Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,000 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
stormylane
So tell me, if a white skinned African relocated to America... would they too be "African Americans" or is that reserved for black Americans only?

Honest question!!

No,
You would be an African; this is very different from and African American who has been littered and diluted with the idea's that all white people are racist, we have real problems in Africa and don't need to be paranoid about every middle class white man calling us names. African Americans are very sensitive about these issues compared to Africans- racism does hurt and is confusing, but we do not let it controll out lives. Ooften times we are offended by the "African" american and how they may treat a white skinned African.

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lady Ammaryce

This is one of my main reasons for hating the political correctness we've sunken into.
If we follow the logic of labeling people "African Americans" or "Latino Americans" then I should be called a "European American."

Only if you see "America" as being born among those who lived here before the Europeans "discovered" it. Otherwise technically, you're just European. xD The only way you could be American is if you had Native American heritage. Or Mexican. Or Canadian, Or anything in the South, since America is really two continents.

We are in the UNITED STATES OF America, not just any given part of The Americas.

Shirtless Heckler

7,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
T4NGO
Lady Ammaryce

This is one of my main reasons for hating the political correctness we've sunken into.
If we follow the logic of labeling people "African Americans" or "Latino Americans" then I should be called a "European American."

Only if you see "America" as being born among those who lived here before the Europeans "discovered" it. Otherwise technically, you're just European. xD The only way you could be American is if you had Native American heritage. Or Mexican. Or Canadian, Or anything in the South, since America is really two continents.

We are in the UNITED STATES OF America, not just any given part of The Americas.

Sorry, I'm having problems getting this: Having Mexican ancestry makes you "American" but not having Native American heritage even if you're being born and raised America?
Granted Mexicans, and any other Latin American for that matter, have astronomical chances of having Native America ancestry, but there are still a few who don't (I have a friend whose parents left China during the Cultural Revolution in order to have a lot of children; she certainly doesn't have any Native American heritage, but she's still very much Costa Rican and American)

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Mars_The_Hobo
T4NGO
Lady Ammaryce

Sorry, I'm having problems getting this: Having Mexican ancestry makes you "American" but not having Native American heritage even if you're being born and raised America?
Granted Mexicans, and any other Latin American for that matter, have astronomical chances of having Native America ancestry, but there are still a few who don't (I have a friend whose parents left China during the Cultural Revolution in order to have a lot of children; she certainly doesn't have any Native American heritage, but she's still very much Costa Rican and American)

Has nothing to do with Mexico, I'm just talking about how people consider the USA to be America, when in reality, America is two whole continents.

Shirtless Heckler

7,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
T4NGO
Mars_The_Hobo
T4NGO
Lady Ammaryce

Has nothing to do with Mexico, I'm just talking about how people consider the USA to be America, when in reality, America is two whole continents.

Actually America is One continent, but I know by experience that arguing this will lead nowhere.

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Mars_The_Hobo
T4NGO
Mars_The_Hobo
T4NGO
Lady Ammaryce

Actually America is One continent, but I know by experience that arguing this will lead nowhere.

North America, South America. If those are both combined only one continent, then you must also believe that the world has only 6 continents altogether, not 7?

Shirtless Heckler

7,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
T4NGO
Mars_The_Hobo
T4NGO
Mars_The_Hobo
T4NGO
Lady Ammaryce

North America, South America. If those are both combined only one continent, then you must also believe that the world has only 6 continents altogether, not 7?

Actually I believe there are 5 (Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceanía [Australia] and America). That's what I was taught in school, what every kid in Latin America is taught is school; which is why we get so defensive when it comes to the "America Debate", we feel entitled to call ourselves "Americans"

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Mars_The_Hobo
T4NGO
Mars_The_Hobo
T4NGO
Mars_The_Hobo

Actually I believe there are 5 (Africa, Asia, Europe, Oceanía [Australia] and America). That's what I was taught in school, what every kid in Latin America is taught is school; which is why we get so defensive when it comes to the "America Debate", we feel entitled to call ourselves "Americans"

So... what continent does Antarctica belong to?

Fashionable Survivor

Lady Ammaryce

So long as you live in this country you're just a goddamned American.
[/rant]

Anywho, on topic, they'd still be white on those ethnicity questions, but nationality speaking, yeah, I'd say they'd be African Americans. That would actually be a correct statement.

This. If everyone else is just "American" at what point (after how many generations) do you just become "American" instead of people from Africa, Jamaica, any of the parts of Asia/ Europe, anywhere else?

I can see if we were talking about where our families came from originally, but that isn't what people are doing.

2,100 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
I is so confuse dramallama

Shirtless Heckler

7,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
T4NGO
So... what continent does Antarctica belong to?

Um..... I've no idea, it's been a while since I last took Geography

Dapper Dabbler

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
My great grandmother was born and raised in Egypt, located in Africa. I am as white as white gets. But I am African-American as well. In fact, I am more directly African than most black people in America, since most of their great grandparents were born right here in America.

Unbeatable Shapeshifter

8,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Hygienic 200
yes if your born in that country thats what you are.
ex: i was born in america terfore im american but this dude even though hes white was born in africa but moved here therefore he is african american.
not that hard biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games