Welcome to Gaia! ::

Since it's black history month and there are a lot of distinguished black authors out there is anyone reading anything this month about black history or by any well known(or not) black authors?

I'm taking an African-American literature class at my university right now and so I've been reading books all semester so far but, right now we're reading James Baldwin's Go Tell it on the Mountain. So far it's pretty good. I'm really enjoying it a lot and I might go find more of his stuff after I finish this. So what's everyone else reading?

Girl-Crazy Marshmallow

Oh, I read Giovanni's Room in high school, such wonderful imagery. It also meant a lot to me at the time.

I'm not doing much pleasure reading right now. bell hooks care up in a class I took a few years ago, and left an impression. I read Whoopi Goldberg's Book a few times up until a few years ago when I lost it; it was really enjoyable in a lot of ways, kinda similar to David Sedaris, but less caustic.
X sansmerci
Oh, I read Giovanni's Room in high school, such wonderful imagery. It also meant a lot to me at the time.

I'm not doing much pleasure reading right now. bell hooks care up in a class I took a few years ago, and left an impression. I read Whoopi Goldberg's Book a few times up until a few years ago when I lost it; it was really enjoyable in a lot of ways, kinda similar to David Sedaris, but less caustic.

I've heard a lot about Giovanni's Room recently, I think I'm going to read it after the semester ends when I get more free time(cause right now I'm reading 2 books a week + 2-3 short stories... crying homework.). I didn't even know Whoopi Goldberg wrote a book so I will look for it! Thanks for the reply.

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
gHeTtO LaQuEeFaH
YEH MA WELFARE CHECK IS ALL DA READIN I NEED GURL

AND DONT B THINKIN EDUKASHUN GON HELP YO a**

That makes you the smartest modern day ghetto girl ever; the ability to read more than just the numbers. lol
T4NGO
gHeTtO LaQuEeFaH

That makes you the smartest modern day black person ever; the ability to read more than just the numbers. lol

I can't force you not to post but, I would hope that you could please be respectful and not flood this with inappropriate off topic material. I'm not interested in turning this into an argument over inappropriate and perhaps even racists comments. That is why I chose to ignore the first one. So please be respectful and stay on topic or I'd appreciate it if you left the thread. I can't force you but, I can hope you'll be kind enough to respect my wishes.

Romantic Humorist

13,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lady Ravenway
T4NGO
gHeTtO LaQuEeFaH

That makes you the smartest modern day black person ever; the ability to read more than just the numbers. lol

I can't force you not to post but, I would hope that you could please be respectful and not flood this with inappropriate off topic material. I'm not interested in turning this into an argument over inappropriate and perhaps even racists comments. That is why I chose to ignore the first one. So please be respectful and stay on topic or I'd appreciate it if you left the thread. I can't force you but, I can hope you'll be kind enough to respect my wishes.

You ask me to leave yet you quote me to drag me back here.....
On topic though, I don't even read books anymore and when I used to, I don't pay attention to the skin color of the authors, just the stories they write. So I could probably tell you my favorite books, but I can't tell you if they were written by black people or not.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff