History Month? Honestly, stuff like this is the reason why there is still racism, because we look at eachother as "black" or as "white" or as "asian" or "mexican". I do not celebrate Black History Month because of this. To me, it's stupid. A person made a historical contribution. The color of their skin shouldn't have to be noted.

This is like my position on the use of the word "n****r". If it is applied to EVERYONE, regardless of color, it is no longer racist. :I

There is only one race, the human race. I hope people can run with that.

Amen. Wow. Never thought of that. biggrin
It's just a look back on what blacks had to do in order for the generations and generations after them will be able to live a life where they wouldn't have to suffer all those hardships and other things. Being a 1st in a certain race is definitely worth the wild. Those people then become role models and younger people would want to follow in their footsteps.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff