Welcome to Gaia! ::

heart
Black history month is important!!! We need to remember those who fought for freedom and those who stood up to the whites! I am black and I believe that black history month is needed. biggrin

This one guy says that we don't need to celebrate black history month but why?
Maybe it's because this person's jealous...
Maybe this person is selfish and thinks that he/she is more important than others...
Maybe this person doesn't believe that color doesn't matter...

Respond by posting what YOU think about this. Why do people think we should't celebrate and appreciate who the important blacks were! Let's prove them wrong!!! heart exclaim
If we did not have Black History Month, some Kids would not have Asked their Parents why we had this month and the Parents replying to their Confused Child "To remember Historical People like Ernest Green, Martin Luther, And other historical people That changed our history"
I don't live in america or know that much about the month but i don't really see the point it fuels racism and separate's races, i know people have being wronged in that past because of the color of their skin but we got over it and I don't think america needs the month. In my opinion.

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Munshiii
I don't live in america or know that much about the month but i don't really see the point it fuels racism and separate's races, i know people have being wronged in that past because of the color of their skin but we got over it and I don't think america needs the month. In my opinion.

You seem to have been misinformed. One post won't entirely fix that, but hopefully I can help.

Someone taught you that talking about racism fuels racism. The shitheads in this forum who are trolling would not be perfectly nice people if Black History Month didn't exist- they are racist the other 11 months and just use that as their excuse for these couple weeks. Racism is a problem that is deeply embedded in society, and refusing to talk about it will only make it worse, not better.

You also seem to be under the impression that racism is a thing of the past or a thing to "get over". It is not in the past; racism is systematic oppression, not individual acts of meanness, and it is still going strong, it's just in a different shape today; mostly covert rather than overt, since it's no longer socially acceptable to say "No (slur)s are going to shop in the same places I do, they are practically animals!" Which is not to imply that undeniably racist overt acts are gone- there are still crimes committed every day agains people on the basis of the color of their skin- but to clarify since so many people have been erroneously taught that racism is slavery, lynching and separate water fountains, so the lack of those specific things means we're in a post-racial society.

Which gets into why Black History Month exists. It's meant to patch a gaping hole, since not only have people of color historically been treated poorly, their experiences, achievements and existence has been excluded from the telling of history. There is much to be said for what else could be done better, both during the month and in terms of the full curriculum, but as it stands, history is still taught from a white supremacist perspective, so we still need a supplement on the history of black people to get even close to history-the-subject leaving students with knowledge of history-the-stuff-that-actually-happened.

Racism is not something to tell an individual to get over any more than cancer is something to yell at an individual cell to get over. (An imperfect analogy, but I'm trying to avoid mentioning other societal issues. smile )

I have a link somewhere up in my bookmarks with a short essay that's a pretty good introduction to how societal racism affects white people, edit TK. here it is!

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I appreciate black History month. Without it, I feel that many things would not have been taught.
X sansmerci
Munshiii

You seem to have been misinformed. One post won't entirely fix that, but hopefully I can help.

Someone taught you that talking about racism fuels racism. The shitheads in this forum who are trolling would not be perfectly nice people if Black History Month didn't exist- they are racist the other 11 months and just use that as their excuse for these couple weeks. Racism is a problem that is deeply embedded in society, and refusing to talk about it will only make it worse, not better.

You also seem to be under the impression that racism is a thing of the past or a thing to "get over". It is not in the past; racism is systematic oppression, not individual acts of meanness, and it is still going strong, it's just in a different shape today; mostly covert rather than overt, since it's no longer socially acceptable to say "No (slur)s are going to shop in the same places I do, they are practically animals!" Which is not to imply that undeniably racist overt acts are gone- there are still crimes committed every day agains people on the basis of the color of their skin- but to clarify since so many people have been erroneously taught that racism is slavery, lynching and separate water fountains, so the lack of those specific things means we're in a post-racial society.

Which gets into why Black History Month exists. It's meant to patch a gaping hole, since not only have people of color historically been treated poorly, their experiences, achievements and existence has been excluded from the telling of history. There is much to be said for what else could be done better, both during the month and in terms of the full curriculum, but as it stands, history is still taught from a white supremacist perspective, so we still need a supplement on the history of black people to get even close to history-the-subject leaving students with knowledge of history-the-stuff-that-actually-happened.

Racism is not something to tell an individual to get over any more than cancer is something to yell at an individual cell to get over. (An imperfect analogy, but I'm trying to avoid mentioning other societal issues. smile )

I have a link somewhere up in my bookmarks with a short essay that's a pretty good introduction to how societal racism affects white people, edit TK. here it is!

Nobody taught me that talking about racism fuels it but i think that it pisses a lot of racist people off in their warped minds, i don't think that refusing to talk about is what people should do but trying to reason with a racist person is going to get people nowhere it might enlighten them on stuff about the race they hate but not going to change their mind. smile

No i don't think racism is something of the past i have dealt with racism myself a lot of times and i wasn't saying that we should get over racism you're taking my words out of context, i said we got over what happened in the past with people being kept slaves and treat differently because of their skin color i know that people are still racist but it is a much smaller amount of people than it was 50 years ago. Also i know people are still treat differently because of their skin color but it is a lot less than many years ago.

Well thank you for informing me a little on black history month i can see why the month is so important to america and what happens within it. smile

Also i didn't tell people to get over racism or try and avoid there are many ways to combat racism, i know that racism is still around but it just seems like american people seem ignorant or mainly racist against black people, i am not saying all or most just how it seems, i am probably wrong. Also I know black people were wronged and treat really badly and inhumane but they are not the only race that are treat badly.

Thank you for the link and educating me on the subject, i will look at the link later. smile

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Munshiii
X sansmerci

Nobody taught me that talking about racism fuels it but i think that it pisses a lot of racist people off in their warped minds, i don't think that refusing to talk about is what people should do but trying to reason with a racist person is going to get people nowhere it might enlighten them on stuff about the race they hate but not going to change their mind. smile

No i don't think racism is something of the past i have dealt with racism myself a lot of times and i wasn't saying that we should get over racism you're taking my words out of context, i said we got over what happened in the past with people being kept slaves and treat differently because of their skin color i know that people are still racist but it is a much smaller amount of people than it was 50 years ago. Also i know people are still treat differently because of their skin color but it is a lot less than many years ago.

Well thank you for informing me a little on black history month i can see why the month is so important to america and what happens within it. smile

Also i didn't tell people to get over racism or try and avoid there are many ways to combat racism, i know that racism is still around but it just seems like american people seem ignorant or mainly racist against black people, i am not saying all or most just how it seems, i am probably wrong. Also I know black people were wronged and treat really badly and inhumane but they are not the only race that are treat badly.

Thank you for the link and educating me on the subject, i will look at the link later. smile

Cool, happy to help!

I'd rather seem a little silly and like I'm repeating obvious stuff, since there's always people reading along who are too shy to post- I know I was a lurker for a long time, haha.
I am grateful for black history month, who knew these people that made a difference without this month?

Friendly Bunny

I support black history month... I was able to experience various activities which was very encouraging and that also made me think what this month was really about 4laugh

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff