Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Lunatic

If someone says " I love black people" ....does that make them racist?

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100

no, i don't think so.
they just do.
black isn't a race, so no harm done.
I wouldn't see how. They're not saying why, just that they love them. Plus, like Toasty kind of said, the term "black" can cover a variety of races.

Feral Lunatic

toasty nipples

no, i don't think so.
they just do.
thank you! someone said I sounded racist because i said I love black people emotion_donotwant

6,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Fueled by Cake
toasty nipples

no, i don't think so.
they just do.
thank you! someone said I sounded racist because i said I love black people emotion_donotwant

well you can tell that person to go poke themselves in the no-no square with a 1st place trophy.

emotion_donotwant

3,750 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Signature Look 250
No it doesnt smile it just means ur a kind and respectful person to them
ภєภtคXXღXXXX

No it doesn't

♆XXXXXXXXXXXX♆
Security Personnel

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Well, the statement on it's own isn't racist.

But, in general, when someone says "I love (group)!" it has a strong potential to come across as patronizing or over-compensating. So it's not really a fabu-tastic complimentary thing to say, either. Like how when a girl says "Oooh, I wish I had a gay friend, then we'd go shopping!" she's ignoring that not all gay guys are the same and being dismissive of who gay people are as people (with real problems and desires) outside of entertainment for her.

I'd think about what you're trying to express and consider if there are ways to say it that don't melt all black people down to being X. Not just to avoid being offensive- though it's good for that, too, and it sounds like you'd like to not be offensive- but because being more specific just makes for better & more interesting conversation.

Feral Lunatic

X sansmerci

But, in general, when someone says "I love (group)!" it has a strong potential to come across as patronizing or over-compensating. So it's not really a fabu-tastic complimentary thing to say, either. Like how when a girl says "Oooh, I wish I had a gay friend, then we'd go shopping!" she's ignoring that not all gay guys are the same and being dismissive of who gay people are as people (with real problems and desires) outside of entertainment for her.

I'd think about what you're trying to express and consider if there are ways to say it that don't melt all black people down to being X. Not just to avoid being offensive- though it's good for that, too, and it sounds like you'd like to not be offensive- but because being more specific just makes for better & more interesting conversation.
Well I was specific....I just didn't give full details about the situation on Gaia...but i understand completely where your coming from. thank you
X sansmerci

I agree. This girl in my school just loves "japanese people". She's very racist. She loves Japanese people but doesn't think African- Americans are a race..?

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Fueled by Cake
X sansmerci

Well I was specific....I just didn't give full details about the situation on Gaia...but i understand completely where your coming from. thank you

No problem; I'd rather be off the mark than type less and miss a chance to help someone not make some of the same mistakes I did. wink

Dangerous Explorer

6,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
But black is a race........ sweatdrop

Feral Lunatic

pinklizzy101
she means as far as a black person could be African, Indian, or just dark skinned....

Amorous Tipper

12,300 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Generous 100
  • Love Machine 150
"You're just a piece of meat and I am the butcher..."

That one sentence doesn't mean much. It depends on the context of the conversation...

"...I love you better. Love you forever."

Dangerous Explorer

6,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Fueled by Cake
pinklizzy101
she means as far as a black person could be African, Indian, or just dark skinned....

Oh... Ok. Makes more sense now it's not 2am. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces