Welcome to Gaia! ::

Just listing African-Americans in comics.

Happy BHM 1 100.0% [ 36 ]
Total Votes:[ 36 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Dangerous Visionary

Saberie
Miss-dark8607
Saberie
Miss-dark8607
Saberie
Static has got to be my favorite DC superhero, although the comics and the tv show are quite different.

Yeah I'm sad that his title got dropped in the new 52. I was digging it but I really couldn't afford it. Hopefully there will still be a trade.
They originally planned him to be in the Teen Titans cartoon, but there was too much red tape around him so they couldn't get the rights for him.

Yeah that always happen. Its the same for Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl, and a lot of characters. I don't get why. Doesn't DC see their sales bump up a bit when they have cartoon counterparts?
It's because within DC, there are private owners of characters, and they have the rights to them

true still a pain though and a bias.

Dangerous Visionary

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

I haven't read any of her stories, but Amanda Waller looks like an interesting DC character. (At least in the older comics; looks like the "new" Dr. Waller is one of the worst examples of the sexist coating the reboot is double-dipped in.)

And the Engineer of Stormwatch! She's pretty cool, since she was a fan of comics as a kid so she's a self-made superhero.

Dangerous Visionary

X sansmerci
I haven't read any of her stories, but Amanda Waller looks like an interesting DC character. (At least in the older comics; looks like the "new" Dr. Waller is one of the worst examples of the sexist coating the reboot is double-dipped in.)

And the Engineer of Stormwatch! She's pretty cool, since she was a fan of comics as a kid so she's a self-made superhero.

Yeah I saw that too I nearly head desk myself into my computer screen. That's why I pretty much dropped all my titles. Well its the sexism plus the economy.

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Miss-dark8607

Yeah I saw that too I nearly head desk myself into my computer screen. That's why I pretty much dropped all my titles. Well its the sexism plus the economy.

At this point I'm reading Batwoman because I picked up Elegy & liked it, treating myself to backnovels of She-Hulk from time to time, and that's it for the big 2. It's so frustrating that it's getting worse.

Dangerous Visionary

X sansmerci
Miss-dark8607

At this point I'm reading Batwoman because I picked up Elegy & liked it, treating myself to backnovels of She-Hulk from time to time, and that's it for the big 2. It's so frustrating that it's getting worse.

Indeed and if they didn't have such joke writers like Judd I would be more willing to collect issues. (Why is he writing Batwing and I'll never forgive him and the greater DC for this s**t: The ending of Catwoman 1 This why man children shouldn't have jobs. OH and the best part most of the minories in DC have gotten either replaced or their titles have dropped. Static Shock and Mister Terrific both got canned. (To be fair Mister Terrific wasn't that well done. The story was just so-so the whole time I was reading it. Still kind of makes you wonder.)

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Miss-dark8607

Indeed and if they didn't have such joke writers like Judd I would be more willing to collect issues. (Why is he writing Batwing and I'll never forgive him and the greater DC for this s**t: The ending of Catwoman 1 This why man children shouldn't have jobs. OH and the best part most of the minories in DC have gotten either replaced or their titles have dropped. Static Shock and Mister Terrific both got canned. (To be fair Mister Terrific wasn't that well done. The story was just so-so the whole time I was reading it. Still kind of makes you wonder.)

Ugh, I'd almost managed to wipe that from my memory. One heck of a hairball, that mess.

It's so bad, not just because it's become even worse with across the board 'isms, but because when you reduce women to broken spines with painted on latex in every situation, it ruins the storytelling. If every female character has to be in a constant state of titillating the viewer, it not only saps the interest in character, it makes it beyond cartoonish when anyone is supposed to be sexual in-universe, so you wind up with Starfire pouting down impatiently at her glowing tits, uninterested in recalling all the dudes she's banged.

And it's a bad idea financially as well; if you decide that, for more than 50% of the population, you're not going to show them in your work, or will only throw them in as cardboard characters to support the White Male Lead, why the heck would anyone not already into comics spend their money on following a half dozen titles over having a frappucinno 5 days a week, or three new digital albums? rolleyes

Dangerous Visionary

X sansmerci
Miss-dark8607

Ugh, I'd almost managed to wipe that from my memory. One heck of a hairball, that mess.

It's so bad, not just because it's become even worse with across the board 'isms, but because when you reduce women to broken spines with painted on latex in every situation, it ruins the storytelling. If every female character has to be in a constant state of titillating the viewer, it not only saps the interest in character, it makes it beyond cartoonish when anyone is supposed to be sexual in-universe, so you wind up with Starfire pouting down impatiently at her glowing tits, uninterested in recalling all the dudes she's banged.

And it's a bad idea financially as well; if you decide that, for more than 50% of the population, you're not going to show them in your work, or will only throw them in as cardboard characters to support the White Male Lead, why the heck would anyone not already into comics spend their money on following a half dozen titles over having a frappucinno 5 days a week, or three new digital albums? rolleyes

Couldn't have said it better.

Beloved Knight

6,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
Miss-dark8607
RIP Dawyne McDuffie. crying I wish you were alive still would love to see what you would have done in the mess known as DC 52. emotion_facepalm As a few people on Gaia know I DO also like "western comics" not just DC or Marvel. I like Turtles and indie titles as well. Anyway on the same vein as the post I made about Black animation. This thread is showcasing our favorite Black/African-American superheroes and such.

Mines are:
Static Shock
Steel
and sometimes Black Panther (I like the BET series anyway)
James Steward aka Green Lantern

Live action:
Blade
The Meteor Man
Blankman > Kick a** emotion_dealwithit

Creators:
McDuffie crying
Aaron McGruder (Yeah the comic strip was way funnier than the anime/cartoon)

As usually learn more with the following links:
Jackie Ormes The first African-American female cartoonist
Morrier Turner is the first nationally syndicated African-American cartoonist
Lobo the first Black comic book character NO not the one from Superman. xd

Oh and check this guy out he does hip-hop comics I met him at one of the comic-con his stuff is okay: Age Scott

Ok. We'll I'll set
Characters:
Bishop (X-men), Spawn (Spawn), Green Lantern (2nd justice leage version)

Live action:
Blade (You bet your #$%), Power Ranger (Zack) sweatdrop ((Well he was popular at some point)), and Tina Turner (Mad Max beyond thunderdome)

Creaters:
Artist Steven Hughes.. (Lady Death) 3nodding
aaron mcgruders ..(boondocks)

Witty Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Was Venom from Guilty Gear black? Because in some of the pictures he looks black and then some he does/doesn't.. I can't be too sure but he was a total badass lol

Dangerous Visionary

Wrath_Knight

Ok. We'll I'll set
Characters:
Bishop (X-men), Spawn (Spawn), Green Lantern (2nd justice leage version)

Live action:
Blade (You bet your #$%), Power Ranger (Zack) sweatdrop ((Well he was popular at some point)), and Tina Turner (Mad Max beyond thunderdome)

Creaters:
Artist Steven Hughes.. (Lady Death) 3nodding
aaron mcgruders ..(boondocks)

Oh yeah Spawn. Yeah Zack totally counts as a Super hero. 3nodding

Man-Hungry Hunter

i'm digging this list as well as some of the others posted here. smile I can't think of any black super heroes/comic icons.

Happy Black History Month!!

Heart Consumer

Miss-dark8607
Lady Leopardess
I was shocked when I found out that Green Lantern was originally white.

not a super hero but I did like the African American (Addy I think it was?) from the American Girl series.

The black russian guy from Durarara is cool too. smile

LOL. Yeah a lot of people didn't see the Live action Green Lantern because it wasn't the "Black one".

Watching Justice League and its sequel, JLU, I was really disappointed to see that the Green Lantern in the movie wasn't black! I love James Steward.

Dangerous Visionary

kbaby0921
i'm digging this list as well as some of the others posted here. smile I can't think of any black super heroes/comic icons.

Happy Black History Month!!

Thanks and yeah there's a whole list on Wiki you could check out:

See

Dangerous Visionary

Evoblack
Miss-dark8607
Lady Leopardess
I was shocked when I found out that Green Lantern was originally white.

not a super hero but I did like the African American (Addy I think it was?) from the American Girl series.

The black russian guy from Durarara is cool too. smile

LOL. Yeah a lot of people didn't see the Live action Green Lantern because it wasn't the "Black one".

Watching Justice League and its sequel, JLU, I was really disappointed to see that the Green Lantern in the movie wasn't black! I love James Steward.

Yeah that was a last minute change up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces