Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Gaian

11,150 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hellraiser 500
1tty bitty kitty
So would you consider the term "white" racist?

Depends on who called me white. Yes, I have light colored skin, but that doesn't mean I'm different from other people. I also don't have a history of slavery woven in with my ancestors.
I'm black and I hate the term African-American. First thing is, people call anyone black African-American, even if they're not from America, because people in America are so scared shitless of offending anyone. If anyone calls me African-American I'm just gonna assume they're overtly PC and most likely going to be very irritating to talk to.

On the flip side, black people being offended by being called black? Yeaahhh... another type of person I stay away from. Almost nothing more annoying than talking to overtly self-righteous entitled people of my own race. Political-correctness in general is annoying as all Hell, and is usually either offensive for entirely different reasons, or implies not-so-intelligent things about a person's personality.

Call me the N word before you call me African-American, at least then it means a person has an opinion beyond "I don't wanna offend anyone".

Shirtless Gaian

11,150 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hellraiser 500
Magnes V
I'm black and I hate the term African-American. First thing is, people call anyone black African-American, even if they're not from America, because people in America are so scared shitless of offending anyone. If anyone calls me African-American I'm just gonna assume they're overtly PC and most likely going to be very irritating to talk to.

On the flip side, black people being offended by being called black? Yeaahhh... another type of person I stay away from. Almost nothing more annoying than talking to overtly self-righteous entitled people of my own race. Political-correctness in general is annoying as all Hell, and is usually either offensive for entirely different reasons, or implies not-so-intelligent things about a person's personality.

Call me the N word before you call me African-American, at least then it means a person has an opinion beyond "I don't wanna offend anyone".

So it seems that no matter what I call someone with dark skin, there's a chance of offending them. Some get offended by African American, some get offended by black, some get offended by the "N" word. So it seems that caucasions can't get away with anything other then just not saying anything about skin color.

Thank you for your imput ^.^
NightMagic6
Magnes V

So it seems that no matter what I call someone with dark skin, there's a chance of offending them. Some get offended by African American, some get offended by black, some get offended by the "N" word. So it seems that caucasions can't get away with anything other then just not saying anything about skin color.

African-American doesn't so much as offend me as annoy the s**t out of me, because it's politically-correct garbage that gets mis-used anyway. I mean it's impossible to look at a black person and know if they're from America, or even from Africa, the term is inherently flawed with all races, really ({Race}-American).

At the end of the day you should call people what you feel comfortable with calling them. When you have a reason to call someone their race, you're most likely in a racial discussion anyway, so no one's gonna get offended by just saying "Black", and if they do then they're a douche. If they proceed to say "African-American is the correct term", then they're a PC douche. And do we really want to talk to PC douches?

Shirtless Gaian

11,150 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hellraiser 500
Magnes V
NightMagic6
Magnes V

African-American doesn't so much as offend me as annoy the s**t out of me, because it's politically-correct garbage that gets mis-used anyway. I mean it's impossible to look at a black person and know if they're from America, or even from Africa, the term is inherently flawed with all races, really ({Race}-American).

At the end of the day you should call people what you feel comfortable with calling them. When you have a reason to call someone their race, you're most likely in a racial discussion anyway, so no one's gonna get offended by just saying "Black", and if they do then they're a douche. If they proceed to say "African-American is the correct term", then they're a PC douche. And do we really want to talk to PC douches?

True. I hate the politically correct crap. There's a pond in my town that is called "Jew Pond" though it's not the true name, it's just what everyone calls it and people are trying to get it changed to be politically correct. Just because the official name won't be Jew Pond, doesn't mean that people will change what they're calling it to the new name. It's affecting my whole town with this politically correct crap.

Good point. If you know people and body language well enough, you can tell if they're offended, even if they're too polite to say it. People will "stiffen" or avoid eye contact. So there are ways to tell. I'm too nice of a person to purposefully offend someone, so everyone here is helping me any anyone willing to read this thread. Thank you!

Questionable Borg

NightMagic6
My family was talking about racism and we determined that since calling someone 'black' is racist, then that would mean that "Black" History Month is racist as well. This isn't meant to be against blacks, just so that no one reports me or this thread. cat_sweatdrop

Views? Questions? Comments?
Calling someone isn't racist. How did you come to the conculsion?

Questionable Borg

NightMagic6
Kuro Dollie
I don't find it to be racist. Not every black persons ancestor is from Africa so African American isn't always accurate in some peoples cases so being called black is fine. Its just like calling Caucasian people white.

I also don't understand the "African American" because, yes, not everyone has ancesters from Africa, so shouldn't they just be called "American"? No matter the color of your skin or who your ancestors are, you're still American. I'm not called a Scottish American because most of my ancestors are from Scotland. Do you see what I'm saying?
But not everyone in America has ancestors from America, and considering America's history as a whole, I doubt it.

Questionable Borg

Kuro Dollie
NightMagic6
Kuro Dollie
I don't find it to be racist. Not every black persons ancestor is from Africa so African American isn't always accurate in some peoples cases so being called black is fine. Its just like calling Caucasian people white.

I also don't understand the "African American" because, yes, not everyone has ancesters from Africa, so shouldn't they just be called "American"? No matter the color of your skin or who your ancestors are, you're still American. I'm not called a Scottish American because most of my ancestors are from Scotland. Do you see what I'm saying?

I agree. But it isn't racist calling people white or black. If u are an American citizen you are American smile
How do you come the conculsion that it's racist?

Questionable Borg

Intrinsic Delirium
NightMagic6
My family was talking about racism and we determined that since calling someone 'black' is racist, then that would mean that "Black" History Month is racist as well. This isn't meant to be against blacks, just so that no one reports me or this thread. cat_sweatdrop

Views? Questions? Comments?

It is racist.

Just like Affirmative Action programs.

Just like HBCUs.

Just like the NAACP.

Any organization dedicated to the support and uplifting of one race is racist. And ignorant.
Considering what black people have gone through (and other races as well) I don't think any of those organizations are racist.

Shirtless Gaian

11,150 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hellraiser 500
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Kuro Dollie

But not everyone in America has ancestors from America, and considering America's history as a whole, I doubt it.

But in other countries, (if they had the politically correct crap that we are,) they won't be called Indian-Egyptian, they'd just be called Egyptian. Just because your ancestors are from somewhere doesn't mean that you have to be called that. It's the past, keep it there for this. If you are a citizen of America, then you should just be called American. It doesn't have anything to do with your ancestors.

Questionable Borg

NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Kuro Dollie

But in other countries, (if they had the politically correct crap that we are,) they won't be called Indian-Egyptian, they'd just be called Egyptian. Just because your ancestors are from somewhere doesn't mean that you have to be called that. It's the past, keep it there for this. If you are a citizen of America, then you should just be called American. It doesn't have anything to do with your ancestors.
Okay, I was born and raised in America, but let's say I was born and rasied in......idk, China....but for whatever reason I now call America my home, I wouldn't want to be called American, because I'm not.

Shirtless Gaian

11,150 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hellraiser 500
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Kuro Dollie

Okay, I was born and raised in America, but let's say I was born and rasied in......idk, China....but for whatever reason I now call America my home, I wouldn't want to be called American, because I'm not.

But would you be a citizen of America? Or would you still be a citizen of China?

Questionable Borg

NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Kuro Dollie

But would you be a citizen of America? Or would you still be a citizen of China?
I'd be a citizen of America, but that doesn't mean America is my home.

Shirtless Gaian

11,150 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hellraiser 500
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity

But it would be correct to call you American, even if your not originally from America.

Questionable Borg

NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity
NightMagic6
Mayor Gravity

But it would be correct to call you American, even if your not originally from America.
No, it wouldn't be. Because I'm not American, I'm Chinese.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff