Welcome to Gaia! ::

IIHackwork's Kouhai

Invisible Friend

That's pretty much what this is. .__.
It makes me sad that I came here expecting some dumb kid made a "Where's White History Month?" and, sure enough.... :/

But seriously, holy s**t...this forum is like if the LD and ED had a raptor child.
I came here expecting the same thing. It's sad. emo

Fluffy Bunny

8,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
But honestly you have to admit it's a bit ridiculous to have a "Black History Month"--it all falls under AMERICAN history anyway =/

Sex Symbol

15,525 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Conventioneer 300
Rangeri
But honestly you have to admit it's a bit ridiculous to have a "Black History Month"--it all falls under AMERICAN history anyway =/
Except the contributions of non-white Americans are marginalized in academic settings.

IIHackwork's Kouhai

Invisible Friend

Morbid Gnome
Rangeri
Except the contributions of non-white Americans are marginalized in academic settings.

This is so, so true. u__u

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
User Image
My shadow cast before me,
I walk inside your circle.

We don't NEED a Black History Month, or a French history month ect, we need to be more diverse with the topics taught in schools -_- so that American history gets fully covered, not just the white parts >/

Protect me, correct me.
You got your orders, soldier.

Generous Humorist

I don't know about you but I learn about civil rights EVERY year in history. That's why I'm sick and tired of hearing about it. At first I was like aww. That's horrible...but now it's just ******** annoying. I honestly don't learn anything in school anymore. It's just Native Americans (Pilgrims) , American Revolution, Civil War, Civil Rights, WWI, WWII.
I came here expecting the same thing. It's sad

Lavish Millionaire

10,675 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Tycoon 200
this black history month all ive been seeing and hearing are negative, hatefult, stupid comments (swear gaia put this up to be a** holes).

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

It's a cesspool, but mostly it's sad because these are all people who would be aghast if anyone called them racist vomiting up such novel ideas as "talking about black history is what makes people racist!" various riffs on reasons black people are just awful, awful, and don't deserve to be part of history anyhow, and "lol slavery was sooooo long ago, there's no racism now, get over it! big babies~"

It's enough to get a headache alone, and if you call them on it, even exceedingly gently, they act like you shot their puppy for not also holding their hand through "How to be a decent ******** human being 101" (or for doing so, because now they are insulted that you assume they're uninformed just because they're posting in a Black History Month forum about welfare queens or whatever.)

Chatty Shapeshifter

11,400 Points
  • Loiterer 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Beta Gaian 0
I was disappointed myself. Gaia is full of vicious people who think that just because we're past slavery and segregation, we shouldn't celebrate black history month anymore. There is a vast amount of black history and all people can recall is Martin Luther King Jr, Rosa Parks, and maybe Malcom X. The reason we still need to celebrate black history month is because we have one black president to celebrate. Just one. White people have 43. We want to embrace people of our color because unfortunately our media is not doing that for us, and our schools aren't either. History is the only place black people can find decent role models because our country doesn't seem to care about representing us in any sort of positive way.
People are all, "Oh white history month is every other month." Well do the same for black people. Why should they only have a month for their history?

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Iota Gamma
People are all, "Oh white history month is every other month." Well do the same for black people. Why should they only have a month for their history?

They shouldn't. However, take another look at the first half of your post; it's flip, but it's summarizing the reality that people of color have not only historically been subjected to vile stuff due to racism but their history (both achievements and struggles; their existence, basically) has been systematically diminished and outright cut from the recording & teaching of history.
Because of that (90% of the time the only history being taught is about white people) Black History Month exists. Not to increase separation, but to make up for it.

And a few decades of talking about Rosa Parks & George Washington Carver every February hasn't fixed that, so in the same breath that we acknowledge that it is a bandage or supplement to a broken system, we have to acknowledge that taking it away won't leave us with a history (the subject) that actually teaches history (the stuff that happened). :/
How come hispanics only get a day but blacks get a whole month? Didn't we have to deal with being called 'spics' and whatnot?
I think this is very educational and as for under all history we should have a set apart time because they fought for their history to even be proclaimed i mean they may have gotten rid of slavery but they were still suppressed in creativity and self-advancement.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff