Welcome to Gaia! ::

Celestial Dreamer

61,850 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Epic Floofykins
Okay so I'm white and my fiance is black (very light, almost looks mixed but he's black) and well on day we plan on haveing children. My grandmother was a tid bit racist before she knew about my fiance and well one day she told me this:
"Your children are going to feel so out of place not knowing what race they are going to be, they're not going to know who they are."

In this case i'm lost, my children will learn there German heritage as well as their African American heritage, would I be doing the right thing? What if my grandmother is right and the child becomes confused...

Even if you were both the same race, if being that race were somehow critical to the kids indentity, there might be something wrong there xD
There are so many things involved with a person "knowing who they are" that race is a drop in the bucket by comparison. What hobbies will the kids get into? Who will their friends be? What will their personalities be? etc etc. I personally think learning both heritages would be less so confusing and more so bonus culture to take pride in.

And they'd probably know more about their heritage than me, I'm black and haven't the faintest idea of what heritages I have beyond "some sort of African" <.<
I'm mixed with four ethnicities. I'm Japanese, Caribbean , Native American, and African-American. Why would your child be confused if you were going to teach your child about the German heritage as well as your fiance's African- American heritage? Your children will be of a mixed race. Lots of people especially celebrities are mixed now a days.Well if your child is confused you can just sit them down and tell them that they're mixed with 1/2 white and 1/2 black.

Space Cottontail

19,525 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Knowledge is power they have a right to know their heritage.

6,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Invisibility 100
That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Honestly, I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but your grandmother is stupid. My parents says that kind of crap about me all the time, how "I'll be confused." As for your case, it'll be *your* children so she doesn't really have any right to say how they'll turn out. Also, you can raise your children the way you want. She shouldn't have any influence on your thoughts about having children. As long as you raise them to respect themselves, others and to follow what's good for them, they will be fine. I do what is best for me and if someone doesn't like it, then that's their problem. I like Korean music but hate rap, my parents say I'll be confused when I get in the "real world". I tell them exactly how confused I'm not and go on my merry way. And not knowing what race they're going to be? Well it's funny, there's this race called the *human* race that we're all part of. Skin color has nothing to do with how you are. You're influenced by your surroundings.

Basically, your grandmother is wrong. If she continues to say things like that, either politely ask her to stop or leave. Simple as that.

Husband

I laughed when I read the OP.

For starters, I can't believe your grandma would imply such a stupid, improbable event happening. I'm 1/3 African-American, 1/3 Caucasian, and 1/3 Chinese. Not once in my life have I ever questioned my place in the world based on my ethnicity. Unless your children are insecure to the point of confusion and that they blame their ethnicity for their self-consciousness, which is completely unlikely to happen, your grandma's idea can easily be rendered implausible.

Enjoy your marriage and anticipate your family's arrival without doubt. :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces