Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Fairy

10,650 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Love Muffin88
"Do you feel blamed or guilty during black history month? What makes you feel that way?"
No. I don't feel guilty about blacks having a whole month dedicated to them. I don't understand why one should? For me, my ancestors didn't own slave(to refer to slavery). Back in the 1800's, my moms ancestors were basic poor white people, who couldn't afford slaves. My dads ancestors were Native American, so. But even though a persons ancestors owned slaves, that shouldn't matter. One shouldn't feel guilty of what their ancestors do.

I don't understand the blamed part of the question?

As silly as it sounds, many people feel that they are being blamed/punished for the deeds of people who may or may not have been their ancestors. neutral I'm trying to find out what made those people feel that way.

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
Jono Blue
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Gill_Of_Octane
Then why is there not an Asian History Month? The Japanese-Americans were detained in Hawaii for a long time without trail. What about Hispanic History Month? America took a great chunk of land from Mexico. What about Native America History Month? Do I even need to go into what we did to them? So yeah, BHM is all about guilting whites.

There is. For all of them. Good job being ill informed.
There's even a month for Italians, Polish, and German history. It's not a guilt thing, it's a cultural celebration, but it's also a good time to remember what some evil people did in the past so we don't do it again.

Some people ask why there isn't a white history month. I like this question because it makes them look stupid. There isn't a white culture month or white history month because "white" isn't a culture. I don't even call February "black history month." Its African History month. You could have a European History month if you wanted to I guess.

A good time to remember what evil people did in the past? I wouldn't even call that a celebration if that's a part of what it's about. Celebrating culture and remembering the problems in the past are two different things. Oh, and calling it Black History Month is probably a good choice of words since not all blacks in the US are African descent.

Note that I said "but it's also a good time..." Not and. It's about cultural celebration, but also a time to learn about the history of people of African descent people, whether it was good or not. You celebrate the cultural, you learn the history, you appreciate how far the world has come.
I'll be honest; I'm not sure where else black people are from. All people I've known of who were black were African. But I'd be glad to know.
--I'd like to point out that I'm Canadian...so what I've come to celebrate during the month and appreciate may not be quite the same as you.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88
"Do you feel blamed or guilty during black history month? What makes you feel that way?"
No. I don't feel guilty about blacks having a whole month dedicated to them. I don't understand why one should? For me, my ancestors didn't own slave(to refer to slavery). Back in the 1800's, my moms ancestors were basic poor white people, who couldn't afford slaves. My dads ancestors were Native American, so. But even though a persons ancestors owned slaves, that shouldn't matter. One shouldn't feel guilty of what their ancestors do.

As silly as it sounds, many people feel that they are being blamed/punished for the deeds of people who may or may not have been their ancestors. neutral I'm trying to find out what made those people feel that way.

I understand now. I think it's silly. I don't know anyone that feels that way, so it's kind of hard to answer you question. I typed in different various question your asking, in the google search bar. A lot of the search results were pretty racist. So, I guess it's mainly racist that think that way?

Sparkly Fairy

10,650 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Love Muffin88
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

I understand now. I think it's silly. I don't know anyone that feels that way, so it's kind of hard to answer you question. I typed in different various question your asking, in the google search bar. A lot of the search results were pretty racist. So, I guess it's mainly racist that think that way?

That was the impression I got too. I just wanted to run it by the ED to confirm my initial findings. 3nodding

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

That was the impression I got too. I just wanted to run it by the ED to confirm my initial findings. 3nodding

I've been flat-out told ( not on Gaia, mostly IRL ) that I was responsible for the actions of white people everywhere, but largely from the same kind of people I've seen complain about how disgusting it was to have to use the same water fountain as a white man, and then loudly ranting about how black people should have their own restaurants, bathrooms, water fountains, etc.

so, in short, the kind of people with more rage than credibility.
Keltoi Samurai
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

I've been flat-out told ( not on Gaia, mostly IRL ) that I was responsible for the actions of white people everywhere, but largely from the same kind of people I've seen complain about how disgusting it was to have to use the same water fountain as a white man, and then loudly ranting about how black people should have their own restaurants, bathrooms, water fountains, etc.

Those people sound racist to me.

Sparkly Fairy

10,650 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Keltoi Samurai
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

I see... stare I've seen a lot of appallingly racist black people online lately. Especially on Youtube and Facebook.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Belonging To Night
Keltoi Samurai
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

really depends on how you define "racist"

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Keltoi Samurai
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

I see... stare I've seen a lot of appallingly racist black people online lately. Especially on Youtube and Facebook.

well, the phenomenon isn't exactly new, nor is it really worse than it was before. I mean, just look up the Bluefield State College bombing to see how bad it once was.

Shameless Giver

10,800 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
eek http://www.californiaindianeducation.org/indian_humor/blame_whites.html
Keltoi Samurai
Belonging To Night
Keltoi Samurai
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

I define it as being the actions of the people you described in your post that I replied to. I consider a person not wanting to drink from the same water fountain as another person because of race as being racist. Basically discrimination based upon race, which I know people might argue against.

Adored Admirer

Keltoi Samurai
Blood Valkyrie
Keltoi Samurai
Blood Valkyrie
To me it is just another month. It's not that I assume Black History Month is bad. It's just that nothing special happens for me in that month, and I already am aware of the wonderful contributions Black people have made to society. So, I'm indifferent.

that's racist.

Please explain why.

well, if you are treating Black History Month as just another month, then that's just another form of colorblind racism. see, by treating everyone the same, you're ignoring the special situations and circumstances that surround Black people, and thus, you are being racist.

but, then, treating them different is racist, too, so it's kinda a Catch-22. either way, you're racist.

rofl

Well hey, black history month is just another month to me. If that makes me a racist, then I don't care.

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Belonging To Night
Keltoi Samurai
Belonging To Night
Keltoi Samurai
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

I define it as being the actions of the people you described in your post that I replied to. I consider a person not wanting to drink from the same water fountain as another person because of race as being racist. Basically discrimination based upon race, which I know people might argue against.

and yet, there are plenty of reasonable people that would disagree with your definition, and argue that these angry persons did not have the kind of institutionalized power necessary to be racist.

personally, whether they are racist or not, they always strike me as the kind of persons in desperate need of education.
Keltoi Samurai
Belonging To Night
Keltoi Samurai
Belonging To Night
Keltoi Samurai

and yet, there are plenty of reasonable people that would disagree with your definition, and argue that these angry persons did not have the kind of institutionalized power necessary to be racist.

personally, whether they are racist or not, they always strike me as the kind of persons in desperate need of education.

What should their actions that are discriminatory because of race be coined as then?

Sparkly Fairy

10,650 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
Keltoi Samurai
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Keltoi Samurai
MarcelineLeVampireReine
Love Muffin88

well, the phenomenon isn't exactly new, nor is it really worse than it was before. I mean, just look up the Bluefield State College bombing to see how bad it once was.

It's just about this time of year every year, I get hate mail and angry comments because I'm with a white guy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff