Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Genius

User Image

"This isn't just another dream." tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab
tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab "It's too real."
"This isn't just another game." tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab
tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab "It's too real."
"This isn't the world as you know it." - tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab

"It's Ethestria."

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

tab We have information telling us that you survived the supposed, "death game," Sword Art Online. We understand that you may still be suffering from the traumatic event, however we need your expertise to help us. On behalf of our company, we would like to welcome you to Ethestria, the next generation Virtual Reality Massive Multiplayer Game. At the moment, the game isn't yet prepared for full release, due to a problem we are having. We cannot give you the full details, instead, we would like you to enter this world and save it from its current fate.

Sincerely,

Clouded Fates Studio

Dangerous Genius

What is The World of Ethestria as a Roleplay?

tab Now, some of you might be wondering this after seeing the mention of Sword Art Online, 'Is this another Sword Art Online disasters where we're all trapped in a video game?' To answer that simply, no. This is based on about a year after the Light Novel's Alicization arc, which for your information is the best arc. As a result, there is a bit of spoiler with regards to Sword Art Online, since the anime hasn't even gotten to mentioning Alicization yet. What this means is that, if you're just infatuated with the anime and don't want to spoil what will happen in it later, you should stop looking now. That's because I'm going to be using some of their techs and blatantly spill the beans early. As you've been warned, don't come complaining about how I ruined things for you. Now, moving on some of you might be asking next:

"But Kami, I don't like SAO, or I haven't seen it, should I pass on this?"

Not at all, SAO is used as an inspiration and backstory, but at its heart, this is a roleplay with two sides. One side is your standard fantasy roleplay, the other is of people in our world caught in a strange land that just happens to be where the fantasy roleplay is.

Genre: Fantasy with some post-modern elements for the lead in.
      Created by: K4M1-kun
      Assistance from: Xaven the Raven
      Literacy: semi-literate to literate, by my definition
      Artwork by: ThrieTheTiger, LayDeDeadpool, I r o n e e, Lady Yuuki Syth, fuadgerm, and likely a few more...
      Status: Open and Accepting only inhabitants for the time being.
      Inspiration from: Sword Art Online (light novel) and Norse Cosmology

Table of Contents:
      Rules
      Profile Skeleton
      Setting
      The Inhabitants
      Timeline
      tab History & Culture
      Chival Orders & Other Groups
      tab Everyday magic in Almoria
      tab Combat and Warfare
      Key Features of Ethestria
      Banners
      tab Affiliations
      The Characters
      tab NPCs
      Reserved
      Reserved
      Reserved

Links: tab tab
OOC tab tab
Profile tab tab

The Current State of Ethestria ( Summer of 700 A.E. )
Will be update as story continues.

Things in Ethestria are currently tense. As always, Eht is pushing, forcibly, for the reinstatement of Underwalt governance. However, the two biggest powerhouses in the political arena, Malastis Arcana and the Svedki Legion, have been recently getting into skirmishes as they search western Midgar for something

User Image

Dangerous Genius

Rules:
Co-Mod: Xaven the Raven

1. I'll only say this once. This is a semi-literate to literate role play, by my standards. If you only ever post using 'web speak' or some other... illiterate... form like that, then just get out of here right now. Literacy to me, at least, means you can use proper English, as well as using periods and commas where they should go. End of subject. Some other things about posting:
-You should have at least four sentences minimum. If you have writer's block, fine, but don't make it a habit.
-Try not to go over ten paragraphs, it's not a novel, it's a role play.
-Posting speed. I know people like to post fast, but not everyone can post fifty posts in one day. When people get left behind in posting they tend to quit so try not to go too fast.
-Lastly, try not to take forever, as in not posting for days or weeks, I want active role players. Not to mention if you're role playing with someone and just go missing, you're preventing them from posting too, try not to leave others hanging.
-Remember, quality posts please.~

2. I'll say this part again: It's a role play. Which means don't try to only be a saint or a suicidal maniac. Simply put, if I feel that your character is a Mary Sue or Gary Stew, they're gone, that means I can remove them even after I have accepted them. Moving on, three sounds like a nice number right? That's the max number of characters then.

3. Since this is a role play, that means there are also the no no's. Here are some no no's:
-No breaking the Gaia rules~ that goes for here and the OOC...
-No Godmodding~ that includes me and the co-mods.
-No Cybering~ you can take that else were...
-No posting crappy looking posts or I'll just delete it. AKA, no web speak and no asterisk unless they are for censorship.
-No completely OOC posts~ there is an OOC for that purpose.
-DO NOT post your character profile on this rp, send it to me in a pm with the key phrase "Game Start" as the title.

4. I don't care, but I would really like it if your posts have a little color. I don't exactly like reading five paragraphs of plain black text. That's all.

5. This is intended to be a long term rp. If you're suddenly going to quit, please notify me at once. If you aren't here for the long term, don't bother joining. I am very understanding to people's reasons for quitting and it leaves a bad taste when someone just ups and quits without a word. If you know, or even think, that you'll be gone for a long time, send me a heads up, so that I am able to let others you're rping with know.

6. It is encouraged to evolve throughout the World of Ethestria and as such, adding changes to your character profile over that time should reflect that change. Just make sure to pm me or a mod the changes you are going to make and await approval on them before you add it. Failure to heed this can result in expulsion.

7. You're not required to be a combatant or fight, though keep in mind that this is a world in which most races are on the brink of war. However, as long as you stay involved with the rp you can let your mind wander just so long as you make sure not to over power your character. Remember, everyone has their own weaknesses.

8. Most importantly of all, have fun.

9. There is no nine, but I can make one if I ever feel like it. So, pay attention to the rules. Questions? Comments? Pm a mod or post in the OOC.

Dangerous Genius

Profile Skeleton:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Name :: Age :: Diver/Inhabitant

User Image
                  You can call me: (nickname)
                  My origins: (race, though divers can only be either Demear or Caelum)
                  Last time I checked I am a: (gender)
                  I was told that I was born: (Asgard, Almoria, Midgar, Ithis, Carthas, Terramina, Underwalt, or Desparia. Divers come from Midgar)
                  I work hard as: (profession, divers don't start with one)
                  Often described as: (personality)
                  What I see in the mirror: (appearance or features not visible in the picture)
                  My past was like: (background)
                  I hope to accomplish: (goals)
                  I'm apart of the: (faction if apart of one)
                  What draws me in: (likes)
                  What pushes me back: (dislikes)
                  What makes me cower: (absolute fears)
                  Where I stand in battle: (frontline, ranger, spellcaster if multiple, describe well)
                  I fight best with: (weapon(s), divers start with none)
                  Inventory: (Divers start with nothing except very simple clothing)
                  Other:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Username, Posting Color(s)

[size=15][align=right][u][color=white]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color] [color=color]Name :: Age :: Diver/Inhabitant[/color][/u][/align][/size]

[url=Put the full sized picture url here][imgleft]100x100 picture[/imgleft][/url][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][size=10][color=postingcolor][b]You can call me:[/b][/color] (nickname)
[color=postingcolor][b]My origins:[/b][/color] (race, though divers can only be either Demear or Caelum)
[color=postingcolor][b]Last time I checked I am a:[/b][/color] (gender)
[color=postingcolor][b]I was told that I was born:[/b][/color] (Asgard, Almoria, Midgar, Ithis, Carthas, Terramina, Underwalt, or Desparia. Divers come from Midgar)
[color=postingcolor][b]I work hard as:[/b][/color] (profession)
[color=postingcolor][b]Often described as:[/b][/color] (personality)
[color=postingcolor][b]What I see in the mirror:[/b][/color] (appearance or features not visible in the picture)
[color=postingcolor][b]My past was like:[/b][/color] (background)
[color=postingcolor][b]I hope to accomplish:[/b][/color] (goals)
[color=postingcolor][b]I'm apart of the:[/b][/color] (faction if apart of one)
[color=postingcolor][b]What draws me in:[/b][/color] (likes)
[color=postingcolor][b]What pushes me back:[/b][/color] (dislikes)
[color=postingcolor][b]What makes me cower:[/b][/color] (absolute fears)
[color=postingcolor][b]Where I stand in battle:[/b][/color] (frontline, ranger, spellcaster if multiple, describe well)
[color=postingcolor][b]I fight best with:[/b][/color] (weapon(s), divers start with none)
[color=postingcolor][b]Inventory:[/b][/color] (Divers start with nothing except very simple clothing)
[color=postingcolor][b]Other:[/b][/color]
[/size][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
[align=right][size=15][u][color=white]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color][/u][/size]
[size=7][color=postingcolor]Username, [b]Posting Color(s)[/b][/color][/size][/align]

Dangerous Genius

Setting:

User Image

The world of Ethestria is loosely based upon the Norse Cosmology of nine worlds. Stretching the length of part of the world is a massive tree, known as Yggdrasil. It's scale is beyond anything that one could comprehend. It’s size is such that those who make their lives within its branches could be considered to be living in an entirely different world than those who live on the surface surrounding the tree, a realm known as Almoria. Those who live in Almoria are known as the Nymphs. The surface though is broken into five realms, Midgar at the center, Underwalt to the north, Carthas to the south, Ithis to the east and Terramina to the west. Deep below the surface where the Great tree's roots start to come an an end though is another world of it's own, a world of ice, the realm of Desparia. Those who live here are known as the Swart. In this perpetual night world of ice and snow is a vast landscape, at the center of which can be seen the massive tips of the roots of Yggdrasil hanging over an equally massive hole in the ground. The bottom of this hole cannot even be seen as to how far down it stretches. However the bottom of this hole is yet another realm. While one would not expect life to exist so deep down, the cold there is actually damped by the heat of the core of the world. This realm though is no oasis as it is seen as being in constant conflict. Those who enter here are known as the Unndid, though they are but guests in this forsaken land. Lastly, the great sky that stretches over the many realms is a final realm of itself. The realm of Asgard and those who live there are known as the Celestis.

Asgard
The realm of the vast sky. It is the only realm in which its inhabitants are capable of true flight. The realm of Asgard is actually a floating continent in the sky, unreachable by most beings. It is a truly beautiful place, often considered by many to be an oasis in the sky. The continent appears to literally float upon the essence that exists upon the surface below and it follows the currents that the essence creates in the sky. The continent itself is covered in lush green vegetation and many small rivers flow across the land, though they lead to one large river that flows off the side of the continent, raining lightly on the land below. The people who live here, live off the land and its fruits. They are every in tune with nature for this reason.

Almoria
The realm of the mighty tree. It is home to the only other inhabitants who are capable of flight, however their form of flight is gliding, as they cannot fly indefinitely as their bodies are too heavy for their wings to carry. Those who live here live off the fruit of the tree and make their homes within the notches in its wood, which protects them against the occasional rain from Asgard. Unlike Asgard, Almoria changes with the seasons as the leaves on the tree change colors, fall off, and grow back. As such, those who live there follow along with the dance of the seasons. Being high in the sky, their society is a great source of essence and as such they make use of this by using magic to assist in their daily lives, more so than other beings. Cities in Almoria tend to be build around the where the branches spread out creating multiple paths that lead in different directions. This allow for them to expand their cities without having to stretch them out along the length of the branches.

Midgar
The realm at the base of Yggdrasil. Those who live here make a living off many things, the fruit that falls from Yggdrasil, the food which they grow and harvest from the lush landscape, and even the creatures that live around the tree and many lakes that are spread out across the land. Rather than live with just the seasons, those that live here make use of the variety of foods they have access to, to stay in a state of constant progress and development. They tend to try and adjust the land and their surroundings to their uses more than they try and adapt to their surroundings. For this reason, they are more technologically advanced than the realms above them. As they are also more hunters than gatherers, they are also more focused on combat than those in the realms above them. Their cities though are more often gathered around the base of the trunk or far away from it, as the fruit which falls from the tree has been known to be large enough to crush entire structures. Essence in this realm is fairly abundant, but hardly used.
Cities:
Gilgamesh’s Hollow
Be’alwul’s Stand
Jehanne

Ithis
The realm of water. It is said that all rivers lead to Ithis, and this is very much so the case. This realm consists more of water than any other element. Those who live in this realm feed upon the creatures that live in its massive ocean that covers the majority of the realm. They have many floating cities upon the ocean, though the most well known one is Atlantis. It is the largest existing city in the realm and follows the water currents, occasionally coming close enough to Midgar to allow for trade between some of the outlying cities on the other realm. The seasons hardly affect Ithis, due to its large amounts of water and as such its inhabitants do not concern themselves with it. While it is not much more advanced technologically than Midgar, it is the only realm that has created containers that are airtight and is more magically advanced than Midgar. Essence is abundant here and often used to keep the cities themselves afloat.
Cities:
Atlantis
Mu
Rutas
Buyan
Lomea

Carthas
The realm of fire. Even the fires in Hel do not burn as hot as those in Carthas. This is due in part to the fairly active volcanic activity that happens in the realm. This is used to craft some of the best weapons and armor in the world though. On the other hand there is little vegetation in the land, much like in Desparia, though due to the heat instead of the cold. As such though, they rely on trade with the other nearby realms. In fact, Carthas is the biggest trading realms. Trading forged works for food from both Ithis and Midgar, they can trade the excess food they get to acquire the extra ore that miners in Desparia trade. Many of the big trading cities are at the edge of the realm close to their boarder with Ithis and Midar, however there are many smaller cities and towns that exist close to the active volcanoes, which is were the best blacksmiths come from.
Cities:
Damascus

Terramina
The realm of the mighty. Only the strong can survive in this realm. It is often described as an overwhelming forest. Vegetation is very abundant as well as the powerful and deadly creatures that live there. While from afar it is seen as very beautiful, those from other realms that have dared ventured there and lived to return would give horror stories. Those who live in this land have adapted to it and live off the land and the creatures that live there. Its people make use of the various poisons in the plants and creatures to kill their targets, which sometimes includes outsiders who venture into their land.
Cities:
Mintar

Underwalt
The realm of the earth. While at one point long ago it was like Carthas in having many active volcanoes, those mountains have long since lost their fire and are now mostly empty husks. The inhabitants of the realm have made use of this and turned the very mountains into their home. The sides mountains are fairly abundant with vegetation and wildlife that its inhabitants can make a fine living off them. Water flows down from the melting ice that exists at the tops of the mountains forming rivers and lakes. The inhabitants though spend a majority of their time inside the mountains though, mining the ores within the mountains. They are the most self sustained of any realm and prefer to stay that way.
Cities:
Eht
Alm
Ignaeus

Desparia
The realm of ice. It is an endless land of white snow and ice that seems to stretch almost infinitely in all but two directions, up and down. A cold and desolate land, those who live here make a hard living as there is very few plants capable of growing in the harsh conditions. As such, they are forced to rely more upon the meat gathered from the creatures that live in the land than the little vegetation that does exist. Though few exist, there have been found some natural paths up to the realms above which the inhabitants make use of to trade with those above them. The conditions here though had forced the people to make use of what they had and use force to get what they didn't. This lead to them being the most advanced of all the realms. The cities in this continent are often smaller than most cities in other realms as they are built more like forts, often hiding much of the city under the snow and ice to make use of the warmth that comes from the ground. While their cities are small from the outside, they are more densely populated as a result. The only source of light appears to come from the vast roots of the great tree and are believed to be sources of essence that have taken on a physical form of blue glowing spheres, which occasionally fall into the snow below; these spheres are often used as magical energy sources that are often used to power some devices. There is very little other sources of essence within this land aside from the spheres.

Hel
The realm of war. It is also known as the realm of the dead as many who passed away, go with their body down into the depths of Hel. They do not need to eat, but they are also not brainless zombies. Instead, this is a land of second chances. Those who live here fight for a chance to return to the realm they had come from, as they have left something behind and are not yet ready for the afterlife that awaits them in Valhalla. Those who are able to accomplish the goal set forth for them in this land have the privilege toreturning to their realm, however failures are not so lucky, and sadly, most are not so lucky. Many have visited Hel, some even have visited the realm many of times, yet the tasks set before them seem to be endless and not always as easy as they might seem at first glance. Essence in this land is strangely abundant, but its source is unknown.

Other Important Locations:
The Crescent - A large road spanning the borders of Ithis, Carthas, and Midgar.
The Shear Coast - The edge of Ithis and the other realms.
Spice Road - The only location in Ethestria where spices can grow.
Old Empire Road - The path which the troops of the Heptra Empire traveled.
The Descent - A volcano that collapsed into Desparia after the Old Empire fought Cherufe creating a natural road there.
Hallingar Isle - An island between Carthas and Terramina that is fought over by the two.
Aethervast - The magical forest of Terramina that is fed by Yggdrasil.
Enure - A lake between midgar and underwalt, its waters always especially clear
Umberwealt - A forest in Underwalt that seems to trap essence.

Dangerous Genius

The Inhabitants:

Celestis
Many imagine the Celestis to be like that of angels, which isn’t entirely wrong, however there’s more to them than that. They are one of the shortest races typically only around three foot six inches tall on average, not including their wings. It is important to note this because their wings are often larger than they themselves are. It is because of this that they are capable of flying all the way from Asgard to Midgar and back without the help of a strong wind. While they have the weakest bodies of all the races, they also have the longest life span. This is because their bones and bodies over all are very light so gravity doesn’t pull down on them as heavily, causing less stress on them. It should be noted though that they are the least prepared for war due to the nature of Asgard. They appear young till about 70, then look mature till 150; none have been seen to live past 200.
User Image

Nymphs
The only other race with wings aside from the Celestis, though they are not capable of the kind of flight that the Celestis are. Standing at around four foot six inches tall on average, they are known for their beautiful and young appearance as well as their pointed ears that point out to the sides more than up. While they are stronger than the Celestis, they focus more of their strength on being nimble as to avoid falling from the great tree. Due to the amount of essence, they tend to have longer lives and are wiser than many other races as a result, even though they are a bit weaker physically. They appear young till about 30, then look mature till 80; none have been seen to live past 100.
User Image
User Image

Demear
The common race, it is from the Demear that many of the other races on the lower realms came from after centuries of development. Standing at around five foot six inches tall on average, they are the closest race to that of humans on Earth. They live in both Midgar and Underwalt, though the two differ from there. Demear of Midgar are often a bit more graceful, working their minds and their blades in equilibrium. They spend much of their time doing activities that use both physical strength as well as mental strength. Demear of Underwalt on the other hand focus more on their blades than their minds. They spend much of their time doing activities that use their physical strength rather than their mental strength. They appear young till about 18, then look mature till 45; none have been seen to live past 80.
User Image

Caelum
A variation of the Demear. They are noted for their darker skin, due to how long they have lived in the hotter temperatures of Carthas, and higher mental prowess. They are typically a bit shorter in stature than the average Demear, but are roughly similar in every physical way aside from that. Mentally though, they are stronger spending much more of their time trading and bartering. However, they are not as wise as the Nymphs or Celestis. Some Caelum can be as strong as the average Demear and sometimes stronger if they have spent more time working as a blacksmith rather than a tradesman. Majority of Caelum people are tradesmen though. They appear young till about 18, then look mature till 45; none have been seen to live past 80.

Baskii
While the race is believed to have evolved from the Demear, they have undergone enough change that the resemblance is hard to spot. Standing at about four foot six inches on average, their skin is covered in a thin coat of fur that protects them against the poisonous plants within the forest in which they live, though it’s the shortest on their faces. Their fur also acts as a natural camouflage to hide them from potential predators. Their ears have changed the most to be like that of a cat’s which allow for better hearing so they can identify sounds from a greater distance and determine sooner if they should fight or flee. Claws and tails were developed over centuries to allow for more ease in climbing trees, keeping their balance in the trees, and fending off predators. Their notably cat like eyes have also adapted to allow them greater vision at night. Their nose and mouth though have changed the least. Physically, they are roughly as strong as the average Demear, but are more agile and quick but rely more upon instinct than wisdom. They appear young till about 16, then look mature till 45; none have been seen to live past 60.
User Image

Nizzag
Another race believed to have evolved from the Demear as well, they have undergone a bit of change biologically as well. Standing at about five foot tall on average, their skin has a rather scale-like feel to it and varies in hue. While the scales help protect them if they should bump or scrape themselves on a rock it’ll lessen the damage they feel, however it does nothing to protect against a real weapon or magic. They also known to have small fins, webbed fingers and toes, as well as gills on their neck. Smaller ears and noses and larger eyes are also common features of the Nizzag. All of these things allow them to swim under water longer, farther, and faster than any other race. For this reason, they sometimes submerge their homes during heavy storms to protect it from the forces of nature. While they have have a small resistance to water, it is only enough to protect them from their environment but not from magic. They appear young till about 18, then look mature till 45; none have been seen to live past 80.
User Image
User Image

Swart
Having traced their evolution back to earlier Demear, the Swart have always kept records of everything be it biology or recipies. Standing at four foot tall on average, they are not at all thin or weak like the shorter Celestis. They are known to be the strongest and hardyest of all the races. Their skin is a bit thicker than the average Demear, having adapted a bit to the colder weather of their realm. This gives them a sligh resistance to the cold, but would do nothing against ice magic. While they are stronger though, they are also completely inexperienced when it comes to magic, to the point it is said that they can’t use it. The Swart aren’t concerned about this as they have made up for it with enhancements in technology. While their most advanced weapons are the crossbow, which no other race has created, they have created many other devices to assist them in day to day life in Desparia. They appear young till about 18, then look mature till 45; none have been seen to live past 80.
User Image
User Image

Dangerous Genius

User Image

Timeline:

B.H.E. or B.E., also known as Before the Heptra Empire or Before the Empire. A.H.E. or A.E., also known as After the Heptra Empire or After the Empire. There aren’t many records from before the Empire except within Desparia.

~2000 B.E. - The oldest record from Desparia to be recorded.
0 A.E. - The Heptra Empire first began, preparing itself for war while scouting the other realms.
5 A.E. - The Empire began its war with Midgar.
55 A.E. - The Empire conquered Midgar and started preparations to conquer Carthas.
63 A.E - The Empire conquered Carthas and started preparations to conquer Terramina.
84 A.E - The Empire subdued Terramina and started preparations to conquer Ithis.
88 A.E. - The Empire conquered Ithis and stared preparations to conquer Desparia.
93 A.E. - The Empire came to a truce with Desparia.
104 A.E. - Basilisk locked away.
112 A.E. - Cherufe buried.
127 A.E. - Titan bound.
160 A.E. - Hel created by Thanatos.
~200 A.E. - The Heptra Empire came to an end.
214 A.E. - Creation of the Crescent started.
432 A.E. - The Crescent reached completion.
700 A.E. - The current time period. Current season: Summer.

History & Culture:

Asgard
Asgard consists of very few cities and towns within it due to its relatively low population. As such a high council rules over the continent and assigns a member of its committee to each province. While most of the year the high council is spread out over the provinces, they meet every three months to discuss matters of politics, economics, and other such matters. Due to the particular difficulty of reaching Asgard, it never fell under the control of the Heptra Empire. Few of its people believed the ideals that the empire followed and as such chose to stay out of the business of the lower realms. Those who agreed though had chosen to leave the floating continent and assist those on the world below. The main reason for their disagreement with the Empire’s ideals is that the people of Asgard worship the Xiht'raal, Theia, as their protector and guide. Offers of food and harvest are made to the deity to please them and continue to protect them. When someone commits a crime, they have important feathers that allow them to fly plucked and are sent out from Asgard, preventing them from ever returning.

The Celestis have beliefs about wing colors much like some civilizations have beliefs about constellations that people are born under. Most Celestis have colors like that of a birds, often having patterns of two colors, most often involving grey. White is seen as 'purity before all else' while black is seen as 'strength in hardship.' Grey is 'widsom with age.' Gold, which is the rares of colors, is seen as 'accomplish great deeds.' Some other rare colors are: green being 'one with the land,' red being 'strongly passionate,' and blue being 'calmness in action.' Purple, which is almost as rare as gold, is 'seclusion from nature.'

Almoria
Almoria consists of many independent cities, each lead by a wiseman and follow old customs as well as worshiping of the Great Tree. When a new town is founded, they plant a seed in the center of each town. This is done in the belief that it will grace and protect them while keeping Yggdrasil strong. Festivals are carried out with the seasons and are a time of celebration and they welcome other races to join in these celebrations. During festivals they make use of essence and magic for celebration and worship. Magic is also used to assist with daily tasks and to raise the standard of living. An example of this is the magical lights of Yggdrasil, which are simply magical lanterns shining from the cities. Back during the reign of the first empire, it was found how difficult climbing Yggdrasil could be and as such, it remained untouched by the empire’s reach. While some of the Nymphs had agreed with the beliefs of the Empire, they chose to exclude their own Deity and left to fight for the Empire. Due to greater ease of acquiring silk here, clothing made of the material doesn’t hold as much meaning in Almoria.

Midgar
Considered to be the land of origin, it is where man first appeared and grew. It is said that all people can trace their heritage back to Midgar. Many of the cities are build around the roots of the great tree, providing a natural wall against creatures and outside forces. As the people of Midgar grew and became more diverse, many people started to move away from the tree, first setting up smaller villages in the outskirts, though quickly finding that it was dangerous to be under the branches of Yggdrasil but not close to its base, as the fruit which fell from the sky would easily crush their homes. Still, the people of Midgar continued to prosper and spread out, many people eventually leaving the realm for other places. With time, those who left changed over time and became the many diverse races of Ethestria. The people of Midgar though, changed little, but still continued to grow. While often considered to be one of the strongest realms, its people aren’t entirely united. This was what lead to Underwalt managing to conquer the realm for if the people of Midgar fought together, they would have stood victorious. As such, it wasn’t till after the last of the Xiht’raal were defeated in which they were able to force out the Empire. After the Empire’s fall, some of the people in the outskirts of Midgar, close to Ithis and Carthas started construction of the Crescent. Being spread out and diverse as Midgar is, it has no central leader and instead each city is more unique and aimed to be self sustained. The cities within the realm tend to be more of a democracy though the largest cities tend towards being republics. The people of Midgar sometimes refer to the Baskii as “Skraelings” though the meaning is unknown. The Minualt is a popular dance here, which can be compared to a walts, however it has strict patterns with different songs.

Ithis
While consisting of a massive ocean, those who have lived here for centuries have found that they need somewhere to call home yet couldn’t live without air indefinitely, however they also couldn’t just go all the way to one of the few sparsely located islands in the realm as they were too far from the best locations. For that reason, early one when their people first arrived at the realm they started to create the many floating cities, making use of their magical knowledge to help keep them afloat. When the Heptra Empire arrived, they held enough knowledge of water to actually create warships to reach the floating cities, which really lacked any defenses, and conquered them with greater ease than Midgar. At the end of the Empire’s reign though, the people had advanced their technological knowledge and magic to allow them to easily sink and raise their cities which allowed them to break free of the Empire’s remaining power as the other races weren’t able to survive underwater as long as the Nizzag. While most of Ithis is a multitude of floating cities, they all respect the Queen of Ithis whom resides within the oldest city, which is Atlantis. Atlantis was also the first city to become submersible and broke away from the Empire’s rule. The Nizzag are very puntual about things; this is something that has trickled down from how important keeping the cities afloat is and they can’t afford to dilly dally in regards to that. Of the five realms, Ithis, Carthas, Midgar, Terramina, and Underwalt, Ithis is the best at the use of essence and using magic. As such, they are more known to try and put more effort into promoting the teaching of spells. However, their knowledge of magic pales in comparison to that of Almoria or Asgard.

Carthas
Carthas has been legendary for the high quality metal weapons and armors that its blacksmiths have been able to forge. While its largest cities are close to the border with Midgar, Ithis, Desparia, and the Crescent, there are a good many smaller towns spread out through the realm around its many volcanoes. The Unified Guilds of Damascus resides in this realm and represents the craftsmen of Carthas. This serves as both a resource for the various Guilds in the realm as well as a pseudo form of government. The Unified Guilds of Damascus works to allow for governed organization while focusing on economic growth. Its influence also stretches to other realms due in part to the Crescent. Carthan dancing is much more freestyle, making use of swords, batons, and torches to add meaning and expression to the dance. Marriage in Carthas is looked down upon by the other realms as it’s often compared to slave trading with how companions are bartered for. Granted, Caelum women are notorious for being rather loose and good in bed. Overall though, all people in Carthas join a guild as an apprentice by the age of eight and after seven years in their guild are often considered skilled enough in their trade to become journeymen. Apprenticeships exist outside of Carthas, but aren’t as prominent. Meals in Carthas are often spicier than those of other realms, as such, some here have taken entertainment in how other races react to the spicy food.

Terramina
Terramina has long since been known for its dangerous nature. Holding many of the world’s most deadly creatures, it is a wonder how people came to survive in this realm. The people of this realm live in rather spread out villages that are built within the forest’s canopy. There are few physical structures, but those that do exist look almost ancient and a few of them are covered in the blood of human sacrifices. Before the Heptra Empire’s reign, sacrifices were made to the Xiht’raal, Titan to prevent him from ravaging the forest. When the Empire first appeared, they were greeted by the Baskii’s poisonous weapons. If not for the understanding of the shared belief that the Xiht’raal needed to be stopped, the realms would have fought till either the Empire fled or killed everyone in Terramina. Following the binding of Titan to the land, the Baskii chose to not allow outsiders to enter their land again without good reason, partially in fear that someone might try and release Titan and let loose his rage upon the land. For that reason, they chased out those from the Empire who had come to the land and made examples to others of those who didn’t. The Baskii are know to almost never leave the forest, as such it is rare to see them in the other realms.

Underwalt
Underwalt’s history is quite profound and will forever inspire leaders of might. The Heptra Empire had its beginnings in Underwalt. As the realm has always been very self dependent, its people grew to believe that they were meant to rule over the other realms, however lacked any real motivation to bother the others as they lacked anything that the realm of Underwalt didn’t have. Things changed though when the deity, Basilisk, started to go after their own people. Initially they tried on their own to bring down the beast, but found that they lacked strength and numbers to be able to take down the Xiht'raal. After managing to trap it temporarily in one of the underground chambers within the Almium Mountains, they built up their military might and went about conquering and spreading their believe that the Xiht'raal needed to be controlled or defeated. After evaluating the other realms, they started with Midgar, starting the longest and bloodiest war in the Empire’s reign, the fifty years war. With the control of Midgar, they next took over Carthas by simply blockading the country’s trade routes until the country surrendered and fell to their knees. From there, the Empire had set its eyes on Terramina. Once more they faced a very bloody and long war, though it only lasted twenty years before their beliefs actually captured the attention of the Baskii and they agreed to work with them. Following their some what of a victory over Terramina, the Heptra Empire quickly conquered Ithis in the shortest war before attempting to conquer Desparia. The war with the frozen realm though lasted only five years before the Empire realized they couldn’t possibly conquer the frozen realm and came to an agreement with the Swart to work together on their goal.

With the might of the six realms which they could reach, the Heptra Empire set forth on its true task, controlling or defeating the Xiht'raal. Starting in their own realm first, they proceeded to work their way about the realms, defeating the Xiht'raal as they could. Basilisk was locked away into the lowest levels of Underwalt, never to see the light of day again. Cherufe was buried within the deepest molten pits of Carthas such that it may fall into the frozen wasteland of Desparia and be destroyed. The mighty Titan of Terramina was beaten as close to death as the races believed possible before binding beneath the ever growing forest. As it is the easiest to reach, the Baskii chose to refuse other races from ever entering the forest in fear that they may try and break the Titan free. The last of the Xiht'raal they could reach though was Thanatos, who was the strongest of the Xiht'raal. In fact, the Empire was never able to defeat it, even after the bloodiest of battles. Instead the Deity came to an odd compromise, he would create a realm of his own and not bother the other races, in exchange that those who died would fall to his realm first before they would be allowed to go to Valhalla. After working out and agreeing to the deal, Thanatos used a great deal of his might and essence to create the realm of Hel.

With the completion of its goal, the Heptra Empire considered trying to turn its eyes back to the skies in hopes to conquer the Great Tree and floating continent. However, the disharmony arose among the other realms over the idea of continued rule by the realm of Underwalt. The first to break away from the empire was Ithis with the sinking of its many cities, putting them out of the Empire’s reach. Following this, revolts and skirmishes broke out across the remaining realms, eventually bringing an end to the first Empire and the smelting down of many of the weapons of the age. Underwalt is considered to still be an Aristocracy.

Desparia
The frozen wasteland of seemingly endless despair, those who live here have managed to survive in this land though it took a great deal of time. While the land was frozen, it was found that if they dug down deep enough and constructed some fires with proper ventilation, that they could make a proper home beneath the frozen wasteland. That alone though wasn’t enough as they would fall victim to attacks by the other beings that lived in the realm as soon as they left their holes. For this reason, they constructed forts over their homes to allow them to return to the frozen land safely. As their civilization grew they found it vital to keep records of what things worked and what didn’t. They constantly worked to improve their technology as they found it to be more reliable than the magic they had originally learned before entering Desparia. It was their ability to adjust to the cold and forcefully survive in the frozen land that the Heptra Empire was unable to defeat the Swart and could only come to a truce. Following the pact with Thanatos the people of this realm decided that the terms agreed to in the truce were completed and chased out the Empire which had grown too spread out to be able to hold its stakes in the many realms. Desparia is known to be a representative democracy with a single voted for leader of the realm.

Hel
Created by Thanatos after the Empire’s attempt to defeat all of the Xiht’raal, it is a land created after the signing of a pact made with the diety. Thanatos created Hel using a vast amount of his strength and magic as well as almost all of the Essence within Desparia. Those who die in the eight other realms arrive first at Hel and from there will have one of three fates. If there is nothing more for them in the world, they are allowed to pass on to Valhalla. If they are not prepared though, they can try and fulfill a task for Thanatos to be allowed to return to where they had been. If they are successful, they return to where they had died and allowed to continue, however, failure results in them being trapped to serve Thanatos until the end of times. To amuse himself, Thanatos often has those who are trapped fight in large scale battles, knowing that the people cannot die again, yet still feel the pain.

Dangerous Genius

Chival Orders & Other Groups:

User ImageOrder of the Summer Moon - Order based in Underwalt, following the teachings of the Empire, this Order oversees the others. This order is known for its extreme methods, often sending new recruits into Desparia with minimal escort and boasts the longest history. Members of this Order tend to be standoffish, but skilled fighters.

User ImageOrder of the Winter Moon - An order that follows the teachings of the Skjaldmeyjar, or Shield Maiden. Possesses one of the lowest numbers as far as members, but has high respect from all other Orders. Based in Midgar, although does not keep many of it’s members in one place.

User ImageOrder of the Red Sun - Hailing from Terramina, the members of this Order are often brutal and quick. They are the only Order to allow the use of poison weapons. It should be noted that this Order, while feared, has never been at the start of an Incident.

User ImageOrder of the Pilgrim - A religious order who’s stated goal is to bring light to the dark places. They are the furthest reaching guild, and often the first to respond to threats. Does not boast much military might, however. Based in Midgar.

User ImageOrder of the Flowing Water - Based in Ithis, this Order oversees Ports and Relay Points on behalf of the Compact. Monetarily driven, they are usually the last to band with the other Orders.

User ImageOrder of the Three Realms - Based in Carthas, this order oversees the cities and towns along the Crescent. Driven both by duty and coin, they focus more on defending the Crescent.

User ImageSvedki Legion - An organization with a focus more on technology. Based out of Desparia.

User ImageMalastis Arcana - An organization with a focus more on magic. Based out of Ithis.

Xiht'raal - The deities of Ethestria, they are creatures that consist of a great amount of Essence.

Atlantean Compact - Helps to manage trade between some cities of Ithis and other realms.

Everyday use of magic in Almoria:

Magic Lanterns - Light the cities and towns of Almoria.
Magic Cooking Fires - To lessen the risk of damaging Yggdrasil, magic is used to cook instead.
Daystone - Uses essence to trap sunlight.
Updraft system - Used for trading with midgar, though only runs a couple times a year.
Enhanced instruments - Used to increase clarity and range of sound.
Farsight Crystal - Shaped as a telescope, but with only one lens.
Message stone - Contains a message that when essence is supplied, the message is delivered.
Essence Stone - Glows brighter when close to strong build ups of essence.
Mending Cloth - Placed over wounds to help in the process of recovering from injuries without concern for infection. Difficult to make.
Imbued Silk - Very high tensile strength often used in place of rope, yet easy to cut.
Roc Feather - A rare charm that protects against falls, sometimes. Vanish after use.
Bonding Rune - Binds the holder or object to a surface, as if their effective weight was 5x higher. Used to help resist strong winds while outside.
Muffle Cloth - Reduces noise passing through the cloth, often used in tents.

Combat and Warfare:

Health – This is not a set numeric value, but more of your ability to resist death. Though, that isn't to say that someone with strong willpower can resist death any longer than someone with a low willpower. Wounds, injuries, and ailments lower your ability to resist death and eventually if enough are gathered on someone, they will loose the ability to resist and die.

Healing Factor - Healing can only be done one of two ways potions and transfer of life. Potions are slow, healing over time making them helpful in a combat situation. Transfer of life on the hand is much quicker, but requires the healer to give up either their own health or another person's health.

Death - When someone dies, their body fades and vanishes, leaving their clothing behind. They then appear in Hel and must fulfill Thanatos's tasks to return, which as far as anyone knows, no one has successfully pull that off. Now, while they are dead, be it temporary or permanent, as there is no body to bury, the clothing left behind is considered a sign of someone who's died. For this reason, when someone dies, either their clothing or something wooden is burned in their place in respect for them. For this reason, it is disrespectful and frowned upon to loot the remains of someone who has fallen without burning something. This makes the people of Ethestria much more spiritual than physical and won't take the supplies of the fallen without first respecting them. If someone does however make it back from Hel, they will appear near where they died wearing just simple clothing, allowing them to retrieve their items most of the time. Ghosts are those who have only fulfilled half of Thanatos's task and thus he returns them only half way.

Stamina – All actions use stamina; sprinting, casting spells, swinging a weapon, etc. Each uses different amounts though and depending on how stats are allocated, one can sprint non-stop at the high levels without using any stamina, as sprinting uses the least stamina, unless you're wearing heavy armor. The less stamina you have, the more sluggish your actions are, thus it is wise to take a moment to catch your breath. Standing or walking regenerate stamina.

Magic – There is no “mp” for each character, rather, their surroundings decide how much magic can be used. The world is covered in an unknown source of energy known as essence. Some places are better at gathering essence, while others lack the ability to hold in essence. It is unknown what exactly is the source of essence, but it is believed that it comes from living beings or emotions as it gathers in locations where many people are gathered, though these areas typically loose the gathered essence quickly. For this reason, it is often best in a fight to start with magic as other wise all essence will be used up. On the other hand, spells are slow to cast making spell casters highly susceptible to being targeted and eliminated by rangers before the spell can be finished.

Spells – These are not just mere words spoken, but incantations that must be learned. Along with memorizing the phasing of the spell, one must also imagine how the spell appears in a physical form. Without that mental image, the spell cannot even take form. For this reason, just one basic spell can often take a caster months to learn to a point in which the spell is usable in combat situations while a powerful spell would take years of dedication. A single mistake in the casting of the spell can have major repercussions. While you can prepare a spell by saying all but the action word to cause it to fire, speaking anything but the action word will cause the spell to fail and backfire. Spells have one drawback though that's often forgotten and that is that they are indiscriminate of their target. Casting magic at close range can even lead to the caster killing themselves as well as their intended target.

There are two forms of spells, Creation Spells and Meditation Spells. Creation spells are purely destructive spells, named for how the user seemingly creates the elements out of thin air, though only can be used for certain elements, mainly fire, water, wind, ice, and lightning.

Meditation spells though seem to have a slightly different nature compared to Creation spells though. It is named for how the user must meditate on the spell more deeply and repeat a phrase of it over and over to have greater affect. The greatest requirements to these kinds of spells are stamina, strong imagination, and a high level of essence in the area. There's two kinds of meditation spells too, timed and permanent. Permanent only works on some items which are used to create the every day magic items used in Almoria. Timed on the other hand can be used for other items and improve them more physically, though these improvements can also be over done causing defects in the item they are used on. It also won't work to make a blade sharper as it only is an alteration of the item's properties. Only a crafter can improve qualities such as sharpness or repair an item.

Elements:
Fire tab tab tab Fr (Fur)
Water tab tab Ivace (e-vas)
Wind tab tab Yeo (yeo)
Ice tab tab tab Helv (hel-ve)
Lightning tab Tinor (ten-ore)
Wood tab tab Nirl
Stone tab tab Svo
Metal tab tab Cirn

Spell Casters – Those who are proficient at casting spells faster than others. While anyone can cast spells, they cannot compare to a spell caster. These people have spent their lives memorizing spells to the point of it being second nature and ingraining the very idea of what the spell appears like into their mind. Due to their dedication, even their lower level spells will be more powerful than someone who just managed to memorized a spell's basic form and can use it in combat. However, they can't instantly cast a spell without first speaking the majority of the spell and holding off on the action word that causes it to fire. Only those who have been studying spells for years are able to sense how much essence is in their surroundings.

Rangers – Those who are proficient at firing long ranged weaponry to hit a fine point target. Bows, crossbows, and slingshots are the main forms of long ranged weaponry. While most use bows and crossbows due to their power and ability to take down a target from afar in less shots, they come at the draw back of limited ammunition. Slingshots on the other hand while weaker also have the ability to make use of some items within the user's surroundings such as rocks. Some locations also some times favor slingshots to bows and crossbows. As such, Rangers are skill in learning how to adapt to their surroundings and use appropriate weaponry for the location. Some rangers have taken to also setting traps and camouflage to allow them to keep an opponent at a distance as long as they can.

Front liners – Those who are proficient at holding off an opponent in melee combat and holding their ground against multiple foes. Perhaps the most varied of all combatants, they are not limited to focusing on defense but also evasion. While some prefer the ability of those who can withstand multiple attacks by the use of strong armors and shields, there are some that prefer those who can avoid multiple attacks by evading and being light on their feet. Each has its benefits and drawbacks. As for weaponry, it varies almost as much as the styles used by those who choose to fight on the front lines.

Dangerous Genius

Key Features of Ethestria Warning: Spoiler!

Divers vs Inhabitants
Divers are players who have connected to the Master Computer System that holds the World of Ethestria. These players have lived their lives in our world and as such lack some of the experience than those who inhabit the world of Ethestria. Divers are people who played the death game, SAO, a little over a year prior to Ethestria but have no knowledge of this world. That is to say those who inhabit Ethestria were born and spent their entire lives in the world. This is because long ago in the history of Ethestria, divers created the first form of life within the game before leaving and allowing those born in the world to grow, live, prosper, and die. Centuries past as those artificial souls without bodies expanded their civilizations and traveled the realms. Yes, that is correct. Those who inhabit the world of Ethestia are artificial souls created by humans in our world. There are no A.I.’s. For this reason, Divers are unable to be any non-human race and are limited to entering the world as Demears or Caelum.

Time in and out of Ethestria
While in side Ethestria, time appears to move at the same pace as it does in our world, following a 24 hour day. However, the computer which holds the world of Ethestria is so powerful and advanced that a single day in Ethestria is equivalent to only a few seconds. This means that leaving the world of Ethestria would mean that the next time one should log in, a few years could have passed. Those who inhabit Ethestria though are completely unaware of this.

The Master Computer System
The framework which holds a vast world within it. It is housed within multiple complexes across world and connected by multiple methods including fiber optics and the latest in satellite networking. Each piece of the system is superior than the original system that started it under the program, Alicization. The system is capable of producing graphics to the point of true realism in a game that you wouldn’t realize you were in a game unless you had chosen to dive into the system before hand. These is nothing in the game that is immortal or cannot be destroyed. Due to how the system works though, not just anyone can login from anywhere. Thus subjects have been carefully selected to be a part of the project.

The Alicization Project
It was the first attempt to create artificial intelligence superior to the top down AI’s of the time, taking on a bottom up approach. To do this, they scanned the brains of young newborns and used the knowledge they had of how the mind and soul worked to create copies of the souls. These copies then became the starting block of the top down AI. To test how well they worked, they created a world and placed the souls into it. However, since they were too young to know how to do anything on their own yet, some of the members of the project dived into the world and raised them as if they were their own children. Eventually when the children were old enough to stand on their own, the project members left the world.

Inventory, stats, and the likes
Unlike in your typical virtual video game, Ethestria does not have any menus. Your inventory is literally what you have on your character. Stats are allocated automatically based off of how character play and their actions, meaning if someone fights more with armor on, their strength stat will increase, for example. This makes it easier for someone to better with a fighting style they are used to without the concerns of messing up their stats by pressing the wrong button.

A few notable stats can be viewed, but not affected, by drawing a symbol in the air and then tapping a target. The most notable stats are: health, though it's not just some number out of a total, weapon usage level for characters, item quality level for items, and then an ID.

Magic
The only time when someone outside the world can realize that this is a video game. All spells are set up in the form of lines of code. All spells start with a preparation line and end with an activation line. The more powerful a spell, the longer the lines between the preparation and activation will be. Holding off on speaking the activation line can delay the casting of a spell, but speaking anything other than the activation line, even sneezing, will break the spell and cause a miscast. Imagining the spell is just as important as repeating the words, if not more important.

Dangerous Genius

Banners:

User Image
[url=http://tinyurl.com/mc3d4uo][img]http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af273/amoster/The World of Ethestria/7d344820-4d89-42a2-a6f8-e619a450b144.jpg[/img][/url]

Affiliations:

User Image

The Forgotten Story - Sword Art Online

User Image

Dangerous Genius

The Characters:

Inhabitants ( 8 ):

User ImageName: Elsen
Rped by: katosa
Activity level: Active

User ImageName: Izumi Racine
Rped by: katosa