Welcome to Gaia! ::

hey guys it's oswald here. i am making a kh roleplay for all you guys out there we can use real and non-real charectors if you interseted than c'mon and join, all are welcome

Aged Browser

6,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
why yes that will be fun
kairi the key of light
why yes that will be fun

we are gonna use anouther rp, here go to:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/series-related-miscellaneous-role-play/the-princess-keyblade-o-a/t.79468711/

Distinct Conversationalist

OswaldTheLuckyRabbit1927
we can use real and non-real charectors
Aside from the fact that this is not the Chatterbox or Barton Town, and therefore not the place to post about roleplaying, I find the phrase "real and non-real [characters]" intriguing. Yes, I think I know what is meant: cannon and non-cannon. But it just calls to mind Umberto Eco's discussion of the ontology of fictional characters in Confessions of a Young Author. And if there are both real and non-real characters, what is the difference between them?
Kita-Ysabell
OswaldTheLuckyRabbit1927
Aside from the fact that this is not the Chatterbox or Barton Town, and therefore not the place to post about roleplaying, I find the phrase "real and non-real [characters]" intriguing. Yes, I think I know what is meant: cannon and non-cannon. But it just calls to mind Umberto Eco's discussion of the ontology of fictional characters in Confessions of a Young Author. And if there are both real and non-real characters, what is the difference between them?

I think the OP means characters already found in Kingdom Hearts and characters who will be invented by people.

5,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Spike Salad
Kita-Ysabell
OswaldTheLuckyRabbit1927

I think the OP means characters already found in Kingdom Hearts and characters who will be invented by people.

That would indeed be canon and non-canon characters.

None are real; never were and never will be.

Distinct Conversationalist

DarknessofHeavenandDreams
That would indeed be canon and non-canon characters.

None are real; never were and never will be.
Yup, just like I said: I think he meant cannon and non-cannon characters. Although it's possible he was referring to self-inserts ("real" because they have a counterpart in real life) and cannon and non-cannon characters who do not have counterparts in real life. Bleh. This is why you should say what you mean, and not something else.

Anyways, on the ontology of characters: me quoting Umberto Eco is a thing that keeps happening.
Quote:
Incomplete Possible Worlds and Complete Characters

By definition, fictional texts clearly speak of non-existent persons and event (and precisely for this reason, they call for the suspension of our disbelief). Therefore, from the point of view of a truth-conditional semantics, a fictional assertion always states something that is contrary to fact.

Nevertheless, we do not take fictional assertions as lies. First of all, when reading a piece of fiction, we enter into a tacit agreement with its author, who pretends that what he or she has written is true and asks us to pretend to take it seriously. In so doing, every novelist designs a possible world, and all our judgements of truth and falsehood relate to that possible world. Thus, it is fictionally true that Sherlock Holmes lived on Baker Street and fictionally false that he lived on the banks of the Spoon River.

That, of course, is just the beginning. It goes on for quite a bit. There are diagrams. It's very grounded, and yet very death-of-the-author-y. It has nothing to do with whether characters will get up and walk about on the street, and everything to do with why we react to them the way that we do ("Weeping for Anna Karenina" ).

So, taking all that into account, what might it mean for (still fictional) characters to be divided into real and non-real? Would a "real" character be one that is believable? one that's story has been written, rather than merely imagined?

Angelic Prophet

10,200 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
may i join?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers