Welcome to Gaia! ::

This thread is about Black filmmakers would like to add to it?

pollin 0.2 20.0% [ 3 ]
no 0.13333333333333 13.3% [ 2 ]
yes 0.4 40.0% [ 6 ]
maybe 0.26666666666667 26.7% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 15 ]
1 2 >

Dangerous Visionary

First off I still don't know a while lot about this topic but I do tend to like a lot of indie films that I think sometimes relates to this subject. I have seen both version of Shaft though and a lot of the Jim Kelly movies. (Then again I like MA period) I don't know if one my favorite films as a kid The Last Dragon counts but I love that movie. It's a total B maybe even D list movie but its so awesome. biggrin I think though when people are asked about Black filmmakers they only know about Spike Lee and now Tyler Perry. (sometimes you may get John Singleton) However, there's a lot of filmmakers other there that happen to be Black and even female too. My cousin got us Netflix again and in the wee hours I have been looking at a ton of Black movies. I think out the major Black filmmakers I Perry move than Lee since Lee is too smart for me and I don't understand what he always getting at. However, I like the stuff that Robert Townsend did as Metro Man was cool since at the time we didn't really have live action Black superheros yet. So far I really like the lesser known indie Black films like Woman thou art loose, Ride, and A good day to be Black and sexy. I think Hollywood really needs to promote more films featuring Black filmmakers. Its not cool that the award shows and the Summer blockbusters only seem to have whites in focus all the time. Or how only white filmmakers can make good black films. Color Purple and Red Tails may be good films but so was Do the Right thing and Baby boy. I think Hollywood don't like promoting "Black films" because for the most part they aren't selling a cheap fantasy and most Black films I have seen are based in reality and talk about life as it is. Not to say that Blacks can't create fantasy because they can and should. wink

So yeah that's my two cents for this topic.
The Last Dragon is, at first glance, a Blaxploitation cheesy action flick with a black Bruce Lee type hero, but it's also a pretty good movie to watch. It's a favorite at school.

I think the worst Blaxploitation movie I've ever seen was Blacula. Badly written, badly staged. It wasn't the actors' fault it was so bad. It was just an excuse to have a quasi-African undead nobleman chase screaming girls in the city.

I like Tyler Perry too, although sometimes his movies have such uneven, clunky pacing! I wish he would do some that are straight drama, no comedy, and some that are more lighthearted all the way through. Maybe it's hard when you're the writer, director, and 1/3 of the cast to keep focused on one genre. You want to express everything and it doesn't always come out smoothly. Other than that, can't complain - he has good ideas, and I prefer that over other filmmakers like jim cameron

Dangerous Visionary

OV8ION
The Last Dragon is, at first glance, a Blaxploitation cheesy action flick with a black Bruce Lee type hero, but it's also a pretty good movie to watch. It's a favorite at school.

I think the worst Blaxploitation movie I've ever seen was Blacula. Badly written, badly staged. It wasn't the actors' fault it was so bad. It was just an excuse to have a quasi-African undead nobleman chase screaming girls in the city.

I like Tyler Perry too, although sometimes his movies have such uneven, clunky pacing! I wish he would do some that are straight drama, no comedy, and some that are more lighthearted all the way through. Maybe it's hard when you're the writer, director, and 1/3 of the cast to keep focused on one genre. You want to express everything and it doesn't always come out smoothly. Other than that, can't complain - he has good ideas, and I prefer that over other filmmakers like jim cameron

I knew I wasn't the only person that love The Last Dragon. I hear they are trying to remake it. sad Chicken Geroge is the worst one I seen it was very graphic! I threw up when I saw it. It's probably the most graphic slave ship scene in film history. I have been told Sweetback is pretty bad too since it features a child having sex with a hooker. gonk Yeah I feel the same about Tyler Perry too. His last movie colored girls was awful. I was upset for days after seeing it. It didn't really have any good scenes in it it was all gloomy. I wonder if the play is like that too.

Dangerous Visionary

Dangerous Visionary

Benevolent Genius

13,900 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Mark Twain 100
I also like Tyler Perry.

I haven't seen very many blaxpoitation movies, but off of the top of my head, I remember movies and series that reference them, like Kill Bill and Cowboy Bebop.

Dangerous Visionary

Tenko72
I also like Tyler Perry.

I haven't seen very many blaxpoitation movies, but off of the top of my head, I remember movies and series that reference them, like Kill Bill and Cowboy Bebop.

Yup. It comes back here and there. There's this one movie that comes on Staz or showtime late out night with Tommy Davidson (the skinny Black guy from In living color) well anyway its basically a parody of blaxpoitation movies. It's really funny. Black Dynamite I think its called.

Dangerous Visionary

Dangerous Visionary

Dangerous Visionary

Wheezing Egg

I've already talked about western media and their exploitation of black people in the industry so I won't touch on that again but, off the top of my head, I immediately thought of Shadeism and Good Hair. They're both documentaries and they're pretty good :3

I wanted to see Red Tails so, so bad but it hasn't been a month yet and my local theater has replaced it with shitty 3D re-releases -_- I'm still really angry about it. I know I'll most likely buy the movie when it releases but still. I wanted to see it on the big screens.

Dangerous Visionary

Lick Brains
I've already talked about western media and their exploitation of black people in the industry so I won't touch on that again but, off the top of my head, I immediately thought of Shadeism and Good Hair. They're both documentaries and they're pretty good :3

I wanted to see Red Tails so, so bad but it hasn't been a month yet and my local theater has replaced it with shitty 3D re-releases -_- I'm still really angry about it. I know I'll most likely buy the movie when it releases but still. I wanted to see it on the big screens.

Aw yeah Red Tails is out but like you my theaters aren't done with the sappy romcoms and Thrillers. Also since it is/was Oscar week they are showing all the Oscar noms kind of ill regular as well. I don't really care for the movies theaters around here.

Dangerous Visionary

Dangerous Visionary

Miss-dark8607
Bumps

Wheezing Raider

6,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Umm I'm someone who doesn't watch TV except for politics, and to buy a movie on-demand once and a while.. My Grandma pays the bill, and uses the TV the most... I have a TV in my room, but don't use it.. I rarely go see movies at the theater, cause I haven't seen any commercials! I do watch movies online, and buy/rent sometimes, and the genres are pretty varied. Honestly, though, I think I've never seen a Blaxploitation movie. Why do you think whites who write black movies tend to get more famous movies? And what is it that makes you specifically seek out black indie movies? I know, blunt question, but I'm asking completely out of curiosity.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff