Welcome to Gaia! ::

I speak with caution hoping I wouldn't offend anyone by naming others on their skin group... But if I did would it actually offend ANYONE? I call people by their names not by their colour, what do you do? neutral

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
I wouldn't get offended if you called me white, if you were describing my appearance to someone. But you're right to use caution, because some people are really sensitive about that sort of thing.
Celeste Camellia
I wouldn't get offended if you called me white, if you were describing my appearance to someone. But you're right to use caution, because some people are really sensitive about that sort of thing.

I totally understand but whenever I happen to say it once, i'm being called racist... I have nothing against the colour so why are people saying this? This is not racistism.

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia

I totally understand but whenever I happen to say it once, i'm being called racist... I have nothing against the colour so why are people saying this? This is not racistism.

You're right, it's not. But as I said, some people wear their racial issues on their sleeve. It's stupid, really, because saying black is easier than saying African American, and saying white is easier than saying Caucasian, so I can't say why people get offended. I'd understand getting offended at a slur, but not that.
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia

You're right, it's not. But as I said, some people wear their racial issues on their sleeve. It's stupid, really, because saying black is easier than saying African American, and saying white is easier than saying Caucasian, so I can't say why people get offended. I'd understand getting offended at a slur, but not that.

Ikr? everyone may understand that I have no intention of hurting others while they just need something to pick at to seem occupied or 'popular'.... That is just plain dumb...

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
Quote:
Ikr? everyone may understand that I have no intention of hurting others while they just need something to pick at to seem occupied or 'popular'.... That is just plain dumb....

I'm the kind of person that if someone got offended, I'd probably just reply with some smartass remark, so I try to keep my mouth shut. I don't think it's a popularity thing, but more like sensitivity. I don't mean for this to sound racist or anything, but I noticed that most blacks like to be called African Americans. And I've even seen a few whites who want to be called Caucasians.
Celeste Camellia
Quote:
Ikr? everyone may understand that I have no intention of hurting others while they just need something to pick at to seem occupied or 'popular'.... That is just plain dumb....

I'm the kind of person that if someone got offended, I'd probably just reply with some smartass remark, so I try to keep my mouth shut. I don't think it's a popularity thing, but more like sensitivity. I don't mean for this to sound racist or anything, but I noticed that most blacks like to be called African Americans. And I've even seen a few whites who want to be called Caucasians.

Well,what if they ain't american? But I understand.. Sensitive? I think has to do with them wanting to fit in..

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

It's possible.
I mean, this is the internet, so whenever you ask "is it offensive to…" there will be some people who will say "I'm X, and that doesn't offend me!" (or when offense in general comes up, volunteer that or the varient "My Y is X, and they are not offended by that!" wink .

But that's negligibly helpful, since while it can help you if what you're unsure about is pretty much universally tactless, when something is just questionable, it can feel like knowing that someone X is okay with it means it's okay and that anyone who does take offense is overreacting. Which of course isn't logical, but it is very human to fall into pattern thinking and make assumptions like that subconsciously.

For this in particular, I can only say that I have not personally encountered anyone who was offended and that you'll just have to be open to taking someone at face value if they fall outside that. If someone says they prefer African American to black or vise versa, you won't be loosing anything by respecting it. ::shrugs::

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Quote:

Well,what if they ain't american? But I understand.. Sensitive? I think has to do with them wanting to fit in..

Maybe it's popularity for some people, I don't know. I've always shunned people who pull that s**t around me, so I won't pretend I understand their logic.
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Quote:

Maybe it's popularity for some people, I don't know. I've always shunned people who pull that s**t around me, so I won't pretend I understand their logic.

Like what kind of s**t? question
X sansmerci
It's possible.
I mean, this is the internet, so whenever you ask "is it offensive to…" there will be some people who will say "I'm X, and that doesn't offend me!" (or when offense in general comes up, volunteer that or the varient "My Y is X, and they are not offended by that!" wink .

But that's negligibly helpful, since while it can help you if what you're unsure about is pretty much universally tactless, when something is just questionable, it can feel like knowing that someone X is okay with it means it's okay and that anyone who does take offense is overreacting. Which of course isn't logical, but it is very human to fall into pattern thinking and make assumptions like that subconsciously.

For this in particular, I can only say that I have not personally encountered anyone who was offended and that you'll just have to be open to taking someone at face value if they fall outside that. If someone says they prefer African American to black or vise versa, you won't be loosing anything by respecting it. ::shrugs::

I guess, but some are and accusations are not awesome. 3nodding
I don't get offended being called black. I personally prefer it over African American, but whichever is fine.
I don't get offended.

Beloved Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hero 100
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Miss_Hipster
Celeste Camellia
Quote:

Like what kind of s**t? question

You know, people getting offended easily, after no one really said anything wrong. I mean, some guy got offended at the word brownie, when the other person was talking about cookies. He made a huge spectacle over that. Stuff like that.

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
Nope, call me white, but you only got a part of me. Call me cracker if you want but you forget the rest of me. im a cracker with spices from England, Ireland, Whales, Germany and Japanese. its just my skin color so why get offended?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff