Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feral Friend

Miss-dark8607
Trolls are gonna to destroy the internet with their collective stupidity and lack of utter respect. However the sick irony or Karma rather is that they will also end up getting trolled after it all.

You're a burned Sailor Mars!

... I LOVE YOU

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

By Lantern Light
X sansmerci

Fun fact: Racism isn't individual acts of meanness. (though, of course, it's good that you haven't committed a crime against anyone! yikes)

Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack is a short essay with a checklist to help white people think about the way racism has affected society, particularly in terms of their experience.

The point is not to feel guilty for being white. The point is to own that you are white, acknowledge what that means in society, and then, if you are into being a decent person, apply your new knowledge to that aspect of your personality. Which is more words, but much simpler than feeling martyred for having to learn about racism; it's just being yourself, but a little more aware of unspoken stuff. smile

Agreed.

See I skimmed over the essay, and it seemed to make the same onesided assumption as occur pretty much everywhere. Racism is a white problem (topped by sexism is a male problem). Everyone should be taught not to allow color or heritage to tint their view of people.

Why in heaven should I have to acknowledge that I'm white? Isn't it a far better endeavor to acknowledge oneself as simply human with all the faults that entails, try to shrug off the tribal/clan instincts that come with our programming, and work to view everyone as equal under the eyes of god?

Skimming does tend to inhibit comprehension, so I won't judge you for coming to that conclusion.

Racism is not just a white problem, but the vast majority of people do not recognize it as a white problem at all. Writings like that list exist to help clue people in, since an integral part of white privilege is the privilege to not notice it exists.

I can't speak as to what you should do in Heaven, but here, white is the default and that comes with benefits whether the individual wants them or not. If someone is opposed to racism and is also white, one of their first steps is going to be understanding and owning their whiteness. It's not comfortable to acknowledge one's white privilege— on the contrary, the more you already feel progressive, the more it's going to bring up some really ugly feelings when you have to face the fact that you're a participant in racist systems without any conscious choice— but it is part of "Being a White Anti-Racist Ally 101".

It is nice to think "oh, we're all human"- and we certainly are- but it's not a practical response to injustice. Racism is systematic, and you can't disassemble a system only by thinking like it's already happened.

You have to live in the world we have, where racism, classism, sexism, and ever other interconnected bit of the mess still exists, and navigate that. It's not as easy as saying you don't see color, we're all human and other platitudes like that, but it's what's effective. Because at the end of the day, platitudes are all they are, which doesn't help any fellow human in a material way, no matter how good it feels to say them. (And I'm not exempting myself here, it is very nice to imagine all the people living in harmony, and I've been as lazy as anyone, so I know facing the challenge of choosing to be actively good in the face of a world that's designed to be malignantly passive is daunting.)

Whether we're equal in the eyes of G d is for his kingdom; to be responsible stewards/the dominant species, we must use our intelligence as a tool for equality for each other in this life.

Fatcat

hate crimes take place in other places against white people too - one example is south africa.

I think people discriminate against others on lots of different accounts - no reason is more valid than another.

Having said this, I think black history month is a good opportunity for people to learn more about 'history' and what happened back then. I still don't understand why its more or less important than say... Auschwitz or something of that context, of which there is no month.
Hey you have a BET, that's pretty racists against whites. talk2hand

Tipsy Shopper

8,050 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
Salvatore Graziano
xThe Goblin Queenx
How can anyone say we don't need black history month.

Perhaps you've heard of Emmit Till?
Considering your lack of respect probably not.
Emmit Till was a 14 year old boy. In 1955 on August 28th, he was kidnapped and and beaten with a pistol, then his attackers tied him up and shot him in the head. After he was dead they tied him to a 70 pound fan and threw him in the river.
They attackers were arrested, and then found not guilty.

In 2001 Raynard Johnson a 17 year old black male as hung from a tree for whistling at a white girl.

There are 154 known cases of black woman lynchings.

And now you're thinking that was in the past we've learned.

In 2009 58 hate crimes took place. One third of them were targeted at black people.

My mother is of mixed races, when she was pregnant with me she used to pray, that I wouldn't look like her so I would never have to feel the pain she did.
Can you imagine praying your child doesn't look like you? Because you've suffered because of you're skin colour?

How can you look at all the people who have suffered and say that we don't need a month to remember them.
They deserve a whole damn year.
You should be thinking of all the people who died, all the people who where beaten, all the people who cried over a lost child because someone took them away because they where black.

I am disgusted that you can think of these people and not care about them.
Just disgusted.

Perhaps you've heard of the Native Americans? Probably not, because they were subject to near genocide.

AMEN!!!

Tipsy Shopper

8,050 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
By Lantern Light
X sansmerci
By Lantern Light
Well sweetie have fun being sick alot, because not everyone buys into this bull.

I'm in all likely hood no more racist than you are. I have never commited a hate crime, and I see no reason why I should be made to feel guilty for something I have had nothing to do with, and nor should I or anyother person who just so happens to be born white.

'Blacks' are by no means the only people to suffer from 'racism'. Humans are as a whole are horrible to eachother, because crazy, be an exception end of story.

Fun fact: Racism isn't individual acts of meanness. (though, of course, it's good that you haven't committed a crime against anyone! yikes)

Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack is a short essay with a checklist to help white people think about the way racism has affected society, particularly in terms of their experience.

The point is not to feel guilty for being white. The point is to own that you are white, acknowledge what that means in society, and then, if you are into being a decent person, apply your new knowledge to that aspect of your personality. Which is more words, but much simpler than feeling martyred for having to learn about racism; it's just being yourself, but a little more aware of unspoken stuff. smile

Agreed.

See I skimmed over the essay, and it seemed to make the same onesided assumption as occur pretty much everywhere. Racism is a white problem (topped by sexism is mankinds problem). Everyone should be taught not to allow color or heritage to tint their view of people.

Why in heaven should I have to acknowledge that I'm white? Isn't it a far better endeavor to acknowledge oneself as simply human with all the faults that entails, try to shrug off the tribal/clan instincts that come with our programming, and work to view everyone as equal under the eyes of god?

Quit being sexist not all men are sexist

3,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Autobiographer 200
i need black history month i learn off of it and get extra credit in social studies

Distrustful Scamp

30,875 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Astral Veteran 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
75% of the topics in this forum sicken me. It's nothing but complaints about black history month existing (who aren't aware there are other months for other races) and trolling by 15 year olds who destroy the English language.
emotion_facepalm
As a black guy, I hate black history month. I feel like it separates me from everyone else. I just want to blend in with all the other races, not get special treatment. I also hate the fact that we have scholarships that you can only get if you are black. That's racist. Stop treating us like we're special, until I see every race have it's own history month, I hate it.

Gracious Fairy

Phancy Sex
By Lantern Light
X sansmerci
By Lantern Light
Well sweetie have fun being sick alot, because not everyone buys into this bull.

I'm in all likely hood no more racist than you are. I have never commited a hate crime, and I see no reason why I should be made to feel guilty for something I have had nothing to do with, and nor should I or anyother person who just so happens to be born white.

'Blacks' are by no means the only people to suffer from 'racism'. Humans are as a whole are horrible to eachother, because crazy, be an exception end of story.

Agreed.

See I skimmed over the essay, and it seemed to make the same onesided assumption as occur pretty much everywhere. Racism is a white problem (topped by sexism is mankinds problem). Everyone should be taught not to allow color or heritage to tint their view of people.

Quit being sexist not all men are sexist
My goodness. you misunderstand me. I was complaining about the extremely flawed perception that sexism is a male issue.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff