Professional Phantom

Welcome!

Genre: Steampunk/Fantasy, Pirates, Airships
Literacy Level: Literate - Advanced Literate
Inspiration: The Liveship Traders Trilogy by Robin Hobb

: : Profile Thread : OOC Thread : :

Professional Phantom

Introduction:

It’s a steampunk world, where airships rule the skies, taking the place of traditional sea-faring ships. Trade has moved from the sea to the skies, as have the pirates. In this world, there are families known as “Liveship” families. The origin of this name is well known among the families and those that trade with them. Their ships are made of a special kind of wood that makes the ships sentient, living creatures, giving the figureheads of these liveships life. The liveships of the air are kin to certain liveships of the sea, but they are adapted to flight rather than sailing.

One such liveship is the Oracle. This liveship is one of the most magnificent in the air to date. It looks more like a dragon than a ship, but if you look closer you can see the grain of the wood, and the seams of the wooden planks bolted together. Compared to some of the other liveships, Oracle was only recently quickened about one hundred and fifty years ago. Some of the liveships that fly in the air today were refitted from the sea to become airships. In fact, it is said that Oracle is the youngest, and liveliest (no pun intended) of the liveships in the air today.

All liveships are the envy of all of the airships in the sky. They can out-fly any pirate ships, and will sail through rough weather without a moment’s hesitation. They call out when they see danger, and generally try to help run things smoothly onboard. Liveships are aware of everything going on on their decks, but they can only form a strong, mental bond with a member of the family that owns them, because of the quickening process and the blood bond the family shares with the ship.

Oracle is currently tied up at port, and there is a rumor spreading around the port town that the Captain is searching for crew members because of a recent purge of crew members that seemed to be traitors. Oracle is involved in fair, honest trade and it is looking for fair and honest crew members to help sail the rest of the way back to their home port. There is also rumor that the crew members who have been kicked off at this port, are banding together in an attempt to pursue and capture Oracle. Of course this rumor has neither been confirmed nor denied.

This is where you come in. Become a crew member and help with the Oracle’s home journey, or become a rogue and pursue Oracle. Just because liveships can out-fly pirates, doesn’t mean that it’s impossible for pirates to capture it. Oracle won’t give up without a fight, however.

Professional Phantom

Rules:

1. Follow Gaia's ToS as well as Gaia's rules for roleplaying.

2. Only control your characters unless given permission to control another person's character(s).

3. Try to type at least one paragraph for your post (about 10 sentences or so)

4. This is a walk-in RP, meaning everyone is allowed to join, but if you want to take a specific spot (like captain of the pirates) shoot me a PM so I can add you to the crew list.

5. Please be respectful of the other players in the RP.

6. Don't go overboard with the magic powers. Everyone has at least one weakness.

7. Feel free to decorate your posts within reason. No huge pictures. No teeny-tiny fonts. No font colors that are impossible to read. You get the idea. At the very least, include your character's name at the top of each post so that we know which character you're posting as.

8. Post your profiles in the profiles thread.

9. If you want to interact with someone, be sure to quote them so they receive a notification.
It should look something like this:
cadencediscordia
[quote=usernamehere][/quote]

10. Add your own plot twists if you want! I'm open to people changing things up and making them exciting (just don't do something like destroy the ship without asking me first).

Professional Phantom

Profile Skeletons:

Name:
Race:
Biography:
Appearance: (Link to a picture if you use one, or type up a description)
Powers: (Please don’t go overboard with your powers. Also, please leave the healing magic at home.)
Weaknesses: We all have them. Please relate at least one to your character's powers. The rest can be physical limitations, but you must have at least two weaknesses. If you want more, that's fine, but no less than 2.)
Weapons: (Guns are allowed, but be reasonable. No sub-machine guns or anything like that)
Which Crew?: (Oracle or Pirates? Don't forget to add your rank as well, i.e. Captain, Mechanic, Cook etc.)

[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Race[/b]:
[b]Biography[/b]:
[b]Appearance[/b]: (Link to a picture if you use one, or type up a description)
[b]Powers[/b]: (Please don’t go overboard with your powers. Also, please leave the healing magic at home.)
[b]Weaknesses[/b]: We all have them. Please relate at least one to your character's powers. The rest can be physical limitations, but you must have at least two weaknesses. If you want more, that's fine, but no less than 2.)
[b]Weapons[/b]: (Guns are allowed, but be reasonable. No sub-machine guns or anything like that)
[b]Which Crew?[/b]: (Oracle or Pirates? Don't forget to add your rank as well, i.e. Captain, Mechanic, Cook etc.)

Professional Phantom

Oracle Crew

Captain:
      I'll be playing him as an NPC.

Sailmaster:
      Jonas Orvelleos played by Sharpgn22

Mechanic:
      Lucas Starr played by the blue bomber

Cook:
      Salma "Salmon" Fadhoul for a la KISS

Doctor/Medic:
      Tessa 'tinsel' Miles played by OMG its lost heaven

General Crew Members:
      Paisley Rudyard the Captain's daughter played by CadenceDiscordia
      Mynah played by Freestyle Dolphin

Antagonists

The Crew of the Brunhilde

Captain:
      Baron Leopold Von Totenkopf played by Throatwobbler Mangrove

Executive Officer
      Oberst Alban Schirmer ‘Der Scharfrichter’ played by SharpGn22

Pirate Captain
      Katalyn Deemer played by OMG its lost heaven

Pirates

**If you don't see a position that you want, PM me and I'll add it to the list.**

Professional Phantom

The Oracle is currently located at the Eastern port of Denna.They arrived there earlier today, and it's currently nighttime. Most of the crew is in town, enjoying a night off before setting off tomorrow afternoon. Everyone must be back on the ship by noon, or the ship flies without them.

Denna is actually a small "island" with two ports. One port is on the eastern side and one port is on the western side of the island. The Eastern side is where the honest trading air-ships land. The Western port is where the pirates land their airships. As far as we know, Denna is considered a neutral port. Neither side bothers each other very often, but if a fight does break out, both parties involved are generally told to leave and are never welcomed back. Denna is supposed to be a safe haven for everyone.

The Oracle is currently in the air heading toward the new port of Wynds. Wynds is a large trade port, and the captain is looking forward to expanding his trading horizons. Unfortunately, it seems the Brunhilde is following not far behind the Oracle.

Time: Mid-day
Weather: Currently clear skies, with a slight breeze.
Temperature: 73 F / 23 C

Professional Phantom

Professional Phantom

Professional Phantom

Professional Phantom

Professional Phantom

Professional Phantom

Paisley Rudyard

User Image
              At first glance the Oracle looked like a giant dragon sitting at the port, wings and all. In reality, the airship was built to look like a dragon, something Paisley’s family had commissioned many years ago. Truth be told, there was something much more interesting about the ship, other than its shape. The ship was made of a special wood, wood that contained special properties that made the ship a sentient being, meaning the ship could think, feel, and move its wings; the figurehead could talk. The ship also had four legs upon which to rest when it wasn’t in the air and when it was tied up at port. The wood the ship was made from normally took on a silver hue, but now that the ship had been quickened (a process that Paisley was glad she had never had to witness), the ship had taken on a deep, royal blue hue that glinted metallically in the sun, almost as if the ship were actually made of metal. Then again, this wood was so strong that it might as well have been metal.

From what Paisley had heard, the quickening process was different, to say the least. Three generations of her family (her great-grandfather, her great-grandfather’s father, and her great-great-grandfather’s mother) had to die on the ship, giving the ship their memories and souls. Once her great-grandfather died on the decks of the ship, the quickening process was finished and the ship had come alive moments later. Paisley had heard that the quickening of the ship, and the coloring of the ship, had been a sight to see. The color started at the tip of the dragon’s nose and spread slowly until the entire ship had been tinted the blueish hue it was today.

Another peculiar thing about this kind of ship was that it wouldn’t fly without a family member aboard, hence why Paisley was on board now. She wasn’t the captain, that was her father’s position, but he had taken her onboard to teach her the ways of flying a ship such as this in the vast skies. Not to mention, Paisley was the family’s only child. Paisley’s parents had tried to have more children, but the first two were miscarriages, then Paisley was born, followed by one more miscarriage. The last miscarriage was the hardest, because, not only did they lose the child that could have been a son and heir to the ship, Paisley’s mother grew sick and feeble and eventually she gave up the fight with life a year later.

Now Paisley was the only child that her family had, and her father felt the need to teach her everything with regards to flying the ship as well as everything with regards to the business. She would eventually inherit his estate and money, as well as her mother’s small fortune that she had brought into the marriage. He was going to make Paisley his pride and she would eventually become the Captain of the Oracle. A lot rested on her shoulders, and sometimes Paisley felt weighed down.

Tonight, they were in port. It was a clear night, the stars were bright, and the some of the crew was off doing what they do best while in port. Paisley, however, was sitting on the deck, her back against the figurehead with a sigh. “I just don’t know… Sometimes I think that all of this is worth it, but sometimes I wonder if the pressure of Captaining you will end up being too much.” She closed her eyes, thinking of all the things she was missing. She was still young, too young to be cooped up on the ship. But at the same time, she enjoyed it. The ship was her home, and she wasn’t sure she would change it if she had the option to.

The figure head laughed a very quiet laugh, almost too soft to hear, but Paisley could feel the laugh deep within her, thanks to the bond she had with the ship. “You still have quite a few years before your father hands the ship over to you. Don’t worry yourself, just learn what needs to be learned first.” The dragon’s head was turned just enough that Paisley could see a broad grin stretching across his features. Paisley couldn’t help but smile, and she stood, facing out toward the port town they had stopped at. She had spent quite a few years of her life on this ship, her father teaching her everything he could. Despite that, she still felt under-equipped to take over the title of captain when the time came. Hopefully she wouldn't be taking over that title any time soon, though.

“Thanks for the advice.” She smiled and rested a hand on the side of the figurehead’s neck, feeling the thrum of the living wood beneath her skin. The feeling was something she actually found amazing, almost intoxicating. She wondered how her father resisted the urge to stay like this all day. The feeling of sharing everything with the ship was something both violating and mutual. She had to be careful not to lose herself in the feelings and memories of the ship.
Jonas Orvelleos

User Image
Along the pier beside The Oracle, a cold voice snapped aloud,

“You assume I know not what I speak of?” Jonas’ gaze was particularly unkind, and shared an icy chill as did is voice. He was not in the mood, with the recent rebellious behaviors of the crewmen, and the ultimate purge of a good portion of men from the ship. Gazing down at the Foreman, he continued,
“In case you were unawares, I am the Sail Master of this ship – I am knowledgeable of the displacement of The Oracle. You will continue to load what I have asked, or you will not receive a single coin of payment.”

With a shake of his head, he turned away and moved a few paces, his thoughts running calculations. He found that, indeed, he was right, and the Dock Foreman had miscalculated. It would be close, but it was exactly what would be needed, should the crew leaving tomorrow morning be at able capacities.

This was not the first voyage Jonas would take as Sail master, and he had high doubts it would be his last. The anticipation many felt prior to going underway was a memory to him. He looked forward to it, and did not care so much for the liberties to be had in the small port town before him. His eyes scanned the people moving about and working at the piers. He did not know what he was looking for.

Professional Phantom

Paisley Rudyard

User Image
              Paisley remained where she was for quite some time, eyes closed as the cool air flowed around her in a light breeze. The figurehead fell silent as well, unmoving as it seemed to revel in the joy of being so connected with one person. While the ship was connected with Paisley’s father on a deep level, there was a different relationship between Paisley and the Oracle. Ever since she was a baby, the ship had been especially fond of her. It had soothed her when she was fussy on the ship, sending waves of calm to her through their emotional and mental connection. While the other members of the crew bonded with the ship as well, their bond was nothing like her own. They could only converse with the figurehead and learn the ship’s quirks when it came to sailing the skies.

“I think there’s a problem on the pier… The figurehead nodded in Jonas’ direction. Paisley’s eyes shot open, relinquishing the enjoyment and pleasure she had been reveling in only moments before. Her gaze shifted toward the pier where Jonas’ voice seemed to be elevated. He had been a little more on edge since the purge of her father’s crew before their arrival at Denna. There had been quite an uproar on the ship when her father discovered the rebellious plot being developed among a group of his crewmen. There had been rumors that they had plotted to kill both the captain and Paisley, but no one had confessed to anything quite that traitorous. Mostly it had come down to disappearance of cargo and the payment for that cargo at other port towns along their path to Denna.

While most of the traitors had been new to his ship in the last year or two, there were two that Captain Rudyard considered seasoned veterans of the Oracle. One of whom had served on the ship for close to ten years prior. Captain Rudyard had executed both veterans on the deck of the Oracle to set an example. He had also explained to Paisley that the execution was justified simply to keep valuable information about the ship out of the hands of pirates. A traitorous mouth bares all secrets, her father had told her, stating that as justification for the executions.

That was, perhaps, one of the most difficult parts of becoming captain that Paisley wasn’t sure she would ever be ready for. When the time was came, would she be able to execute someone for the sake of saving the ship? She had no idea, and she hoped she would never have to face that option.

“I’ll go see what’s going on…” Paisley patted the figurehead’s neck before making her way to the gangplank. “Is there a problem here, Jonas?” She stepped onto the pier and walked over to where Jonas was standing, eyeing the transaction that was taking place. “Do I need to retrieve my father from his quarters?”

sharpgn22
Jonas Orvelleos

User Image

“Southern Lands are a softer, kinder place, and can stand the likes of you.” The voice, and sneer that came with it, were a distant, distasteful, memory.

Jonas had a distinct frown. Was he in distant thought, or was he filled with a misery? Glancing down, the Sail Master noted his notebook and pen floating before him. His power of Telekinesis was considered rudimentary in the Northern holds of Asgard, but here it proved useful.

Scribbling away a few notes and calculations, Jonas felt the small hairs on the nape of his neck rise, just before Paisley spoke. Snapping the notebook shut and tucking it away, he unconsciously pulled and straightened his Obsidian-colored overcoat, and then turned.

“There will be no need of the Captain for this matter, miss Paisley. The Dock’s Foreman was incorrect in his assumptions to the displacement of The Oracle. I’ve reminded him of his misunderstanding and urged progress. Should you see the Captain before Light’s Out, I’d have you give him a report that adequate provisions for the crew amount he preferred are being loaded as we speak…” with those words, he glanced beyond the young woman to the dock workers, and verified the progress. They were indeed doing what he asked of them – excellent.

“Do you have any progress to acquiring new crewmen?”
The question was stiff; Jonas did not like to think on the situation caused by the traitors. In his mind, he applauded the Captain for his actions, though he would have like to punish several others.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff