Welcome to Gaia! ::

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Miss_Hipster

I guess, but some are and accusations are not awesome. 3nodding

Yeah it's uncomfortable when someone calls you out on race stuff, especially if you think of yourself as not racist, but it's probably more uncomfortable for them if they're even speaking up.
So take it like if you were dancing and they said "You trod on my foot, dude!"; you own it and then don't do it again, done.

Dapper Fatcat

No. If anything I get offended by being called "African American", because most of my black ancestry were not born in Africa. It's like if I called a white person a "European American" because his ancestors were on the Mayflower.
X sansmerci
Miss_Hipster

I guess, but some are and accusations are not awesome. 3nodding

Yeah it's uncomfortable when someone calls you out on race stuff, especially if you think of yourself as not racist, but it's probably more uncomfortable for them if they're even speaking up.
So take it like if you were dancing and they said "You trod on my foot, dude!"; you own it and then don't do it again, done.

Heheh.. Okay.. i get it.
Saberie
No. If anything I get offended by being called "African American", because most of my black ancestry were not born in Africa. It's like if I called a white person a "European American" because his ancestors were on the Mayflower.

But what if you don't happen to know where the persons background happens to be?
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Quote:
Ikr? everyone may understand that I have no intention of hurting others while they just need something to pick at to seem occupied or 'popular'.... That is just plain dumb....

I'm the kind of person that if someone got offended, I'd probably just reply with some smartass remark, so I try to keep my mouth shut. I don't think it's a popularity thing, but more like sensitivity. I don't mean for this to sound racist or anything, but I noticed that most blacks like to be called African Americans. And I've even seen a few whites who want to be called Caucasians.

Well,what if they ain't american? But I understand.. Sensitive? I think has to do with them wanting to fit in..

Maybe it's popularity for some people, I don't know. I've always shunned people who pull that s**t around me, so I won't pretend I understand their logic.

Like what kind of s**t? question

You know, people getting offended easily, after no one really said anything wrong. I mean, some guy got offended at the word brownie, when the other person was talking about cookies. He made a huge spectacle over that. Stuff like that.

Oh, haha. What's wrong with cookies and brownies? Aren't they supposed to be yummy?
shubbie
I don't get offended being called black. I personally prefer it over African American, but whichever is fine.

Its great to know what everyone's thoughts are...
Than you biggrin

Dapper Fatcat

Miss_Hipster
Saberie

But what if you don't happen to know where the persons background happens to be?
Then you definitely don't call them African American.
I don't call people by their colour unless I'm describing how they look or something. I personally can't get offended cause I'm half Portuguese, half Indian.

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster

Well,what if they ain't american? But I understand.. Sensitive? I think has to do with them wanting to fit in..

Maybe it's popularity for some people, I don't know. I've always shunned people who pull that s**t around me, so I won't pretend I understand their logic.

You know, people getting offended easily, after no one really said anything wrong. I mean, some guy got offended at the word brownie, when the other person was talking about cookies. He made a huge spectacle over that. Stuff like that.

Oh, haha. What's wrong with cookies and brownies? Aren't they supposed to be yummy?

Nothing's wrong with brownies, they're epic and chocolate-y.

7,050 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
Nope, why get offended?
ButterFlyofDeath23
Nope, why get offended?
I remember when my friend used to be called 'casper' like the ghost... And in other words to them.. That means like white s**t since she pale..
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster

Nothing's wrong with brownies, they're epic and chocolate-y.

Ha... Well.. That person who gets so mad about brownies tell that dude or chick to stuff a brownie in her mouth and eat it! stare
Kim Haruko
I don't call people by their colour unless I'm describing how they look or something. I personally can't get offended cause I'm half Portuguese, half Indian.

Yeah, but im mainly reffering to black and white since they are the people whom get offended more than the rest by 'racism'
Saberie
Miss_Hipster
Saberie

Then you definitely don't call them African American.

I just realized I never in my whole life ever used the term 'african american'.....
Wow.. Heh. But it's obvious that I would not call them that if I know nothing but to judge.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff