Welcome to Gaia! ::

At my school they have an assembly that's usually just a slide show with about a million picture of Michael Jackson in it and all the black kids do that black power fist thing. It just causes more racism.

How does/did your school celebrate black history month?

Aged Shapeshifter

10,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Elocutionist 200
MJ was black? eek

4,750 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
At my old school they would just go on and on about BH in classes. Sometimes the teachers would slap together a slideshow or put up posters. My Spanish teacher would play Michael Jackson- Black or White all day long. But that's nothing to unusual considering shes an MJ addict.

Star Champion

Irregular Genius

Absolutely nothing... Call my school raciest if you want, but we do nothing special for it.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Did you know BHM also stands for "big handsome man"?

Beloved Friend

5,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
stormylane
MJ was black? eek

ah, you make me laugh.yes you do.... rofl
yea, he was black, then he had some surgery and became white! anyhoo,his surgery do some mumbo-jumbo on him and suddenly he was white. i don't really know what happened, i just hear many things.........

Dangerous Visionary

I lived in the Bay Area (mostly Oakland, Richmond, and sometimes San Jose but I never went to school there) So due to the fact that it was mostly Black and Latino we did make a big deal about those months and why I know so much about Black history. We would always do book reports about Black people during this month every year, there's a few plays, presentations, and other event all over the community. In high school they did the Wiz. I think my college is doing the story of Fredrick Douglas and other one on boxing great Joe Louis.
Call Me Apple
Did you know BHM also stands for "big handsome man"?

That's what this topic was really about, but people misunderstood.
Last year, our school had local theatre troupes do a play about Black history of Nova Scotia- actually a very cute play.

This year, my English class is reading The Color Purple.
When I was in HS we did an hour and a half long assembly. Showed slide shows, had people talk to us, have the muti-cultural, and dance classes do dances of their culture. It was pretty neat, but it happened every year. So once you were in grade twelve you've seen everything they did, three times over. It's neat to see it though.
My school does nothing for BHM. emotion_eyebrow

6,175 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
My university doesn't celebrate it. Too busy sucking up our money to care.

But my senior year of high school had an hour-long play of sorts featuring mini-stories about prominent black individuals and their fight for equality in America. Featured a lot of the great contributions they gave to America's progress and shaping of.

...then afterwards, a huge mob fight between two groups of black students broke out in the commons immediately after the play. Fists were swung, individuals were tasered... -/facepalm- So glad I'm not in high school anymore.
My school doesn't celebrate it.Until this year my math teacher was calling a meeting for all black kids and some of their friends to come and think of ideas/pictures to be hung up at the school. My school barely has any blacks. The majority are asians and whites. There not the many mexicans either. My school also doesn't have Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday off. As long as I can remember since I've been going to this school we've never celebrated it. But my school celebrates different cultures.So that's a good thing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff