<< < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 >

xX-Stacyx's Wife

Snarky Vermin

49,690 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Hellraiser 500
Pie

Oh, yeah, jamboree makes sense. It's probably that.

Also, ungh. heart I do love a good jazz band. Man, why does Get Lucky work so much better in every genre except the original?

I think it might be the absence of Pharrell Williams that makes the song work. That's the one thing that every cover has in common!

A suggestion for the playlist: Generation Handclap, by Library Voices.

Too slow for the party playlist, but it's rare for me to run across somebody who actually likes jazz, so I might as well take advantage by sharing: Lily Was Here, by Candy Dulfer and Dave Stewart.

No Saint

37,525 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Cheercrusher 50
Pie

Well, a bad event is a dead event, so. Yeah.

I really don't even know if I can get my hopes up for the summer event, given how everything just feels like a let down lately.

Speaking of...

*lets her hair down and goes back into her beach duds*

I've found that lowered expectations are key to enjoying things around Gaia. Actually--it helps in general.

Rock for relevancy: Comin' Up From Behind.

[Edit: by the way, I just got around to listening to Let It Rock with Lil Wayne's bit left in. Good call in using the without version. It's like, "And now for something completely different...that kind of sucks."]

Feral Citizen

Dirty Heads seem to pretty much specialize in laid-back beach music, but Lay Me Down is the only one that doesn't kind of put you to sleep. (Okay, your mileage might vary on that. It's the only one that doesn't put me to sleep, in my admittedly limited experience with the band.) I guess Skindred is more to my reggae-rock taste. And come to think of it, Nobody is pretty accurate for zOmg when you can't get enough people together....

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Bonaduece
Pie

Oh, yeah, jamboree makes sense. It's probably that.

Also, ungh. heart I do love a good jazz band. Man, why does Get Lucky work so much better in every genre except the original?

I think it might be the absence of Pharrell Williams that makes the song work. That's the one thing that every cover has in common!

A suggestion for the playlist: Generation Handclap, by Library Voices.

Too slow for the party playlist, but it's rare for me to run across somebody who actually likes jazz, so I might as well take advantage by sharing: Lily Was Here, by Candy Dulfer and Dave Stewart.

... yeah. You know, you might be right. It just doesn't sound like he takes the song anywhere, if that makes any sense.

Also, I wasn't sure I was sold on Generation Handclap -- my volume was a little low, though, so it sounded kind of mellower than it actually was. It's a fun song, though, and I approve. whee

Are you kidding? Anyone who says they don't like jazz is a liar, I think. And that sax is a great example why. Hnnnnnnnnghghhh.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Glenn Loki
Pie

Well, a bad event is a dead event, so. Yeah.

I really don't even know if I can get my hopes up for the summer event, given how everything just feels like a let down lately.

Speaking of...

*lets her hair down and goes back into her beach duds*

I've found that lowered expectations are key to enjoying things around Gaia. Actually--it helps in general.

Rock for relevancy: Comin' Up From Behind.

[Edit: by the way, I just got around to listening to Let It Rock with Lil Wayne's bit left in. Good call in using the without version. It's like, "And now for something completely different...that kind of sucks."]

Maybe that's why I've been so nostalgic for zOMG! lately. It's from a time when Gaia actually delivered great things. confused

Yesss to the rock. I kinda like the Pink Panther-ish sound in this one. I never remember what those chord shifts are actually called, but I love them. heart

[GOD I KNOW, RIGHT? It's not even so much that it's bad -- though I agree it's worse than the rest of the song -- but it just doesn't belong there. The rest of the song is awesome, it's got this whole karmic thing to it, coming back after a fall with a vengeance... and then Wayne jumps in and is all like HELLO LADIES LET'S HAVE SOME OF THAT SEX WOT :V It just sounds dumb and shallow compared to the rest of the song. No idea what they were thinking.)

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Citizen Jones
Dirty Heads seem to pretty much specialize in laid-back beach music, but Lay Me Down is the only one that doesn't kind of put you to sleep. (Okay, your mileage might vary on that. It's the only one that doesn't put me to sleep, in my admittedly limited experience with the band.) I guess Skindred is more to my reggae-rock taste. And come to think of it, Nobody is pretty accurate for zOmg when you can't get enough people together....

I think that one's actually on my sister's playlist. A little mellow for the playlist, but I still dig it. cool

Also oh god don't even get me started. I miss the days when you could find a crew without having to advertise in the forums and coordinate schedules... emo

xX-Stacyx's Wife

Snarky Vermin

49,690 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Hellraiser 500
Pie

Are you kidding? Anyone who says they don't like jazz is a liar, I think. And that sax is a great example why. Hnnnnnnnnghghhh.

Seriously, I don't have a single friend or family member who wants to listen to jazz with me, or even swing. I understand that different people have different taste; it's not like I enjoy every kind of music. But if Catgroove doesn't make you want to move, there's something left out of you. Oh, well, you just have to accept your friends, flaws and all, if you want them to do the same for you. smile

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Bonaduece
Pie

Seriously, I don't have a single friend or family member who wants to listen to jazz with me, or even swing. I understand that different people have different taste; it's not like I enjoy every kind of music. But if Catgroove doesn't make you want to move, there's something left out of you. Oh, well, you just have to accept your friends, flaws and all, if you want them to do the same for you. smile

That's such a weird thing for me to imagine. I haven't met many people who were big into jazz, but most people I've met have liked it enough to listen with me. Then again, it might be the family I came from; my dad loves all kind of classic music, and sister was a baritone saxophone player for the jazz band all through middle and high school.

I think my personal favorite is always gonna be Bird's Lament.

Ooh, what a fun piece! I love when the synth beat cuts in. I am such a sucker for blended styles, though.

xX-Stacyx's Wife

Snarky Vermin

49,690 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Hellraiser 500
Pie

That's such a weird thing for me to imagine. I haven't met many people who were big into jazz, but most people I've met have liked it enough to listen with me. Then again, it might be the family I came from; my dad loves all kind of classic music, and sister was a baritone saxophone player for the jazz band all through middle and high school.

Ooh, what a fun piece! I love when the synth beat cuts in. I am such a sucker for blended styles, though.

I just wish that one was longer!

My fave is probably always going to be Powerhouse, thanks to Looney Tunes growing up.

Dragging myself back to party music, however: how do you feel about Goldfrapp's Strict Machine?

No Saint

37,525 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Pie
Bonaduece

... yeah. You know, you might be right. It just doesn't sound like he takes the song anywhere, if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense, actually, only I think maybe it's a feature and not a bug. Kind of. In a weird sort of way. I'm very tired and a bit loopy, so this is probably just horseshit that sounds deep right this second, but why not follow along?

The song is about spending all night--probably every night--trying to score casual sex, right? And not to take anything away from casual sex, because sex is awesome, but...well, the hunt for it is pretty much an activity that goes nowhere. I mean, yes, sometimes you score (if you're Pharrell Williams, you probably score a lot), so yay!

...but then it's back out to the club to find the next girl (or guy, or genderqueer, or whatever), as if you'd never left. There's no final goalpost, no threshold of success that's like, "Okay, that's done now; I can find something else to do with my nights." You might find any number of reasons to quit spending your nights trying to get lucky, but the reason will never be because you accomplished your task.

So, in that sense, the fact the original song doesn't build to anything is very appropriate! In a highly meta and probably unintentional way.

Too much thinking palate cleanser: white rappers. Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boys and Top O' The Morning To Ya by House of Pain.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Bonaduece
Pie

I just wish that one was longer!

My fave is probably always going to be Powerhouse, thanks to Looney Tunes growing up.

Dragging myself back to party music, however: how do you feel about Goldfrapp's Strict Machine?

I love the singer. It's hard to explain, but there's a quality to her voice that makes me think of all the great 80s ladies like Blondie and Pat Benatar, you know?

And I love the lyrics and the electric sound. I have been accused of both being a robot and having a kink for machines, so this song speaks to me. emotion_c8

Also hnnnngh that synth. Oh my god what did it even do at 2:42, that's awesome.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Glenn Loki
Pie
Bonaduece

Makes perfect sense, actually, only I think maybe it's a feature and not a bug. Kind of. In a weird sort of way. I'm very tired and a bit loopy, so this is probably just horseshit that sounds deep right this second, but why not follow along?

The song is about spending all night--probably every night--trying to score casual sex, right? And not to take anything away from casual sex, because sex is awesome, but...well, the hunt for it is pretty much an activity that goes nowhere. I mean, yes, sometimes you score (if you're Pharrell Williams, you probably score a lot), so yay!

...but then it's back out to the club to find the next girl (or guy, or genderqueer, or whatever), as if you'd never left. There's no final goalpost, no threshold of success that's like, "Okay, that's done now; I can find something else to do with my nights." You might find any number of reasons to quit spending your nights trying to get lucky, but the reason will never be because you accomplished your task.

So, in that sense, the fact the original song doesn't build to anything is very appropriate! In a highly meta and probably unintentional way.

Too much thinking palate cleanser: white rappers. Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boys and Top O' The Morning To Ya by House of Pain.

Hm. You know, that kind of reminds me of a theory I've heard about Some Nights. For the most part, it's a good song, way better than some of their other songs (I loathe We Are Young -- you know how I say I hate songs that drag? Well, that song DRAAAAAAGS), but then you hit that one line. The one that slides alllllll over the place with autotune, and sounds incredibly fake. Someone pointed out that it matches with the lyrics, "Man, you wouldn't believe the most amazing things that can come from some terrible lies..."

... ... ...

Wait, the lyric is "nights"? All right, yeah, no, they just threw in some unnecessary autotuning in an otherwise perfectly good song.

Ahahaha, oh man, I have not heard Brass Monkey in YEARS. What even happened to the Beastie Boys?

The second I actually have not heard before, my House of Pain knowledge is limited just to... well, y'know. Jump Around. But I have a bit of Irish heritage, so I am thoroughly enjoying this. biggrin

No Saint

37,525 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Pie

Hm. You know, that kind of reminds me of a theory I've heard about Some Nights. For the most part, it's a good song, way better than some of their other songs (I loathe We Are Young -- you know how I say I hate songs that drag? Well, that song DRAAAAAAGS), but then you hit that one line. The one that slides alllllll over the place with autotune, and sounds incredibly fake. Someone pointed out that it matches with the lyrics, "Man, you wouldn't believe the most amazing things that can come from some terrible lies..."

... ... ...

Wait, the lyric is "nights"? All right, yeah, no, they just threw in some unnecessary autotuning in an otherwise perfectly good song.

Ahahaha, oh man, I have not heard Brass Monkey in YEARS. What even happened to the Beastie Boys?

The second I actually have not heard before, my House of Pain knowledge is limited just to... well, y'know. Jump Around. But I have a bit of Irish heritage, so I am thoroughly enjoying this. biggrin

Autotune is used for evil far more often than it is used for good.

I thought the Beastie Boys were probably still around--I remember they had a new album out just a few years ago--but a quick look on Wikipedia reveals that MCA died of cancer just a year after that, so I'm guessing they are done. It just wouldn't be the same without him.

I kind of love House of Pain. They aren't deep thought or anything (Everlast saves that for his solo work, I think) but they always bring the fun. My Irish culture is limited to them and Dropkick Murphys, pretty much.

LabTechX's Waifu

Luminous Fairy

Glenn Loki
Pie

... ... ...

Autotune is used for evil far more often than it is used for good.

I thought the Beastie Boys were probably still around--I remember they had a new album out just a few years ago--but a quick look on Wikipedia reveals that MCA died of cancer just a year after that, so I'm guessing they are done. It just wouldn't be the same without him.

I kind of love House of Pain. They aren't deep thought or anything (Everlast saves that for his solo work, I think) but they always bring the fun. My Irish culture is limited to them and Dropkick Murphys, pretty much.

Honestly, I would be okay if Autotune was reserved for remixed news broadcasts and other things that are not songs.

Really? Uh. Wow. Christ, now I feel bad for asking that. gonk

Also, I'm totally a dingus. I had no idea Everlast was the front man for House of Pain. Shows how much I know about white rap. sweatdrop Also hnnnngh, Dropkick Murphys. You just linked the one I wanted to link as soon as I saw that name! I think when I moved to Boston for college, my sister burned me a mix CD... and Shipping Up To Boston was on it, of course! heart

No Saint

37,525 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Pie

Honestly, I would be okay if Autotune was reserved for remixed news broadcasts and other things that are not songs.

Really? Uh. Wow. Christ, now I feel bad for asking that. gonk

Also, I'm totally a dingus. I had no idea Everlast was the front man for House of Pain. Shows how much I know about white rap. sweatdrop Also hnnnngh, Dropkick Murphys. You just linked the one I wanted to link as soon as I saw that name! I think when I moved to Boston for college, my sister burned me a mix CD... and Shipping Up To Boston was on it, of course! heart

God, yes. Autotune has done nothing good for music, so far as I can tell, but it can be comedy gold. Intentional or otherwise.

One of the many problems with getting older is that everything you love gets older with you. And if those things were older than you to begin with...well. Every year is one year closer to the grave, as Stephen King likes to say about birthdays.

Shipping Up to Boston is the Dropkick Murphys song. biggrin I can't think of another that's even a close second for being so well known. Rose Tattoo, maybe, or Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya, for people familiar with the group. But even people who have never heard of the band know Shipping Up to Boston. I'm pretty fond of the Boys Are Back, though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff