Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ferocious Browser

Izzy Van Helsing
Can we make it clear that you refer to white people in countries like America?

Because in countries like South Africa, white people are treated almost as badly as the blacks were in America in the sixties. Raped, killed, beaten, robbed, etc. People there- wouldn't hurt for them to have a white history month equivalent, and a fight for equality, rights, etc.

What would they talk about in South Africa in terms of white people that isn't horrifying (invasion, take over, land thievery..)? Same as a white people month in China and in India and just about everywhere.

In south africa it might be the same if the blacks had invaded Europe and forced the whites to come on over. But that isn't what happened at all, the white people went there quite willingly and with full intentions of stealing everyone's s**t by trade or violence or whatever it took.

What good have they done there since that is the point of history months usually; to point out how minority people helped progress society and the world to where we are now. What could they talk about in schools that would show them in a good light? And I emphasize school because ever since I left high school I haven't heard anything about anyone's months in the real world.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby

That is racist. Why should we have a black history month then? Being black isnt a minority anymore, it really isnt. Everyone has to fight for equality. Im not black. But Im not white either. (Im a true mutt. My dads mexican, black, indian and white. My mom is greek and german. I only appear to be very white because I was born at 6 months and my skin pigment didnt finish developing.) I hate when people think people are racist just because the role in the directors movie was white. Do you know why the lead was white? because thats the writer wrote the person as white. Not because that person was racist, but because thats just how the story goes or who had the best audition... No one is forced to fill any stereotypical role, they do it of their on accord.

You can call me many things, but I'm not a racist. Almost all mainstream movies have white leads, it's very disproportionate to the actual population. It's almost like society has a preference to see white people on TV and movies. I'm not saying that every movie should feature token people of color, but it would be a nice change.

Yeah some movies have white leads, because its a WHITE character, because thats just who got the role! Its not like a black person came in and auditioned and they were like OH NOOOOO! BLACKIE!

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
giggleboxforevabby
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby

That is racist. Why should we have a black history month then? Being black isnt a minority anymore, it really isnt. Everyone has to fight for equality. Im not black. But Im not white either. (Im a true mutt. My dads mexican, black, indian and white. My mom is greek and german. I only appear to be very white because I was born at 6 months and my skin pigment didnt finish developing.) I hate when people think people are racist just because the role in the directors movie was white. Do you know why the lead was white? because thats the writer wrote the person as white. Not because that person was racist, but because thats just how the story goes or who had the best audition... No one is forced to fill any stereotypical role, they do it of their on accord.

You can call me many things, but I'm not a racist. Almost all mainstream movies have white leads, it's very disproportionate to the actual population. It's almost like society has a preference to see white people on TV and movies. I'm not saying that every movie should feature token people of color, but it would be a nice change.

Yeah some movies have white leads, because its a WHITE character, because thats just who got the role! Its not like a black person came in and auditioned and they were like OH NOOOOO! BLACKIE!
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but it comes off as racist. Are you denying the fact that whites feature prominently on TV?

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
hoeses
giggleboxforevabby
Im just adding this cause I saw it mentioned...

Why should we dedicate more than two channels to a race? White people dont have one, Mexicans dont, chinese dont...etc.

Honestly there are no african americans anymore.

Im an extreamly neutral person. I hate racist people. Im a pansexual mutt. xD

Yes they do hun. There are a lot of them actually. I see them all the time. 'specailly the spanish channels. xD
Yes there are. I live around them. Just saying. But I agree with what I didn't bold in your statement.

Ok well, I dont really watch alot of channels dedicated to a certain race, so I guess I wouldnt really know, but what Im saying it the person who made this topic says its all dedicated to white people, Ive never seen one. We need one. Poor whiteys. xD

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
tadpolily
Izzy Van Helsing

Because in countries like South Africa, white people are treated almost as badly as the blacks were in America in the sixties. Raped, killed, beaten, robbed, etc. People there- wouldn't hurt for them to have a white history month equivalent, and a fight for equality, rights, etc.

Some how I don't believe this is true. Given colonization and apartheid and all

If it weren't true, we wouldn't have had an entire class dedicated to white adversity in South African literature at my University.
And it's a small university.

Yes, they were douchebags when they first came into South Africa, and some still are. But there are black people there who remember this, and retaliate against the white people, by way of rape, theft, assault, etc.

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
giggleboxforevabby
hoeses
giggleboxforevabby

Why should we dedicate more than two channels to a race? White people dont have one, Mexicans dont, chinese dont...etc.

Yes they do hun. There are a lot of them actually. I see them all the time. 'specailly the spanish channels. xD
Yes there are. I live around them. Just saying. But I agree with what I didn't bold in your statement.

Ok well, I dont really watch alot of channels dedicated to a certain race, so I guess I wouldnt really know, but what Im saying it the person who made this topic says its all dedicated to white people, Ive never seen one. We need one. Poor whiteys. xD
You act like you're all multiracial and therefore exempt of racism, but you could pass as white and so I consider you to be white. Well, of course tv channels aren't marketed to be white but they sure as hell are. It's not like there's gonna be a channel that explicitly says 'this is The White Channel'. Why won't you just believe me and turn on your tv to see all the white shows? rolleyes It has really been like that in the past. Black people were rare back then and the few that were on tv, had to fulfill a stereotypical role, like 'the mammy' or 'the coon'.

Dangerous Genius

I'd just like to disagree with the statement of white people being a majority (since other countries are being mentioned too.)

Over 50% of the world's population is asian.
Most asians aren't white.

And just as a side note (that I know is going to get some controversy) but in reality, the vast majority of black people would not even live in America (or even Western Europe) if it wasn't for slavery. White people weren't even entirely the reason for slavery, which is always said. Black, African rulers sold their people as slaves, so if anything, slavery should be ultimately blamed on their own race. When it comes down to it, would you rather live in America being treated the way you are (which is apparently more poorly than everyone else), or live in a low-income, third world country, no freedom, where the rulers commit genocide country in Africa?

Dangerous Genius

Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby
hoeses
giggleboxforevabby

You act like you're all multiracial and therefore exempt of racism, but you could pass as white and so I consider you to be white. Well, of course tv channels aren't marketed to be white but they sure as hell are. It's not like there's gonna be a channel that explicitly says 'this is The White Channel'. Why won't you just believe me and turn on your tv to see all the white shows? rolleyes It has really been like that in the past. Black people were rare back then and the few that were on tv, had to fulfill a stereotypical role, like 'the mammy' or 'the coon'.

"You could pass as white and so I consider you to be white"

Is that not just as, if not much more, racist/stereotypical as "white people" are?
That entirely ignorant statement right there completely ruined any chance of credit or validity to any argument you're trying to make.

PS: Flip through all of the sports channels and see how many white people are playing the sports and getting all of that money for playing those mainstream sports, since we're talking about mainstream television.

Not very many are white.

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
Clouxx
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby
hoeses
giggleboxforevabby

Is that not just as, if not much more, racist/stereotypical as "white people" are?
That entirely ignorant statement right there completely ruined any chance of credit or validity to any argument you're trying to make.

PS: Flip through all of the sports channels and see how many white people are playing the sports and getting all of that money for playing those mainstream sports, since we're talking about mainstream television.

Not very many are white.
'Passing' refers to a key concept in racial segregation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(racial_identity) There are a considerable amount of white people in sports. But with sports like running, almost everyone is black because they have a genetic advantage.

Dangerous Genius

Bashelia Peppita
Clouxx
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby
hoeses
giggleboxforevabby

Not very many are white.
'Passing' refers to a key concept in racial segregation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(racial_identity) There are a considerable amount of white people in sports. But with sports like running, almost everyone is black because they have a genetic advantage.

I don't use wikipedia as a reference.
And No, in sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc.
If you're saying a lot of white people in those, there are still a lot of successful, high-rated, mainstream black shows still on television.
Ex: Fresh Prince, Tyler Perry's house of Payne, Everybody hates Chris, Family Matters, Cosby Show.

Some of the biggest actors in movies are black. Ex: Morgan Freeman, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes, etc.

Most listened to, mainstream music. Ex: Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Rihanna, Diana Ross, etc.

Point is, as far as media, I disagree that black people are discriminated against that harshly at all.

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
Clouxx
Bashelia Peppita
Clouxx
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby

Not very many are white.

If you're saying a lot of white people in those, there are still a lot of successful, high-rated, mainstream black shows still on television.
Ex: Fresh Prince, Tyler Perry's house of Payne, Everybody hates Chris, Family Matters, Cosby Show.

Some of the biggest actors in movies are black. Ex: Morgan Freeman, Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes, etc.

Most listened to, mainstream music. Ex: Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Rihanna, Diana Ross, etc.

Point is, as far as media, I disagree that black people are discriminated against that harshly at all.
This issue is not just about black people. the OP, I said that this has begun to change for blacks, but not for other races. Can you name as many mainstream Asian, Hispanic and Arab tv shows, actors and artists?

Dangerous Genius

Bashelia Peppita
Clouxx
Bashelia Peppita
Clouxx
Bashelia Peppita
giggleboxforevabby

Not very many are white.

This issue is not just about black people. the OP, I said that this has begun to change for blacks, but not for other races. Can you name as many mainstream Asian, Hispanic and Arab tv shows, actors and artists?

First off, go to Asia or the Middle East and see how many American(or all WHITE) Shows there are. It's not discrimination against white people, it's the area that they are in and the type of media that is being broadcasted (not as diverse as America's).

Asian: Any anime for the most part, there's a kid's show that actually teaches kids chinese that's similar to Dora the Explorer (and the Go Diego Go counterpart) that teaches kids spanish.
Actors: Jackie Chan, Ken Watanabe, Ken Jeong, John Cho
There are plenty of asian actors in movies. The whole black-oriented show/movie idea is really only an idea carried out BY blacks. White people don't really have an many entire, purposefully white oriented only shows.
Asians, if anything, are greatly appreciated in America. They might have stereotypes, but it is usually because they are intelligent. Same with Indians.

And as far as hispanic, there are probably just as many as black people in the media.
Actors/artists: George Lopez, Jennifer lopez, antonio banderas, etc.
Shows: Hispanic actresses are everywhere. Look at any CSI show. There's a hispanic actor or actress in the majority of shows.

Even including hispanic in your argument is a joke to me, because it is very much a part of american culture. The only reason they are being "discriminated" against is because there are hispanics coming into the US illegally, and of course getting paid less than others. If he was actually legal, then it is the law that he'd be paid as much as everyone else. There are mexican businesses and restaurants everywhere as well. If anything, most people are glad to have hispanics and hispanic culture in America, because it is such a huge part. Kids are being taught spanish in kindergarden now along side of better english.
Izzy Van Helsing
tadpolily
Izzy Van Helsing

Some how I don't believe this is true. Given colonization and apartheid and all

If it weren't true, we wouldn't have had an entire class dedicated to white adversity in South African literature at my University.
And it's a small university.

Yes, they were douchebags when they first came into South Africa, and some still are. But there are black people there who remember this, and retaliate against the white people, by way of rape, theft, assault, etc.

Just an irrelevant tip. Make sure you don't generalize. Generalizing makes people sound a bit racist.
And yes there is affirmative action in South Africa. By law the people there have to hire a certain number of black people proportionate to the population which is 80%. It is an attempt to right the wrongs of the past and bring much of the native african population out of poverty due to colonization and other immoral laws. It's understandable that many people would still have hateful feelings given that the apartheid only ended recently in the 90s. While it might not be fair, whites in South Africa are not treated as nearly or anywhere close to as badly as they were to blacks in the sixties and it is a little offensive that you would think of making that comparison.
Things aren't nearly as bad as you make them out to be.
And if there was to be a white history month what would they celebrate? Colonizing Africa and recognizing racism they imposed on the natives there? South Africa has been 'free' of oppression for 20 years.

Wheezing Egg

I couldn't agree more. Whoever said there needs to be one is just being ignorant and will be forever ignored until they educate themselves on "white privilege."
Clouxx

Fresh Prince is finished.
Everybody hates Chris is fnished.
Family Matters is finished.
The Cosby Show is finished.

The only relevant thing you said in your statement will be House of Pain as (unfortunately) a successful high rated show.

But it's not mainstream.

Take for example the Cosby Show were the viewership had about an equal to both "african american households" and "white america household". Networks on where the shows are air almost plays and important role on what makes it mainstream.

Tyler Perry's work is known in most America however he is supported more than half by black Americans. Those are his consumers and his audience in his past works.

But if I were to ask you name 10 scripted shows where a Black American is the "HEAD" lead, can you? With including only One of Tyler's Perry work.
But can you name 10 scripted shows where the lead is white american? (too easyyy)

And not just Black American use any minority group
Asian for example can you name 10 american shows where an asian is a head lead?

Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Wesley Snipes. -nods-

Only two of those are A listers. There are MANY black actors, but how many are A listers?

A listers qualify as someone who as been a lead in a huge movie production and is a average household name--they are a BRAND. Their name alone brings attention and MONEY.

If for example Nia Long is a star in a movie and Brad Pitt is a star in movie how many more people will recognize Nia Long's name over Brad Pitt?

African Americans don't have a lot of A list Actors.
For every 1 A list *identify* Black American you can name 5 white american.

"Most listened to, mainstream music. Ex: Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Rihanna, Diana Ross, etc.

Point is, as far as media, I disagree that black people are discriminated against that harshly at all."

Music Genre is correct. African Americans dominates the major pop culture music industry.

BUT in return we get the worse backlash for doing the same thing White americans will do.
Unless the White American offend some religious group most of the look is deem as edgy and creative where there are controversies surrounding Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and even Beyonce.
But if you only pay attention to the "music" and "sales" you wouldnt know much of what I'm talking about concerning this.

The media is very harsh on Black Americans and People of color.

Have you seen the national coverage on the Casey Anothey Story? Even if you havent you heard. A white little girl was reported missing emo And the media coverage was heavy it was even worse when the trials came about.

But have you heard any coverage on Daffine Stephane Cabrera-Demnieta, Patrick Alford, Tagena Griffith or Kiara Dharmesh that's a mix of black, hispanic and asian emo All under 5 years of reported missing.

The news can not report EVERY child missing, but why is it only nation eye focus when the poor victim is white?

It's the same media that as started a misused of words stating its Black Americans who are unmarriable and least attractive. It's the media that is focus heavily on the attention of our hair of our so called "lacked" and who can forget the N word?

emo I dont see any other nationalities that looked at under such HEAVY microscope so negatively.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff