Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Genius

User Image

User Image
Current Location: Amick District
Speaking With: Vorlander Solaris

"Any service you have done for me in the past does not overrule the crimes you have committed. The scales of justice are hardly teetering evenly in your case. Yes, you have done some good things for us... But when it comes to the scales of justice, crime simply weighs more." Kain could only see one other solution... But it required being dealt with delicately.

However, there was an easy way to do it quickly as well... A simple question would set the premise, give him the answer he needed, and allow him to carry out everything he had just decided on for Vorlander. It was going to be easy to carry out, whether Vorlander liked it or not... So Kain asked, "Vorlander, do you have any financial debts left to pay off?"

Interesting Businessman

User Image

User Image
Current Location: Amick
Speaking With: Kain, Bethany

“Kain. Don’t even try it. I know what you’re doing and I will not let you manipulate me.”

He narrowed his eyes at Kain and then decided he would remind him of something, “I have here a list of names of all of the contacts I have in the underworld and in the Port. I will give this to you on one condition, drop this witch hunt and stop trying to fight me. This paper has enough information on it to make sure you will never need to worry about the underworld markets again. And it should give you enough leverage on Slade to discuss new terms. Remember, I control a majority of your city’s construction contracts and most of the businesses needed to run the city. I could just as easily bankrupt you instead of Slade. I will not be intimidated by threats of imprisonment.” He held up the piece of paper with all of the names on it taunting Kain with it.

He had contacts in the dungeons for just that purpose. If Kain really wanted to go through with this he was going to make himself an enemy extraordinarily fast. Vorlander liked Kain, but he liked freedom and profit more, and if it came down to it, Kain would lose Vorlander’s allegiance.

He held out the piece of paper to Kain, “Make your choice my Lord. But just remember, you let Kostro live and did nothing against him, even though he served Slade before turning sides. You let him help you summon Death, even though he could have easily tricked you and unleashed a King of Hell on you. ”

Dangerous Genius

User Image
User Image

Current Location: The Port
Speaking With: None (Waiting for Slade's meeting to begin)

She pet the young boys hair as he ate, her fingers affectionately untangling his blonde locks. "I hope you know I'm not a bad person." She said to him. "Mother and father abandoned me when I was only slightly older than you. I was their daughter and they did not love me the way they should have. They did not love me at all. It was only a matter of time before they hurt you as well." Of course, Evelyn truly believed this. She had no illusions that she was good... She knew exactly what she was. She was a sadistic slut who would gladly ******** every man and woman in the world... And she was content with knowing that.

But her own parents had driven her to that. An innocent girl is what she was before they banished her. Who was more evil? Her, for being what she was? Or her parents, for making her this way? She received a note from a messenger, read it, and stood. "I will be back soon to play with you, baby brother."

The boy had not spoken since Evelyn had killed their parents. He had said nothing to anyone. But he had began eating, which was a start. "Give him any luxury that you could possibly imagine a child his age would want." She said to one of the Maesters, grazing his c**k with her fingertips as she walked passed him. Though he was just a healer within Slade's court, Maesters were also practiced philosophers and scholars... He was bound to know a thing or two about what children liked. "Make sure he knows they are gifts from me."

Hopefully this would get him speaking... She needed him to talk if she ever hoped to persuade him to see things her way.

With no other word, she kissed her brother on the back of the head and headed into Slade's meeting, where she took her seat and waited for other's to show.

Dangerous Genius

User Image

User Image

"Vorlander. You clearly do not know what I am driving at." It was said plainly, but Kain's eyes were stony. He did not like Vorlander taunting him with the piece of paper. Kain wanted to get his hands on it. To put a stop to underground dealing, blackmarkets, and smuggling. It would place him in the history books. But... he hardly cared about his reputation more than the safety of his people.

He sat up in his seat and took his wife's hand in his own. "Vorlander... I have no intention of tossing you into a prison cell." He stared at him and tilted his head to the side slightly. "I did earlier. Before you spoke... But now, I have something else in mind. And if you would rather be in a prison cell than answer my question, so be it." He kissed Bethany's hand and stood from his seat, both hands against his desk, leaning over to stare Vorlander directly in the face. Their eyes met and Kain's tried to stare beyond the yellow man in front of him. They tried to see more than just fear... They tried to see intention.

"Or... You can answer the question." He leaned an inch closer. "Do you have any financial debts left to pay off."

Questing Sex Symbol

User Image
Bethany Ecanis

Bethany had suppressed a chill from shaking up her spine once the deed was done. The letters that had seeped into her skin made it all the more real. She was only glad that the man beside her had not snapped and signed the contract himself. The lady sat back in her seat with her arms crossed, displeased with the way in which Vorlander spoke and held this paper over them. With that mere mention of it in such a way, she would not have it at all and rather toss it into the flames. His answer made her laugh.

Mentally, of course, she wouldn't let slip any of her feelings in this when it was between him and Kain. She had her opinion on the matter already, it wasn't hard for her to form when she had half of it since meeting the man long ago, and only Kain knew it--Angeline had been mostly replaced for her venting. She had decided she would leave it up to Kain to decide what to do with the man ultimately, even if she could only see one acceptable thing to be done with him. She thought Kain much better at thinking these things through than her, so long as he took in what she thought, she would generally go with what he wanted.

There were a few stances she stubbornly refused to move from, however, and Vorlander was lucky he faced Kain. Her hand laced with his, but they slipped away from his lips. She watched as he moved closer to demand the proper answer, getting to the edge of her seat in the anticipation.

in Amick District with Vorlander Solaris & Kain

Interesting Businessman

User Image

User Image

Vorlander still didn’t trust Kain’s question but he would answer honestly. “Kain I’m almost insulted that you would ask. As a principal I never have debt, people are in debt to me.

That was true, ever since he had begun his little enterprise he had made sure he was never indebted to anyone save himself. He refused to be at the mercy of another, although he would more than happily take on people who owed him. It gave him further control of the situation.

But Kain… Kain was an enigma, the boy had forgotten that he owed practically everythin
g to Vorlander, who was it that had pulled his family from the brink? Who was it that had helped the boy recover what he had lost, who was it that had helped him construct a city the size of which had never before been seen. He may cause Kain to squirm a little out of spite…

But for now, he would wait.

Dangerous Genius

User Image

User Image

"Good." Kain smiled and sat down once more, his eyes still staring at Vorlander. "I'm pleased to hear that." He began writing, continuing to speak as his hand jotted down words on a piece of paper. "From this moment on, if you wish to stay out of a prison cell, you will share control of all your masonry and building companies with the Ecanis family. A fifty-fifty split of control. You can do nothing unless Bethany or myself agrees to it first.

"In addition, I am going to order that seventy percent of all your earnings henceforth are to be divided evenly among the Families. You were making money off of the illegal activities that we were paying to end... Gold and lives were lost to stop something that you were secretly controlling behind our backs." His hand was flying about as fast as he was speaking... "Crime may be down, but it still exists, and it has resulted in the deaths of many of my men... For that, you are responsible. So you will pay seventy percent to compensate for all the gold you have cost us. You may keep thirty percent from yourself.

"I will also assign three people to you. Seeing as you have openly admitted to having a power that takes the souls of those who break their bindings, I feel the need to keep an eye on that power. I will assign three people to watch you, to ensure that you do not make such deals without us knowing about it. They will personally report to me."
Kain already knew who to assign, knowing full well that they would remain perfectly loyal. They would not be swayed by Vorlander.

"I trust you understand that this is not personal. You swore you allegiance to me a long time ago, and then I found out you were part of the force the Families have been losing lives to for many years. Because of your lies, I am making sure that you never become richer than The Families. I can never allow you to gain the means to overtake us. Not that I believe you would... But neither did I believe you were spearheading all the black markets on the east coast."

Kain held up the piece of paper and began reading it for both Bethany and Vorlander to hear. "I, Vorlander Solaris, agree to share seventy percent of all my future earnings with The Families. Thirty percent is to be kept for myself to do with as I please, while the Families divide the remaining amount among themselves.

"I also acknowledge that I am not to make any soul binding deals without either Kain Ecanis' or Bethany Ecanis' knowledge. I also agree to either put an end to all black markets under my control, or I agree to use the money earned from said markets to build schools, barracks, and help raise armies for The Families of Power. These Families of Power include House Ecanis, House Drake (both Serith based and Lusca based), and House Dorian.

"If I keep any of my funds secret, it is a direct violation of this contract. If I forge any soul binding deals in secret, it is a direct violation of this contract. If I use my illegal earnings to fund anything that is not sanctioned by the aforementioned Families of Power, it is a direct violation of this contract. If I use any of my influence to stall, stop, cripple, or crush the economy of any city that is under the control of The Families of Power, it is a direct violation of this contract."

Kain put the contract down and slid it across the desk to Vorlander. "Sign it... With that soul binding power you possess. Sign it or end up in a cell in my dungeon." This was a cause that Kain was willing to risk his soul for. Bethany may have tied hers to a deal she shouldn't have to save Kain, but Kain was going to place his soul on the line to make sure that Vorlander never became a political or financial tyrant. The war was just starting to look like it was taking a turn for the better, save for the loss of Dorian...

Kain would not risk killing Slade just so they would find themselves up against another tyrant... Namely, Vorlander. If Vorlander did choose the prison cell, Kain would see to it that his new friends kept Vorlander locked away.

Interesting Businessman

User Image

User Image

Your deal won’t work Kain. As much as I agree to the terms, you have to put something on the line as well. In this deal, I am the only one doing anything, my power won’t work. It requires a sacrifice of both parties, not just one, the power is great, but it is fair, it understands the deals I make. Also, I have businesses that have long existed in Cavandia before I even came here. They are not included in this deal, I spent decades developing them, I am not going to lose all my work because of a different continent. Also, you are going to hedge in on the other Families, I have masonry and construction companies in other places besides Amick and LaMarche. I will sign contracts with the Families there, but I will not allow you to become the most powerful Family by signing over fifty percent. I have a board of directors with my company, I will give you both a seat on it, but to give you almost half of my empire to you will destabilize the entire economy.”

Kain's attempt was admirable, making a deal that only favored Kain. Vorlander had tried to do the same exact thing Kain was doing before, and the power had simply faded, nothing had happened. A deal of the magnitude he could create required a sacrifice from both parties, something that both of them had to adhere to or the deal simply was paper.

Your terms are perfectly agreeable to me, but you must put something on the line. I literally cannot use my power if I wanted to with the deal Kain. Let us discuss this further, otherwise you might as well put me in the cell, because my signature will just be ink, not soul.

He had a few idea about what Kain could offer him, but he would see if Kain could come to the understanding himself. He was impressed with the boy, seventy percent of all earnings to the Families starting now. His current wealth was still more than enough to finance anything he wanted to.

Dangerous Genius

User Image

User Image

"Very well." Kain seemed to only have one choice. If Vorlander truly was unable to draw on his power unless Kain sacrificed something as well, then that is what Kain would do. He jotted down a paragraph more below what he had written. He looked it over several times until he decided he was content with it.

It seemed more than fair. It was something he should not have been giving Vorlander. It was something Vorlander did not deserve. It granted Vorlander a minimal amount of power, but it also held quite a large potential for wealth. Kain held the contract back up and read the part he had just added. "House Ecanis agrees to grant Vorlander Solaris a seat among their council. In addition, Vorlander Solaris is also bequeathed with the task of replenishing The Forest of Elaine, as well as establishing contact and relations with the Elder Councils of Cavandian Cities."

It gave Vorlander a very, very low amount of power. Especially since Cavandia was led by democracy. The Elder Councils could not rightfully carry out any deals with Vorlander without first putting the terms to vote by the people of their city. The Forest of Elaine was likely to take several years to even become a shadow of what it once was. And adding Vorlander to the council served more than one purpose.

"If any member of the Ecanis Family takes Vorlander Solaris' positions without first stating their reason and giving Vorlander Solaris a chance to explain himself, it is a violation of this contract, and Kain Ecanis' soul is forfeited to Vorlander Solaris to use as he sees fit. If Kain Ecanis himself should violate this contract, this contract acts as a will, signing over his Lordship to Vorlander Solaris." ... Kain had no intention of breaking this contract... It seemed perfectly reasonable.

Kain read it over once more, slid it back to Vorlander. "Will that suffice?"

Akikko's Queen

Royal Paradox

User Image

User Image

L O C A T I O N ⋮ Lakeshore (Fae and Slevin's home)
W I T H⋮ Fae Maridan and Slevin Acaelus

"One," Kiss. "two," Kiss. "three..."

Andraste counted each of Magdalene's little fingers and toes, ending each number with a kiss. It was hard not to smother her daughter in hugs and kisses. She liked to see her smile, mostly. Magdalene had a smile so much like her father's. Not to mention her very first tooth, the one that had kept Andraste up all the past night in attempts to sooth the infant.

"You're perfect, Magdalene LeCarde. Don't you ever let a soul tell you otherwise." Draste scooped her drowsy baby off of her bed and crossed the room slowly, moving a thin curtain away from Magdalene's cradle so she could lay her down. She didn't leave the room before kissing her and telling her she loved her at least twice more. She just didn't feel she could say it enough. She didn't want Magdalene to go a second with doubt that she was loved.

There would always be love in the world for her child, of that, she was absolutely sure.

"Quit it!" Fae's laughter bubbled from out of the kitchen. "Slevin, you're going to get burned if you don't- stop tickling me!"

"Shh! Magdalene's finally asleep." Draste chided as she stole one of Fae's apples from the basket on the table. Fae continued to giggle as she pushed Slevin off of her.

"Yeah, Slev. Maggie!" Fae snorted, throwing herself into another fit of laughter.

"Slevin," Andraste ignored Fae. "what did you say to Magdalene? The other day, in the living room, when you picked her up... what did you say?"

Dangerous Genius

User Image
User Image

User Image
Current Location: Lakeshore (Home)
Speaking With: Andraste Trelane & Fae Maridan

"I told her the kiss was from her father." Slevin said plainly. He had hoped to avoid this talk for... well, forever. But Andraste was bringing it up and Slevin could not avoid it. She deserved an answer. "He was in the yard, watching. He wanted to see his daughter, but he couldn't come inside. He's currently dealing with something that he thinks is stopping him." He wasn't about to tell Andraste that Kelevra was going to show up once day anyway. He couldn't tell her that he was coming back...

... Because the future could change. Even though Slevin had seen it happening, things weren't set in stone. Slevin was not about to make a promise to her that keeping was beyond his power. All he could do was tell her that Kelevra had been there. That he had needed to see his child. "He was here. Because of you and Maggie. Whether he can admit it yet or not, he loves you. I'm sure of it."

Interesting Businessman

User Image

User Image

“Perfectly.

He made sure the modifications that they had just discussed were indeed present and then gathered his will over the Conduit and signed the contract, the gold ink sinking into the page and giving the letters a distinctive sheen. He held it out to Kain and waited for the man to sign it, once he did they would be bound to each other.

He was satisfied with how Kain had worded it, and how much he had left out. The people of Drathia really needed to learn specificity in contracts. Did he not just say ambiguity served the signer, not the writer of the contract.

When he got back to his offices, he was going to have to take further steps to keep Kain from ever finding out about his less than legal activities. "I see this as the first step in a new relationship"

Dangerous Genius

User Image

User Image

"A new relationship." Kain wrote down his own signature and the deal was struck. The letters did what they had before with Bethany. Glowing gold and seeping into both the skin of Vorlander and of Kain. It felt odd, as if something was constantly vibrating against his bones... Then it slowly began to fade. "I only hope I can trust you this time." Kain didn't count on it though.

The contract was worded very carefully. It was short, to the point, and very, very vague. Vorlander had said that ambiguity favored the signer, and Kain had counted on Vorlander believing that. Because Kain didn't, and this was an example of that. There was part of the contract that Vorlander could easily interpret his own way... But then there was another part of it that was worded in such a way that Kain could destroy Vorlander if it was interpreted freely, rather than simply by what was implied.

"Those tasked to follow you will be sent for... Once I have spoke with them, I will send them to you. Until then, I am going to have to ask you to leave." Kain jotted down a quick note and handed it to a very specific steward. "You know where to send this." The woman nodded and left the room...

... A few seconds later, Kain figured that the letter had already found it's way into Ariel's hands. The Chantry seemed to be increasingly quick with communication.

Interesting Businessman

User Image

User Image
Speaking With: No One

Vorlander nodded and he felt the Suppression leave the room, Kain was done with him. He vanished as he teleported from the room and reappeared in his Amick Office. He sat in his office and reviewed the deal that he had just made with Kain, this was going to limit what he was capable of by a slight amount.

While he was limited by the contract with his illegal dealings, he was glad Kain had let him keep the finances he earned through Cavandia. Through clever dealing and paperwork he could insure the illegal money became perfectly legitimate in Cavandia, nullifying that part of the contract. He only had to give seventy percent of profits from Drathia, which is exactly what he would do. Of course the books would have to be modified but it was easily doable.

The Forest of Elaine would take some considerable effort however, it was almost impossible for it to ever return to what it once was, but he could definitely go about it. He also knew for a fact there were gold and silver veins running underneath the Forest, it would be easy to set up mines underneath there and reap the benefits.

As for keeping the funds secret, the books would be completely open to Kain and Bethany under specific circumstances, meaning they would have to go through a maze of paperwork and signatures to get to them. Even then it would be for a limited time.

He wrote notes for some time and then sent a letter to Merriec informing him that his lessons resumed tomorrow at first light. He also decided it was time to build a facility for himself, somewhere Kain would never get to or be able to find. He would speak with an architect tomorrow. Finally, he wrote a note to Finn with only one sentence, "I know who you are."

Smiling to himself he waited for the inevitable to occur.

Dangerous Genius

User Image

User Image

Finn burst into Vorlander's office, two sentries protesting up until the point where Finn slammed the door in their face. He wasn't about to wait for them to announce him. Vorlander knew he was coming. It had been his plan. Finn spun on his heel and faced the man, placing both hands against Vorlander's desk. "You know who I am. You told Slade I'm alive." Which meant Slade likely knew of Aliza as well. "I want to know."

He placed his hands on the desk, knowing full well that Vorlander would not give away the information freely. Finn had been searching over a year for the answers that Vorlander was now claiming to have. There was no denying it was important to Finn... Finn simply could not hide that. Bargaining was going to be his best option, so long as the price was fair. "Tell me..."

He waited for Vorlander's rebuttal. If anything went sour, there was a precaution in place. Finn had not come to Vorlander without first sending Aliza to show Aine and Kain the note Vorlander had sent to him.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff