Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do u think blacks need a month to themselves?

Yes 0.21428571428571 21.4% [ 3 ]
No 0.35714285714286 35.7% [ 5 ]
Who cares.... 0.071428571428571 7.1% [ 1 ]
D: I cant decide! 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Every race needs a month!!!:D 0.35714285714286 35.7% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 14 ]
This poll closed on February 28, 2013.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

Personally I have nothing wrong with colored people , but to put aside one month for them I believe is stupid.what do they really need to be celebrated for? I mean look at the Jews the whites the Indians .....they dont have a month to themselves why blacks?

5,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Well first off, don't call us "colored people" that I find to be very offensive and can be to other people too. I do agree that other races have been though a lot of stuff through out their history but just because other races don't have a month to be celebrated doesn't mean that black people shouldn't. If you believe that other races should be celebrated to then celebrate them, you don't need a month to be told to celebrate something. Personally I don't "celebrate" but use the time to be thankful for where we are right now as a race and to remember the history of black people as a whole.
I wasnt trying to be offensive and im sorry if i was.Yes i know you dont need a month to celebrate what you have been givin through the years.Im just confused why they decided to make it.

In a relationship with Cash Cow No 28609479

Obessive
Well first off, don't call us "colored people" that I find to be very offensive and can be to other people too.

What's wrong with the term "colored people"? I always thought of it as just a term for all kind of other skin tones. Because not all colored people, are black...
I didnt think it was rude or mean until he said it maybe it the certain person?

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
Actually, blacks aren't the only ones who get their own month. Every month is dedicated to one thing or the other, but black history month happens to more publicized than the others, at least where I'm at it is.

5,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
angelxdemonlovers
I wasnt trying to be offensive and im sorry if i was.Yes i know you dont need a month to celebrate what you have been givin through the years.Im just confused why they decided to make it.
No I understand I was just stating that I know some people that get really offended by the term so I was just saying it'd probably just be better to refer to Black people as Black or African Americans. Also it was originally just a week; the second week of February, and it was to celebrate the birthday of Abraham Lincon and Frederick Douglass who was a black man that escaped from slavery and became a writer and lead abolitionist movements. They actually planned on stopping celebrating that week after black history was included into American history but people seemed to like the idea of it and it grew into popularity and eventually into a whole month of celebrating the history and the people of our race that helped us get to where we are today.
Wow i didnt know that.Thanks smile

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Why saying "colored people" is gauche:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Black or African American is better if you're talking about the people you've been learning about in school this month, people of color (PoC) is the polite term if you wanna refer to everyone who is not "white."

Why there is a black history month:
History is white supremacist. Not just what happened, but how it's been recorded. This has not been fixed in the mainstream teaching of it, so in US schools you spend a few minutes a day (max) during the shortest month of the year applying a patch to the gaping hole of people being written out of history. It is not perfect, but is better than nothing.
ya,Thats very true.I go to a black peoples school and im white im here alot of the black history month for more than jsut that month,
We can kick dirt at b.h.m. but had this country done so much wrong why are they all still here to complain? Also if this is the melting pot or salad bowl of the world each individual culture should be nationally recognized and be made to honor for a day or a month makes little difference.

6,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Sister Yuki
January:
Geek Appreciation Month
February:
Black History Month (USA)
March:
Irish-American Heritage Month
Greek-American Heritage Month
April:
Arab-American Heritage Month
Tartan (Scottish-American) Heritage Month
May:
South Asian Heritage Month
Haitian Heritage Month
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
Jewish American Heritage Month
June:
Caribbean American Heritage Month
White History Month
July:
French-American Heritage Month
August:
None
September:
National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 to October 15)
National Bourbon Heritage Month
German-American Heritage Month (September 15-October 15)
October:
Black History Month (UK)
Filipino American History Month
Italian-American Heritage Month
November:
National American Indian & Alaska Native Heritage Month
December:
None

Now remember to please look down the line of topics before complaining that there aren't any other months for other people.

There are other History months & i hate people that complain about it . If you take the time to even understand why there are "appreciation months" , then you wouldn't have a reason to complain because if that's not your heritage, then it really doesn't affect you.

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
You know how white women need one week of every month to be appreciated? Consider yourself lucky it isn't that way with black people. rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff