Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Mortok
Izzy Van Helsing
Can we make it clear that you refer to white people in countries like America?

Because in countries like South Africa, white people are treated almost as badly as the blacks were in America in the sixties. Raped, killed, beaten, robbed, etc. People there- wouldn't hurt for them to have a white history month equivalent, and a fight for equality, rights, etc.

I'm not saying that South Africa isn't a violent place, or trying to justify the atrocities committed by any individuals there.

But... you do know about Apartheid, right? White people aren't exactly under-represented there, and black people in South Africa are the victms of violent crime just as often.

Apartheid doesn't mean s**t for the white people in more rural communities.

Tipsy Exhibitionist

Izzy Van Helsing
Mortok
Izzy Van Helsing

Because in countries like South Africa, white people are treated almost as badly as the blacks were in America in the sixties. Raped, killed, beaten, robbed, etc. People there- wouldn't hurt for them to have a white history month equivalent, and a fight for equality, rights, etc.

I'm not saying that South Africa isn't a violent place, or trying to justify the atrocities committed by any individuals there.

But... you do know about Apartheid, right? White people aren't exactly under-represented there, and black people in South Africa are the victms of violent crime just as often.

Well it doesn't mean anything for anybody, since it's been abolished. But being in a rural location doesn't cancel out the extra rights and privileges you get for being white.

And as I said, the black people in South Africa, even in the rural areas, are also victims of those crimes that you mentioned. Unless you can prove that white people in South Africa suffer an inordinate amount in comparison, and that race is the primary motivator?

Alien Star

20,425 Points
  • Nova Novice 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
I always agreed to what this thread said because I've heard white people talk about wanting a White History Month, but they don't need it. That would just make Black History Month less important.

Greedy Phantom

7,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Survivor 150
EVERYBODY LOVES DONUTS YOU KNOW ITS TRUE AND SO DO YOU

Beloved Loiterer

8,425 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Millionaire 200
3nodding i fell you my town doent have black history month ima convince them to do it

Witty Shapeshifter

14,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Threadmaster 200

We don't need any of them. Why can't we just be proud of ourselves?
Why do we need publicity to all of a sudden be proud of our heritage? : /
I don't see a "Norwegian Pride Month" or "Scottish Pride Month".
So apparently being Scotch-Norwegian heralds no reason for acclaim or pride.

But being Black, or Gay, (neither of which is wrong, don't skew my words) warrants tremendous publicity and remark.

Yeah.
Seems legit. : /

Aged Explorer

6,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
All I gotta say:

Where the ******** is Native American history month?

They were the first and true Americans.

emotion_dealwithit

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Mortok
Izzy Van Helsing
Mortok
Izzy Van Helsing

Well it doesn't mean anything for anybody, since it's been abolished. But being in a rural location doesn't cancel out the extra rights and privileges you get for being white.

And as I said, the black people in South Africa, even in the rural areas, are also victims of those crimes that you mentioned. Unless you can prove that white people in South Africa suffer an inordinate amount in comparison, and that race is the primary motivator?

Yes, legally they had more rights than black people. Legally, black people also weren't allowed to be lynched in Texas in the 60's. Doesn't mean people didn't get away with it.

Fairness of the law in rural areas has always left a lot to be desired.

And sorry, I didn't happen to take statistics of white people's suffering versus white people's sufferings in South Africa during Apartheid and present day. Forgot my clipboard on the plane. But if it's enough of a problem to be the subject of literature (J.M. Coetzee's works spring to mind immediately, among others), it's clearly noticeably different in those areas.

I'm not saying it's violence to the scale of the early days of integration in America and such, but it's still really bad. People act like white people are holier than thou, and own everything in the world, but they are still the victims of hate crimes in many places, just like any other race out there.

:/
If you'd use Google, you can easily find Native American Heritage Month.
P.S: It's in November, DJ.
In all honesty, I'm sure you can find many heritage months by just using Google. If it was truly that important and you don't know when it starts, then just Google it, guys. Stop whining about it all, I'm sure everyone can find something that fits them.

By the way, Izzy, he wasn't talking about South Africa. He was clearly talking about the US. Nowhere else in the world, as of to my knowledge, is February dubbed Black History Month.

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
R e d P a n d a B a ii r

In all honesty, I'm sure you can find many heritage months by just using Google. If it was truly that important and you don't know when it starts, then just Google it, guys. Stop whining about it all, I'm sure everyone can find something that fits them.

By the way, Izzy, he wasn't talking about South Africa. He was clearly talking about the US. Nowhere else in the world, as of to my knowledge, is February dubbed Black History Month.

Black History month exists in Canada, too, and people celebrate it themselves in other parts of the world. I have friends in Scotland, New Zealand, Brazil, who celebrate Black History Month, but it's not like they'd have Black History month sales in stores where they live, or anything. It's just an isolated thing.

Point is, this thread is titled 'We don't need a white history month', and I merely began by saying that, in some parts of the world, yeah, we could use one.
Izzy Van Helsing
R e d P a n d a B a ii r

Black History month exists in Canada, too, and people celebrate it themselves in other parts of the world. I have friends in Scotland, New Zealand, Brazil, who celebrate Black History Month, but it's not like they'd have Black History month sales in stores where they live, or anything. It's just an isolated thing.

Point is, this thread is titled 'We don't need a white history month', and I merely began by saying that, in some parts of the world, yeah, we could use one.

Are you living in South Africa, Miss Izzy? Is that why you're saying this?

The point you were trying to make doesn't seem all that appropriate in this thread. He was talking about the US only, and you're talking about in other places. That aren't anywhere near the U.S. Please, don't think of it as being rude to you. It's just annoying when others go off topic.
Maybe, instead of doing this here, you could make a separate thread, in a separate forum, about this subject. I don't know about you, but I would think saying that would pretty much transfer as, "Who gives a flying ******** about blacks? White people need attention.". In my opinion, that would be way more disrespectful seeing as this is 'their' month.
reokoe

We don't need any of them. Why can't we just be proud of ourselves?
Why do we need publicity to all of a sudden be proud of our heritage? : /
I don't see a "Norwegian Pride Month" or "Scottish Pride Month".
So apparently being Scotch-Norwegian heralds no reason for acclaim or pride.

But being Black, or Gay, (neither of which is wrong, don't skew my words) warrants tremendous publicity and remark.

Yeah.
Seems legit. : /

In general, white people are treated better and are represented more as a whole. Maybe there isn't a specific month deemed "white history month" but every damn month is about white people. Black History month is a joke. The extent of my learning about "black history" stopped in elementary. Throughout high school most people are only taught about white history. Barely scraping the top of black history. Even in my "world" history classes I was taught mainly just European History.

And no, we can't "just be proud of ourselves." Racism exists and so does oppression. Black History month is a lame attempt at giving black people some representation. I wish there was a better focus on black history month being about black history rather than the question of "Why isn't there a white history month?"

Liberal Nerd

8,800 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Bashelia Peppita

Oh quit you whining there are entire staions related to black actors and actresses, for two, Have you even seen the buzz around The Help, for that matter even seen the movie The Help.

For another thing, you saw not to mention how Dr. Dre, Usher, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Rihanna, 50 Cent, Beyonce, and Mariah Carey are almost alway on the Top 40 charts.

As for T.V. BET and a pubilc brodcaster in this area Bounce are both related to black people.

On a final note a BLACK man had the right to vote before a WHITE woman, so get off your high horse cause you ain't a king, infact in the sceam of things you're less than a pawn of the presidents chess board. Who oh yeah IS A BLACK MAN !!!!!!!!

Vermillion Phantom

11,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Partygoer 500

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
R e d P a n d a B a ii r
Izzy Van Helsing
R e d P a n d a B a ii r

Are you living in South Africa, Miss Izzy? Is that why you're saying this?

The point you were trying to make doesn't seem all that appropriate in this thread. He was talking about the US only, and you're talking about in other places. That aren't anywhere near the U.S. Please, don't think of it as being rude to you. It's just annoying when others go off topic.
Maybe, instead of doing this here, you could make a separate thread, in a separate forum, about this subject. I don't know about you, but I would think saying that would pretty much transfer as, "Who gives a flying ******** about blacks? White people need attention.". In my opinion, that would be way more disrespectful seeing as this is 'their' month.

I don't see how it's irrelevant at all. This thread is called 'We don't need a white history month'. I said, yes, in some parts of the world, they should have one. 100% relevant to the topic.

I'm not saying we don't need black history month, or that it should be done away with or anything like that. I'm saying having a month for every race is only fair.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff