Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Guildswoman

Believe it or not, I have personally never experienced or seen any racism. I live in Canada, so that might be making a difference. I would like to hear about your racist experiences, particularly if you live in Canada. I want to know if I'm just blind to it and would like to gain some perspectives. Also, how bad is it in the United States? What if you've traveled the world?

I can honestly believe full and well that you haven't experienced any racial issue, Mr. Rite. Canadians are probably the nicest bunch of people one could ever know. The meanest word I've heard from a grown man, in Canada, was 'darkie'. I mean, really, it's not nice, but it doesn't bug me. >>; I'm not dark skinned, but I'm not light-skinned either.. So it was sorta accurate? Idk, moving on..

The US is just really open, and super rude and insensitive, with racism. We even have towns down here that, if a black is caught there after dark, some will form a mob and run you out. They are called 'sun down towns' and they're perfectly legal as to my knowledge. Being threatened to be stoned because one is of a different race does not a happy black woman make.

Aged Gaian

I've experienced it a lot. I've been told that because of color of my skin I have nothing in life to look forward to other than having a bunch of "monkey" babies and being on welfare.
I've been called a "traitor" because my fiance and father of my daughter is white.
I've actually had a gun held to my head due to racism.
Racism sucks, and it's out there, but people being ignorant to it or not experiencing it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or even that the situation is any better.

When I'm angry, I'm instantly stereotyped as a "mad black woman", and I don't mean the actual meaning of the phrase, I'm talking about the stereotypical definition of it :/

I was even asked by a guy once "why do you have astronomy books on your bookshelf?" my answer was "because I've read them", and his response was pretty nasty. I won't go into specifics, but I stopped associating with that person immediately after that encounter.

Even on Gaia people use different colored skins than the "black" ones because of the blatant racism that comes with just using that skin tone, regardless of their ethnicity irl. :/

Beloved Guildswoman

This makes me feel that Black History Month is totally viable and should in fact exist. The fact that these still exist to this day tells me even now more then ever should racism be brought to light.

Shameless Hoarder

11,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Deathrite2
This makes me feel that Black History Month is totally viable and should in fact exist. The fact that these still exist to this day tells me even now more then ever should racism be brought to light.

ive always felt like it shouldnt just be a month though

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces