Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Fatcat

7,825 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
first off, have you ever seen a white person in real life mention any racial slur towards a black person in the hope to insult them? if not, then why is it if someone tries to fit into black culture that is white, and they use the word ***** (even when other black people use it towards themselves) they are automatically bigoted? i honestly think that blacks are a bit more racist towards whites than the other way around. why? well, many consider this to be an effect of hundreds of years of slavery that blacks are still using in an attempted guilt mission.

and another point; stop calling all black people "african americans." it isn't really politically correct. okay, a large majority of blacks have ancestors that descended from africa. however, unless they have traveled to america from africa themselves, they're just simply black people. i see african americans as a very cultural peoples, living in villages and keeping strong connections with roots. i see black people as just that; black. there is a huge cultural difference.

and at my last point, i would like to state that if there is black history month, why not latino history month? german history month? chinese history month? does america suddenly think, "oh, well, we enslaved these people so we should dedicate a whole month of studying towards them." ? because, honestly i think that's wrong. yes, we cannot undo what our ancestors did to blacks. but should we really try and make it up to them? how about we just keep them in history books and study about them and others altogether?

i would like to state, since i shall probably get a load of crap for this, i am not racist. i am not saying there should not be a large amount of salutes going out to blacks and african americans alike, but i just don't feel the huge necessity to make a month devoted towards that. i am also not trying to be stereotypical over blacks when i mention the, "*****". i feel that people often will fit into stereotypes. once people stop doing something so heavily, i won't mention it. until then, it's still out there. i am also not saying that whites deserve a history month. we learn about so many whites every month, and now most americans just sit on their a** and it mcdonalds. once again, stereotypes fit. step out of them and i'll stop bringing them up. that's not to say that whites haven't accomplished things, too.

what about equality month, hmm? who's to say that blacks have more accomplishments than whites? why does everything even have to be so black and white? where's the grey?

3,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I don't think you're being racist. I grew up in the suburbs so the majority of my friends are white. In 8th and 9th I was at a boarding school with mostly blacks. Now I'm back to the suburbs and since 8th grade and up I've heard the N word used as just another word.

The way I see it, if it's not being used as an insult than why care. My mom tried to explain why, but to me, the reason waas stupid.

I don't care for history, but I do think it would be better served if when learning it you cover all races. Having months, and there is now a Mexican/Spanish history month (found that out from Disney) dedicated to a race just puts more of a distance between the races.

And I hate being called African American, my one friend will say well that's where are ancestors are from, to which I had to inform him that when I traced back some of my family history I found Native American from my mom and dad and Irish from my dad.

Then to my white friend who said it sounded PC, I responded with "than what do you call a black british person?"

Can you guess what she started to say?

tep's Wife

Generous Bear

10,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tipsy 100
not true,
SOME of us are though, most people (blacks and hispanics) think ya'll are most prejudice because one,
Slavery from ansetors and racial slurs.
And yeah we have a month based on the blacks who helped us get to the point where we can't be turned down by the color of our skin.
And black history month in my opinion is the skin tone.

Dangerous Visionary

I don't think you can nor have the right to say what another ethnic group can call themselves. Also yes racism is still alive and well. As proven by the world around you. Maybe you are just too privilege to see it but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Yes you are being racist just not directly. Like most of the people in this forum and its really ugly.

Wheezing Fatcat

7,825 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Miss-dark8607

First off, I wasn't saying that black people cannot call themselves anything. I was making the statement that they call themselves the n-word quite frequently, and yet the suddenly become so offended when a white person directs them as such?

secondly, i never said racism didn't still exist. i was saying that it's not seen as often. i would like to mention that i am not a well privileged person. don't make strong judgments if you don't even know me.

and lastly, i never said that anything i said wasn't racist. i said that i am not a racist, meaning that i do not have a bias prejudice against any ethnic group. on another note, everything i mentioned in the above post were merely observations and points i had to make.

being able to have a voice on these forums is very difficult, but i would like to tell you that i did not write this in the intentions of insulting you. if you were offended, which it appears to be, i'm sorry.

Dangerous Visionary

username has been taken
Miss-dark8607

First off, I wasn't saying that black people cannot call themselves anything. I was making the statement that they call themselves the n-word quite frequently, and yet the suddenly become so offended when a white person directs them as such?

secondly, i never said racism didn't still exist. i was saying that it's not seen as often...

yeah gonna just stop you right there as CONGRATS you prove how overall blind you are to this subject and you need a serious WAKE UP call and since I think you may be smart enough to overcome your current ignorance on why what you are saying is offensive especially on this forum Let's have a look at the recent news when it comes to racism in America and maybe just maybe you will see a pattern.

WS group on trail for bombing a Black leader

Muslism students spied on all throughout the norteast

Asian-Americans in military face routine racial slurs, bullying

Ariz Sheriff being protested by Latinos CNN full story

So yeah calling BULLSHIT on the whole we don't see racism much anymore crap. I'm sorry but as first generation Asian-American I not only see it I ******** experiencing full stop! Nearly everyday from blinded, hurtful, and/or stupid people just because I'm Asian! Maybe you are just lucky enough to not experience it first hand but then again that's what been privileged is all about. I encourage you to do a lot more research on these issues before sprouting this nonsense around. So yes I am still offended really I'm more offended.

Wheezing Fatcat

7,825 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Miss-dark8607

like i said, i'm sorry if you were offended. everyone has their right to opinions, and i was merely expressing what i had witnessed. i truly did not mean to cause any harm to your ethnicity, or your feelings, and once again i apologize.

Dangerous Visionary

username has been taken
Miss-dark8607

like i said, i'm sorry if you were offended. everyone has their right to opinions, and i was merely expressing what i had witnessed. i truly did not mean to cause any harm to your ethnicity, or your feelings, and once again i apologize.

And I like I said you need to step up and really dig deeper. As maybe you'll see why what are saying not just to me but to others is so hurtful. What you may feel your opinion is realistic to people like me it's just more hate speech just the lighter and softer kind. Really it's threads like yours that we need more focus on these months and FYI Blacks aren't the only ones that have a month or even a day as mention like a million times in this form: Have a long look at Wiki

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
I have to agree with 2 and 3. "African American" is inaccurate and racist as it excludes White Africans, not to mention there's no such thing as an "European American".
And most importantly History should be Integrated. Segregating History, in my opinion, it's an acknowledgement that Black people aren't really part of American History, which we all know it's not true. (I'm sorry, a sentence like that got me into an argument with some idiot who didn't understand what I was trying to say)

Wheezing Fatcat

7,825 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Mars_The_Hobo

or that's to say that blacks are better than others so they deserve to have
people dedicate things to then. human history month sounds best.

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
username has been taken

or that's to say that blacks are better than others so they deserve to have
people dedicate things to then. human history month sounds best.

Buh? Okay... I can't discuss serious things late at night.
I never said or implied that Blacks are better than other or that they deserve more than other ethnic groups; in fact I was trying to say the opposite: All Groups (not just black and white) should receive the same treatment. Their Histories valued the same way, their achievements and sins studied unbiased. Acknowledge the injustices towards minorities and Celebrate the achievements of Whites, Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, etc. All in the same History Lesson

Enduring Sex Symbol

8,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Here's something though without this month people wouldn't give a ********, which some people do.
There is a black history and a Latino etc month because this type of people were treated different by the content of there character, similar like Hitler I believe there is a month for Jewish people I think not 100 % sure.
Think about it thought without this month, without any of this conversation it would be the same,
this month is to let further children learn what happen so they can be better than that.
when I was young I thought everyone was the same, even though I had a different skin color than others it seemed to the world was equal and everything is in place, but thing were worse than it seemed.

Wheezing Fatcat

7,825 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
Mars_The_Hobo

oh, no. you misunderstood, darling. I was saying that by creating a
month dedicated to one ethnic group it makes it seem like you are showcasing them.
I wasn't say that you did anything wrong, in fact I was agreeing with you. c:
sorryfor that confusion.

Wheezing Fatcat

7,825 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
II Hyubasa II

but then every race has gone through prejudice.
not many people seem to know this, but hite people were inslaved by
Africans at one point. by seperating race into months it only makes us seem
like totally different peopl, and not one nation anymore. why not American history month?
or better yet, human history month? why are we even seperating races to month?

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
username has been taken
Mars_The_Hobo

oh, no. you misunderstood, darling. I was saying that by creating a
month dedicated to one ethnic group it makes it seem like you are showcasing them.
I wasn't say that you did anything wrong, in fact I was agreeing with you. c:
sorryfor that confusion.

Oh, okay then. I don't make much sense when I'm sleep.
In my opinion, Acknowledging race or ethnicity like the Black History Month is racist, because it segregates rather than integrate

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff