Welcome to Gaia! ::

Not taking the time to read through all six pages but, I don't think there needs to be a black history month. I don't think there needs to be any month dedicated to a certain ethnicity.

Manly Shoujo

11,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Okay, just because we're white doesn't mean we rule the world and the media. I've seen a million minorities that have been portrayed on TV as normal people and not stereotypes. And although I do think there should be a Black History Month, I also believe there should be a Hispanic History Month, an Asian History Month, and all of those, to celebrate each races indivuality and their different actions that developed history. Which means there should, in all fairness, be a Caucasian History Month. And how is it that there's a Black Music Awards, but no Asian Music Awards, Hispanic Music Awards, etcetera?

And actually, America is one of the least racially pregidous countries in the world, considering it is literally "The Melting Pot" of all races. In Japan, South Africa, and other countries there are more pregidouses and stereotypes against Caucasians and Americans than of any of the other races.

Dangerous Genius

Nu Sanniang
Clouxx

I don't use wikipedia as a reference.
And No, in sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc.
If you're saying a lot of white people in those, there are still a lot of successful, high-rated, mainstream black shows still on television.
Ex: Fresh Prince, Tyler Perry's house of Payne, Everybody hates Chris, Family Matters, Cosby Show.

Some of the biggest actors in movies are black. Ex: Morgan Freeman, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes, etc.

Most listened to, mainstream music. Ex: Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Rihanna, Diana Ross, etc.

Point is, as far as media, I disagree that black people are discriminated against that harshly at all.

Fresh Prince is finished.
Everybody hates Chris is fnished.
Family Matters is finished.
The Cosby Show is finished.

The only relevant thing you said in your statement will be House of Pain as (unfortunately) a successful high rated show.

But it's not mainstream.

Take for example the Cosby Show were the viewership had about an equal to both "african american households" and "white america household". Networks on where the shows are air almost plays and important role on what makes it mainstream.

Tyler Perry's work is known in most America however he is supported more than half by black Americans. Those are his consumers and his audience in his past works.

But if I were to ask you name 10 scripted shows where a Black American is the "HEAD" lead, can you? With including only One of Tyler's Perry work.
But can you name 10 scripted shows where the lead is white american? (too easyyy)

And not just Black American use any minority group
Asian for example can you name 10 american shows where an asian is a head lead?

Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes. -nods-

Only two of those are A listers. There are MANY black actors, but how many are A listers?

A listers qualify as someone who as been a lead in a huge movie production and is a average household name--they are a BRAND. Their name alone brings attention and MONEY.

If for example Nia Long is a star in a movie and Brad Pitt is a star in movie how many more people will recognize Nia Long's name over Brad Pitt?

African Americans don't have a lot of A list Actors.
For every 1 A list *identify* Black American you can name 5 white american.

"Most listened to, mainstream music. Ex: Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Rihanna, Diana Ross, etc.

Point is, as far as media, I disagree that black people are discriminated against that harshly at all."

Music Genre is correct. African Americans dominates the major pop culture music industry.

BUT in return we get the worse backlash for doing the same thing White americans will do.
Unless the White American offend some religious group most of the look is deem as edgy and creative where there are controversies surrounding Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and even Beyonce.
But if you only pay attention to the "music" and "sales" you wouldnt know much of what I'm talking about concerning this.

The media is very harsh on Black Americans and People of color.

Have you seen the national coverage on the Casey Anothey Story? Even if you havent you heard. A white little girl was reported missing emo And the media coverage was heavy it was even worse when the trials came about.

But have you heard any coverage on Daffine Stephane Cabrera-Demnieta, Patrick Alford, Tagena Griffith or Kiara Dharmesh that's a mix of black, hispanic and asian emo All under 5 years of reported missing.

The news can not report EVERY child missing, but why is it only nation eye focus when the poor victim is white?

It's the same media that as started a misused of words stating its Black Americans who are unmarriable and least attractive. It's the media that is focus heavily on the attention of our hair of our so called "lacked" and who can forget the N word?

emo I dont see any other nationalities that looked at under such HEAVY microscope so negatively.

I disagree, there are black leads in a lot of shows that don't have a fully black cast.
In most CSI shows, black people have been lead parts. NCIS LA - black lead. in House MD - black lead. Criminal Minds - black lead. - they're all in every single episode.
Denzel Washington, Will Smith, and Morgan Freeman are DEFINITELY A list. Samuel L Jackson. James Earl Jones. Lawrence Fishburne. Jamie Foxx. Eddie Murphy, Halle Berry, Whoopi Goldburg... Come on..

They are called minorities for a reason. They are a minority. There aren't as many of them in America, therefore there isn't going to be as equal of a ratio in media. That's just common sense. It's not about being racist.
It's just people like you who think that it's racist after counting the number of white people versus minorities in media in general.

I don't think that media or movies in general should have to follow a specific diversity formula to be able to cast their projects. That would just be way too pathetic.

Plus, there are a billion predominantly white shows that are cancelled. You can't use that they are all being 'cancelled' as an excuse, because there are many, many more predominantly white shows that ended.

I don't see why to be "fair", white people have to be discriminated against so harshly.
Honestly.
- Who gets into the college if a white person and a minority have similar grades but the white person's is slightly higher? The minority.
- Why is it that even saying "African American" now is politically incorrect, yet you can say someone is white, or Caucasian? or "White boy" or a Cracker, for that matter, and that doesn't get corrected? How is that not racist?
- Maybe the media focuses some more on several little white girls gone missing as a ratio (however, as white being the majority of america, tons of them have gone under the radar too.) Was the Casey Anthony case not a sad story for every race? Was it really just because she was white? Because that's very disrespectful to say that they only chose her case to show because she was white, and not because of the story behind it. OJ Simpson's case was, I'd say, a much more widely known case and he's black. Or Michael Jackson being a *****? That was all over the news for a long time.

- How is it that there is a minority president? Obviously they aren't discriminated against that much.

Do you know what makes the typical racist white person discriminate against some minorities?
This. The fact that a lot of them are like this - they act like their lives are so hard and they blame it on racism or discrimination if they don't get anywhere.
The civil rights movement has been carried out very, very well.

I feel bad for the homosexual people in America right now, if you honestly think that minorities have it so bad, maybe look at their freedoms and acceptance over homosexual peoples'.
They can't even legally get married in most states - yet it's so sad and emotionally damaging to a minority that the N word is used? And who uses the N word the most? THOSE MINORITIES. That is pathetic. I feel sorry for people who think like that, because they are very selfish.

I'm not going to continue replying after this, because I realize that with stone hard ignorance, there is no open mind, so no matter how much I provide obvious evidence or provide relevant theories/facts, this is going no where.
I am not a racist, I just don't like that people get so offended by other people's generalization of them. If they are judging you, they most likely don't matter, and if they matter, they probably don't judge you - so it annoys me so much that "racism" is such a "pressing issue" in America, when there's hardly any fatal hate crimes done from white people here anymore (with the exception of maybe deep, rural south.)

It's just sad.
Lorem Corpus
Okay, just because we're white doesn't mean we rule the world and the media. I've seen a million minorities that have been portrayed on TV as normal people and not stereotypes. And although I do think there should be a Black History Month, I also believe there should be a Hispanic History Month, an Asian History Month, and all of those, to celebrate each races indivuality and their different actions that developed history. Which means there should, in all fairness, be a Caucasian History Month. And how is it that there's a Black Music Awards, but no Asian Music Awards, Hispanic Music Awards, etcetera?

And actually, America is one of the least racially pregidous countries in the world, considering it is literally "The Melting Pot" of all races. In Japan, South Africa, and other countries there are more pregidouses and stereotypes against Caucasians and Americans than of any of the other races.

Asian Pacific Month is May
Hispanic Month is October.

How would you know what is a stereotype, if you don't have to live in the skin that is being portray as one?

Take for example an old stereotype of black people Fried Chicken and Watermelon.

If you go to a store and see a poster of a black boy with a HUGE grin saying Fried Chicken and watermelon is on sale, you would probably called foul!
That is a stereotype of black people saying they all eat CHICKEN and WATERMELON.

=nods=

How about seeing a black girl in a movie whose snappin her neck and is aggressive?
Which a lot of time when as a side character, is how their portray OR their devoid of any culture reference at all.
A Stereotype.
" Hispanic Music Awards" is called the Latin Music Awards you can catch it on Telemundo on April 26
Mnet Asian Music Awards and UK Asian Music Awards are two Asian Focus award shows.

It is to be noted that these "award" shows was not "given" or made by "white people or the goverment" to honor a particular group. These award shows including BET award shows were created and run by *for example BET* Black People people
The UAMA --asians. Etc.

These nationalities as gotten together with their own and created something of their own to represent and honor their musical accomplishments.

"And actually, America is one of the least racially pregidous countries in the world, "

Not true, America struggles with the worse racism in the world.
That's because everyone thinks racism and prejudices is over with so nothing gets talked about or handle without someone crying "RACISM" or "YOURE TO SENSITIVE"

and to not be seen as a bad person or evil spirited people tend to cry colorblind and avoid the issue. If you search you'll find many topics every month (at least) about the racism and issues dealing with America.

But it's probably best you'll like at a minority focus article too see what you normally wouldn't.
Rainbow Kazoo
Not taking the time to read through all six pages but, I don't think there needs to be a black history month. I don't think there needs to be any month dedicated to a certain ethnicity.

User Image
Clouxx

You sure can disagree, for I am not here to convince you of otherwise, just trying to express how your view is one sided and seeing just one area nstead of the full picture.

Tom Hanks,Tom Cruise ,Brad Pitt , Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Johnny Depp , Jennifer Aniston, (Yeah she makes B movies but shes an A lister)Leonardo DiCaprio,Scarlett Johansson, Daniel Radcliffe,Orlando Bloom, Tobey Maguire, Reese Witherspoon, Elijah Wood,Jon Voight, Bruce Willis,Ben Affleck, George Clooney, Willem Dafoe, Keanu Reeves, Nicolas Cage,Matthew McConaughey, Russell Crowe ...etc.

It's people like me who tends to see Black americans not given as many opportunity, in the acting industry, because executives feel we are not relatable. Taraji P. Henson, Gabrielle Union, Tyler Perry(to name a few) who have come out and spoken on these issues. Which is why you see Tyler Perry focus more heavily on having a predominant black cast. You even have George Lucas who was deny funding from major studios for his film Red Tails because they feel his film which features an all black cast will not do well in the box office because they feel the audience can not relate to them.

In an interview on The Daily Show on January 9, 2012, Lucas revealed that the long delay in the production of the film was because major film studios balked at financing and marketing a film with an "all-black" cast and "no major white roles." He went on to explain that studios receive "60% of their profit" from overseas, and the studios feel there is no market there for films with all-black casts.

That is not even come from Black person mouth. So people can't even say were "Complaining" since when such issues is brought up from black people is how its perceived. "Oh were complaining" or "you should be happy we got a BLACK president" like we should be grateful. talk2hand
Yet he's under the most heavy scrutinize position even having some media outlet make fun of his wife and children. Even going as far as to label him "Food Stamp President."
=3= Now thats nother stereotype, but I digress. I mean I don't even like the dude and I see how difficult congress and the media makes it for him to do his job.

Too be quite fair After P. Geroge Bush the country was so ready for a chance and to get away with Republicans that anyone in the democratic party would have done, POTUS Obama just was icing on the whole "Change of America" .

But that is why racism is such a big thing in America. While White people feel they have to walk on egg shells, minorities still feel the effect of discrimination and lack of opportunity.

-You first point about Affirmative Action is correct. I feel too it should only be used when a institution denies the right of a individual base solely because of their nationality, religion etc.
-Chile, I dunno -smh- Well the Cracker thing is not acceptable and you can correct whomever chooses to use it. However, that's all semantics to be honest. Call whoever what they wishes to be called by Black or African American I personally can careless they both identify to me the same.
-Any and Every story of a missing/abuse child is heartbreaking because it should never EVER happen. But the ratio focus of who gets the spotlight is whats being talked about and even you recognize the lacking of color.
You mention two cases where Black people was eaten alive and hated by the media.
When were feature on the media its rarely in a good light.

Casey Anthony was one too your two.
Rainbow Kazoo

Sigh, than you need to take time to read then otherwise we're just going to be having the same comment being said over and over again by someone who has no knowledge on the subject whatsoever.

Invisible Genius

9,800 Points
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
I don't think we need anything! I say we should get rid of all the special months & celebrate as a whole.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Bashelia Peppita
Clouxx
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby
hoeses
giggleboxforevabby
Im just adding this cause I saw it mentioned...

Why should we dedicate more than two channels to a race? White people dont have one, Mexicans dont, chinese dont...etc.

Honestly there are no african americans anymore.

Im an extreamly neutral person. I hate racist people. Im a pansexual mutt. xD

Yes they do hun. There are a lot of them actually. I see them all the time. 'specailly the spanish channels. xD
Yes there are. I live around them. Just saying. But I agree with what I didn't bold in your statement.

Ok well, I dont really watch alot of channels dedicated to a certain race, so I guess I wouldnt really know, but what Im saying it the person who made this topic says its all dedicated to white people, Ive never seen one. We need one. Poor whiteys. xD

You act like you're all multiracial and therefore exempt of racism, but you could pass as white and so I consider you to be white. Well, of course tv channels aren't marketed to be white but they sure as hell are. It's not like there's gonna be a channel that explicitly says 'this is The White Channel'. Why won't you just believe me and turn on your tv to see all the white shows? rolleyes It has really been like that in the past. Black people were rare back then and the few that were on tv, had to fulfill a stereotypical role, like 'the mammy' or 'the coon'.

"You could pass as white and so I consider you to be white"

Is that not just as, if not much more, racist/stereotypical as "white people" are?
That entirely ignorant statement right there completely ruined any chance of credit or validity to any argument you're trying to make.

PS: Flip through all of the sports channels and see how many white people are playing the sports and getting all of that money for playing those mainstream sports, since we're talking about mainstream television.

Not very many are white.
'Passing' refers to a key concept in racial segregation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(racial_identity) There are a considerable amount of white people in sports. But with sports like running, almost everyone is black because they have a genetic advantage.

Wiki is a bad source. I could go on that exact page right now and change it. Its written by random people who may or may not have anyclue what they are talking about.

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
giggleboxforevabby
Wiki is a bad source. I could go on that exact page right now and change it. Its written by random people who may or may not have anyclue what they are talking about.
That's not important, what I'm still trying to say is that 'passing' refers to, in this case, a non-white person who can be perceived as white. These people are therefore exempt of racism. http://www.racematters.org/passingforwhite.htm

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby
That's not important, what I'm still trying to say is that 'passing' refers to, in this case, a non-white person who can be perceived as white. These people are therefore exempt of racism. http://www.racematters.org/passingforwhite.htm

Um I dont care WHAT you think is important. I dont care what you think passing is. No one is "exempt" of racism.

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
giggleboxforevabby
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby

Um I dont care WHAT you think is important. I dont care what you think passing is. No one is "exempt" of racism.
We wandered way off from the actual point of this thread. I still think that this month is necessary and relevant and that a potential month for white people only has become politically incorrect over the course of history.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby

That is racist. Why should we have a black history month then? Being black isnt a minority anymore, it really isnt. Everyone has to fight for equality. Im not black. But Im not white either. (Im a true mutt. My dads mexican, black, indian and white. My mom is greek and german. I only appear to be very white because I was born at 6 months and my skin pigment didnt finish developing.) I hate when people think people are racist just because the role in the directors movie was white. Do you know why the lead was white? because thats the writer wrote the person as white. Not because that person was racist, but because thats just how the story goes or who had the best audition... No one is forced to fill any stereotypical role, they do it of their on accord.

You can call me many things, but I'm not a racist. Almost all mainstream movies have white leads, it's very disproportionate to the actual population. It's almost like society has a preference to see white people on TV and movies. I'm not saying that every movie should feature token people of color, but it would be a nice change.

Yeah some movies have white leads, because its a WHITE character, because thats just who got the role! Its not like a black person came in and auditioned and they were like OH NOOOOO! BLACKIE!
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but it comes off as racist. Are you denying the fact that whites feature prominently on TV?

What is racist there??? They dont feature prominently on TV.

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
giggleboxforevabby
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby

That is racist. Why should we have a black history month then? Being black isnt a minority anymore, it really isnt. Everyone has to fight for equality. Im not black. But Im not white either. (Im a true mutt. My dads mexican, black, indian and white. My mom is greek and german. I only appear to be very white because I was born at 6 months and my skin pigment didnt finish developing.) I hate when people think people are racist just because the role in the directors movie was white. Do you know why the lead was white? because thats the writer wrote the person as white. Not because that person was racist, but because thats just how the story goes or who had the best audition... No one is forced to fill any stereotypical role, they do it of their on accord.

You can call me many things, but I'm not a racist. Almost all mainstream movies have white leads, it's very disproportionate to the actual population. It's almost like society has a preference to see white people on TV and movies. I'm not saying that every movie should feature token people of color, but it would be a nice change.

Yeah some movies have white leads, because its a WHITE character, because thats just who got the role! Its not like a black person came in and auditioned and they were like OH NOOOOO! BLACKIE!
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but it comes off as racist. Are you denying the fact that whites feature prominently on TV?

What is racist there??? They dont feature prominently on TV.
Unfortunately, they do.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Bashelia Peppita
claim2fame
just a homophobe and not ashamed to say so.i could go on why but lm not because it'll be oftopic.you are the close minded one because you do not understand my viewpoint or even try to.all you can say is ''your rascist or im not even'' type of replies
There's no good reason to be a homophobe. A possible white history month is unnecessary for many reasons. First of all, the 'regular' history lessons about Europe are all about white people.

You have no right to tell this person how to think. I may not agree with some of this persons views, considering Im pansexual but give me ten GOOD reasons why there shouldnt be a white history month?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff