Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bashelia Peppita

Oh quit you whining there are entire staions related to black actors and actresses, for two, Have you even seen the buzz around The Help, for that matter even seen the movie The Help.

...The Help? Really? We, as a race in America, should be so happy that yet another book riddled with racist remarks, oppression to blacks, and white being snobby? :l Get the hell out of here with your angry self.
Quote:

For another thing, you saw not to mention how Dr. Dre, Usher, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Rihanna, 50 Cent, Beyonce, and Mariah Carey are almost alway on the Top 40 charts.

You're listing those in the entertainment industry because blacks are only good at making everyone happy? I don't see why you list all of that.
Quote:

As for T.V. BET and a pubilc brodcaster in this area Bounce are both related to black people.

OH MANG! Two out of 700+ channels! Tell you what, I'll even slap in those movie channels dedicated to having more than three positive black characters in there. WHOA! We now have five out of seven-hundred plus channels.
Ya-freaking-hoo.

Quote:
On a final note a BLACK man had the right to vote before a WHITE woman, so get off your high horse cause you ain't a king, infact in the sceam of things you're less than a pawn of the presidents chess board. Who oh yeah IS A BLACK MAN !!!!!!!!

Oh lawd, you really got 'us' there! I mean, we never, ever knew!
While we're at it, let's just state more obvious things! A white man was able to vote, hold property, marry, and go to school before all blacks in America. The black woman wasn't able to vote until after the black man could.
By the way, I honestly do hope you aren't trying to say that all blacks are less than a pawn of the president's chess board. That might get your a** kicked if you were brave enough to say it in real life. Oh, and, by the by, the president is mixed, not black. His mother was white, his father was African.
You seem real stupid mad, bro. Real retarded mad.

@ Miss Izzy:
Thank you for pointing that last part out. In truth, I'd really rather have it so I can learn about my heritage throughout my whole schooling career instead of just a week--that's the longest it was recognized in my schools.

Witty Shapeshifter

14,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Threadmaster 200
CrimsonSuns
reokoe

We don't need any of them. Why can't we just be proud of ourselves?
Why do we need publicity to all of a sudden be proud of our heritage? : /
I don't see a "Norwegian Pride Month" or "Scottish Pride Month".
So apparently being Scotch-Norwegian heralds no reason for acclaim or pride.

But being Black, or Gay, (neither of which is wrong, don't skew my words) warrants tremendous publicity and remark.

Yeah.
Seems legit. : /

In general, white people are treated better and are represented more as a whole. Maybe there isn't a specific month deemed "white history month" but every damn month is about white people. Black History month is a joke. The extent of my learning about "black history" stopped in elementary. Throughout high school most people are only taught about white history. Barely scraping the top of black history. Even in my "world" history classes I was taught mainly just European History.

And no, we can't "just be proud of ourselves." Racism exists and so does oppression. Black History month is a lame attempt at giving black people some representation. I wish there was a better focus on black history month being about black history rather than the question of "Why isn't there a white history month?"

This still doesn't convince me at all why we need "INSERTRACEHERE" History Month(s).
I think it's completely unnecessary.
There shouldn't have to be a designated time to celebrate one's heritage.

And as far as public schooling goes, I learned equal shares about both White and Black contributions to history. Tuskeege Airmen, Rosa Parks, MLK and MLK Jr, etc. It's all there in my brain. Yes, they were AMAZING contributions.

But I still think that "Such and such History Month" is rediculous, so is the argument for a White History month.
I don't need someone to say, "Oh, it's March! Here! Now's your time to be white and enjoy the hell out of it!" so why should anyone else of any other race? : /

And as far as racism goes, that's a double edged sword, there. I'm white, and I've had people berate, attack, etc against me. Here's the trick though.
I don't let it bother me. I was born white, and I'll die white. Doesn't bother me a bit.

It's the same argument as letting someone make fun of you for having curly hair/ red hair, big/little breasts, being bigger than the girl next to you, etc.

It only works if you let it get to you. Do you really need a month where you and all the other people who let it get to them gather together and all of sudden your wondertwin powers activate and you're all suddenly immune to cruel comments?

Romantic Cat

13,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I think you mean white MALE history month.

I would bet most people in American could name at least 3 african american activists , while they can probably only name one woman activist.

However one has to admit that because white males had power, they held more powerful positions therefore being big characters in history.

However whenever civil rights was studying (at least my schools) when it should have been more fairly divided among the nonpowerful it is not and African Americans are the focus.

Celestial Dreamer

61,850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
reokoe
CrimsonSuns
reokoe

But being Black, or Gay, (neither of which is wrong, don't skew my words) warrants tremendous publicity and remark.

Yeah.

In general, white people are treated better and are represented more as a whole. Maybe there isn't a specific month deemed "white history month" but every damn month is about white people. Black History month is a joke. The extent of my learning about "black history" stopped in elementary. Throughout high school most people are only taught about white history. Barely scraping the top of black history. Even in my "world" history classes I was taught mainly just European History.

And no, we can't "just be proud of ourselves." Racism exists and so does oppression. Black History month is a lame attempt at giving black people some representation. I wish there was a better focus on black history month being about black history rather than the question of "Why isn't there a white history month?"

This still doesn't convince me at all why we need "INSERTRACEHERE" History Month(s).
I think it's completely unnecessary.
There shouldn't have to be a designated time to celebrate one's heritage.

And as far as public schooling goes, I learned equal shares about both White and Black contributions to history. Tuskeege Airmen, Rosa Parks, MLK and MLK Jr, etc. It's all there in my brain. Yes, they were AMAZING contributions.

But I still think that "Such and such History Month" is rediculous, so is the argument for a White History month.
I don't need someone to say, "Oh, it's March! Here! Now's your time to be white and enjoy the hell out of it!" so why should anyone else of any other race? : /

And as far as racism goes, that's a double edged sword, there. I'm white, and I've had people berate, attack, etc against me. Here's the trick though.
I don't let it bother me. I was born white, and I'll die white. Doesn't bother me a bit.

It's the same argument as letting someone make fun of you for having curly hair/ red hair, big/little breasts, being bigger than the girl next to you, etc.

It only works if you let it get to you. Do you really need a month where you and all the other people who let it get to them gather together and all of sudden your wondertwin powers activate and you're all suddenly immune to cruel comments?

It's an excellent thing that your history education was so balanced, however it isn't that balanced in many parts of the country, and the various minority history months attempt to address that. They'll obsolete themselves if the histories of minority groups are integrated more fully into curricula on a widespread scale.
I also think BHM should focus less on pride aspects, which I think many times is what people take the most issue with, and more so on the actual history. And not just the old cliche history about the slave trade trade and MLK/Rosa Parks; it's not unimportant, but it sure isn't the sum total of black history either.
Wondertwin powers activate... I think that if anything, BHM tends to remind me that I'm some sort of "other" rather than encouraging me at all. Especially if the teacher tries to do something cute like call on the black students and ask them what their experiences have been. None of the other kids get asked stuff like that just because it's a certain time of year. Ugh, can't even remember what class that was right now, but I didn't like it one bit.
I'm in World History 2 and my teacher said we're going to focus a lot on Western Europe.

Quotable Prophet

DJ Twissta
Shouldn't we just celebrate the accomplishments we made together, as opposed to singling out individual ethnicities via months? Black history month sort of reminds me of how people treat Valentines day. Many people think they should only pay special attention to their girl friend/heritage on this day/month, and afterwards stop caring as much. Shouldn't we put more effort into integrating all of those accomplishments through out the year as opposed to only a month?

THANK YOU SIR.
Amen brother!
wat would be the glory of these such things if there was ones for others? question

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Bashelia Peppita
Just as less as we need a Straight Pride Parade. Or a National Right Handed People Day. It just doesn't make any sense. A majority doesn't need to celebrate anything and over the course of history, a celebration like this would be very politically incorrect. White people don't have to fight for equality. There's an overrepresentation of white people in the media. White people are portrayed as diverse in tv shows and movies and a movie with a white lead is really easy to find. The other ethnicities, however, don't have that luxury. Whenever someone non-white apprears on TV, they immediately are portrayed in a stereotypical role. For black people, this has begun to change, but the other races, we still are forced to fill our stereotypical roles.

White people who don't believe me: turn on your tv, skim through the channels and count the white people. Believe me now?

That is racist. Why should we have a black history month then? Being black isnt a minority anymore, it really isnt. Everyone has to fight for equality. Im not black. But Im not white either. (Im a true mutt. My dads mexican, black, indian and white. My mom is greek and german. I only appear to be very white because I was born at 6 months and my skin pigment didnt finish developing.) I hate when people think people are racist just because the role in the directors movie was white. Do you know why the lead was white? because thats the writer wrote the person as white. Not because that person was racist, but because thats just how the story goes or who had the best audition... No one is forced to fill any stereotypical role, they do it of their on accord.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
Im just adding this cause I saw it mentioned...

Why should we dedicate more than two channels to a race? White people dont have one, Mexicans dont, chinese dont...etc.

Honestly there are no african americans anymore.

Im an extreamly neutral person. I hate racist people. Im a pansexual mutt. xD

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
CrimsonSuns
reokoe

Yeah.

What month is about white people? Most of history is about white people because thats just how it is. There just wasnt alot of black people or WHITE WOMEN who did something important enough to make it into any history books.

Anxious Bloodsucker

9,900 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Friendly 100
R e d P a n d a B a ii r
Bashelia Peppita

Oh quit you whining there are entire staions related to black actors and actresses, for two, Have you even seen the buzz around The Help, for that matter even seen the movie The Help.

...The Help? Really? We, as a race in America, should be so happy that yet another book riddled with racist remarks, oppression to blacks, and white being snobby? :l Get the hell out of here with your angry self.
Quote:

For another thing, you saw not to mention how Dr. Dre, Usher, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Rihanna, 50 Cent, Beyonce, and Mariah Carey are almost alway on the Top 40 charts.

You're listing those in the entertainment industry because blacks are only good at making everyone happy? I don't see why you list all of that.
Quote:

As for T.V. BET and a pubilc brodcaster in this area Bounce are both related to black people.

OH MANG! Two out of 700+ channels! Tell you what, I'll even slap in those movie channels dedicated to having more than three positive black characters in there. WHOA! We now have five out of seven-hundred plus channels.
Ya-freaking-hoo.

Quote:
On a final note a BLACK man had the right to vote before a WHITE woman, so get off your high horse cause you ain't a king, infact in the sceam of things you're less than a pawn of the presidents chess board. Who oh yeah IS A BLACK MAN !!!!!!!!

Oh lawd, you really got 'us' there! I mean, we never, ever knew!
While we're at it, let's just state more obvious things! A white man was able to vote, hold property, marry, and go to school before all blacks in America. The black woman wasn't able to vote until after the black man could.
By the way, I honestly do hope you aren't trying to say that all blacks are less than a pawn of the president's chess board. That might get your a** kicked if you were brave enough to say it in real life. Oh, and, by the by, the president is mixed, not black. His mother was white, his father was African.
You seem real stupid mad, bro. Real retarded mad.

@ Miss Izzy:
Thank you for pointing that last part out. In truth, I'd really rather have it so I can learn about my heritage throughout my whole schooling career instead of just a week--that's the longest it was recognized in my schools.

This is incorrect. His father is in fact Arabic Kenyan, not black Kenyan. Almost his entire family line on his father's side consists of Arabic males (which is where he receives his y chromosome from). The one black Kenyan ancestor in his family line is one generation removed. The chance of him being the male who passed on his y chromosome is too low to allow Barack Obama yo consider himself black as he would have had to "compete" with 7 other males. Therefore, Barack Obama is in fact Arabic American.

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
giggleboxforevabby

That is racist. Why should we have a black history month then? Being black isnt a minority anymore, it really isnt. Everyone has to fight for equality. Im not black. But Im not white either. (Im a true mutt. My dads mexican, black, indian and white. My mom is greek and german. I only appear to be very white because I was born at 6 months and my skin pigment didnt finish developing.) I hate when people think people are racist just because the role in the directors movie was white. Do you know why the lead was white? because thats the writer wrote the person as white. Not because that person was racist, but because thats just how the story goes or who had the best audition... No one is forced to fill any stereotypical role, they do it of their on accord.

You can call me many things, but I'm not a racist. Almost all mainstream movies have white leads, it's very disproportionate to the actual population. It's almost like society has a preference to see white people on TV and movies. I'm not saying that every movie should feature token people of color, but it would be a nice change.

Invisible Shapeshifter

9,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
I find this extremely racist. I hate stereotypes and all, but when it say that "ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL" then it means all people are created equal. "let us not be judged by the color of our skin, but of the content of our character."(sorry if its not prefectly correct. going for memory here) So I think we should get rid of black history month, asain history month, native american cutler day, and have an on going celebration of our heritage.

Shameless Man-Lover

8,200 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
Peters Guardian

It has begun to change, I said that already. But still, there's still a whole lot of white dominance in the media.
giggleboxforevabby
Im just adding this cause I saw it mentioned...

Why should we dedicate more than two channels to a race? White people dont have one, Mexicans dont, chinese dont...etc.

Honestly there are no african americans anymore.

Im an extreamly neutral person. I hate racist people. Im a pansexual mutt. xD

Yes they do hun. There are a lot of them actually. I see them all the time. 'specailly the spanish channels. xD
Yes there are. I live around them. Just saying. But I agree with what I didn't bold in your statement.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff